Mill Quarter Plantation Country Club

"Ehh"

VSGAgolf's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2017
First time playing Walked Wet weather

This was my first time playing Mill Quarter, and I was not impressed. Before my round, I was talking to one of the employees and he hyped this place up like it was Augusta National. This is a direct quote of what he said to me before the round, "These greens are fast, probably a 12 on the stimp-meter, and the rough, boy is it brutal. This is probably one of the closest things to a US Open that you will play in the Richmond area." I went to the putting green and quickly realized that this guy was so wrong it wasn't even funny. Honestly, I would say the greens ran no faster than a four. They were some of the slowest greens that I have ever putted on. Then, the rough, that he claimed was US Open esque? This stuff was some of the thinnest stuff that I have played on. It was like the first cut at most places. The fact that he even mentioned US Open in the same breath as Mill Quarter Plantation is a disgrace.

The course conditions at best are 2 stars. Some of the fairways are inconsistently cut, the bunkers are in poor shape, and on many of the holes are areas where several trees have been cut down, and play as a hazard (I guess).

The layout isn't really special. The front nine is pretty plain Jane, and the back doesn't have more than a couple of quality holes.

The course is wide open, and although I did enjoy the par three 13th, par five 15th, and par five 17th, it wasn't enough to make up for the lack of exciting holes on the front.

The practice facilities are subpar, to say the least. There is a driving range with big signs signaling the yardage, but that's it. It's pretty much a large field with signs (and the yardages aren't even measured correctly). There is a putting green, but no chipping green, and the putting green is slow with ball marks all over it (from people chipping).

I do not recommend Mill Quarter and even though I know it is relatively inexpensive, it is out in the middle of nowhere, far from central Richmond. This isn't on the verge of a one-star course, but it isn't far from it.

"Amazing"

Lukeneale's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

This is one of the best courses I have played. It provides wide fairways, so this course is great for beginners. It is also has some challenging greens, so it is great for people with experience. This course is one of the only courses great for beginners and golfers with expierence. The fairways and greens are well taken care of. The staff is amazing. I have to drive a little farther to get to this course, but it is definitely worth it.

"Great Course with Large Bent Grass Greens"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

The course is in the process of developing the land around it, and has had a lot of timber cut around the sides of the course. I asked the friendly guy working in the pro shop about the work being done and he said that houses are coming around the course in the next year or two. He said they are going to clean up whats left of the timbering and plant grass around the edges to widen the course this spring and summer because it got to wet from the rain and the timbering company could not finish. The layout has not changed at all but does look quite different without the trees. The greens are in perfect shape along with the tee boxes, the fairways are still dormant Bermuda grass.I had a great time and will continue to play there 3 times a week. You can"t go wrong with the price either-

"They ruined the course"

PowhatanGolfer's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2016

Used to be a nice course with several heavily wooded holes. They have since mass cleared virtually every tree on several holes ruining the design and layout of the holes. In the past there were several tree lined holes that made for challenging shots, now they are wide open. The trees have been replaced by craggy ground littered with all of the debris from the tree clearing. The owner has made no effort to clean up these areas. What a shame, a nice course ruined.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 01/17/2017

Be honest. "some sections of the course may still be recovering" really doesn't describe the condition along some of the holes. They are littered with branches and deep ruts. If this is what you consider "landscaping decisions", I suggest you have a serious talk with your greenskeeper!

Commented on 01/16/2017

We're very sorry that you feel this way about the course. We made some landscaping decisions some time ago and some sections of the course may still be recovering. We hope you come see us again soon!

"Little bit of country"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Nice out of the way course. Not busy at all, so can play at your own pace. Greens ok , just aerated week ago but coming around . Fairways weak and traps look ok, but lucky enough to only play out of one. Not my go to course but nice for a change of pace . Long enough to have challenge , especially since is a little tight. Only complaint was and we are not sure why,but Marshall very visible. At first thought we were doing something wrong but think there was some kids out on spring break few holes behind us he was monitoring. Never said a thing to us , but drove by with little scowl and never said anything like smile great day you having good day whatever. Went passed us few times saw on at least four holes but gave us a little unwelcome feeling. Felt liked school mom was watching but affected my playing partner more than me. When asked if wanted to go in have beer end of round he preferred just to leave. Might have tough time getting him back there. We are not fast by any means but played 18 in a little under 4 hours so thought we were moving ok. Just felt strange being there was not anyone within a couple holes of us all day . Ah well, still had a great day of golf.

Commented on 04/29/2016

We're glad to hear you had a great day of golf despite less-than-ideal course conditions. As you may have noticed, we're working on getting the condition of things built back up. That said, we'd love for you to come back sometime in the future -- we're always happy to have you!

"Little bit of country"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Nature and country. Peaceful, slow and nice natural feel. Average layout with little tightness to its feel. Woods and nature predominate. Greens good and fairways in good shape. Yes traps are hard , not the fluffy feel, but had rained week before and some fairways very muddy on the sides. Course will not drain well so yes traps will be more of a chip not an explosion . Good value when get hot deal rate, but yes rack rate would be high for quality of course. One marker on each hole , white post with black painted top we think was 150 yard marker. Only other markers are painted lines on cart path. Won't be a must play but nice for a change of pace, with a good golfnow rate.

Commented on 04/04/2016

Thanks for the honest review! We know the weather affected how the course plays a little bit, so we'd love to have you back when the weather has been more consistent. We think you'd have an even better visit! Regardless, thanks for stopping by.

"Needs work"

Golffool1113's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The course is average overall. We play there several times every year and never sure what it's going to be like. Greens are usually ok. Fairways are sometimes sparse. The sand traps are the worst in the area. They said a few years ago that the traps were going to be filled in. They did two or three and then quit. The rack rate is not worth what you get in return. However when a good online price comes up it's pretty decent.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Plantation was merly that...not a well maitained golf course"

Lance4341097's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2014

Greens had powanna all thru them, no grass in fairways, all the traps had no sand and most were filled w/ water, even lost a ball in a trap because of three feet of water in it. Even though it was only $24, twight rate on Sat., I would rather spend $45 on a course that is maintained and more enjoyable to play!

"Good Value, Fun and Excellent Pace of Play"

tmc13706's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Average condition for early spring, yardage little longer than most from Senior tees. Still fun to play. I was able to play 18 holes in < 3 1/2 hrs. Good value

"A good day at Mill Quarter"

cmann3's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2014

I have played Mill Quarter 12 times since I started playing golf in May 2013. I'm yet to have a bad experience. I have used Mill Quarter to transition from the Driving Range to the Golf Course. I'm thinking about joining the club.

"Mill Quarter"

LynSlaughter's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in good shape considering the wet weather. Traps left a lot to be desired with red sand and packed. Overall, was worth the cost through golf now.

"millquarter"

Courtney1990's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2014

They had just punched the greens on the front nine and there was 1/2 inch of sand covering them. The back nine was closed. Played front twice and had a 30 minute wait back on the first tee. There should have been prior notice of these conditions so it is the golfers can make a choice of whether to pay for golf under these conditions. Should have been a note at checkout.

"Great Round"

Christophe2940389's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2014

Played on a Saturday at noon, was paired with another golfer that plays there a lot. Facilities are basic but the course is in excellent condition and challenging. Pin placements were fair and the greens fantastic! Will play again and recommend others try it out.

"NIce Course ..."

Donbdaone's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

It was January and I was able to play a round of Golf, what more could you ask for. It being winter the course was in pretty good shape. Fairways nice. Green good shape and roll okay. Again its winter and the course is in good shape. I will be back in the spring or Summer to truly see the course, but had a great time. I was able to get a great rate on Golf Now and Money well spent. GOLF NOW is the BEST ... I would recommend giving this course a go... You will not be disappointed. Oh, I should mention, the course is a lil tucked away, but worth the drive.

"Great Course"

ERichideas's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Great course. Always love playing out here. They kept it really nice all winter too.

"Good challenging course for the money"

Charles9687293's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2013

I found MQ to be a challenging yet open and forgiving course that allows you to use every club in your bag; particularly if you are a mid to high handicapper (i'm about a 14) and you are working on all facets of your game. It is not a pretentious course and all golfers are made to feel welcomed. The natural environment is a plus as well. Although not bad, I've seen the course conditions improve in the year I've been playing the course.

"Diamond"

JustaGOONER's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2013
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Great layout, lots of challenges. Par 3's are 170 plus from the whites.

"Easy course, Horribly dated & dirty facilities, rude staff"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2013

The lounge looks like it is under construction, yet thats where the only restrooms are? There are literally old unused soda machines just littering the lounge? A horder style golf club?

The course was a bit boring, and the staff were rude.

I was dying to play a game and this was the only course with tee times available that I hadn't already played... Won't make this mistake again.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"This course is in a little rough condition (fairways/sand traps)."

Holl0056's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2013

Nice layout but the fairways are very rough as is the sand traps. Lots of places with little grass and a very mixture of grass types. Tee boxes are rough as well but not as bad. Greens are just OK. Sand traps need work and in fact there was someone working on one when I played. Course has rolling hills on some fairways making for a nice flow to the green.

"Excellent course"

pjgard's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2013

The course was in great shape, staff friendly, greens were best in the area I've seen this year. Fairways and tee boxes in great shape.

Only down side was the Marshall asking us to pick up the pace on the 14th hole when the group behind us was never on the same hole as us at all. We played 18 in 3 hours, (two of us), so we were not slow. Kind of took some of the bloom off the good day otherwise.