Pohick Bay Regional Park Golf Course in Lorton has been one of the area's most popular public courses since it opened in the early 1980s. Playing at Pohick Bay is like playing two golf courses in one, with a front nine that has long, tree-lined fairways and a hillier back nine that features a variety of doglegs and water holes. It is a definitely a shot-maker's course so be prepared to use some creativity and some thoughtful strategizing doesn’t hurt either. The constant up and down of the golf course provides uneven lies and a number of blind shots. The dramatic terrain also makes it a tough course to walk. Trees frame most of the holes, demanding accuracy but also providing a peaceful and secluded feel. Pohick Bay Regional Park Golf Course is popular amongst locals for being one of the most challenging and yet also one of the most affordable courses in the area.

Pohick Bay Regional Parks Golf Course

Year Built 1982
Architect George Cobb (1978) John LaFoy

Snacks, Beverage Carts

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities

Great course and challenging

The course is in really good shape. The greens rolled at a good pace. The fairway and rough is in good shape. My only complaint, which is not a bad reflection on the course itself, would be the un-repaired ball marks on the greens.

Great course, reasonably priced, my second time here and will be back

Lots of hills, challenging shots, no houses along the course, and generally in great shape, this is a great muni (all of the fairfax county ones are, these days). The hilliness keeps it drier than other courses, so a good bet after rain where others might be tough. This one is in my rotation.

Testing course

I really enjoyed my round today but this course is not for the faint of heart. It is a much tougher course than many around the DMV. A lot of elevation and blind shots. It was a great challenge and I will play again but it certainly was not the lowest round I’ve played this summer!

Commented on 07/31/2020

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back soon.

Course is good,

Played on a sunday afternoon, course was in decent condition. Fairways were good, roughs were cut. Greens could be in better condition, but I understand it's hard when people don't fix their marks. Carts were clean and available to ride solo.
Seemed like the usual staff weren't there, as previously I had interacted with older staff members. Everyone in the clubhouse seemed on the younger side. The starter was a young lady who wasn't very friendly. Fine, not an issue. The problem was the pace of play. Course was backed up, so we teed off ten minutes after our tee time. We quickly realized why the course was backed up, the starter sent out four twosomes in a row ahead of us. Pace of play on the score card was a little over two hours, but that's impossible if you send out multiple twosomes on a busy day. Waited five to ten minutes at every tee box and gave up after 14 holes. Hoping for a better experience next time.

Commented on 07/24/2020

mid noon round in high heat and humidity

Course was great but not enjoyable in the high heat and humidity. Ran out of sandwiches..

Great layout, real challenge

I think this course just vaulted to my favorite in the area. The layout is incredible - pretty much every hole has an up or downhill or both. It's all about hitting the ball straight, which i much prefer over courses where you can just mash it 50 yards offline and be fine. Greens were pretty true though slow. Only downside is I chose to walk, and I highly regretted that. Sweating through my shirt, completely gassed, and often hitting blind shots that a cart drive up could have saved me from. Wasn't worth the small amount of money I saved to walk versus ride.

Commented on 07/17/2020

We appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for your review! Come back and visit us again soon.

Great day

Staff was friendly and got me out a little early with a gent named Low from Naples Fl. Great company and had a great round of golf

Anonymous
Commented on 07/17/2020

Thank you for your feedback. We take your opinion seriously, and are working everyday to improve customer experience.

Awesome day

Got my first eagle here!! This was an awesome day and everything was fantastic. I felt safe and everyone was wearing masks. Had a great day!

Tee Times and Carts

Not enough carts which caused a delay from designated tee times. During the delay the starter let three walkers and one rider go out nearly 40 mins prior to their designated tee time which caused a ripple in wait times on every tee box.

Very unprofessional on the starters part to squeeze in regulars prior to their tee time. Respect the players that reserved tees!

Commented on 06/27/2020

Public gem just outside of DC

No houses on this course, in really great condition, has a challenging layout with impressive rolling hills, fun dogleg and par 3 holes. A gem outside of DC, I'll be back soon.

Commented on 06/24/2020

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Beautiful but Tight Course

Really fun course that's always in good shape. One of my favorites in the area considering the scenery and layout, but this is a very tight course from beginning to end with lots of doglegs and blind tee shots. There are some notable elevation changes as well. Practice areas are a bonus here. Having visited a number of times to also practice, I've noticed they have been short on carts even on the weekdays because of the coronavirus precautions. Do note that there tend to be large, swarming horse flies on parts of the course; since this is near the water, bring bug spray. Overall, a very enjoyable but challenging course.

Pace of play..

This round was just a constant wait. The first hole is a blind tee shot. Doesn’t allow people to confirm the group in front of you is on the green. Also, first hole is cart path only. Just not the best set up to make sure pace of play doesn’t back up at hole 1. The golf carts were crappy. Course was pretty solid though.

Commented on 06/11/2020

Fun time

Super course. Very challenging in some areas. The roughs are just enough to make you pay attention.

Commented on 05/31/2020

Commented on 05/18/2020

Great winter golf day

I played this course on the rare 60+ degree day in February. The course was in great condition and even the bunkers were well maintained. The greens were true and held an approach shot with ease. I played on a very busy day and still managed a 4:15 round. I would recommend playing this course, but be prepared to not pull driver on every par 4 as it is full of doglegs. Go and enjoy!

Commented on 02/05/2020

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Fort Belvoir, Virginia