Omni La Costa Resort & Spa - Champions Course

3.9182058824 3.9 stars from 5 (205)

Golf school / academy: Yes - "La Costa Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Located north of San Diego in Carlsbad, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is a legendary golf and wellness getaway in southern California. The resort, which opened in the 1950s, has hosted 37 elite PGA Tour events. The Champions Course features a serene setting that meanders through peaceful wetlands over landscaped bridges and rolling hills. The course underwent a significant renovation in 2011 by Steve Pate, Damian Pascuzzo and Jeff Brauer, which included four brand new holes and improved irrigation and soil for improved course conditions year-round.

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

gunrock078's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2018

Staff was super friendly. Finding the club house was a little confusing to find inside the resort. Course was in great shape. Played 18 in just under 4 hours. Would definitely play this course again.

damongilliland's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2018

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2018

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for playing with us and taking the time to review!

"Great value"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018

Before booking my tee time, I checked out a few of the reviews. Some of the reviews were not very positive, so when I booked my tee time at a discount price, I wasn't expecting a whole lot. Man, was I wrong. Very friendly pro shop staff, especially David, friendly starter, but most of all, I thought the course was in great shape. The greens were the best I played in the San Diego area. Will for sure return.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thanks so much for playing with us and sharing your feedback! Our new Director of Golf Course Maintenance is doing great things out there! Come back and see us again soon! Dustin

knipster7's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2018

Excellent day of golf. Terrific course, staff even better.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thanks knipster7 for the great review! The cooler temps in the spring kept the grass dormant longer than usual and resulted in a good amount of negative reviews. Temps are up and the turf is thriving. Come see us again and thank you again for playing La Costa! Dustin

"Golf as it Should Be"

DrGonzalez's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

Omni La Costa was great. The grounds leading up to the course are very impressive. The valet took my clubs from the trunk of my car and down to the carts. He also asked if I had played there before and gave me directions to the pro shop. While getting to the pro shop was a little convoluted it was not to bad. I was attended to quickly and professionally. It was a busy day but the quickly got me and my bags onto a cart and pointed me to the driving range and 1st tee. Balls for the driving range were included so I warmed up as much as I liked. I rolled a few on the putting green and felt the greens as smooth and FAST. The starter was a little prickly but helpful. There are a few forced carries when you tee off and ditches to clear on approach but overall nothing overwhelming. The fairways were fantastic; fluffy and green. The greens were like glass. After the round, they took my clubs from the cart to the valet station while I visited the 19th hole. A great experience.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you DrGonzalez for playing with us and for the great review! We appreciate your support and hope to see you out again soon. Dustin

Neal1502796's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2018

Played legends course.

Great pace

Got a hot deal, well worth the money.

Greens a little slow.

Fun round.

Worth 50-70$ max will be back

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for playing with us and looking forward to seeing you again soon! Dustin

smahramnia's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2018

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for playing with us and sharing your feedback! Dustin

"Resort Golf"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

The resort and course far exceeded my expectations. Having never been here before, even though I'm a local, I was extremely happy with my experience at La Costa Resort. Staff was top notch and from the looks of it, outside looking in, the amenities are amazing. Can't wait to come back for a round and possibly a stay-cation.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thanks for playing with us and for the kind words! Staycation at La Costa is a must! Thank you again and hope to see you soon. Dustin

"La Costa south"

u819534904's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2018

Good course but ended up in a 5 person group. Very slow.

"Aging yet still wonderful"

zrick1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018
First time playing Used cart

I played both courses at the Omni La Costa and both were fun and challenging. They are two totally different types of experiences as the legends is a lush green country club/resort type experience and the champions is a less manicured desert/natural grasslands experience. I was amazed how wide open the tee times were and how i didn't ever see another golfer within 2 holes of me. played 3 rounds here and played each in under 3.5 hours.

eddog171's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018

Not a huge fan. Resort is amazing but would never pay that much for a mediocre golf course. For the money, not worth it. GolfNow deal yes otherwise no way. But resort is amazing.

"Lendgends course"

harry6119033's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2018

I got a 1:00 start and played in 3:30 mins , The course was in great condition

"Simply ok"

SpencerOWitt's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

I played the legends course for $50 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. First impression is they need signs directing you from the parking lot to the pro shop. It’s kind of a long walk to carry your clubs but I could have dropped them off as it turned out but there were no signs. It feels like more of a resort than a golf course because that’s exactly what it is. It also appears they have let the course get run over a little bit but overall it’s in fine condition. They were doing some repair work on the greens and blamed conditions on the weather. I wouldn’t pay more than $75 to play here. They’re definitely living off the reputation of the past.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

When I showed up I was excited. I remember this course from the PGA tour events and had high hopes even though I have read some of the reviews. Unfortunately others were right. The resort is beautiful, everything is perfectly manicured. The golf course, not so much. The greens were decent, the fairways were ok, but a lot of them were patchy and had clumps of crab grass. Plus there are birds and bird poop everywhere on some holes. The guy in the pro shop was nice, the cart guys were ok but basically ignored me. Overall disappointed, especially with what this place costs. Maybe it's because it is still winter, I would like to try it again when it warms up, maybe the course will look better. But as expensive as it is, unless I find a great price on Golf Now or something, I'll go somewhere else. That are plenty of places local that are far less expensive and in better shape

Commented on 07/15/2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! Would love to have you back now that the temperatures are warm, the grass is thriving again - it's amazing what couple months can do for conditions. Email me dustin.irwin@omnihotels.com when you are ready to come back.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

The resort itself is amazing, absolutely beautiful. The course is a fun layout, but not in great shape. It's ok, not terrible like others have said, but there are a lot of areas that are patchy and or have clumps of crab grass growing. Many of the bunkers were low on sand. The greens were fun and rolled nice. The biggest issue is the birds around all the water. Pop everywhere. Overall, decent course, but over priced. For about $50 I would say it was worth the money. Lastly, mats on the driving range. Annoying that there isn't a grass hitting area for what this place costs. There is a nice pitching and chipping area though

"Very Disappointing Champions Course"

Forest92's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

Greetings and the starter were fine, but the course was very disappointing. Fairways were patchy, traps everywhere with different levels of compaction. The greens had a lot of subtle turns and sadly a lot of different speeds? Talking of speeds it was slow and nobody around to do anything about it.

I think this place is living on its past and resort guests, not worth the price.

"Legends golf course at Lacosta, Needs a lot of work"

u337671958's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2018

We were looking forward to playing golf at Omni Lacosta Resort golf course. From the first hole, we knew the course was in poor shape but we had no idea how bad it was. As we continued to play the fairways became worse. The fairways were clumps of grass, mixed in with bare areas, clumps of weeds, covered with duck mess; some spots were so bad we had to move our balls to hit without stepping in the mess. Add to this, a poorly maintained restroom and you have a failing grade in what should be, a very nice golf course.

if properly maintained , this could be a fun course.

Commented on 03/26/2018

u337671958 thanks for playing with us and sharing your feedback. It's amazing what a difference 1 week makes! Our fairways on Legends are Paspalum, which is a warm season grass. When the night temperatures stay in the 30's and 40's, the grass goes off-color and is not an attractive color. After the recent rains and warming temps, the fairways are green and lush. Please drop me an email dustin.irwin@omnihotels.com and let me know when you can come back and see Legends again. Dustin

"Quite disappointed"

Brently26's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2018

Did not live up to my expectations. Conditions were rough, I thought maybe it was just the time of year but I went to other courses and they were great.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

Commented on 03/26/2018

u000004737228 thank you for the great review!