West Bolton Golf Club

Driving range: No

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Course Layout: No ratings so far

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals beginners   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways

"First Time Golfing in Vermont"

sjc170's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2015

I was in the Burlington area for a long weekend to see the fall foliage and had some free time to squeeze in a round of golf. West Bolton GC had some Hot Deals available so I was able to get a great bargain on a Monday morning. The gentleman at the pro shop was very friendly and asked if I had played there before. When I said I hadn't he gave me a complimentary yardage book (normally $2) which proved to be very useful since the layout is a bit confusing. Also, there is a foot golf course which was cool to see but there were a couple of instances where I wasn't sure which flag to aim for!<br/> I was the first one on the course and able to walk the round in about 2.5 hours. The scenery is amazing which made the walk between shots that much more enjoyable. The course is pretty short, even from the back tees but you will still use most of the clubs in your bag. The course is wide open overall, but there are quite a few blind shots so the yardage book came in very handy.<br/> The only drawback is that most of the greens are not very receptive to spin so you have to adjust your approach shots accordingly. I hit a couple of wedges pin high, only to have them roll 5-10 yards off the back of the green. Aside from that, the course is in great shape and a true joy to play. If I ever visit the area again I will definitely make sure to play this course again.

"A Must Play!"

csobrien9's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2015
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Had a great experience! This course is truly a hidden gem. I was a little hesitant after seeing the price so low but I would have payed double the amount.<br/> The staff was very knowledgable, helpful, and friendly. After searching for my ball on one of the holes an outside employee took the time to walk over and help me search.<br/> After the round I sat on their beautiful patio to enjoy a local beer and snack.<br/> For anyone who is looking to get away to some peace and quiet this is a great place. I will certainly be back soon.

"Challenging"

john3825's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2015

Was rained out after 12 but I will definitely be back. Course is varied and challenging. Leave your driver in the bag on many holes. Staff was very courteous and even apologized for the rain. Great mountain golf with some blind shots and lots of elevation changes. Tiny greens so bring your A game.

"This course had spectacular views"

stevejs53's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Couse design was a problem. Too narrow in a lot of spots. No forgiveness left or right on some holes.

"Last Minute Choice"

Brett9369058's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Originally I set out to ride the ferry over to Peru, NY and play a different course. The ferry was closed. Then I headed interior to Barre to play the Country Club, it was closed due to a tournament. As I sat in the parking lot at Barre, I googled mapped courses within an hour of my location. The options were limited. I decided to play this course from aerial photos. The area is beautiful. It is in a bowl below Mt Mansfield. It has a share of flat and hilly holes. Small greens that were not receptive, early in the season. The biggest knock I had was with the group of older fellas that felt it was their right to snub the group of teenage walkers who were playing behind them. These older fellas would not let the teenagers play through. It was an age thing I suppose. The teenagers let me play through them in an effort to put pressure on them. After about three holes of riding their coat tails, they allowed me to play through. They were ticked though. Once I played through them, I caught up to a twosome of older fellas who were really upset when I caught up to them. They were on a green and I laid up about 30 yds short on a par 5. As I drove up, they stopped putting and asked me where I came from. I suppose they thought I started on back nine and jumped groups. The old fella was really ticked when I answered I came from the tee. Once they got to the tee, I drove up and they asked me if I was on a time crunch. Well, it was Saturday at 6p, 2 hrs of light left and know one in front of them. I said no, but asked if I could play through in order to finish the course. Reluctantly, they allowed it. So, if you have old local fellas in front of you, beware. They think they own the course and don't want you on their butt. The course is worth the drive and the views. Not a top quality course but if you are in the area, it is playable.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great course. Friendly people. Beautiful area"

James4357945's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2015

Great and fun course. Beautiful area. Inexpensive and good quality course. Not too busy either

"Perfect day for golf"

Prmandabm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Every October I come to Vermont to hunt and play golf. West Bolton is always on my list to play.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"I had played this course last year."

montourj's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2014

didn't play got sick night before, so my son took my place and enjoyed it.

"West Bolton"

Anthony9713258's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Came to play on a work trip. Getting there was a little different. Make sure you have a GPS.

Greens were in fantastic shape for early fall. I played as a single and finished in about 3 hours. Staff was super friendly, gave me a pro guide of the course which helped with where the holes were. You can get lost easily

Would play here again in a heartbeat!

"Hidden Gem"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2014

Lots hidden trouble. Play with a member or someone who has played it before. Great short course. Lots of trouble to get into on the front but the back nine opens up for good scoring. Highly recommended.

"Good value"

johnpaine's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We were looking for a place to play in the Stowe, VT region. We had played another course and this was the next closest public course. Course fairways were in good shape. As always in public courses there were a number of ball marks on greens left unrepaired. Greens were true. We found out where not to go on some holes - there are positioning challenges. Owner was very pleasant and willing to discuss the heritage of the course.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Great deal"

Ashton1748376's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2014

Course was in great shape and is challenging well worth the trip. If your GPS takes you on snake island road don't take it because the road does not connect.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Good course for my level"

Gary7760462's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2014

For context I am a mid 90s golfer and not a long hitter. Course was in generally good shape. Pace of play was excellent. I went out as a single and played 18 in 3 hr 10 (with cart). Rough was not very rough which was both good and bad. Good obvious. Bad in that it sometimes made spotting which way the fairway went tough. The yardage book helped but I did find myself on the wrong fairway once. I know you are smiling now but I can say I wasn't the only one on the course having that issue.

One other thing, I was staying at Smuggler's Notch. The app says it's 12 miles but I think that is only true if you have a plane or copter at your disposal otherwise count on a 45 minute drive.

"A most enjoyable experience"

u194678929's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I am use to playing the courses in Maryland and PA that are flat and have moderate bunkering. This course proved to be challenging in a good way. The fairways are tight on some tee boxes and generous on others. Enjoyed the course and look forward to plying it again in the future as I did not play it smartly. I needed to leave the driver in the bag on some tee shots.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"West Bolton"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I really enjoy playing this course as it's fairly open and plays favorably for a left to right golfer such as myself.

"Great views of the mountains"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Enjoyable course situated on the side of the mountain offering some pleasant views. Very friendly staff. Local members asked me to join them for the round.

"great scenery"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2014

I enjoyed the course and the 3 people I played with. However, it would have been to our advantage to have a local play with us.

"Hidden Gem"

Brian9287452's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2014

This course was a hidden gem. Course setup and conditions were near perfect. Pace of play was exceptional. Highly recommend.

"Unexpected value"

caayotte's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2014

For the price we paid the course was an unexpected pleasure. Staff and members alike were friendly and informative.

"great time"

mson's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2014

Basically the condition of green was nice and acceptable. The views were fantastic and the people at the prishop were friendly.