A view of a green with water coming into play at Dogwood Trace Golf Course.

Type Public/Municipal
Style Parkland

The 18-hole Dogwood Trace Golf Course (formerly known as Lee Park Golf Course) in Petersburg, VA is a public golf course. Stretching over 6600 yards from the back tees while playing to a par 72 the course features four different sets of tee boxes and can be enjoyed by players of all skill levels. Players will find extensive bunkering lakes and ponds with bulkheads that come into play on several holes and well-manicured challenging greens.

Dogwood Trace Golf Course

Year Built 1978
Architect Tom Clark (2008) Algie Pulley (1978) James Cervone

Commented on 05/11/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, RG1BC7F295BEC34F3DC3! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Dogwood Trace Golf Course!

Dogwood

PlAy this course regularly and it was in pretty good condition. Only frustration was that besides having a really poor round - Golf now rate saved me $1 over regular senior rate.

Commented on 04/21/2020

u000006341711, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Dogwood Trace Golf Course.

Virginia Advisor

Handling Things Well

A lot of courses have had to make adjustments to stay open these days and Dogwood Trace is leading the way with a walk-up window to check in and pay, pool noodles in all the holes, and good communication about any other changes.

The course looked like it had been recently aerated but putts still rolled mostly true if not consistent for speed through some of the sandier areas. Though there were no rakes on the course, the bunkers were in decent shape but the sand was firm from overnight rain.

What I like most about the layout here is how easy it is to walk. There's not a long distance between holes and very little in the way of hills to climb. It's not the most dynamically designed course but it gets the job done and plays pretty easy which can really build your confidence.

The staff is friendly, the course has everything you really need onsite (except an open clubhouse and pro shop) and with GolfNow and GOLFPASS deals available nearly every day, it's a good value too!

Commented on 03/30/2020

Hi Back9Ben! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We hope to see you back!

KEEP IN YOUR ROTATION

This golf course continues to amaze...
The Staff told me that they continue to make your day as perfect experience as possible...They self imposed some new suggestions regarding the serious nature of the Coronavirus....They evening instituted a "walk-up" window to pay....Asked players to not remove pins when putting and to not shake hands or do "high fives"...
The G.M./Golf Professional Jamie is the catalyst behind these new safety measures...The thoughtfulness does not go unnoticed....Thank you for being so pro-active....Made my day even more memorable...

Commented on 03/18/2020

Hello, SELFTAUGHTMAN. We are beyond happy to hear that you enjoyed a great day at our course. Positive experiences make lifelong golfers. We look forward to many good times ahead with you. We will pass on your kind words to those responsible so they can continue to help others enjoy great experiences at Dogwood Trace Golf Course.

Commented on 03/13/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Dogwood Trace Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Just aerated...bummer

loved the course and layout. Unfortunately they just had aerated the course, greens putting was tough. Would love to get another shot at it one of these days.

Commented on 03/13/2020

Hi par4danbo. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Dogwood Trace Golf Course.

Commented on 03/13/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Bounce3! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Dogwood Trace Golf Course!

Goof municipal course

Great practice area to warm up. Being February, fairways and rough were decent. Course fairly dry considering all the rain we’ve been getting. Most, but not all, of bunkers were in good condition. We would like to play again. Pro shop attendee was very hospitable!

Commented on 02/19/2020

Hello stanleygo. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Still wet

The course is still very wet even with no rain in last 4-5 days. No starter to control tee times -seemed like groups were jockeying for position not knowing who’s up or next! Traps need work. Whatever sand is in them is hard packed and needs raking badly. Pace of play was adequate-4 1/2 hours and we stayed up with group in front of us but they were at least one full hole behind. Temp in low 70’s made all issues bearable !!

Commented on 02/10/2020

Hi Fazzer9978. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Dogwood Trace Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

Commented on 02/10/2020

Aeration Alert

Thank you for putting sand in the bunkers and building some steps to 3 and 9 greens. A small pet peeve is when you put the flags in PGA locations. Stop it. I have been playing this course for a few years and not very many golfers out there are that good. It’s trifling and needs to stop.

Two other more bothersome things. InformIng your guests that you have aerated the greens before they play would be nice (just in case you were wondering.... no one wants to put through sand!!!!!! ) and for the love of God put some freaking yardage markers on every hole at 100, 150, 200 yards.

I know you have some markers but most of them are hard to see even if you are standing on top of them. You have posts on every hole that says NO CARTS how about putting a yardage on them.
This is why I have a love hate relationship with this course. I love playing it but hate that you can’t fix this little thing.

Maybe Instead of just guesstimating my yardage I should just wander around the fairway holding everyone up until you fix it. BTW....it really isn’t that hard to put stakes in the ground... Just saying.

Commented on 03/13/2020

Thanks so much for your review. In regards to your additional comments, we announced our aerification schedule on Facebook as well as updating all signage on the counters, in the bathrooms, and in our newsletter. Please refer to our March 3rd Facebook post announcing this essential maintenance practice. Our staff also made everyone aware who booked tee times for the two days our facility was affected, and we offered special discounted rates for those two days. Our pin locations are selected based on multiple factors and we can assure you that none of them have to do with making the golf course more difficult for our golfers. Rather the placement is selected based on wear patterns on the greens, finding a level and flat surface and utilizing the best part of the green based on conditions for the day. Next, we have plates in the center of each fairway at 100, 150 and 200 yards. Additionally, we have a white post on every hole the 150-yard mark. For the 98% of golfers that utilize a range finder or other yardage device, we will be adding reflective tape to our flag sticks to make finding yardages even easier. Finally, in regard to the NO CARTS signs, putting a yardage on them would not be useful because they are meant to be moved weekly to change the exit points to improve cart traffic wear patterns.

We are sorry that you have a conflicted relationship with our facility, however next time we encourage you to stop by the golf shop and speak with one of our knowledgeable pros about your concerns and suggestions regarding our facility.

Horrible service

The staff has NEVER excepted coupons or deals from the internet. I had a free round that was sent to me on 22 Dec to be us d before the end of the year. We played on 26 Dec and the person behind the counter said he wasn’t really sure about the coupon so he charged us $41 each. No winter rate, no sorry for you inconvenience for the mix up. $41 to play golf on 26 Dec in Virginia in 50 degree weather. It’s happened time and time again dealing the staff at Dogwood. Poor service and poor staff. I will never play there again!

Anonymous

The course is still in good shape and greens are fast just wish people would fix their divots

The best Value Play in RVA/Tri-Cities

Dogwood Trace never disappoints. The course conditions are always excellent and the staff is friendly and accommodating for groups large and small. This is the best “value-play” in the RVA/Tri-cities hands down!

Great coarse Was a bad grouping

If there was one thing I didn’t like about this round was the fact that I picked up the great value on golf now. And the location decided to put me in the middle of a bad group. I had a foursome behind me and a foursome in front of me and I was playing alone! Other than that I love the court time of the staff it is my home course I will not change my home course. I just hope to be grouped a little better if I get a deal like this again.

Commented on 10/28/2019

Hi Kdoane76. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Dogwood Trace Golf Course!

Commented on 10/21/2019

Commented on 10/17/2019

Hello, u7805445. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Dogwood Trace Golf Course!

Pace of play ruined today's round

Having an earlier t time my brother and I waited out the heaviest rain and played about 45 minutes later than our specified time. When we started on hole #1 there was not a sole in sight. We breezed thru the first 4 holes then it happened. There was Frick and Frack standing in the middle of fairway on hole #5 just hacking away, left, right, left and right. It took each of the hacks about 8 shots to reach this short par 4. They had no earthly idea or consideration about the unwritten etiquette of golf. They saw that my brother and I waer much better golfers than they were and they passed up many opportunities to allow us to play thru. But NO! not Frick and Frack. We putted out on hole #6 and they were just getting ready to hit their t shots on the par 3 #7. These two numb nuts ruined what was a great round of golf for both my brother and I. I was 2 under after the first 9 and my brother was even par. The constand waiting on EVERY shot on the back nine wore on us as the mist and wind had never stopped completely and we kind of lost interest in today's round. The course was in excellent condition, the fairways in great condition and the greens putted true and held long iron shots with no problem.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Thank you for the very helpful feedback. We're very sorry to hear that another group of golfers were inconsiderate towards you. We hope it won't deter you from coming back in the future.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Hi u000003368680. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Dogwood Trace Golf Course.

Happy ending

Booked tee time with golf now app. Did not realize a school tournament was in progress. Staff allowed me to start on back nine. Then finish on front , so as to not interfere with tournament and allow me to play my round. Course was in great shape. Very good day. Thanks again.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us kccarter. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Dogwood Trace Golf Course thanks you!

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020