2.2
1.9
1 reviews

Green (W) 72 4724 yards 66.7 113
Scorecard for Cardinal
Black M: 72.3/125 350 491 345 337 193 318 230 513 334 3111 387 562 455 411 212 412 492 401 202 3534 6645
Blue M: 70.8/123 W: 74.5/129 343 479 317 316 173 298 195 486 323 2930 374 545 430 400 199 402 482 388 193 3413 6343
White M: 68.3/118 W: 73.7/127 311 464 281 288 158 262 160 460 298 2682 363 484 359 389 188 384 470 366 178 3181 5863
Green M: 63.0/107 W: 66.3/109 245 414 238 237 115 201 116 400 203 2169 322 405 300 312 161 281 402 237 135 2555 4724

Year Built 1966

Carts Yes - $13

Dress code Proper golf attire required . No cutoffs allowed.

2.2

Bad shape and too much riffraff without golf knowledge

Used to like the place. Grew up playing it. Maybe now i play other enough to know what a dump this place really is. No fairway grass, work cones placed by greens, ineffective rude staff just to name a few. And brace yourself for a loooong round secondary to the type of inner city player youll expect to encounter. Got alittle more money? Its worth more to go somewhere else.

Deer Run is Endearing

Played this course for the 3rd time recently. It is a must play for us everytime we visit from Canada. The value for the money is the attraction here; a nice, well maintained course at a very low price for the fall rate. We're playing it again tomorrow. On Mondays, they have a fish special in the clubhouse, a buck a filet (and they are big, and good).

Commented On 11/10/2017

Thank you davachev for the four star review! We are glad w are your go-to course when you visit the area! Glad you can join us again this fall season.

Great Greens

This course is in great shape. Level of play is average with wide fairways and fairly flat greens. Have played here several times but never seen it crowed, so the pace of play is enjoyable. Well worth the stop over if you are passing through the area. Convenient to Newport News/Williamsburg (PHF) airport, Busch Gardens theme park and Colonial Williamsburg.

Commented On 07/19/2016

Thank you dfunnyfarmmaw for your 4 star review. We are glad you had a great time at the course. We hope to see you hitting the greens with us again soon!

Pretty good course

I've played a few times now at this location and it is in pretty good shape, fairly challenging. Great course for the price. My only complaint is at my tee time there were supposed to 2-3 other people (I was a single) but when I checked in, the others checked in early and the starter sent them on Cardinal. So now I am a single playing in between two threesomes. If you have a tee time, it's up to the starter to make sure you go off on that tee time to avoid situations like this.

Commented On 05/31/2016

Thank you Gerry2372743 for the 4 star review. We appreciate your feedback and course experience. We are always improving and to strive to provide great customer service. Hope to see you on the course again soon.

This is very friendly course

I almost run over the biggest copperhead snake with the cart on the highest handy cap hole on the course that I have ever seen by far.

Great course for the price

The course was in beautiful condition considering all the bad weather lately. Great staff and a good time overall

Commented On 05/12/2016

Thank you TattooGolf for the 4 star review! We appreciate your time to write a review. Hope to see you out on the course again soon!

Stay away from this course!!!

While the restaurant staff was good, the pro shop staff was unfriendly. The course layout was pretty decent and the greens were pretty fair. The fairways were more like groomed weeds, the traps were almost unplayable, and the tee areas were mud holes devoid of any grass. We played in 5 1/2 hours with 3/4 groups on several tees. The pin placements were very difficult - especially for a weekend. I would never return here and would tell anyone to stay away as well.

Playaround1234
Commented On 05/26/2018

Ive experienced the same conditions. Maybe i just expect a pleasant round on a decent golf course. Wont find it here. Horrible

Gerry2372743
Commented On 05/28/2016

I've never experienced any of this at this course

Commented On 04/29/2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience at the course. Newport News takes customer satisfaction very seriously. We are always looking to improve customer service. We take your feedback to heart and hope that you will try us again in the future.

This course has a nice lauout.

Very nice course. Challenging enough for average golfers. Course was in good condition. Weather was overcast with a few showers but still played well. Staff was very accommodating. Only complaint was rental clubs were a little rough and out-dated but didn't seem to hurt my high handicap game!

Commented On 04/26/2016

Thank you James4280861 for your feedback. We appreciate our golfers taking the time to write a review. We are glad the weather didn't keep you away and hope to see you again on the course soon.

Nice layout

Great city course, traps are in beautiful shape, greens too. Tee boxes could be better, but early in the season. Starter kinda grumpy.

great course for the money

Long course with good greens and conditions. Lots of deer and wildlife. Great value. great pro shop and driving range.

Great Late Winter Round of Golf

Greens were recently aerated and sanded. Combined with the moisture...the greens were very inconsistent. The fairways were in good shape considering the time of year. This being said, this course was in better condition and maintained better than other courses in the immediate area. I will play this course again before considering other courses this time of year.

Best green in this area

I live at Williamsburg VA. I have many many good courses around my home.

This is first time to play here, but I am so impressed.

The course design is somewhat challenging enough and the length of the course is good.

Mostly, I liked the condition of the green.
It was very fast and nicely maintained.

I will go there frequently.

Commented On 10/21/2015

Thank you so much for the excellent star rating! we are very pleased you loved the course as much as we do! See you soon!

Cardinal Course Experience

Nice course for an inexpensive, but enjoyable round of golf. Have played the course a few times over the years.

Thanks Larry,
We appreciate you coming out! Please come back and give us a shot at those other two stars!

~NNGC

the course was challenging.

even though it was challenging, it allow for the long ball on many of the par 4's. the fair ways however where beginning to be covered with leaves. it was frustrating to lose my ball on the fair way lol. Hopefully that can be addressed, other wise ill play else where until the spring :)

Commented On 10/28/2015

Thanks for coming and playing! We appreciate the feedback. I completely understand the frustration of losing your ball among the leaves, and I apologize. We are blowing leaves all day this time of year, but when you have 14,000 yards of wooded golf course, it can be a pretty daunting task. I can assure you this issue is specific to this very particular part of the year, and will not be a factor come next spring. Thanks again for coming and playing and we hope to see you soon!

Great Value

Great course for the money. There are a lot of expensive courses in the area but this fits a budget. The greens are undulating and in good shape. The fairways are average but still good. Nice elevation changes. Overall it's great for 1/2 the money.

Mike,
Thanks for the positive feedback, we appreciate you coming in! We hope to see you again soon!

Deers and golf

Starting on a Sunday afternoon with (it seemed) nobody on the course. We played the Deer Run course. Located in a park with deers grazing along the fairways. It was an enjoyable experience. The course was well maintained and doable for all level golfers.

Commented On 10/02/2015

Thank you for the flattering review. We really appreciate it! We're glad you love it as much as we do!

Could be better

Do not use restrooms during play (it is dis.....)
A lot of goose poopp....a lot. And you can smell it.

Commented On 10/02/2015

Thank you for the feedback, and we are sorry that your experience with the bathroom was unpleasant. We will address the situation.

Hoping the service was a one time thing.

The course was good, the bunkers could have more sand in them then crushed dirt. The sandwich I had before my round started had a toothpick broken in half and inserted between the bread. The bar manager at the time did not seem overly concerned and did not ask to replace my slightly expensive club sandwich. I did not Finish my meal and was not offered a refund. The water coolers on the course we're empty but had ice in them so they needed to be filled, the beverage cart person was not to be seen the entire round, 4 half hours. When our group called the proshop to ask where she was we were informed that she is contract and didn't have to go out there If she didn't want to? Funny I thought deer run was a municipal course. And he said we are not going to fill the coolers up because we can't spare a person, yet we saw an employee riding around behind us and stopping the the shaded woods reading a book. The service was very bad this day. I am hoping it was a one time thing, I like this course.

Commented On 10/02/2015

Thank you for the feedback, and we are sorry your experience wasn't as good as either of us had hoped. I appreciate you bringing all of this to our attention. It will be addressed.

drop off bags then prepare to hike back to clubhouse

If you arrive more than 15 minutes before your tee time you will need to drop off your clubs, park your care then walk back to club house. The only problem is there was a sign warning you not to drop off your bag unattended, however there was no one to help with the bag or attend to them while you park your car. I'm not sure if this club is having a problem with property coming up missing but I felt very uncomfortable leaving my bag after such a warning. Otherwise the course was in excellent condition, with an abundance of wild life , I had a great time.

Commented On 10/02/2015

Thank you for the feedback, and i'm happy you enjoyed the course. We're sorry you had to leave your bag unattended. A solution to this issue will be addressed.

They do not like golfnow/lastminute golfer that is for sure

As soon as I checked in and they found out I used golfnow to book my tee time their attitude went way down hill. The person at the counter actually said, "You are one of them". Bottom line if you dont like people using golfnow, dont offer it. Their attitude ruined my time there. The cherry on top was the starter, he was perhaps the ruddiest person I have ever encountered at a golf course. It seemed like he went out of his way to make me feel alienated simply because I used golfnow. This was unfortunate, but the solution is simple, I will not be going back there.

Valid dates: May 20, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Enjoy exclusive access to the legendary courses of TPC Sawgrass with a 2 night stay, breakfast and 2 rounds of golf.
PARK CITY VACATION DEALS
Stay and Play
Stay & Play Escape at Eagle Eye!
Stay and Play
Stay & Play this Summer at Hawk Hollow!
Unlimited Golf Stay and Play at St James Bay Golf Club