Bent Tree Golf Club

1.5
2.2
1 reviews
1 reviews

The lush, rolling terrain occupied by Bent Tree Golf Club was sculpted into one of the most popular championship golf courses in central Ohio. Dennis Griffiths, the course's architect, seamlessly blended the design with the natural features of the landscape. The abundant natural water hazards come into play on half the holes and Griffiths strategically incorporated several well placed bunkers. The terrain's gentle undulations provide some interesting slope in the greens that place a priority on accuracy. Bent Tree Golf Club's par-4 eighth hole is especially demanding. It may be short at only 334 yards but it is surrounded by bunkers on all sides. It is followed by another tricky par 4 that requires both distance and accuracy in order to navigate the tree-lined fairway uphill to an undulating green faced with bunkers to the front and back.
Championship Tees 72 6642 yards 71.9 126
Back Tees 72 6239 yards 70.3 121
Middle Tees 72 5763 yards 67.5 118
Forward Tees (W) 72 5110 yards 69.1 119
Scorecard for Bent Tree
Championship M: 71.9/126 353 182 517 379 422 550 185 334 385 3307 573 390 383 214 361 521 363 140 390 3335 6642
Back M: 70.3/121 332 161 491 346 412 514 175 323 368 3122 553 376 372 190 344 468 334 125 355 3117 6239
Middle M: 67.5/118 299 132 468 302 396 494 151 289 343 2874 505 359 334 161 321 445 320 106 338 2889 5763
Forward W: 69.1/119 241 101 425 249 374 450 122 264 307 2533 448 316 300 145 301 405 285 86 291 2577 5110

Year Built 1989
Architect Denis Griffiths

Dress code No tank tops or cutoffs

2.3

Great public track despite train wreck staff

Played Bent Tree many times. Almost always in good to great condition with some unique holes. This week’s experience was the worst.

First, took 14 mins simply to check in with the front desk even though I was one of only two golfers in the entire shop. Just sat there while he took 2 phone calls. Retail tip: Deal with the customer trying to give you money standing in front of you instead of prioritizing a phone call.

Second, back nine we’re waiting in the fairway for the green to clear. Maintenance crew starts all the sprinklers in the fairway. No heads up at all. Soaks one guy completely & our entire golf cart was wrecked. Flooded the engine so cart wouldn’t start for a few mins and fried my Garmin GPS sitting in the cup holder. Staff didn’t apologize or acknowledge anything, just continued walking.

Third, it was amateur hour. Not only did a round take 4 hours & 38 mins on a fairly empty golf course, but every green had 2 pins. Regular pin, and another one with larger cups from an earlier outing they just didn’t bother to remove.

What happened to the Fairways ?

My group loves this course,, we try to play it 3-4 times each year,, However our first round there this year was a total shock. The normally beautiful lush fairways were sparse,splotchy and appeared to be totally burnt up, and the greens all had numerous un-fixed ball marks. Whether the burnt condition was caused by chemicals or weather, didn't matter , we've played on several " cheap courses" this year that had fairways that were in much better shape. We have cancelled our plans for return trips this year and hope they recover by next year.

Commented On 09/09/2016

First of all, we thank you for the support throughout the years. After about 4 inches of rain last month, we worked backwards to get fairways back to their ideal conditions. We've already seen tremendous improvement and hope that your group will visit again in the future.

Amazing Day of Golf on Fourth of July Weekend

From the beginning to the end our day at Bent Tree was great! It started with the surprise of getting one free beer and one free hamburger because we were golfing during the holiday weekend. Well done, Bent Tree Management, well done. The course was in beautiful shape. My dad, dad-in-law, and brother-in-law played a foursome. Never had to wait once at the tee box and never had anybody pushing us.

The starter (decked out in full Michigan gear) was a very fun guy who set the vibe that this was a course to have fun, not some stuck-up you really need to follow the rules or else kind of place. Cart girl was great...she always found us at the right time.

PSA about the course, get ready to play out of the sand. There are bunkers everywhere! Even so, it made for a very fun day of golf.

We will be back.

Commented On 07/07/2016

Thank you so much for the fantastic review -- we work hard to keep the course looking great and are so grateful when golfers share their experiences! We will send word of your satisfaction to our starter and cart girls, they will be thrilled to hear your feedback. Great tip on bunker play -- we pride ourselves on a challenging round and are so glad to hear your group really enjoyed it. We can't wait to have you guys back, thanks again!

Great day for a January round and the course was in great shape.

After seeing the weather forecast for the weekend of Jan 30-31, I knew I had to go out golfing, and since I had heard that Bent Tree was open weather permitting, I couldn't pass up playing this course for $29 with a cart. The course was in excellent shape considering the recent rain/snowmelt, with the only exceptions being the bunkers, but that's beyond the ability of any groundskeepers to do anything about. I'm not really a fan of the bunkers here to begin with. They seem more like shallow (oftentimes fairly wide# depressions in the earth with a thin layer of sand. Sadly, probably due to budgetary constraints, this seems to be more the rule than the exception at most courses, making it to the point that when I do play a course like Ohio State Scarlet who vigilantly maintain their bunkers, while I'd rather be out of the bunkers than in, I almost feel a bit giddy to be in a bunker that you can actually play proper bunker shots in. But I digress. Once again, the course was in excellent shape for any time of the year really, better than when we went twice last July. Back then, there were some burned out patches on some of the fairways, but I noticed nothing amiss with the course today. It was definitely a thrill to be able to skip a ball over ice and onto dry land. It's not something I've ever had the chance to do, not playing in cold weather much. This course has a nice layout, and I've played here many times so I am very familiar with it. I'm so glad they mowed the tall grass that they had between the tees and the water on the par 3 7th for a couple years. That seemed a bit punitive for players who struggle to hit the ball consistently, particularly when it's over water. The pace of play was fine, even if the group in front seemed to take twice as long as they needed to on most of the greens. I will definitely be back here in the future. I'm just not sure if it will be this year. There are MANY course to play in the area and around the state, if you're the type who likes to have a wide variety of courses on their plate each year. I would highly recommend making this course a part of your regular rotation, as it's never disappointed #except sometimes on the scorecard).

Commented On 06/24/2016

Great review! Thank you very much for taking the time to give us and golfers such great feedback. We work really hard to maintain conditions, even in the more "off" than on-season, so really appreciate your sharing. We hope you'll be back again soon this year!

Winter golf

For November 27 in Ohio the day was great. 56 degrees,some wind and the course was in good condition . Leaves were blown from the course and everything was good. Head pro is a great guy.

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thank you for the kind words! We hope you'll be back again this Summer.

Well maintained course

Nice, well maintained course. Challenging with many traps and some long 3 pars. Windy conditions on our playing date made for some tough shots.

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thanks for taking the time to share your review, come see us again this year!

soggy foggy day...greens were great

Played Bent Tree the day after some rain. It was cart path only, and the entire course (except the greens) was in need of cutting. Fairway grass very long, and the rough was high with quite a lot of leaves. Greens were if very good shape, and the course was really beautiful. Craig G. is great in the Pro Shop.

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thank you for reviewing our course, we appreciate your feedback. I can assure you we've been working hard to maintain great conditions -- hope you'll visit again soon!

Great Value, Good Test of Golf

Got a Hot a Deal for $19 and couldn't pass it up. Especially since the golf season is about to end. Started just before 3pm after an outing and finished just before dark. Sure wish everyone would play ready-golf instead of thinking they are on the PGA Tour. If that was the case, our foursome would have been done an hour earlier. Overall a good experience and the course was in nice shape. Give Bent Tree a try.

Course in poor condition

Bare areas in fairways, Tees chewed up. Greens mostly good. I expected much better for these prices. Shooting range or something with sporadic gunfire near 6th hole.

Good Course, Could Be Betterr

Overall this is a decent course with some unique holes. The conditions were decent but they could do better. Most tee boxes were in rough shape and the ponds was filthy. Other then that it was fun course. The back is fairly difficult with a lot of water to work around.

Sunbury, Ohio