The Royal Virginian Golf Course

Scorecard for Royal Virginian Golf Course
Black M: 74.1/140 536 478 175 452 430 441 384 540 191 3627 462 521 556 333 186 382 195 398 446 3479 7106
Blue M: 72.7/138 526 456 152 436 418 433 372 528 164 3485 431 504 542 322 167 370 179 374 432 3321 6806
White M: 71.5/135 503 406 142 427 410 416 368 520 149 3341 395 489 533 316 155 362 169 360 423 3202 6543
Gold M: 68.7/126 496 348 123 332 301 396 354 512 140 3002 383 472 516 294 142 354 159 334 324 2978 5980
Red W: 71.0/122 426 343 118 327 297 357 347 449 133 2797 351 299 431 290 140 280 149 329 320 2589 5386

Year Built 1993
Architect Algie Pulley

Clubs No

Plays Long 11

Great Opportunity

This course would be a premium if it was closer to Richmond. The course is challenging, fair, and in great condition.

Next to Viniterra, my favorite course in the Richmond area, this is next. It is an incredible value for the quality of course. Rarely are there more than 10 groups, so we often don't have anyone in front or behind us when we play. Spring and fall are the times for a walk, but it is about 5 miles, so be prepared. Summer is time to hop in a cart for this one.

For a course that has very little play, it is a treat...take advantage of it when you can.

All about the pace

Yes out of the way , 20 minutes down i64 west past 288 / 64 interchange, but worth it for the pace. Long course with tree lined fairways , but as titled all about the pace. Looking for a nice course without all the waiting and singles or doubles trying to play through , this is it. We teed off at 945 am Wednesday morning and think were last group to go off. Maybe three groups ahead of us but never saw a single golfer within 5 holes of us. Yes a lot of 400 yard par 4 s , some tricky par threes with elevation changes, but tees and fairways very good condition. Ok why the three stars, Greens are worst I have seen here. Usually slow , but burned spots , weeds are abound. Only couple holes where they are ok. Saying that , we will be back. Inexpensive great country natural feel, like the layout and especially the pace. Great place if working on game and want to play couple different shots , take your time and just enjoy being on the course. You will have a very nice course layout to yourself for a great day.

Solid great Golf

I was truly impressed with the condition of the fairways and the majority of the teeing grounds. Although the greens where on the slow side the putted well and are in good condition. The bunkers look rough but have plenty of sand and play well.Pace of play on a Sunday afternoon for our twosome was under 3.5 hours and we could have played faster if we wanted but we did not see anybody until the 16th hole. The design itself is really good with lots of elevation changes with more than a few blind tee shots into a lot of doglegs. The course is tight but you will need your driver plenty , especially on holes 2-5 long par fours with three of them over 400 yards playing from the white tees (6500 yds total). The front nine plays long and difficult but the back nine gives you plenty of scoring opportunities. The course is walkable if you don't mind the elevation changes. It has a range in very good condition although the range balls need to be replaced. The clubhouse is small but charming with a terrace overlooking the 18th hole with a decent cafeteria good for sandwiches or hot dogs. The staff was attentive and friendly. At 38.00 weekend afternoon and 32.00 weekday afternoon (after 1:00 pm) this is a very Good value. There are a few homes on the property but they are barely visible- I did not see a single white stake anywhere. This is good , no added frills solid golf 20-30 minutes from Richmond. I highly recommend it.

Virginia Advisor

Peaceful and yes still open

If don't mind a little drive, just 20 minutes from Short Pump, then we'll worth it. The course is long , almost 6000 yards from forward tees , but open , playable and greens will hold long approach. Greens are slow , but course conditions good. The appeal is the pace. Beautiful Tuesday afternoon and think only three other players besides our threesome there. Nice layout , but very natural and peaceful. If not in a hurry or if you are can enjoy the fact course is yours to play at your pace and not the crowds. We played in under 4 hours at a leisurely pace. Which was few more yardage markers , but have the time to consider shot without ever being pushed . Love the country appeal and will be back.

Peaceful and all country

A very nice peaceful place to play. We don't get to play Sunday's and was looking for somewhere not overly crowded. We found it . It's only about 15-20 minutes west of Rt. 288 and I 64 crossing, an easy drive. Converted farm , with pro shop an old farmhouse. First sign I see is Return carts to the barn. The course is in good shape. Greens a little slow and a little patchy at times but most very good. Fairways and traps good for this time of year and with below freezing temps two nights in a row. It is a loong course. Front nine is par five a bunch of over 400 yard long par 4s. Doglegs left and right but most of the challenge is the length and the tree lined fairways . If you don't need the country club amenities and enjoy nature this is a great place to play. Quiet, peaceful and really enjoyed our round . We will be back soon .

Third time visit

This was my third time playing here. Overall the conditions were good. Some issues though; tee boxes need some attention as some were bare and very hard, most traps felt like concrete and difficult to make a good shot. Fairways were in good shape and the greens were very fast.

Great experience

I have played his course many times through the years. Today's visit was just as nice as all previous ones. Normally if you stray off into the rough, it's an easy out, however today the rough was unusually thick and did present a challenge, as it should. The fairways and greens were in good condition. All in all, it was a great value for the money. I will return again.

Very nice course !

I have been to the "Royal Virginian" a dozen times or more. It is my favorite plAce to play. It's a 45 + min drive for me but I will gladly jump in the car & drive to play there! I have taken 3 different people there & they all agree with me that

Quality course in central Virginia

The Royal Virginian was a pleasant surprise, just off I-64 in Louisa County, in a rural part of central Virginia between Richmond and Charlottesville. The clubhouse is quaint if not sparse, but the staff exuded southern hospitality. The course offers five sets of tees and plays fairly long from the back three sets. Between the tee options and the mix of holes, this course can accommodate different levels of golfers. I would not call the course tight, the fairways and rough are generous, but if you spray anything off the tee, there is a good chance it will find the woods. The greens were in good condition, good-sized and rolled true. I would recommend the Royal Virginian if you happen to be in that area or passing through. The course is walkable, but there are some hikes between some holes.

HIDDEN GEM

Great course for the money and well worth the drive. The rolling greens at Royal Virginia were in perfect condition but don't expect an easy pin location. Course varied in difficulty from hole to hole and allowed for the use of various clubs in order to place the perfect 2nd shot. I will be back for sure!!

A big golf course

Even though this is a long and difficult golf course to shoot a low score on, my wife and I enjoyed the challenge. We saw plenty of wildlife, i.e. turkey and deer, and really enjoyed our day and golfing there.

a good round

We have played Royal Virginian many times, and enjoy the uninterrupted quite this course can provide. It does have ruff that can punish a bad shot, but it kept me from losing some balls. Its a long course that can be played shorter by tee selection.

Beautiful course in the country

Course was in fairly good condition. However, mostly crabgrass in fairways. Greens still have not healed from aeration, and were somewhat slow and bumpy. Bunkers were lacking sand. Course layout is good.

It was great th visit "the old course"

This was the course that I played as I was learning the game. It was a lot of fun to re-visit it and to see that my game has improved! I am pleased to report that the greens have improved quite a bit.

Needs work

The course layout is nice, the greens were in decent shape but the bunkers were dirt & rocks. Fairways were in poor shape as well as the tee boxes. You almost needed a hammer to get the tee's in the ground. I think the new owners are trying and hopefully the course will come around.

Best Value in Richmond Golf

Played last week for the 2nd time in 30 days.. Greens are pretty fantastic right now. It was 89F and several staffers were watering the greens to keep them healthy.. VERY NICE TO SEE! For their efforts, the aeration holes are barely noticeable, the balls hold well and back up with wedges, and putts are true with no bobbling or bouncing.. Fantastic! Certain Tee boxes remain a liability with Hole #3 ( a tough 179y Par 3) needing immediate attention.. and worse still, several tee box markers remain from the grand opening 20 years ago! Faded, damaged and needing replacement! Please! Do Golf Course Owners/Managers even read these reviews? On the PLUS side, RVGC has some of the best hole layouts in Central VA... e.g.: #1, #4 thru #8 and #11 & #12 are some of Virginia's most rewarding holes for long hitters. Tips play 7,200 yds if you're game. Great Nathan's Jumbo Hotdogs, well-priced cold beers and an always happy-to-see-you staff make RVGC well worth the drive...

The Royal Virginia Golf Course

Since the new owners have taken it over, TRVGC is really improving by leaps and bounds. The greens are well kept and the fairways are improving. A tight challenging course that we were able to get through in 4 hours. Keep up the great work!

royal virginian

I enjoyed the good weather and condition of the course, my game however could use a lesson . i did notice some of the bunkers could us some sand . i think i will make this course the one i play most because it is a challenge and its not that far from home.

Best value

Played the morning after 2 plus inches of rain but the course was still in good shape. Everything was mowed and they had the bunkers pumped out by the time we were part way through the round. It was cart path only and on this course that can mean a lot of walking. I believe this is the best value you can find in the area. Play from the right tee boxes or it may be a long day.

Great greens

Good pace of play. Greens in very good shape. Holds the ball well. Good layout. Definite play again

Palmyra, Virginia