Red Wing Lake Golf Course

Scorecard for Red Wing Lake Golf Course
Black M: 73.9/129 382 505 400 208 428 406 400 230 583 3542 394 415 396 213 539 434 200 413 578 3582 7124
Blue M: 71.9/125 363 466 393 197 402 388 375 215 551 3350 366 381 368 176 505 406 164 386 551 3303 6653
White M: 69.3/115 W: 74.7/126 318 425 359 174 370 377 366 181 513 3083 334 366 334 161 468 371 151 348 517 3050 6133
Gold M: 66.5/109 W: 71.4/120 304 381 310 140 329 347 336 140 482 2769 322 341 319 146 439 339 130 316 480 2832 5601
Green W: 67.2/108 287 334 234 127 291 308 306 103 445 2435 261 248 293 101 376 310 109 278 430 2406 4841

Year Built 1962
Architect George Cobb (1971) Kevin Tucker (2005)

local

great course for new golfer. Great weather and fun

Great shape and new clubhouse renovations are beautiful

I haven't been to red wing since the clubhouse was renovated and I must say they did a great job,the new management company really does care what the golfer thinks and wants and that's nice to see.We had a slow group in front of us and they sent the pro out and he allowed us to play thru which made our round more enjoyable and the course was in great shape and the greens really fast,thanks for turning REd wing back into one of Va Beaches nicest courses.

Fun course

One of my favorites in the area . Very good greens fun open course.

Beautiful layout

I totally enjoyed my round here and will play here again soon.

get out before to cold.

The course is playing great...The green are rolling very nice and true...(don't read to much in the greens) put at the hole...The whole course is looking great and playing great.

11/12/2014 review

Played at 1220 in the afternoon. For the second week in November we had temps in the mid 70's, a slight wind and sunny skies.

The course was in good shape, the fairways were slow for us as well as the greens due to heavy rains the day before.

Fast little bumpy but honest and fast greens

At this time of the year the course was in good condition. The course has a relaxed atmosphere with a nice starter. Several doglegs force you to place the driver at the right spot. The mostly large greens were fasr, however litlle bumpy due to bad repair of ball marks from players. With the possibility to get a teetime at reduced price this course gives You much Bang for Your bucks!

ALWAYS slow play
Overpriced
Greens are pretty good shape

Pleasant Round of golf

Good condition for a muni. Fairly easy layout but interesting enough. Played in just over 4 hours on a Sunday morning.

Excellent greens

Have played this course many times and this was the best I have seen the greens. Great true roll. Of course I did score well, so I thought the entire day was fantastic. A bit of slow play, come on guys lets all pick up the pace!!!

Love this course

Great scenery. Challenging but fun. Course in good condition. Highly recommend.

Nice layout, average condition

This course has a fun layout and a variety of challenges, my main issue simply condition. I was there on a Saturday and the fairways had a fairly large amount of the tall stalks from crabgrass sticking up on most fairways. They has also recently aerated and sanded the greens. I had heard going in that their greens had always been a weak spot, but some reviews on the site said they were good now. They probably would have been fine without the thousands of tiny holes and sand, but who could tell.

Minor thing, but no beverage cart on a hot Saturday afternoon was disappointing.

Wonderful public course

This round the two of us really enjoyed at Red Wing for all the reasons answer above. We played in 4 hours, and didn't have any rednecks hitting into us which happends more often there then any other courses we play, and we are not slow play golfers.
If you can play without being hit into when finishing in 4 hours you to will have an enjoyable round. The greens are in fantastic condition and are true. I like playing Red Wing

Good Value

Played golf Monday, 8/11/14. Great course, not super difficult. Course in good condition, little dry, but green.

Redwing Lake Golf Course

This was the first time I had been to Redwing in a long time.The course was in very good shape and as were the practice areas. Pace of play was very good 18 holes in 3 and 1/2 hours with a stop at the club house at the turn. The course is well marked. An enjoyable day at the golf course.We were at twosome and we got paired up with a local who was quite helpful in sharing local knowledge.

Traditional and playable layout

I play Red Wing regularly. It's traditional layout through the wood of eastern Virginia. There are no houses on course so it feels old school in a good way. There's a reasonable amount of water, not a lot of sand traps, and the fronts of most greens are open so you can go right at them. There's a wide selection of tee boxes to vary the length and challenge. The fairways are good, but not lush and there's not a lot of rough. Often if your off the fairway, your in woods, usually with a shot out. It's playable for different skill levels. There's a good amount of wildlife and you'll see herons, egrets, osprey, bluebirds, and sometimes bald eagles that nest in the trees on the course. You'll also likely see F18's, the Navy base is near by. You may here gunfire from the base practice range next to the course so don't be surprised by the noises. It's the sound of freedom in this area. The course is a good value, especially during the week and for seniors.

Surprisingly well public course

This was the first time playing in Virginia Beach and the course was well maintained for a public course. It was raining quite a bit and there was very little puddling on the greens or fairways. Was still 90*. Generous fairways. Wide flat greens. Water hazards are avoidable with course management. Only problem was a marshal who was putting us on the clock when the problem was the group in front of us. This was an unnecessary commentary particularly when conditions were basically lift, clean and place.

Nice course, but ...

Beautiful course and it played well. Pace of play was decent. First day we played we were paired with 2 elder gentlemen that had prior experience with the course and we had a fabulous time. We decided to play the course again the following day and we were a bit offended by the starter that "felt it was not right that 2 women were paired up with 2 black men and he thought we should know that". This felt a bit racist and was really disturbing. Overall we really enjoyed the course and would recommend it, but would hope the course management might review their ethics policies with employees.

Great Day

Friendly staff and good conditions. Fairways are a little thin, but the course layout and good greens made up for it. Well worth the price.

Great 1st time experience

This was my first visit to this course. I found the course to be in relatively good shape. Fairways were wide and if you found yourself in trouble, it was usually an easy out. The greens, while rock hard, were true and fast. I will certainly return when I'm back in town. Staff was friendly as well.

Valid dates: Apr 13, 2019 - Apr 16, 2019
The Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Stay & Play includes a three night stay at Harrah’s Ak-Chin, two rounds of golf at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, and the ideal location to catch all of the long drive action during the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun!