Dogwood Trace Golf Course

Type Public/Municipal
The 18-hole Dogwood Trace Golf Course in Petersburg, VA is a public golf course. Stretching over 6700 yards from the back tees while playing to a par 72 the course features four different sets of tee boxes and can be enjoyed by players of all skill levels. Players will find extensive bunkering lakes and ponds with bulkheads that come into play on several holes and well-manicured challenging greens.
Dogwood Trace Golf Course
Gold 72 6605 yards
Blue 72 6391 yards
White 72 5834 yards
Red 72 4914 yards
Scorecard for Dogwood
Gold M: 72.1/132 331 505 338 221 336 507 210 518 178 3144 195 390 420 430 465 538 169 337 517 3461 6605
Blue M: 71.0/130 323 487 334 201 330 497 200 508 166 3046 189 386 414 424 454 530 134 317 497 3345 6391
White M: 68.4/123 W: 73.3/132 291 452 303 136 301 473 170 484 133 2743 173 357 377 388 424 505 118 281 468 3091 5834
Red W: 68.2/120 249 399 254 128 256 388 127 413 107 2321 136 270 314 310 339 451 70 253 450 2593 4914

Year Built 2008
Architect Tom Clark (2008)

Reviews were spot on. Enjoyed the round

My glowing review of Dogwood Trace is undoubtably influenced by the fact that I played the best round of my life with my two brothers, who I seldom see. We were in Richmond for my daughter‘s wedding, and made the trek to Petersburg to play here I chose this quote because of the reviews on Golf Advisor.Due to a dire weather forecast, we were virtually alone on a Friday morning inOctober. We ended up being rained on on the back nine, but the course was in good shape and we soldiered through. As some reviews indicate, balls would sometime disappear in the rough. But it was the nature of the grass, and not uncut grass. All in all, the course was in great shape, staff were accommodating, I had a around I will never forget.

Stay out of the rough

This is course is awesome . Great value challenging and great layout. But the only bad thing is the rough is so thick that it is very easy to lose your ball even if u inches off the fairways u literally have to walk right up on the ball to find it slows pace of play . But it challenges u to hit fairways

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
Thanks for leaving us a great four-star review! We're so appreciative of the kind words and we look forward to your next round with us!

Rules application

A group of eight was allowed to play as a group the entire 18 holes. I reported this to clubhouse 3 times during the round. If they were approached they did not heed the warnings. Not only did they remain intact, but did not play fluently as a group. All 4 carts would park at each individuals ball and wait for that player to hit his shot before moving as a group to next shot. Play was extremely slow. They allowed a two player group to play through, but would not allow my group of two to do so. I could guess as to thier reasoning, but dont want to speculate. I myself have been approached as to rules violation ie., close to greens, 90 degrees, etc. No problem with compliance. I feel as i should be afforded same courtesies during my round. Raises a question, if i bring a large group would we be allowed to play 18 as group or asked to leave. My military retiree group would not mind a discussion with management about this incident. Truly dissapointed

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/19/2018:
We're very sorry to hear about your experience and our Director of Golf, Jamie Fagan, would like to discuss it further with you. You can give him a call at (804) 732-5573

Tough times for a great course

This course always shows well, but heavy rains lately have it a bit off. Not as well mown as usual but thick turf. Greens had been oddly aerated with some form of surface grit.

These things will pass! This is a great course that should be appreciated, just a bit off on this weekend.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
Thank you for leaving us helpful feedback! We're currently in great shape and we hope you'll return for a terrific round?

I hope our worst fears are not coming to pass!

Course was wet so sloppy and it can be hard to keep it pristine as it almost awaits is.

Now......the greens here are some of the best in the area but it appears they are losing them. I really hope they don’t as that is the best part of the course IMHBAO.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
The heavy September rains did take a toll but the greens are back and looking great! Please come and see us again soon.
Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
Thank you for the five stars and great feedback!

Return trip

Once again I enjoyed the round of golf yesterday. The ONLY negative comment I will say is that the rough is brutal in that locating your errant shots are a mystery. The ball completely is hidden from sight due to the height and thickness of the rough. I understand that the rough is not fairway and should be somewhat challenging but to allow it to grow at that height and wasting time searching for your golf ball just slows down play. If you miss the green just a little bit short, long , right or left then there is no problem. The delay in locating your shot is when you have hit a driver, fairway wood or long iron. Then the guessing game begins.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
We're so pleased that you had a good round despite the rough. We'll pass along your feedback to our grounds team!

KEEP THIS COURSE IN YOUR ROTATION

This Public Golf Course has it all...Professional staff. friendly and accommodating...Arrive early and take advantage of the amazing practice facilities. Putting Green, Driving Range (all grass), Practice sand bunkers and a practice chipping green. All Country Club quality. The golf course always has great conditioning that will rival any course in the entire area of central Virginia.

PLAY IT I WILL GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RETURN!!!

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
What a terrific five-star review! Thank you for the very kind words and recommendation! Please come and see us again soon.

Another great round

Maybe Nancy on rains last several days but course drains well. Obviously played long due to the rain but was very playable.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
We're glad that you had a great time despite the recent rains! Please return to see us again soon.

Dogwood Trace

Worth the trip to Petersburg for this little gem.

Great layout, course us always in good condition and for $44 or less on weekend in summer, one of the best values in RVA.

It can get crowded on weekends which is expected, but they have Marshall's and the pace of play is under 4 for 18.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 10/18/2018:
Thank you for making the drive to come see us. We're so happy that you had a great round and we hope you'll be back for another soon!

Nice Course

Nice course with plenty opportunity to use all clubs...

You do have to look for ball just off fairways... it rather deep. I had a couple of flyers...

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/19/2018:
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us four stars! We hope you'll be back again soon!

Little slow and a little tight

Pace of play was very bad on the front 9 as everyone was backed up. I’m talking we would finish the home we played to get to the tee box of the next hole where the group in front of us was wanting to tee off. Think this could be adjusted by making start times a little bit further apart from each other. I will say however when we got to the back 9 we didn’t have this problem at all, as things started to work like they should.

Course is in great shape from tee box to green, however this course is super tight. Best comparison I can think of is Glenwood. As long as you can hit the ball straight every time and not have a big slice or hook then you will be fine. This course being so tight does make it that much more challenging. The course over all is very nice for the price.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/19/2018:
Thank you for leaving us four stars and great feedback! We're sorry to hear about the slower play on the front 9. We understand that can be frustrating. But we're so pleased that you enjoyed our conditions and we hope you'll be back again soon.
Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/19/2018:
Thank you for leaving us five stars!

Great Shape

Course is in better shape than any Bermuda grass course in Central VA -- by a mile. Fun track - great staff - really fast pace of play.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/06/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a terrific five-star review! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your round with us. Please come back again soon!

Courses in great shape

Course is in top condition which is great to see. Last three four weeks have been very dry and the course is holding up well.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/19/2018:
Thanks for leaving us a terrific five-star review! We're so pleased that you enjoyed your round and our conditions. Come back and see us again soon!

Hurray Public Course

The course is paying awesome. The fairways are in excellent shape, the tee boxes are good and the greens are rolling true for the price you can’t beat Dogwood Trace!

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 07/06/2018:
We're so appreciative of your wonderful five-star review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our conditions. Please come back again soon!

Good day

The course was a little wet from rain but was in great shape. Pace of play was slow but that is normal at Dogwood. Greens putted well. Good value. I play here with friends several times a year.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 06/29/2018:
Thank you for the very nice four-star review! We're very pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. Please come and see us again soon!

Great Value

The course was in great condition. Had a great time and will definitely be back. A few of the older reviews stated the greens were in poor condition however I did not have this experience- they were clean, fast, well kept greens in my opinion. Would recommend this course to anyone in the southern Richmond area.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 06/25/2018:
Thank you for leaving us such a great five-star review, James! We're so pleased that you enjoyed our conditions and we look forward to your next round with us.

Course is in Great Shape

It’s an unknown Gem! This course gives other regional public courses a level of excellence they can aspire to. Amenities include Clubhouse / Pro Shop built in 2017. The driving range, chipping / sand trap, along with the putting green practice areas are in excellent conditions, just like the course itself. Though I try to avoid sand traps, the traps are well maintained with proper drainage; and your hitting out of real sand - not some compacted sandbox that hasn't been maintained in months. Fairways and greens are well maintained and in the condition I'd consider ideal. The staff, Clubhouse / Pro Shop / Marshalls, are all professional and courteous. Interactions with them leave you feeling appreciated. (As one should but that doesn’t always happen.) Though it is a 45 minute drive, the affordable greens fee makes it worthwhile. (PS. Gas prices are lower than in Richmond too!) I would and do, play this course frequently.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 06/29/2018:
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful five-star review! It's truly always so terrific to hear that a golfer leaves Dogwood Trace with a great impression. We're so pleased that you consistently have a good time here and we look forward to your next round with us!
Petersburg, Virginia