Style Traditional
Rio Pinar Country Club

Year Built 1957
Greens Champion Ultra Dwarf Bermuda Grass
Architect Mark Mahannah (1957) Lloyd Clifton (1995)

Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Not a 4 star course, but a solid 3......

Starting with the driving range, i found it to be a torn up mess. No grass to be found. I liked the lay out of the course and i like the different tee box distances. This allows the course to be a challenge for all skill levels. I found that several of the tee boxes were in poor shape. The greens were in good shape and pretty fast. While it is a good course and definitely worth playing, i just don’t feel it is a 4 star course. It seems that the ratings in mid to south Florida are overrated. I know these are opinions given by people, certainly this is mine. Maybe they have not traveled to some of the really nice courses around the country.

Shadow of its Former Self

I grew up around the corner from RPCC, and have played this course probably hundreds of times in my life, but sparingly in the last few years. Obviously, this course has a lot of really cool history dating back to the old Citrus Open with the likes of Palmer, Trevino, and Irwin competing here annually.

Over the past few years the course has been in good condition, and paired with a good layout, has always been enjoyable and a fair test - but the current conditions of the course are an insult to its rich history.

Tee boxes: Many are torn up with large patches of dirt
Fairways: Fair condition, but very wet and soft - course drains very poorly
Greens: Rolled slow but true, understandable with the amount of rain this summer

My main point of contention with the course was the overgrown areas sometimes just feet off of the fairway. I understand, putting the ball in the fairway off the tee alleviates any of these problems, but for most golfers that's not going to happen on every hole. My buddy and I lost numerous balls that we clearly saw land slightly off the fairway but in bounds. The amount of weeds and brush made it impossible to spot a golf ball, let alone get a club on it. It made for a very frustrating day.

I believe the course is currently managed by Central Florida Golf, who came in and cleaned house of a lot longtime employees who were more pleasant to deal with and obviously knew a heck of a lot more about golf course maintenance. I'm sure money is the issue here - but with the amount of traffic this course sees, it's hard to believe they couldn't allocate the funds to ensure they at least maintained the quality they inherited. Instead, the course is a shadow of its former self, which irks me deeply as this was my home course for many years.

I have to say that I will avoid this course at all costs unless I hear that conditions have improved drastically. I hope that someday that will be the case, because in its current state, it will turn into a feedback loop of poor conditions discouraging golfers from playing RP, causing RP to lower rates, both leading to less revenue to use for maintenance and even worse conditions in the future, and eventually getting sold for real estate. Would break my heart, but on the current trajectory, seems reasonable.

Bit wet

Only front 9 open because of wet conditions but still enjoyed the golf. Always liked playing Rio Pinar. Tight course with great greens.

Golf Channel

Like the layout, hate the price (place was under water)

I live in Florida, have my whole life. I know it rains, a ton, and I know course drainage can be an issue. But here, for the second time in about 3 weeks it's as bad as I've ever seen at any golf course. I like the layout, it's fine. It's suitable for my needs at certain times. But to go out at 7:30AM on a Sunday morning, pay $42 on a course where I nearly got my golf cart stuck in the middle of the fairway (three times)....it just seemed unnecessary. Yes, the middle of the fairway.

The greens were good, although still soaking for the first couple hours, and I want to give it another try but this time left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

a classic

The best thing this course could do is install full cart paths on the back 9. Poor drainage leads to folks burring up a classic track. Partial paths that exist are not nearly enough.

One of the best courses i have played in Florida so far incredible grounds & personnel.

Terrible Pace of Play

Pace of play made us leave after 9. Course was in good shape though.

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Have been playing at Rio Pinar for years now and have never seen it get to this point. Course has a great layout and used to be one of the top courses in Orlando area. The description is a complete lie. They haven’t put any money into this course and it says 3 MILLION!?!? Staff doesn’t care about anything and have no respect for anybody. All they want is you to come in and pay before you get out and see how bad the course is. They have a low amount of carts and everything is in bad condition. Range balls are beyond horrible and haven’t been replaced in a long time. Maintenance crew consists of a couple guys who don’t have a clue what there doing and are rarely on the course doing work. Absolute shame what this course has come to, but DONT LET THESE GUYS FOOL YOU. Also, restaurant is awful has been shut down several times because of rats and other unsanitary conditions

u565128998
Commented On 08/27/2019

Your a complete idiot and have no idea what these golf maintenance guys deal with on a day to day . The course in great condition since the local area has had almost 20 inches of rain in the last 2 months . Feel free to go out of pocket and pay 80 bucks a round we have plenty of those courses around.

This course is a dump!

This course is nothing like the description. Rough is so long with weeds you can’t even find your ball. I have never seen a maintenance crew out working on the course. Greens are filled with crabgrass and pin locations are never changed. Pro shop smells like mold and rats in the locker room. This course would rather spend money buying pictures to hang on the restaurant walls then take better care of the course. I do not recommend spending your $30 on this dump course!

in good shape

greens were nice, course in pretty good shape for this time of year.

Challenging Course, OK Condition

Was started on the back today. Course was in OK condition. Only got through 10 holes and forced off by the storm. Fairways not groomed since grass and weeds relegate it to just cutting. Greens were in pretty good shape but duck week and some very thin spots need to be remedied. sand traps are more dried mud-sand making for a packed soil to hit out of. If you are not a fairly straight shooter then bring plenty of balls. Lots of trees, underbrush, and water abound. I can certainly see why this was a championship course back in the 60s and 70s. Nice layout and very challenging with forced carries from several tees and second shots. Squirrels are fed by golfers as evidence by them approaching within a foot and sniffing for a snack and posing for a photo op. I golfed here about 4 years ago and recalled the course conditions about the same. After playing Ventura yesterday, I will leave this course lower on my list of places to play from a conditions perspective. Venture is in great shape comparatively speaking. But Rio Pinar has the old Florida ambiance going for it. Have not tried the food at their Champions Gill yet but prices look reasonable for the menu items listed. I noted a pile of golf balls on the tee box to 17 with two small flags stuck in the dirt. No idea why this is here but perhaps someone out there can let us know what that's about. A memorial to our armed forces perhaps? Leave a ball?

Fun Day, Fun Course

Too many dogleg rights for my taste! I hit a draw.

Seriously, we had a great time. Pace of play was fine until we caught up to two gentlemen who were clearly in no hurry to be anywhere.

I haven't played here in years but will be back. I search for courses like this, with a bit of history. We enjoyed our day, even the fox squirrels that wouldn't leave us alone.

Terrible value!

Course is in awful condition, no pace of play management and staff could car less. Far better golf in Orlando for better value!

Stay away

No starter on a Sunday. Pace was 40 minutes behind. Paid for 18...left at 9. Course was in terrible condition. I’ve never seen so much crab grass near a green

A little more challenging than what I am used to considering I am a beginner but it was an awesome layout and the conditions were nice. Staff was friendly and welcoming and I had a good experience. Will come back soon!

Aged Course, Historic

Course is beautiful. Aged but kept. Wildlife is abundant including friendly fox Squirrels. Course was a PGA event course. Challenging from tips. Greens roll good. Needs a few weeds pulled from fairway and can be wet after heavy rains. Love to play here and do often.

plays long

not for short hitters. summertime rough is getting healthy/penal!

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.