Located in Montpelier, Hollows Golf Club has a 27-hole layout that is considered one of the best values in the area. The holes are divided into three nines that provide three different 18-hole combinations. The Cottage, Lake, and Road nines come with enough variety to offer something for players of all skill levels from low handicappers to more experienced players. The green fees are applicable the whole day, which allows golfers to play all three courses if they have the time and the inclination. The Cottage/Road combination only has water on one hole, but it is a memorable one. The hole is Cottage's par 3 third, which is the golf course's signature. There is not only a formidable pond along the right but also an 8-foot bunker on the left. In addition to the golf courses, the Hollows also has an all-grass driving range and putting green.

The Hollows Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Architect J. K.Timmions Ed Ault (1984) Brian Ault (1984) Tom Clark (1984)

Playing Multiple Courses 21

Needs better greens

Course is nice and open, which is great for beginner players. The fairways were in average shape for what I’d expect, but most of the greens were in need of repair. Very difficult to get a smooth line when putting.

Commented on 10/28/2019

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review of the green and fairway conditions is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back soon at The Hollows Golf Club!

ANOTHER GOOD DAY

PLAYED A DECENT ROUND (FOR ME), ENJOYED THE LACK OF CROWDS ON A WEEKDAY.

Great golf, bad ending

We had a great time until the end.
My husband and I are from Colorado, we were in town visiting family. Our brother in-law booked our tee time for the Hollows through golfnow.com. We were very excited about the great rates and all the extra amenities. We booked the rate that had the range balls, unlimited golf and lunch. Got to the course and checked in and off to golfing we went. The course was not in the best shape but for the amount we paid it was way better than our expectations. We golfed 18 holes and decided to go enjoy lunch. Lunch was great! A lot of choices and the waitress was super sweet. This is where the problem began. Lunch was supposed to be included with our rate per golfnow.com. We went to the pro shop to talk about the lunch since our waitress was also in the pro shop talking to the gentleman at the counter. This man was David Paradis. He told us we did not have lunch in our package because we did not DECLARE that we wanted it upon check-in. We are visitors, there was never any directions to declare lunch, not online or in store. We were not asked when we checked in so we thought since this is what we reserved this is what we were getting. David Paradis immediately was rude about it and loudly told us over and over if you do not DECLARE lunch you dont get the free lunch. He said on golfnow.com it also does not say lunch included but it actually did with the package we reserved, how else would we have known about it since this is our first visit to the course. I work in the customer service industry. The way we were treated was ridiculous. We are VISITORS we had no idea what the secret rules are and we should not ever be treated like idiots. Ive golfed many places and not once have I had an employee treat me this way. We had a great day golfing and really enjoyed the course only for the day to be dragged down by this extremely rude man. We will not return to this course ONLY because of David Paradis.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Hi, I am glad you all enjoyed your round but had a bad experience trying to get your complimentary lunch. I agree that our pro shop personnel could have probably handled the situation better. As you may or may not know, Golf Now is a 3rd party partner with our golf course. We decided to run the free lunch promotion on the Golf Now platform on our slower days of the week in October. What we at The Hollows did not know is that every tee time on Wednesday would be offering this rate. We thought that it would be a special offer that could be purchased when booking the tee time and the customer would have online verification of this purchase that could be shown at the counter at check-in. We did not have the intention of giving free lunch to everyone on Wednesday’s that booked on our website. The intention was to give customers a little extra incentive to book our course if they were looking for some special offer, be the deciding factor to choose our course over another.

Since your experience, we have talked to Golf now and straightened out our offering and all parties are on the same page. I don’t know how much longer you are in town but we would be happy to have you out to the course again as our guests if your interested. Again, I apologize for you negative experience, we hope you enjoy the rest of you visit to the area.

Horrible

Let’s see where should I start. Well I guess we can start by saying the practice putting green is more or less dead since it has more dead sports than it does grass, all the greens on the course are almost the same way except for maybe 1-2, the temporary greens were easier to put on than the real greens (2 holes) The bunkers were either wet or had no sand in them to hit out of like a bunker should. The tee boxes were as hard as a rock as well. It’s almost like they have let the course just go and all they do is cut the fairways and that’s about it. I can tell you out of our 4some everyone said they will not be back to play this course for a long time. We could have paid $5 more and played a course a little further away from our homes which is a 4 star rating all day long. We will be making the drive from now on.

Commented on 09/23/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Most greens were in bad shape and the 2nd cut off the fairways was horrible

Commented on 09/11/2019

Hi Katie, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the greens are extremely important to us. We are working to get everything up to par as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see earn your business again soon.

Let Down

Course is usually in good shape but the greens were burned out and diseased. Understand it was hot and no rain in late July so a few courses around here lost their greens. Need to tell the patrons when they show up. Also ridiculous pace of play. Normally its fast Took five hours because we were behind these four rednecks. They were wandering around all over the place , searching for balls for five to ten minutes, driving backwards and blasting music. Held up the entire course. 10:26 tee time and finished around 3:20 PM.Won't be rushing back any time soon.

Commented on 09/18/2019

Hi, WykaglBermingham. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing and the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage. We hope to see you again soon.

Not ready for prime time playing now

The greens which had splotches of grass was molasses slow and there were several temporary greens. This course has taken a beating from the heat and is not worth the trip nor money to golf here right now. Many of the t boxes were burned out and the bunkers were nothing more than mud.Mother nature has not been kind to The Hollows.

Commented on 08/29/2019

Hi notmuchbetter. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing The Hollows Golf Club - Lake/Cottage.

Greens are jacked- PLAY AT OWN RISK

Played The Hollows yesterday and I felt like I needed to warn others. The greens are infected with a fungus that has left most/all of them with holes/bare spots/brown dead looking grass. The attendant in the pro shop said nothing before we paid/teed off, and we quickly saw issues- the greens are all but lost in many cases. It’s bad enough that the fairways and rough aren’t in too good of shape either (easy to lose a ball just barely off of the fairway due to the type(s) of “grass” they have lol.

All I’m saying is that the course is fun, but if I had known the conditions I would have gone somewhere else. Even $30 is too much to pay play the course in this shape.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Hello mk333. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Not a great experience

Greens are close to unplayable, in addition course has several temporary greens. Used to be one of my favorite places to come out to play., maybe next year as I don’t see the effort to save the course this year.

Good course that can challenge you.

Course was easy to schedule and started right on time.
Pace of play was very good,less than 4 hour round.
Could be more choices for after play food, but what we had was good.

Nice course for the price

Solid course for a reasonable price. It's very well maintained aside from some of the tee boxes. The greens were all in amazing shape which made putting (usually the worst part of my game) very enjoyable. Varied hole designs so playing never got stale. Tight fairways on a lot of the holes made it a moderately difficult course. Only complaints are that they don't have a ranger (pace of play was very slow on my back nine due to one foursome screwing around), and that the carts are extremely loud.

Great experience

This was my first round of golf since a recent heart attack. I wanted to play a familiar course as I’ve been here many times before. My playing partner and I played Road/Lake and it sure felt great being out! The course was in good shape except for one fairway under repair. The greens ran true and were perfect. The staff was very pleasant too. I highly recommend.

Great Course for the $; HUGE improvements

I have played The Hollows since it first opened. After Tommy Pollard, the original owner and architect- a local suburb HS player who crafted this course - passed away from a severe heart attack at a young age - the course was sold by gamily to it’s present owners (young and ambitious).... they have spent a ton of money improving the fairways and greens and are constantly putting money back into the course. It is in the best condition and all I can say is Pollard would be so proud. It is a very fun course... not difficult yet a very fun course that does have a small handful of difficult holes but if you play smart can shoot a good score. A friendly course, friendly staff - not “in-your-face” friendly, just an”country-friendly” for those that get that. Each year it gets better, the owners put their profits back into the course and thrilled by their outlook and long term direction. It’s a FUN course - and a family friendly course. A gem for it’s appeal and focus. Definitely a value the money and worth the drive..... only a 1/2 hr from center of center city of Richmond.

Incredible golf course for the money!!

The Hollows is an incredible golf course, with 3 very straight forward 9 hole courses. Each one has it's own unique character. You can play 9 or 18, or if you really feel up to it, you can continue on and play the whole entire 27 holes!
You will use every single club in your bag. I know it sounds strange, but, you'll hit a crisp 7-iron one time, and then next time, you'll have to drop down to a 6-iron because either the winds changed, the flagstick changed, or maybe even the "Golf Gods" are making it play a little tougher! Ha ha ha...
Great staff, very friendly people, and just an overall favorite course to play! In closing, I hope you can see the very excited video that I shot today (4/22/19) from Lake #6, where I did an amazing "bump 'n run" with a 9-iron from roughly 20 yards away, and holed it out for a Birdie!

Montpelier, Virginia