Aerial view of the 5th hole at The Gauntlet Golf Club

The Gauntlet is situated along the banks of the lake that is the centerpiece of Curtis Memorial Park. When it first opened in 1995, Golf Digest recognized it as one of the "top ten new courses to play in the U.S." This challenging layout will definitely test your shot making abilities. The golf course begins with a tough front nine that has several sharp doglegs over water and tall grasses. There are also a slew of blind shots. The back nine is a bit gentler since there's less water and it is more open and forgiving, but the large, multi-tiered greens can be tricky. The fourth hole is the golf course's signature. Your tee shot will have to carry a marsh to a narrow landing area on this par 5. After that, you'll be faced with a triple-tiered green with the lake to the left and bunkers to the right.

Gauntlet Golf Club

Year Built 1995
Architect P. B. Dye (1995)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Fredericksburg Golf & Sports Academy"

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Cart paths need a lot of work, but the course is challenging. It rewards good shots and penalizes poor ones, which is what a good course should do. Watering of the greens is needed given the sustained hit, dry conditions but, overall, the course is an enjoyable test.

Challenging course, managed really well!

Given the summer heat, the course is in great shape, especially the greens. Staff is fantastic. Thanks!

Poor conditioning overshadows a layout with potential

The Gauntlet is a short course with many holes playing as true target golf. This isn't a bad thing, but it would be nice if more risk/reward options could have been integrated into the design. The green contours are very fun, but they aren't fast enough to truly take advantage of them. It was surprising that a course with such interesting greens did not have good greenside bunkers.
The major problem with the Gauntlet is that the conditioning is just bad. All of the fairway bunkers should have been marked as ground under repair. They claim the fairways are zoysia, but it looks like they were never maintained, and now St. Augustine grass has covered most of the surfaces. The course needs a massive tree pruning and thinning program to allow for more light and circulation, and thus better conditioning.
The other problem with the course is pace of play. Target golf courses just can't space out groups, so a 4.5 hour round is going to be the average, and I can imagine it getting a lot worse.
A dedicated management company that knew what they were doing could do really well with this course. I probably wouldn't play it again, but given the lack of good golf courses in the area, it may one of the better options in a bad situation.

Disappointed in GolfNow

I'm not done using GolfNow. First, let me say, the most recent issue I had with GolfNOw was totally my fault. I scheduled a hot deal round for the wrong day. I understand fully the cancellation policy for hot deals. I was trying to get them to give me a credit for a future round and I could not get anyone to discuss the issue with me. I never checked in at the golf course and the course claimed they did not receive the money I paid for the round, So someone will profit from my mistake. I also had an issue about a month ago where I had a reservations and conformation number, but the course did not received the info from GolfNow. Again I lost money. This time of year I play golf at least twice a week. I will NEVER use GolfNow again and I hope get their act together.

Awesome course

Great and challenging golf course to play. The entire course is in good condition. The staff is very friendly and helpful.. I play this course a lot and it gets better every time.. I lose some golf balls but have fun...

Great Recovery from Prior Conditions

The Gauntlet used to be one of my favorite layouts until conditions got so bad i hadn't played since fall of 2015. Gave it another try today based on recent reviews and the course was in great shape other than tee boxes. They appear to be working on some tee boxes but fairways and greens are in great shape. As always I love the course layout. I managed to stay out of bunkers today but they seemed a little rough due to recent rain.

Challenging shots

Course is lush, greens are fast. Tee boxes have not filled in yet. Probably weather related.

The bunkers are hard packed. In need of additional sand.?

Gauntlet--not synched with Golfnow

I checked in for my reservation, made on Golfnow, and they did not have my reservation. Their advice was to NOT go through Golfnow and use the Gaunlet website instead. This seems to be a flaw that needs to be worked out between Golfnow and this course.

This was challenging.

Challenging course. Blind shots, fast greens. The Gauntlet is a perfect name for this course. I’ll definitely play again.

A "thinkers" course

This course is unlike many others I have played. (Play about once a week at different courses around VA). A lot of short par 4s, dog legs, and blind shots. Course is in very good shape compared to those around the area and from what I have read is improving under new management. Greens are fast and tough with lots of ridges and elevated greens. Fairways are beautiful, rough could be a little more filled in but isn't bad either. A lot of fun different holes and every shot makes you think about that shot and the next one. Practice facilities are nice. Putting green isn't great, but driving range is very nice, good pricing for balls, and a solid chipping area with practice bunker. Overall a very nice course, staff were friendly, and a good place to play for the money. Only main improvement I could see is groups did stack on each other at times and could've been spread out more or start some groups on back 9. Overall a very nice place to play.

Go Gauntlet

A private cart was made available for players not living with or travelling with golf partners. The course is in great condition for the time of year and inspite of a crowd we finished under 4 hours. I'll play here again ..

Gauntlet golf course was organized & practiced social distancing

I commend Gauntlet Golf Course for practicing social distancing. From the check-in to getting golf carts. The course is in great shape and well manicured. The staff at the front office/snack area were very friendly and efficient.

Great layout

Greens were in much better shape than they were 3 weeks ago. They still have a ways to go to get back to normal.

Always Fun

Gauntlet is always fun to play. Lots of blind shots though. Course was in nice shape. Needs some more work but it’s getting there.

Driving range and practice facilities so that’s always a plus.

Virginia Advisor

Much Improved Since My Last Visit

I last played The Gauntlet in October of 2017 and I'm glad to report this most recent experience was much improved. The staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming, the conditions were excellent (for mid-February) and they even gave me a discounted walking rate that made it easily worth the hour+ drive from Richmond.

They've added an additional tee box (green) to the course to help pace of play and play-ability as well.
There are also fewer trees on the course then last I played here and that made the golfing all the more enjoyable. They recently began doing some course maintenance that's designed to help the grass grow in sooner and stronger in the spring, so I'm excited to come back and play again soon!

It was all I could ask for

Greetings. This was a first time play for me at Gauntlet. Even though Feb 17, the experience was awesome. Course was in good condition for this time of year. A very challenging P B Dye course with some long and some shorter holes but with several twists and turns. This is not your flatland, easy type of course. The Bermuda fairways may have been dormant but were in good shape as were the greens. The staff was very helpful and fun to talk to. Even having a cold beer afterwards while sitting on the deck was a great way to wind down. I will definitely be back.

Great day of golf

Love the challenge of the gauntlet. Wonderful staff. Great beer selection on the 19th hole

Stafford, Virginia