Hanging Rock Golf Club

Year Built 1991
Architect Russell Breeden

Dress code Proper golf attire.

A fun golf course!!

A really fun golf course to play. The greens are in great shape!

Commented on 11/27/2020

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will make sure to inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Hanging Rock Golf Club!

Hanging Rock Nov 20, 2020

A beautiful sunny fall day in the upper 60's with excellent course conditions and spectacular Fall Scenery of the SW VA mountains.

Commented on 11/23/2020

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back again at Hanging Rock Golf Club!

Commented on 11/09/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Hanging Rock Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Illinois Advisor

Great Layout

This course is fun, interesting and definitely will test you. It’s hilly. The elevation changes are scenic and fun and all the par threes are pretty. The course has what I would call a local amen corner. I’m referring to holes 9 and 10. 9 is a par 3 downhill. There’s a wide creek you cant see from the tee so make sure you take enough club. You’ll be tempted to take less because of the downhill but I believe it plays long. #10 is straight uphill and it’s cart path only. Personally, I love the hole but it will challenge most senior players. The greens roll true. Only one thing bothered me and it has zero to do with the course. One of the home owners placed a huge political sign facing one of the greens. It looks to me like it’s on golf course property. What an eyesore! Golfers play to escape the grind of daily life and want tranquility on the courses we play. This kind of thing could hurt the course. These are tough times and nothing should be done to discourage players and possibly have them choose another place to play. Let’s support our local course and if you live on Hanging Rock, its success should be important to you.

Commented on 11/09/2020

Hi Liz, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Hanging Rock Golf Club.

Good day on the course.

Greens had been recently aerated. Just about healed and were pretty slick. Fairways looking good but bunkers were wet from recent rain. Challenging course that most golfers will enjoy.

Commented on 10/02/2020

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Hanging Rock Golf Club!

Must Play

Great layout. I can’t say much about the greens because they were aerated. Most were large. The teeing area was battered but for this time of the year most are everywhere. Cool layout, Mountain View’s and very interesting par 3s. Great elevations and a wonderful mix of holes. You’ll need every club. My only complaint, the rough is too high and too thick for recreational golfers. We are seniors and my husband and I enjoyed the break from the gray tees. We could reach most holes in regulation, if we avoided the rough, so three putt bogeys were common for us. It’s a beautiful course but I wish they’d cut and thin the rough. Go play it!

Commented on 09/16/2020

Hi Bj. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Hanging Rock Golf Club!

hanging rock

I am having issues with golf now and tee off . difficult to book at hanging rock . Prices have doubled since the takeover of tee off botetourt golf and swim club have doubled and the homestead courses are no deals at all. I was afraid of this when the merger was announced. . GN services have gone down hill since I became a VIP years ago. Up with the greed down with the service. Please have your sales dept. look at the price issues in the 24019 zip area . I would love to stay a VIP but greed is making it hard! thx.

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome your feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Hanging Rock Golf Club.

Hanging Rock

Back to Hanging Rock again for another round. I really like the course. They got a lot of rain over night but the course drains well. We only had a few holes of "Cart path only"
Great course. Played a little long today (because of last nights rain). This course has it all!

Commented on 08/06/2020

Hi, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Hanging Rock Golf Club.

Commented on 08/04/2020

Nice Public Course in the Roanoke Area

This is one of the better public courses in the area. Stay away from Ashley Plantation. You will love the course.

We had a group of 12 golfers who played here, Pete Dye River Course and Ashley Plantation. Almost all of us agreed this was by far the better of all the above courses. Yes, including Pete Dye. Pete Dye is hyped up. Nothing charming. Yes the clubhouse sits above 100 feet, but the roughs are brutal with dry patches.

Commented on 07/28/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us Deepak. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Hanging Rock Golf Club thanks you!

Hanging Rock

This course always plays well. Previously I hated it because I seemed to lose a heck-of-a lot of balls. Not so bad not.
Group in front of me and my buddy was a 4-some and they let us play through on the 3rd or 4th hole. I see that willingness a lot at this course.

Definitely recommend you play this course!

Commented on 07/28/2020

Hanging Rock

really hot today. close to 100 degrees but the course still played well.
enjoy it at least once.

Commented on 07/22/2020

Distraction

Great experience today at hanging rock. Staff was friendly and the starter (David) had everything flowing smoothly. Course in great shape. Forget about the panic-demic for a while.

Commented on 08/21/2020

Your feedback is important to us! Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Hanging Rock Golf Club.

Pace of play

Great golf course but it takes too long to play. Pace of play is the only negative but great layout.

Commented on 07/15/2020

Hello, Alex. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions and layout to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Hanging Rock Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Very clean and green.

The course is in great condition. Slow greens at the moment. Stay out of the rough. Brutal.

Commented on 07/15/2020

Commented on 07/10/2020

Hi, thank you for visiting us at Hanging Rock Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Hanging Rock

Played today in pretty hot and humid weather. Still the course was in excellent shape. Well worth your time and money to play this one.

Commented on 07/07/2020

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and positive rating. We're delighted to see how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Hanging Rock Golf Club!

Really great shape!

Greens firm and fast. Fairways excellent, never had a bad lie. Roughs were lush and tough. Best conditions I’ve experienced here. Pros and snack bar attendant were very attentive.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Hello, your feedback is very important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Hanging Rock Golf Club.

Great Course!

Very well maintained course and friendly staff. Love playing there.

Commented on 06/02/2020

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Slow Play

Same old story. Marshall’s to tee off but no one on the course for pace of play. Basically they need to get your money but your experience is not important. It’s always been this way so I shouldn’t expect change. Unfortunately not many other course options...so just have to take it.

Commented on 05/18/2020

Hello, Michael. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve and will use your comments as guidance for improvement. Thank you for playing Hanging Rock Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Salem, Virginia