Westlake Golf & Country Club

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Staging a Comeback

Westlake has been improving steadily the past several years to become the best public golf course at SML.

Rough is Rough

I have played this course several times and I am always frustrated due to the long rough. The rough is cut for PGA players, not your average golfer. For a women, it's a lot worse as it takes strength to hit out of it.

For some reason, lower wages I presume, they have teenagers working the pro shop. They are indifferent and incompetent.

This course has worked hard to get it in the shape that it is with all new fairways, I just wish they would cut the rough so the average golfer would not get so frustrated.

Must read!!!

First I would like to say that this is not the first time that I have played this "golf course." It has been several years since I first first endured this course and after playing it today I remembered why I haven't come back. I would also like to state that I will never again play this dog track. The course is not one for the faint of heart or out of shape, for the walk from green to tee is treacherous. There is not a single flat green, thus the pin placements are simply impossible. Along with the horrendus and unnecessary undulation, the greens are similar to putting on a plinko board from the Price is Right. No putt will hold its line. Off the tee there is no punishment for hitting it in the rough, because the fairways are tragically colorful with spots of dead grass. Along with the dead and live grass, there are lumps of thick and thin grass that prohibits and even and flat lie. Many times I would walk into the fairway to my ball and question why I had wasted my money to play this hellish course. Sadly, these features are not the worst of it all. The overall course layout looked as if it were designed by a two year old coloring in a coloring book. Nearly ever hole has a green that is not visible from one hundred yards out in the fairway. Many holes you have to cut it around a corner to even have a chance to keep in the fairway. If I had the power, I would tear up the entire course and turn it into a dirt bike track. There is a sufficient amount of dirt already there and perhaps it would smooth out the course and potentially help to establish a course much further in the future. There are many more things to be said about this horrible golf course, but I think what I have said has established my view of the "course." Luckily I only had the "pleasure" of playing the front side and for any golfer looking to play this course I will say that the back is another beast that I would not recommend conquering. For the other facilities I would say that they resemble the "course." The range is a dump and the practice green does not have a flat putt. If you ever have to play this track God help your soul. My recommendation would be to either save your money... I good dinner is much nicer, or throw in a little more cash to play an actual golf course like Waterfront or Waters edge.

Great course for the cash, friendly staff

I had a great time yesterday, perfect weather and the course was in great shape. I had the opportunity to be paired up and play with a couple of other guys and we all enjoyed this course. Pro-shop staff was kind, courteous and I ended up leaving with a great deal on a new Driver. Thanks guys, Looking forward to the next chance to play at your place!

Moneta, Virginia