Hollows Golf Club is situated in historic Hanover County, birthplace of Patrick Henry. The club boasts 27 holes of championship golf that are considered the best value in the area since the greens fess are good for the whole day, allowing you to try every hole if you wanted to. The holes are divided into three nines: Cottage, Lake, and Road, that are played in three different 18-hole combinations. The unique layouts of all three offer enough variety to appeal to players of all skill levels. The Lake/Road combination naturally features plenty of water on the front nine. The Lake nine is routed around a large lake as well as a few small ponds. The back nine, Road, is the longest of the three nines, but only by about 100 yards. There is no water but there are some tricky doglegs and strategically placed bunkers.

The Hollows Golf Club

Year Built 1984
Architect Ed Ault (1984) Brian Ault (1984) Tom Clark (1984)

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Lounge, Meeting Facilities, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Playing Multiple Courses 21

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hello, we appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Greens were slow ,but overall the course is in good shape.Hard to beat the Hollows for the price.Love playing there and will return many times.Thank you to the staff during these tough times.

Honest Opinion

So, this is the first time I’ve played this course, I’m from Fredericksburg so it was about an hour drive for me. Right off the bat the driving range and the front pulling in look immaculate. I played 27 holes all the courses and my favorite by far was the lake! The staff was friendly and the air from all the other golfers was kind and friendly. Now the only negatives I could say the corse has was some of the greens were recently aerated other than that an amazing place to play golf!

Please People, leave review honestly! Great layout but very poor condition.

Read other’s review and it says Very Good, com’on people, leave the feedback honestly.
I drove 1 hour and 15 min believed it’s a nice condition, but below average fairway.
They aerated all greens but that’s not what I’m pointing out.
It is in a way I guess because the aerated holes are SO BIG!
Used wrong tools?
I’ve been playing lot of other courses but this one is below average, sorry.
I do recommend this course ONLY WHEN CONDITIONS IMPROVED.

And please please, leave a accurate and honest review so others can make right decisions.
Or, it could’ve been hardcore members left those reviews....

Commented on 05/01/2020

Hi, Alex. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see you again soon.

Good value

While it was very windy at times we enjoyed playing the course. The pace of play was as expected - we finished in less than four hours. For a large public course with 27 holes this is a good value and fun to play.

Perfect Greens

There are 3 different 9 hole courses. The Cottage course has amazing greens. The Road course had just had their greens aerated so that was not a great experience. The course is fun to play and the scenery is beautiful.

If you want cheap golf you got it

This course is great if you love finishing your first hole with four people in 15 minutes and then having some punk come through and tell you to hurry up and then follow you around all day trying to speed you up. Good thing I tipped him last time. If you have a job that makes you unable to set a tee time til 5 I highly recommend the twilight rate here, $30 unlimited golf til the sun sets and you get to see the same guy clean your carts angry at the end of the day.

Commented on 04/14/2020

Hello Logan. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make the necessary improvements before your next game. Please know that we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comments for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see you again soon.

Long way to go

Played Road to Lake. Fairways very thin but many courses are that way around this time. Disappointed with greens and around greens. Very spotty and bumpy. I have seen this course in much better condition. Course was quite busy and pace of play was ok. I hope when this virus is over the Hollows can get back to better conditions and the great food and service they have. Beer selection has improved significantly with addition of taps.

Commented on 04/09/2020

Hi, Rick. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course conditions are extremely important to us. Please know that the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 03/23/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage.

Commented on 03/23/2020

Sco

Course in good shap! ! Had a ball love the smooth rolling greens

Great mothers day

First time at this course and heard mixed reviews. I thought it was fair for the amount of money we paid to play, and we played 27 holes for a minimal fee!! Awesome!!
Great course for walking. Just an awesome day!

Fairways were in great condition as were the greens for late spring. The rough was sketchy and a few lost balls. I think a lot of trees were damaged recently but the crew cleaned up what they could and it never interfered with our game.

Commented on 04/13/2020

Hello, Isaiah. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit? We take customer feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage.

Commented on 04/13/2020

Thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round? Please feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage, and we hope to see you again soon.

Disappointed Hollows

This course has great potential, however from fairways to greens (and of course I keep in mind it’s February) the course is not well cared for. The greens were the worst I’ve ever played on and I’ve played a lot in many places around the country.

Also my buddy and I went into the restaurant just before 11am and could not get lunch, breakfast or anything cooked. And the attendee’s attitude was basically “what do you expect?” and she actually said “she’s cleaning the grill so can’t do anything.” No “I’m sorry” and no care at all. And the bathrooms were very dirty.

Overall from conditions to service and amenities, this course was very disappointing.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Hello. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 01/02/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give The Hollows Golf Club another try in the near future.

My favorite haunt

This course is one of my favorite places to be. The food is EXCELLENT. The staff is friendly and the clubhouse has a charismatic atmosphere in which you’ll often find easy conversation. No noses up in the air here. Just as long as you’re respectful come “play as you are”. Reading some of the other reviews from this summer; The greens got a bad reputation this summer when they suffered from a degenerative root disease that many other courses in the area also suffered from. However, earlier in Spring of 2019 this course could be compared to almost any top notch course as far as condition goes. As a member out there 2-3 times a week I watched the owner and his excellent groundskeepers work tirelessly to make them right again. The greens are well on their way back to being amazing again and while I’ll be out there all Winter I can’t wait to see what this next Spring 2020 holds for us players. Whether you normally hack your way down the course or par every hole, this is a fair, fun course with 27 holes of awesomeness. Full disclosure; If I had one thing I could change I’d fix all the bunkers. Most are okay and I’ve seen the progress in their repair come a long way since I joined. Don’t let this deter you from playing here though! Just don’t be like me and find your ball in a bunker ha! It’s a magical place for me and I’ve learned so much about the game during my membership here.

Love this place!