Type Private
Lake of the Woods Golf Course

Year Built 1966
Architect American Woodmaker Tom Clark (1988)

Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2017 #11)

A Beautiful Day at LOW

The other guys who had signed up for the 11:14 tee time didn't show so I ended up playing alone. I have played LOW quite a few times and find it challenging and well manicured. Today was no exception. I played in just over three hours and had an enjoyable round!

Great amenities and quality up-keep.

Club and ball cleaners built into the carts.. I mean wow. I'm new to the game, but the little details transpire greatness in all things. I will play this course again soon.

Nice neighborhood course

The course was truly in decent shape for mid August! The most forward tees make the course very playable for beginners or youngsters. Houses line most fairways so if you spray the ball you might be in trouble. We played the front quickly but at the turn we were behind TWO sets of 5 players who had no desire to let my friend and me play through.. We chose to replay the front rather than waste 3 hours being annoyed. We did really enjoy ourselves and hope to play all 18 holes next time.

Virginia Advisor

It Is A Golf Course…..Yes

Playing Lake of the Woods Golf Course is an uninspiring act of mundanity (is that a word? Well it is now). The course layout has few memorable holes or features, the conditions are better than some, worse than others, and pace of play is neither speedy nor sloth-like. The staff is friendly enough, the on-site amenities are just ok, and the cost to play reflects all of the above.

The design of the course is very parkland with somewhat narrow, tree-lined fairways, modest elevation changes, a few water hazards, and bunkers sprinkled here and there to give a pale illusion of difficulty. As the layout is predictably intertwined with the houses of LOWA (this is a gated community after all) there are several holes with white stakes that you must avoid and lengthy walks between some of the holes (though this course is quite walkable despite this). A week removed, I’m struggling to remember any more holes than the ones I took photos of.

The speed of the greens is inoffensive. Bunkers have enough sand in them to justify their existence. The rough is decently thick and the fairways are cut short enough so as to incentivize you to hit them. The overall conditions are utterly acceptable and nothing more.

The best thing about playing here is actually the food inside the clubhouse. Breakfast served all day is music to my ears and the staff actually undersell the french toast by equating its quality to that of IHOP.

There is no room for a driving range but the putting green and separate pitch/chipping green with practice bunker is an agreeable consolation.

I paid $30 to walk 18 holes, about right for this course, but the 90-minute drive up here would not be worth it on its own. Thankfully there’s Meadow Farms GC just across the street and other courses in the area that I like well enough to venture up this way again, but I’m not sure I’ll include this on my future itinerary.

Commented on 08/06/2019

Hello, Back9Ben. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

A little disappointed

Disappointed there was no driving range, so no warm up before play. Few on-course markers for distances. All yellow flags so not even basic front-to-back indication by flag color for pin location. Had to play as a single, as they oversold my tee time into a fivesome, but would not allow a fivesome on the course.
Some fairways are tight, and no indication of distances to doglegs, or traps.
Greens and fairways in good shape. No brown grass anywhere. The course is a solid four, but don't go without GPS!

Commented on 07/09/2019

Hello MikeTracy5. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback in regards to GPS to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Disappointed

Although this was a pretty course, there was one hole closed for repair, something that management should have noted on their website or told us when we checked in. Also, no one advised us of the daily pin placement number. It took us several holes to figure it out. Some of the pin placements were way too close to the edges of the greens. The tee placements were very inconsistent with the yardage on the card, particularly the location of many of the gold/senior tees which were mostly only a few to several yards in front of the white/men's tees.

Commented on 06/17/2019

Hi naylorwm. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Lake of the Woods Country Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Awesome Check-in with Kim

Upon arrival we were greeted at a gated community checkpoint.
The girl at the gate seemed to be put off by our arrival. Immediately we were not impressed! She asked our name and checked a list. She waved us through and I had to ask her which way were we going? She just flicked her head to the right like to just go on.
Once we got to the clubhouse, I went inside to expect more of the same snooty-ness. To my great surprise I was greeted with some true southern hospitality from Kim at the desk. She was soo cheerful and truly excited to have myself and my daughter at their golf course.
I went on to tell her that we were on a golf vacation from Ct. and this was the first round of our trip. She said that we should stop in when we were loaded up and she would get us off a little earlier as rain was expected later that afternoon.
How nice is that? Kim was gracious and actually concerned that we have a great day on the course.
We stopped in and there were a couple very friendly gentlemen conversing in the pro shop. One was a greens keeper and the other was the pro. They offered us some tips before we tee'd off.
The greens were treated but rolled true, the fairways were being cut and the cart paths were paved. However the 14th hole was closed as they were redoing the entire hole.
I like that the course winds through the community and the residents were very friendly. It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by the gatekeeper...Lol

Diamond in the ruff!

This is a great course, always great round when I play. Locals to course very friendly and staff as well!

Needs time

We just came out of winter and I can tell this course is going to be beautiful once everything grows in and the greens heal up from being punched and sanded

Commented on 04/15/2019

Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Lake Of The Woods Golf Course. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with your feedback and leaving us with a raving review. We hope to see you again in the future.

Nice layout in need of repair

Overall the course layout is nice. However, the course has sustained a lot of water damage due to rain. One hole (14) was closed for repair. Fairways were still brown but lots of bare ground. All green were airiated thus putting was an adventure. Course should let Golfnow know this on their profile. To me, not worth more than $20 a round at this time.

Commented on 04/12/2019

Hi meatbag74. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Lake of The Woods Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

This course has nice greens

Too much rain recently for the course to be playable. Most Fairways were extremely soggy, and getting to the fairways from the cart path (through the extremely soggy rough) was a challenge. Once you got on the greens it was normal and the greens were in very good shape. A lot of leaves still on the fairways.

Nice clubhouse with food served in a casual and friendly atmosphere. Appreciated restrooms being open on the course during winter play!

Commented on 01/08/2019

Hello Chinjen, thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at Lake of the Woods Golf Course. We are sorry to see that the fairways may not have been in the best shape when you played due to the poor weather conditions. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will use it to make the necessary improvements to the course and the fairway quality. Our golfers' overall experience is extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you how we've improved. Thank you for your choosing our course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Perfect course

Great Layout, very good conditions, true Greens, teeboxes good

The course was beautiful. We really enjoyed it.

Can't wait to play it again. Really well maintained.

Lake of the Woods is a must play

This course has a great layout, good greens and plenty of slope to make it challenging. Booking thru GolfNow with a hot deal is an awesome deal. I really like the course and will continue to visit this facility.

Better hit it straight

This was the first time playing the course. The layout is challenging with tree lined fairways and a few blind tee shots. It has rained the past few days so it was cart path only. Overall the course was is pretty good shape. The greens were in ok shape, very playable but not perfect. I found the greens to be fast and the was plenty of break. There was not a flat green on the course. For the money, hot deal $17 plus fee, it was well worth it. I look forward to going back and playing it again with a little course knowledge.

Locust Grove, Virginia
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Stafford, Virginia
3.4119588235
Culpeper, Virginia

Valid dates: Nov 22, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Unlimited golf for two and stay at Ritz Carlton on Dove Mountain with daily American breakfast for two at CORE Kitchen & Wine Bar.
From $1900