Omni La Costa Resort & Spa - Champions Course

Golf school / academy: Yes - "La Costa Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Located north of San Diego in Carlsbad, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is a legendary golf and wellness getaway in southern California. The resort, which opened in the 1950s, has hosted 37 elite PGA Tour events. The Champions Course features a serene setting that meanders through peaceful wetlands over landscaped bridges and rolling hills. The course underwent a significant renovation in 2011 by Steve Pate, Damian Pascuzzo and Jeff Brauer, which included four brand new holes and improved irrigation and soil for improved course conditions year-round.

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

When I showed up I was excited. I remember this course from the PGA tour events and had high hopes even though I have read some of the reviews. Unfortunately others were right. The resort is beautiful, everything is perfectly manicured. The golf course, not so much. The greens were decent, the fairways were ok, but a lot of them were patchy and had clumps of crab grass. Plus there are birds and bird poop everywhere on some holes. The guy in the pro shop was nice, the cart guys were ok but basically ignored me. Overall disappointed, especially with what this place costs. Maybe it's because it is still winter, I would like to try it again when it warms up, maybe the course will look better. But as expensive as it is, unless I find a great price on Golf Now or something, I'll go somewhere else. That are plenty of places local that are far less expensive and in better shape

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

The resort itself is amazing, absolutely beautiful. The course is a fun layout, but not in great shape. It's ok, not terrible like others have said, but there are a lot of areas that are patchy and or have clumps of crab grass growing. Many of the bunkers were low on sand. The greens were fun and rolled nice. The biggest issue is the birds around all the water. Pop everywhere. Overall, decent course, but over priced. For about $50 I would say it was worth the money. Lastly, mats on the driving range. Annoying that there isn't a grass hitting area for what this place costs. There is a nice pitching and chipping area though

"Very Disappointing Champions Course"

Forest92's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

Greetings and the starter were fine, but the course was very disappointing. Fairways were patchy, traps everywhere with different levels of compaction. The greens had a lot of subtle turns and sadly a lot of different speeds? Talking of speeds it was slow and nobody around to do anything about it.

I think this place is living on its past and resort guests, not worth the price.

"Legends golf course at Lacosta, Needs a lot of work"

u337671958's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2018

We were looking forward to playing golf at Omni Lacosta Resort golf course. From the first hole, we knew the course was in poor shape but we had no idea how bad it was. As we continued to play the fairways became worse. The fairways were clumps of grass, mixed in with bare areas, clumps of weeds, covered with duck mess; some spots were so bad we had to move our balls to hit without stepping in the mess. Add to this, a poorly maintained restroom and you have a failing grade in what should be, a very nice golf course.

if properly maintained , this could be a fun course.

Commented on 03/26/2018

u337671958 thanks for playing with us and sharing your feedback. It's amazing what a difference 1 week makes! Our fairways on Legends are Paspalum, which is a warm season grass. When the night temperatures stay in the 30's and 40's, the grass goes off-color and is not an attractive color. After the recent rains and warming temps, the fairways are green and lush. Please drop me an email dustin.irwin@omnihotels.com and let me know when you can come back and see Legends again. Dustin

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

Commented on 03/26/2018

u000004737228 thank you for the great review!

"LaCosta-worth giving it a try"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2018

I saw LaCosta on TV for the better part of three decades so it’s always interesting to play it. During the redesign in 2011 they obviously took out a lot of trees-course looks quite a bit different than what I remember on TV. Most holes are fairly generous off the tee-seemingly-but but fairway bunkering certainly pinches in fairways.Greens were in excellent condition and overall, the green complexes are very challenging-deep bunkers, closely mown areas around the greens in places and deeper rough elsewhere-a nice combination.

"Not Up to Par"

rclem508's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2018

I've been wanting to play here for some time and was thrilled to find a sweet deal on Golfnow. However, anticipation quickly turned to disappointment as the course conditions were only so-so...at best! Add slow play, no marshals (had to skip 2 holes to get around) and poor service with no bag service after the round, it all adds up to a poor experience. Only the fact that I snagged a deal price stppped me from asking for management attention.

"La Costa just OK"

cory94's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

Too many, way too many birds. Dung all over except greens., but greens so so anyway. The spray used ruined my white golf shoes.They should let you know ahead that at the tee time booked you won't finish because tournament on that day.

"A little rough around the edges"

Benedict9997017's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

As a former PGA Tour stop, I was expecting more pristine conditions. I remember the rough being really lush and green, and at times punishing, but the dormant Bermuda was fairly easy to hit out of. I remember the first time I played here I would lose balls a yard off the fairway because the rough was so thick. Greens rolled fine, but they weren't in really great shape. I got a Hot Deal, but considering the conditions, the $75 (before GN fees) was a little pricy. Pace of play was pretty good, considering I teed off at 12:30 on a Saturday and the round took just over 4 hours.

Commented on 02/14/2018

Benedict9997017 thanks so much for playing with us and for the feedback! We have lots of thick rough on the Legends Course, where we overseed with Rye. We want the Champions Course to play firm and fast. Greens are rolling nicely but we need rain! :) Keep us in mind for future rounds and thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Dustin

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2018

u000005889959 thanks for playing with us and for sharing your feedback! Dustin

u725420034's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2018

Commented on 02/15/2018

u725420034 thanks so much for the great review! Hope to see you out again soon.

Commented on 02/14/2018

u725420034 thanks so much for the great review! Come back and see us again!

"Simply a great place to play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2018

Solid course - 16/18 greens were in very good condition. One was due to ducks crapping all over it - literally was unplayable. The other was due to too much water and was a combination of grass, dirt, mud and filled in new grass patches (hoping they fix this on soon)

I would play this course again without hesitation! Great track!

Commented on 02/15/2018

u714956619 thanks so much for the great feedback! Assuming you played the Legends Course - we are trying to come up with a humane way to handle the hundreds of coots that make our course home for the winter. On the other green (probably #2), we are working through some shade and air movement issues on the back of the green. Thanks again for your review and hope to see you soon. Dustin

"Great atmosphere for all levels of golf"

Artiegolf1970's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/21/2018

This place is always a pleasure to come and challenge your golf game . They have tees to suit all levels of golfers . Staff are friendly and the facilities are exceptional .

Commented on 02/15/2018

Artiegolf1970 thanks so much for the great review and hope you can come back to see us again soon. Dustin

"Always fun to play but..."

hammer74's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2018

La costa offers some of the finest golf course in North San diego and we love coming out here to play. Conditions are for the most part in good to excellent, although there are a few holes where there are lots of bird poop all over the tee and green (which we hope the management can address at some point).

One factor that makes coming here less fun is the fact that they reserve one course for members only so there is only 1 course available for play for public and resort guest. This is such a downer given that if you are staying here, you do not want to play the same course twice when there is another course available. Why don't they just reserve some slots for the members and let resort guest have some slots for both courses? I know they want to keep the members happy but what about resort guest?

Golf staff was friendly and efficient. Proshop was well stocked. Driving range - mats were kinda worn off and old which was not up to par for a course that charges premium for golf.

Greens are pretty nice. They rolled true. Well maintained.

Bunkers well stocked and consistent.

Layout was ok. Some interesting holes although i feel a bit more claustrophobic at Legends with some homes very close to the holes.

i still prefer Champions over Legends but didnt get a chance to play that since it was blocked off for members that day.

Commented on 02/15/2018

hammer74 thanks so much for playing with us and for your feedback! Certainly understand your desire to play both - we do alternate member only course daily. It's a delicate balance keeping everyone happy but we do our best. :) Hope to see you again soon. Dustin

Klasmec's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/04/2018

It was a rough start with getting onto the course. So much going on and its a big resort! Lots of tourists and stuff! You will see what i mean!

The staff was friendly...

The course was nice after about 3 or 4 holes. The greens were a little sandy, fast, and slow.... but thats golf for ya! Its a bit expensive for food but then agaim, its at an expensive resort.

I booked it on golfnow and got a good price. We would never pay over 100.00 TOP!!!!

It is a ptetty course. The trees, water, homes flowets etc all very nice.

On the first hole, the bridge seems to be in the middle of the fairway making it a little tough. Coiple other little complaints .... but overall its nice to play...

Commented on 02/15/2018

Klasmec thanks so much for your review! Glad you enjoyed it and yes, always something happening at La Costa! First time on property is a little intimidating - I would recommend using our complimentary valet parking for the best arrival/departure experience. Hope to see you again soon. Dustin

"La Costa way too much"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

Very overpriced for poor condition, slow play and mediocre layout. Extremely busy also. I’d recommend finding another course for this kind of money!!

"Average"

hammer6660's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/25/2017

Really disappointed in the conditions. Isn't this supposed to be a premier course?

Many greens had sections of sod that were being replaced.

Greens were over sanded. Fairways not that great.

"Bird droppings and a two some that CANNOT PLAY GOLF"

adicom's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

I have played La Costa many times, probably 50 or more. I love both courses and layouts. The greens on Legends were sanded but rolled true. Some bare spots. The issue was BIRD DROPPINGS WERE EVERYWHERE. Literally stepping in piles and putting on a green filled with clump and piles of bird excrement. Coots are the issue, thousands of them Somehow they need to be reined in. Then a twosome in front of us taking 10-15 fairway shots. Not exaggerating, and no marshal to tell them to let us play through or even to hurry them up. We finally passed them on 7. The group in front of them was on 11 when we finished 7. The staff needed to be on this. The pace was great after passing them. But the bird droppings must be addressed.

"Great Course and Staff!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2017

I live in the area and have been wanting to give this course a try. The course did not disappoint, my game on the other hand....

The staff was phenomenal in guiding us from the check in all through post round. Once you get set with your cart, you'll see some great views as you warm up. It would have been a challenge to get to the driving range without the staff pointing us in the right direction.

The course was in great condition and the pace of play was in line with our game. For the majority, the course has some give for a few errant (because we all have them) and give you a chance to compete.

Of course the weather was perfect, but when is it not in this part of town. Dustin and the team took great care of us and I'm sure will take great care of you too!

"Good older course"

chucklehead51's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

Had a chance to play La Costa for the first time last week. Followed a junior tournament, so pace was great as most players were done on the course.

Nice layout with good variety of holes. Fair amount of parallel holes with few holes that would be considered memorable. Overall good condition with fast, firm greens. Some patches on greens where repairs had been made but no real problem. Staff was great and facilities are top notch. Would happily play here again but would not pay over $75 as there are more interesting courses in the area.

Only real down side is the chaos in the parking area in front of the clubhouse. This entrance area serves not only the two golf courses, but the entire hotel, function and food venues, so there are tons of cars converging on this small area at the same time. Just poor design from back in the day.

Commented on 12/15/2017

chucklehead51 Thanks so much for playing with us and glad you enjoyed the golf experience! Come back and see us again soon.