Lake/Cottage at Hollows Golf Club, The

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Hollows Golf Club boasts three unique nines that are played in different 18-hole combinations. Conveniently, the greens fees are applicable all day, which gives you the opportunity to try out all three. The nines: Cottage, Lake, and Road, are varied enough to appeal to a wide range of skill levels. The Lake/Cottage combination features the most water of the three golf courses. The Lake nine wraps around a massive lake, the centerpiece of the 27-hole course. There are also a few small ponds that come into play on the front nine. The Cottage nine only has water on the third hole but this tough par 3 leaves a lasting impression. It is the Cottage's signature hole that not only features water but also an 8-foot deep bunker on the left.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for locals seniors playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining

"Not even worth the discounted rate"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

Couldn't find anything good about the course. Paid for 18 and left after 9.

Course Layout: Poor

"Cost"

u818691938's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Great value. Be careful as the coast charges atbthe course was more than what the email stated.

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 04/10/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Hollows Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and that your round was a great value for you, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Montpelier, Virginia area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2018

Not too impressed with the Cottage course. Lots of Poi annum growing and the bermuda is not yet ready to green up. So lies are not good and the look of the course is pretty bad now.

Lake course had no to little poi and it was lovely. Much better track. I will go back to play the Road course and the Lake.

"Great fun, even in windy conditions!"

lccrossgaze's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2018

The Hollows greens were receptive yet rolled at a great brisk pace. The green designs are also varied, providing a new challenge at each hole. The course conditions were excellent for winter, and the staff was friendly and welcoming.

Jerry5373335's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2018

Response from Lake/Cottage at Hollows Golf Club on 02/23/2018:

Thanks for visiting us here at Hollows Golf Club and submitting a review. We appreciate your feedback. We're glad to see that you enjoyed the course as well as the off-course extras. Thanks again for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon.

"Disappointed"

vanhosel01's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018
Used cart Wet weather

There was way to much rainwater on the course. I'm a 69 year old senior, and I have to travel close to 30 miles to play at The "Hollows". The greens were pretty good but the rough and part of many of the fairways, were practically unplayable. I was advised before the round, that 3 of the 18 holes that I would be playing(Cottage and Road), would be cart-path only, do to the wet and muddy conditions. My shoes and parts of my clothing, were muddy, by the time we were done.I think it was very unfair to be charged full price, under conditions that perhaps should have precluded playing golf at all. I realise that you have many returning players there, but, my group is not keen on returning to play on an unfit course. especially where I am not even offered any accommodation for the inconvenience.

Arr DeVita

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 03/01/2018:

Hello Arr. Thanks for visiting The Hollows Golf Club and writing a review. We are very disappointed to hear that you were unable to enjoy your round due to residual weather conditions. We want all of our guests to have a memorable time out on the course, and we are so disappointed that your visit did not meet our usual standards. Please give us the opportunity to change your mind about our course.

"Winter rules"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Played here because not a very difficult course, not real long and knew was going to be wet . Yep it is wet wet wet. Almost got stuck couple times on the cart path . While waiting for group ahead to clear 8 th tee , yes 70 degrees so crowded , group behind approaching 7 th green had played approach shot wide right and came over and asked did you hear where my ball splashed . Course not in bad shape considering the weather. Greens slow to be expected but consistent. Most , sorry to say not all, the golfers were keeping carts on path only. These conditions we all must expect to be playing cart path only and respect the property so that others aren’t dropping out of the ruts you’ve caused. Pace was good , played 18 holes got a beer st Knickers all in right at 4 hours .

Response from The Lake/Cottage at Hollows Golf Club on 02/20/2018:

Hey, thanks so much for writing this wonderful review. We truly appreciate your feedback, and we hope that you had an enjoyable round despite the residual weather conditions. Thanks so much for caring for our course as we do. We hope that you will visit us again soon. We appreciate your business.

"To Many courses"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018

Course lacked enough markers to maneuver around the three courses. Missed several holes. And had to back track.

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 01/30/2018:

Hello, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the course and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at The Hollows Golf Club, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Really good deal, could be a great deal!"

AKornacki's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I play this course when I can get off work early, it's easy to get tee times, close to home, the folks there are great as are the facilities. The course has been around a while, in fact it was the first GC I played in Richmond.

The one thing I would improve is just the condition of the course. It gets a lot of use & traffic which makes it tough to keep the course in tip-top shape; if they could improve that aspect this would be a real hidden gem!

"Good course, greens keeper mad at wife?"

crt928's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2017

The course was in good condition, leafs on course and in the rough need to be mowed better. Greens are in great condition. Cup placements were in highly difficult locations, which was frustrating. We were out to enjoy probably last round of golf for the year. The Greens have challenging undulations which is fun; it was not a tournament weekend but cups were setup as if was one.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2017

Just a golfer. Not often enough do I play,

walking on 3 legs now days, but won't quit.

Back problems and moving have slowed me down.

However, The Hollows has excellent greens (fast),

reasonable rates. At almost 62 yrs old, the white tees play just over 5500 yards, so it is great to retrain myself. Nice restaurant & service. If you're below

the hole, hit it!, above, tap it. 3 putts are common

above, but don't be shy when below the cup,

in fact, if not played before, leave it short.

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 11/28/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review us, The Hollows Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We're very glad to hear you enjoyed the conditions of the greens, value for your round, and off-course amenities. We appreciate your feedback and hope you are able to get out on the course again soon. Thank you for golfing with us in the Richmond area, and we look forward to seeing you!

"Public course in the country"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

If you want to go out and play and get your game/swing in shape here is a place to go for the price. Greens are small and rolled well. If you’re expecting plush conditions this is not the place. There are three nine hole layouts - cottage, road, and lake. The staff is friendly but the amenities are lacking. Played here b/c the ease of making a tee time with GolfNow. I don’t know why any golf course wouldn’t use this app.

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 11/20/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Hollows Golf Club, in the Richmond area. We are glad to hear that you enjoy our course for the practice and that greens were in good shape when you played. It also sounds like you had a friendly experience with our staff, so we are happy to hear that. Your feedback is appreciated, especially regarding the course conditions and the off-course amenities. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

"Fun round"

lccrossgaze's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

Greens were great, rolling faster than I expected. The fairways were good, too. I like the layout, which combines inviting fairways with enough approach challenges to keep you thinking. Thankfully, all three sets of 9 were available, because a seniors tournament was on Cottage/Lake. I was able to play Road/Cottage pretty quickly (under 2.5 hours) as a single.

"An Old Favorite"

w3aVanhOseL's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

I like the course layout, and the greens are always in great condition. I have to travel almost 30 miles to get there.

"This place is great!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

I don’t live near Richmond any more, but when I’m nearby, I always try to play the Hollows. This place is absolutely awesome and the people who run this place (Andy Bemis) do a really great job keeping things running well. Plus, I love the 27 hole layout. It offers a lot of variety and provides an option at the turn if the pace is a little off.

"Fall golf"

RG948383ADAAD6E1D62C's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

It was a beautiful fall day, so play was a tad slow but enjoyable. Over all course was in decent shape. Greens ran true.

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 10/19/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Hollows Golf Club in the Richmond area, and for the 3 stars. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the great weather with us, but we hope you'll see improvements with the pace of play during your next round. We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

daniel5623649's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017

w3aVanhOseL's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2017

"Worth the price"

05131966's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2017

Nice course. Some challenging holes on lake course. Tee boxes were very good. Greens had some crabgrass around edges but were okay. Play off blue tees for some challenge white a little too short. Staff was super friendly

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 09/14/2017:

Hello Bruce, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Hollows Golf Club, and for the 3-stars. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you had a friendly experience with our staff. Thank you for your feedback regarding the conditions of the greens and we hope you will see an improvement for your next round with us. We appreciate you recommending our golf course, in the Richmond area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Staff in the pro shop was very rude!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

Having played here before I was not anticipating any problems. However the guy in the pro shop collecting the fees was extremely rude and talked to us as though we had never played golf before and gave several stern warnings about particular rules of the course. He held us up for at least 15 minutes!

Don't want to go back!

Response from The Hollows Golf Club on 09/08/2017:

Hello Pamela, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Hollows Golf Club, in the Richmond area. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor customer experience at our course and your feedback is appreciated. We hope that you enjoyed your round and we are glad to see that the pace of play was smooth. Thank you for playing our golf course and we hope to earn your business again soon.