South Riding Golfers' Club

South Riding Golf Club is nestled in the gentle hills of northern Virginia, enjoying a landscape of hardwood forests and grassy meadows. The course offers a variety of challenges but the fairways are wide and player-friendly and the greens can be tough in spots but overall they offer some room for error. The layout requires both strategy and skill, it is definitely not a golf course where you will be able to just "grip and rip it." The course pinpoints your weaknesses but it is still a fair test. South Riding Golf Club's eighth hole is memorable for its difficulty but it's an interesting hole sine there are many ways to play it. At 351 yards, the hole is a short but intimidating dogleg left that will tempt you to go over the trees. The fairway is generous but the saddle-shaped green is flanked with bunkers.
South Riding Golf Club
Championship 72 7148 yards 74.8 140
Tournament 72 6473 yards 71.6 132
Medal 72 6070 yards 69.8 126
Club 72 5720 yards 68.5 118
Club (W) 72 5720 yards 73.1 131
Forward (W) 72 5001 yards 69.0 117
Scorecard for South Riding Golfers Club
Championship M: 74.9/143 593 397 546 431 232 406 206 345 474 3630 523 199 404 426 206 569 404 354 433 3518 7148
Tournament M: 71.9/136 542 373 501 392 195 366 188 328 404 3289 494 153 370 375 189 524 376 308 395 3184 6473
Medal M: 70.0/132 542 373 460 346 153 366 142 328 371 3081 444 153 370 375 141 524 327 308 347 2989 6070
Club M: 68.6/127 W: 73.1/127 503 363 460 346 153 322 142 282 371 2942 444 129 329 332 141 472 327 257 347 2778 5720
Forward M: 65.1/121 W: 69.5/120 465 305 416 304 117 292 107 252 337 2595 381 108 279 269 135 445 301 183 305 2406 5001

Year Built 1997
Architect Dan Maples (1997) Wadsworth Golf Construction (1997)

First time playing here. Probably a little better than expected. Course condition was okay but I'll give them higher marks considering the type of summer it's been and all the recent rain; lots of places have struggled with condition. Nice layout for the most part. Rough was high and tough. fairways were decent and firm. Greens were soft and had good pace. Greens are bent and they were recovering from stress of summer heat and too much rain.

Overall, I enjoyed the round and would play there again.

In Terrible Condition - Go Elsewhere

I have not played at South Riding for years and was shocked at how bad the course condition is. Almost every tee box is mostly dirt with a few sprouts of crabgrass and half of the greens have large areas with no grass and bumps and holes everywhere. I don't know what happened but it is in worse condition than any course I have ever seen. I paid $46 because it was a special deal so I feel OK about it but if I had paid the normal $80 I would have been very angry. On the bright side, the people there were very, very nice and pace of play was good.

Commented On 08/30/2018

Travis,

Please contact us at jfulton@wingfieldproperties.com to let us know what we could have done better.

Great Layout, Average Conditions

Big fan of this course overall. Drawbacks: tee boxes were chewed up and greens weren’t in the best of shape. Other than that, I loved the layout, the grass driving range, and helpfulness of the staff. Not sure if I’d pay peak rate for a round here in today’s conditions, but would definitely play twilight/off peak. Will be back!

Fun to play

Very challenging course. In good shape after all the rain. Greens were tricky due to aeration

Commented On 08/30/2018

Thank you for playing and your review!

My Town, My Golf Club!

SRGC location is pretty good, 20 minutes from Dulles Airport & Fairfax and less than 45 minutes from DC. The course is slightly elevated (not flat) which makes more fun and challenging for everybody. If we play from the White & Blue Tees, the course is not terribly long. This course is easy to play for the beginner as well as decent golfers if they try to play more safe & smart than being aggressive. However if players are too aggressive from the tee box or for their approach shots, the course will penalize you. Beginner players like this course because course doesn’t have many out of bound areas (out of play) that means some of us can be aggressive sometimes when we need it.

Bar & Grill is pretty good – they have plenty of drinks & food selections. Apparel selection in the pro-shop is good now with plenty of new and seasonal items. The Club got all new carts couple of years ago – which has plenty of cup holders to other compartments along with the outlet to charge our phones which is sometimes convenient.

It has been raining like a monsoon season in 2018. When we have this kind of rain - on the one hand it makes course nice and all green. But on the other hand, sometimes because of continues rain & wet condition, it makes somewhat difficult to cut the grass and to maintain the course. But it seems the club has new & big tractor and I see them working hard mowing the grass whenever I am at the course. The club finished all sand traps with new sands. It may take a little while to settle, but they are already looking pretty good. For improvement, there are handful of small areas in the course that the club may need to look at it – but I believe they are already looking and planning to fix them. As we all know, we can see this kind of small maintenance work in most courses.

Putting greens are pretty good and driving range is not that bad. The pavilion and large scoreboard area in front right side of the clubhouse in sunset looks just beautiful. But there is nothing better in terms of the view – from the back porch right corner where we can see Hole # 1, 9, and 18 – Just Magnificent!!! Overall the course is looking better.

Just wanted to say thanks to Jon, Chad, Clare, Chris and Peter for Everything they do!

The Price is Right, and I highly recommend this course to everyone!

Ben Thapa

-----------

Note: I am a member at SRGC, I run & organize Friday Night League (FNL) here, and we live here in South Riding so obviously it is convenient for me. I wrote this not because I am a member, but this is how I feel about the course and the staff members.

Commented On 08/19/2018

Thank you for your review and support of the club Ben!

Good value for money

So as others have said, bunkers are being re-sanded. Play all bunkers as ground under repair and a free drop. Hopefully once this process is complete, the bunkers will be in good shape. Unfortunately my partners and I lost 1 or 2 balls in the new sand...really soft and so balls would plug and be very tough to find. Other than that, the course played fair. Considering the heat we have had lately, the fairways still had good coverage, and the greens still rolled quick. The greens were a little bumpy, but that is pretty common around this area. People need to learn to repair their pitch marks! Other than that, we had to wait out about 45 minutes for a storm to pass over, but once we were back out the course was damp but still playable. We had a good time all things considered. While we waited, we got a pitcher of beer for the 3 of us and it was unbelievably flat! They had just out a new keg in but that should not have been an excuse. I’m sure that was just a one-off thing but hopefully won’t happen again! Still a good value for playing on a Tuesday afternoon.

Commented On 07/26/2018

Thank you for your comments and rating! Please ask for Jon next time you're in to get a beer on the house!

nice layout

good layout, great staff, replacing bunker sand with new sand so the average score for that. greens are a good speed.

Commented On 07/26/2018

Thank you for your comments and rating!

Commented On 07/26/2018

Thank you for playing South Riding and we would certainly like to hear more about your experience - please email jfulton@wingfieldproperties.com

Not worth it

If you like playing courses that have dead, dry grass all over your greens and no sand in your bunkers, then play here. Otherwise, you're better off going somewhere else. The ratings on here are high, so not sure if they've gotten new management, but now this course is not worth it whatsoever.

They said it was going to take two months to completely redo the bunkers. Not sure what that means since there are giant piles of sand in the bunkers that have not been spread out with weeds growing in them. Greens have ball marks all over them which no one fixes.

They only have a couple Porta John's, and the holes do not have any plaques with yardage or anything. A couple of the yardages and hole layouts on the scorecard are wrong, so use a range finder.

I shot about my average, so not that sour about how I played, but there's so many better courses in the area.

Commented On 07/08/2018

Thank you for playing SR and we would appreciate the opportunity to make your next experience a 4 or 5 star one. Please email jfulton@wingfieldproperties.com. Thank you

Terrible Conditions

Played a Friday afternoon round and course is not worth the price. Weeds have grown through the traps and mounds of sands were just placed in traps with no attempt to spread them. Will not return to this course.

Sneaky tough

Great local track in terrific shape. Once they fix the bunkers,(all that rain washed them out) it'll be 5 stars for sure. Lots of undulating greens so be on the right tier to avoid a 3putt. Played today in 4 hours on a holiday which was better than expected. Ill be back

Commented On 07/08/2018

Thank you for your review! The bunkers will be finished in approximately two weeks and we look forward to seeing you again.

What happened?

I always thought this is one of the premiere courses in Northern Virginia. I played the course this past weekend I'm surprised at how it turned into a high end "muni". Let me list from the time I arrived.

1) Pro Shop - very bare. No sign of any partnerships with a major brand like Ping, Titleist, TM, etc. Most of the shirts on the rack are generic brand with the South Riding logo on it. Brand used by companies for swag. Most nice courses I've played in would have their logo on the more popular brands.

2) Snack Shop - Yeah, it's a snack shop you find in muni's like Twin Lakes and Herndon. Does not match with courses like Bull Run, Raspberry Falls, or even 1757.

3) Sand Traps - Not kept well. Grass/weeds are growing inside them. I saw one hole where they have mounds of new sand. How about the other 17 holes?

If it weren't for the friendly staff, I would not come back here. Actually, I will not be back until they fix the bunkers.

Too bad.

Commented On 07/08/2018

Thank you for your feedback and choosing to play SR.

1. We keep a very limited supply in the proshop because of competition with nearby big box stores. We can special order anything you'd like, but keeping a large stock is not in our plans in the near future.

2. Yes you are correct, our F&B operation is much smaller scale than some of the other courses in the area. We do make very good food, just limited menu.

3. They are being repaired and we've done a lot since the time you played.

We hope to see you later this summer for a better experience!

Nice course, horrible sand traps

South Riding is a nice and varied layout. However, the sand traps were atrocious. It appears that have not been touched in weeks with several feet high weeds in some traps. I will not be returning until the traps are one the same level as the remainder of the course.

Commented On 07/08/2018

Thank you for your feedback and we are about 1/2 way done renovating the bunkers. Should be a few more weeks and they will be great again!

Good conditions, fast greens, thick rough

Played on 6/10. It has been very rainy recently so it was cart path only. Course conditions were excellent. Greens were smooth and very fast. A few pin placements were very difficult given the green speeds. The fairways were nice and rough was thick and tough. Layout had a decent mix of straight holes, with well placed fairway bunkers, and doglegs to switch things up. Overall I would recommend getting out to South Riding for sure. I hope to be back soon.

Commented On 06/12/2018

Thank you for your review and feedback!

- Management

Great Course but....

No sand in the bunkers due to recent rains. No sign of them replacing the sand, but I guess you should avoid bunkers anyway. Would have rated the course higher if not for this. Actually lost a ball in a stagnant puddle in the fairway on a hole. This is not a bombers course and you will need to set yourself up off the tee. Overall, got a great deal and enjoyed playing the course.

Great Course for $50

I played this course on a Sunday morning because I got a super good deal from golfnow. It was well worth $55, don’t know that it would have been worth $80. The course layout is excellent and everything is incredibly well maintained, except for the sand traps— there was hardly any sand! (This is why it doesn’t get 5 stars.) Overall, I recommend and will definitely be back.

Commented On 06/12/2018

Thank you for your review and feedback! We are adding sand back to the bunkers later this month.

- Management

Nice place

Course in good shape- not on my regular rotation but I always have a good time here. Plenty of houses on the course but they never feel like they are in play.

Chantilly, Virginia