Pleasant Valley Golf Club

2.1

Pleasant Valley Golf Club sits just south of Dulles airport, but the expansive layout, which is absent of homes, feels much more secluded. The parkland layout tumbles across a diverse landscape of rolling hills and grassy meadows covered with hardwood forests. There is plenty of diversity throughout the golf course with some holes that are bunker-less contrasting with the links holes that have Scottish-style bunkers. One of the most memorable holes is the par-5 fifth. After an uphill tee shot with a bunker on the right and a waste area on the left the second shot presents multiple choices. To the left you could take a risk with trees and a bunker but you could possibly be rewarded with a better angle for the third shot while the right side option will require a third shot over a large bunker to reach the green.
Pleasant Valley Golf Club
Scorecard for Pleasant Valley
Gold M: 73.5/138 366 375 596 222 545 428 186 386 329 3433 524 191 479 563 152 450 333 394 396 3482 6915
Blue M: 71.7/135 354 353 551 199 521 398 172 360 305 3213 508 174 460 534 128 428 311 378 375 3296 6509
White M: 69.0/129 343 321 515 189 497 352 155 326 286 2984 484 135 352 504 117 389 293 356 339 2969 5953
Red W: 69.6/128 281 288 447 152 460 288 94 284 233 2527 462 106 278 435 98 329 278 286 307 2579 5106

Year Built 1998
Architect Tom Clark (1998)

Dress code Proper golf attire is required for all practice facilities. NO t-shirts, denim, or cutoffs.

Great layout but subpar mtn

PV is a fun course with a great layout. It is challenging enough for golfers of all levels.

But man they need to work on the tees and greens... and i mean put some serious effort into them.

familiar course

Course is just right difficulty for me. I needed to play. Course was very wet, but playable. I assume other local courses were also wet.

Nice layout

Mid November was okay to play here. Rain effects such as puddles and lots of water in the bunkers remained even after a couple of days. Still a good course I think.

Commented On 2018-11-27T17:40:08.000+00:00

Thank you for the review and for playing PV!

Worth it!

My friend and I spotted a Hot Deal on GolfNow and decided to try this track in Chantilly, despite several unfavorable reviews about the course and tee boxes we read online. So glad we did, as we really enjoyed the layout, and the course has clearly bounced back from some tough weather this year. Although the tee boxes wont fully recover until Spring, all but 1 greens were in nice shape and rolled smoothly, and the fairways were largely in great shape in spite of the deluge. Look forward to another loop.

Commented On 2018-11-27T17:39:39.000+00:00

Thank you for playing and the review! We have certainly worked hard on bouncing back with conditions this late fall!

Better than most of other course in the area

Recently most of courses in the area were suffered by wet-weather in this September. I wouldn't say the course condition was best but it was better than most of other courses in the area. the greens were relatively fast and the roughs were well maintained.

Commented On 2018-11-27T17:38:47.000+00:00

Thank you for playing and thank you for your review!

Used to be better

Hadn't played here in a while, used to be much better. I know they have been fighting with the wet summer/fall, but so are other courses, and they're doing a much better job. Greens were in rough shape, too. Pace of play was great, until at the turn we caught up to the foursome in front of us who (obviously members because they told us) were painfully slow. Front 9 - an hour and 45 min, back 9 - almost 3 hours.

Commented On 2018-11-27T17:41:04.000+00:00

We are sorry about the pace of play on the back nine! You are correct that we have been fighting tough weather conditions this year and we are trying our best to get the course back in great shape for spring 2019!

Played behind 4 awful golfers who would spend 10 minutes looking over their triple bogie putts, never saw one Marshall, course looks like it hadn’t been worked on in years, this place is a true dump, I will never ever play there again and will let all my friends and family know to stay away

Terrible Conditions

Played a round during the weekday so not too many people out there, which helped with pace of play. With that said, the condition of the course was in terrible shape. Many of the greens were in terrible conditions as well as many tee boxes and fairways. Not sure what happened, because South Riding, which is right next to Pleasant Valley, seems to be in much better condition. I wouldn't play unless you get a great deal on a tee time

somewhat pleasant valley

The round of golf was most enjoyable. The course was in decent condition. The bunkers had fresh sand and the fairways were well manicured. The greens were quite spotty, but most were in playable condition. The weather was a perfect early Fall day.

Commented On 2018-10-18T14:20:29.000+00:00

Thank you for the review! It was a tough summer for grass growing, but we have made big strides on bringing the tee boxes back. Two our our greens are still damaged and we are working on those as well.

awful condition

I understand the area has been saturated with rain, but Pleasant Valley right now is anything but pleasant. The tee boxes were half gone... no grass, just sand. Half of the putting surfaces had huge areas that were bare ground. I expected the rough to be long... no problem. But the fairways were long as well. I understand it might have been difficult to cut them give the amount of rain the course had taken. So why am I so down on them? Simple... courtesy! If you manage a golf course and for whatever reason the course is in awful condition you should say so... and you should NOT charge your regular fees. I acquired the tee time through golfnow, so a refund wasn't possible or we would have walked off the course after the third hole. It's that bad!

Nice lay out

The courses has a great lay out and good holes. The course was in rough shape. The tee boxes are in poor condition.

Commented On 2018-10-18T14:18:37.000+00:00

Thank you for the note and we have made some big improvements in the past 4 weeks. The tee boxes are in much better shape. Two of our greens still have some damage, but the majority of the course is in great shape!

Wettest course I have played , tee boxes and greens poor condition

Not worth the money I paid $69 hot deal on a Saturday

Poor Course Conditions

Played this course several times this year but this was the absolute worse. Will not renew advantage card this year. Tee boxes were all dirt and no grass. Greens had crabgrass growing on them. Couldn’t tell difference from fairways or rough. I know it’s rained a bunch this year, but other course did a good job in maintaining their courses. Not sure why this one didn’t. Certainly not worth the price. And apparently it’s ok for groups to play loud music on the course as was the case when I was out there. Music was loud and Marshall drove around several times but never said anything. No golf etiquette at all. It’s unfortunate because I thought this course was ready for me to become a member. Unfortunately it is a complete let down for me and I will take my money elsewhere.

This course needs help

Tee boxes - sand, dirt, and spots of crab grass.

Fairways - overall in decent shape, but does have some burnt spots. Greens - most greens have burnt spots on them. I guess it’s better than aerated greens. Not by much though.

Staff and clubhouse - professional and nice. Best part about this course unfortunately.

I’ve been playing at PV for over 10 years and have not seen it in this bad of condition. Hope they can turn it around and make it a great course in the future. I’ve also played a lot of other courses in the area, and have yet to experience a course in such bad shape. My partner and I left after 9 holes. Didn’t even think to ask for a rain check. Don’t plan on playing PV for a long while.

Commented On 2018-10-18T14:17:41.000+00:00

Thank you for the note and we have made some big improvements in the past 6 weeks. The tee boxes are in much better shape after aerating them, seeding them, and fertilizing them twice. There are still some rough spots, but for the most part they are much better.

Challenging no matter what condition the course is in

I love Pleasant Valley. With all the rain we have had, Mother Nature has shown its affect on the course. I know over the next six months the crew will get it back in tip top shape for next year. For all the friendliness of the staff and the rounds I have played there today and in the past, I will keep coming back during these hard times. You should too.

Commented On 2018-10-18T14:16:14.000+00:00

Thank you for the note and we have made some big improvements in the past 5 weeks. The tee boxes are in much better shape. Two of our greens still have some damage, but the majority of the course is in great shape!

summer damage

played pv many time over many years, this is the worst condition i have seen the course in in some time, horrible tee boxes, greens in bad shape, the hot wet summer has done some damage, ill wait at least to october to try it again.

Commented On 2018-08-30T12:55:21.000+00:00

Pete - Thank you for playing PV and we appreciate your feedback! We have certainly suffered a tough summer and we are re-seeding our tees. They should come back, but it will take time. Hopefully you'll give us another chance and see some improvements later this fall.

Disappointing conditions

The course is average in its golf quality. It is not terribly interesting. But, what was very disappointing were the conditions. All of the tee boxes were devoid of turf with only sandy soil and crab grass. The greens were quite spotty and the fairways often patched with bare spots. I will not return. There are better quality courses nearer to my home.

don't bother

The 1st thing i noticed was the horrific condition of the tee box No grass only a few weeds and that is every tee box, they are all dirt. what a turn off. greens are all marked up and have a lot of brown patches as well as the fairways. I left after only 9 holes.

The conditions should be mentioned before you book.

Good layout, fair conditions

Play here 1-2 times per year. Layout is good and can challenging from the blues. Main reason do not play more are the conditions, especially tee boxes and a couple of the greens (no. 12). Fairways better, but looked like today was the first day they could mow after all the rain, so alot of cut grass everywhere. If you can get out first, it's a 3 hour round - awesome!

Commented On 2018-08-19T23:16:35.000+00:00

Thank you for playing Pleasant Valley and your comments! We are certainly happy to hear about a quick round! We have had major difficulties with the tee boxes this year and we are hoping a fall plan of seeding and fertilizing will bring them back in to better shape.

South Riding, Virginia