Williamsburg National Golf Club - Jamestown Course

3.5195529412 3.5 stars from 5 (34)

• 3700 Centreville Rd, Williamsburg, Virginia 23188, James City County

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5105 yards 69.7 124

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions

Jxa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2018

u702001485's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

Long par 4s. Did not like the Jamestown course as much as the Yorktown.

Commented on 03/09/2018

Thank you for writing a review and playing the course. We do have 5 sets of tees to accommodate players of all skill levels. It was cold and wet on on March 7th which surely added to the length of the course.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and glad you enjoyed the Yorktown Course

"Best course"

AAustinhh's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

Best course in town nice greens and very nice staff. Food is also very good

"Course has been re-opened under new ownership."

Andrew8971184's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

The Jamestown course was closed all Summer for maintenance and renovations. The greens and fairways are in phenomanal shape. I love the layout of this course. New ownership has really made a difference. I look forward to playing this course again soon.

"Not great"

sbengler734's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This was the first time we played this course. We only paid $13 for the round, so I have no regrets and the fairways were fine although covered in leaves which granted is one of the joys of playing in the fall, but I think I lost a half dozen balls under the leaves. My problem with the course is mainly the greens which were horrible. Best to just take two shots and move on to the next hole. We also felt that the staff were unfriendly maybe even rude. Thankfully we paired up with a very nice couple that knew the course and we enjoyed our day.

Response from Williamsburg National Golf Club on 11/16/2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! Yes, unfortunately we suffered a blight that killed our greens earlier this year and we're still working to get them back into tip-top condition. We're so sorry that you found our staff to be rude and we will certainly look into that further. We hope you'll come out and play again when the greens have had a chance to recover.

"What Greens!!"

Lebyte's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

The Greens are the worst I've seen. Nothing but weeds and black dirt. Then for five holes a grounds guy is watering the green and we're on the fairway, now it's wet black dirt. A waste of time, money and effort.

Commented on 09/09/2016

We're sorry to hear you were so disappointed. We will continue to put in work to get the greens back to their ideal condition, and continue to see improvements. We hope you'll give us another shot in the future.

"Yorktown Course not in great shape."

Matthew5575443's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Had read mixed reviews before booking the Yorktown course and was cautiously optimistic. Played it, and felt compelled to weigh in for the first time with a course review. The Yorktown course played relatively easy....except for around the greens. Traps were not raked and weeds were prevalent on and around greens. All greens were in poor condition and most putts did not roll true due to bare spots and uneven grass/weeds. Won't play the course again in this condition.

Commented on 08/24/2016

Thank you for the feedback and player tip. We've been working the better part of this season to get the greens back from disease and damage. We'll continue to put in the work, and hope that you will give us another shot in the future.

"Surprised"

richburton98's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course many times while vacationing in Williamsburg and enjoyed it. However, I was surprised this time about how bad the greens were. They all seemed to have spots in them where there was no grass possibly due to some type of disease. My only other complaint is that there were no ball washers out on the course which I typically see at most courses. I certainly hope that they can fix the problem with the greens because it is a nice course otherwise.

Commented on 07/14/2016

First of all, we thank you for your past support. We have definitely had issues with the greens over the past season and it is a slow process to come back from. We're working hard to better conditions, and we hope you would continue you support in the future. Thank you for noting the positives, we appreciate your feedback.

"Greens need help"

Kankakee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016

The starter sent me to the Yorktown course. The greens were not in good shape to say the least. All the members and locals were on the other course. The pace was good but course needs help.

Commented on 07/14/2016

We are continuing to put in work to better the conditions. Thank your for your feedback, we hope you will give us another shot in the future.

"Poor course conditions"

Vincent7642267's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2016

Course not ready....quit after 4 holes. Weeds in fairways...couldn't tell fairway from rough. Greens patchy and bare.

layout has potential but course needs a lot of work.

Commented on 07/14/2016

We're sorry to hear you were disappointed in the course. It really is such a great layout and we know if you visited again you would see improvements as we're continuing to work on conditions. Thank you for the feedback.

"Not Worth The Price"

dinodelrosario's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2016

My 12-year old son and I played this course for the first time. The staff is very friendly and very accomodating. Based on the layout, its friendly enough for my son, who just started playing, but has some challenges for average golfer like myself. However, playing for $60 each, we kinda of expected a well maintained course. We were very dissappointed with the course condition. The fairways have weeds, burnt spots on the greens and unraked bunkers. A course that I thought would be crown jewel of Williamsburg turns out to be such dissapointment.

Commented on 07/14/2016

We're very sorry to hear that the course wasn't up to your standards. We've been putting in a lot of work on conditions and have been getting good feedback from frequent players on improvements. We hope you and your son would give us another chance in the future.

"Disappointed"

welchmagic's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Played this course some years ago and it was great. I don't usually play Jamestown when I'm Wmburg because it's too expensive. Got a good deal from GolfNow and took a friend for a round. I was very disappointed that the greens were in such terrible shape. They rolled ok but had big brown spots. To be fair, it rained the night before and we played in a light rain most of the round - no roll on the fairways. Was surprised to see the rest rooms uncleaned and in disrepair. Clover in the fairways - really? Sad see this course go unattended and so run down. That said we still had a good time!

Commented on 07/14/2016

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your round despite the course not meeting your expectations. We will take your feedback into consideration, and I can assure you that we are putting in the time to improve conditions. We hope you'll visit again to see improvements.

"Better than expected"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

My buddy wanted to play here, and I was quite skeptical, having read a number of reviews that panned it. But I am glad we decided to play it anyway. What I expected was something just above a dog track, given so many of the reviews. What I got was a nice layout, with the tees in excellent condition, the bermuda fairways very good, and the greens better than they looked. Some greens were fine, others had large numbers of brown spots - fungus I am guessing. But, despite the brown spots, they rolled smooth and even the brown spots were grass, not dirt. They held pretty well, and all in all, I had a very enjoyable round until a vicious thunderstorm rolled through and we had to skip the last few holes. I would definitely plan there again (I played Jamestown course. I cannot speak for the Yorktown course, but I would bet the story is similar).

Commented on 07/14/2016

We really appreciate you giving the course a try even after having read some poor reviews. And we REALLY appreciate you giving your feedback as to conditions. The conditions get better every day but there's always room for more improvement. Sorry to hear a storm ran you out! We sure hope you'll visit us in the future. Thanks again.

"Great course"

Danny8354991's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2016

A good course for your money

Commented on 07/14/2016

Thanks so much Danny -- we truly appreciate you positive review, and hope you'll be back again soon.

"Great Design"

George7004813's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2016

Very good layout but course is under maintained (e.g., traps, green had many brown spots, rough is what ever type of grass that wants to grow). Challenging holes and scenic. Good value for me since I got a GN Hot Deal. Would have been disappointed if I had to pay full fare.

Commented on 07/14/2016

Thank you for sharing your experience and including the positives. We're sorry that the maintenance was not up to your standards, but can assure you that we will continue to put in work to better conditions. We hope you'll visit again.

"Nice Layout"

JWHenry101's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Rough uncut, greens in poor shape (spotty and hard).

Commented on 07/14/2016

Thank you for the feedback. We're continuing to put in work to get the greens back up, but we're glad you enjoyed the layout. The conditions will continue to improve throughout the season, we hope you'll visit us again in the future.

"Much better options"

JandDadgolfers's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016

We played the Jamestown course on Saturday and the Yorktown Friday. Fairways are burned out, anything off the fairways is just weeds, tee boxes are awful, greens are just ok. So many better options in Williamsburg for the same or less money. We played as part of a pre-paid trip.

Commented on 06/24/2016

We appreciate you taking the time to give your feedback. We are working to better the conditions every day. We hope you'll give us another shot in the future.

"Needs some work"

Michael2894616's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2016

I've been playing this course for 18 years. During the last 3-4 years it has steadily gone downhill. Weeds and large patches of clover in the fairways, no sand in the traps, and bare spots on the greens. The course layout is wonderful but they need to put some money and TLC into this course.

Commented on 06/24/2016

Thank you for the review. We really do have a fantastic layout, but we're sorry to hear you were disappointed with the conditions. We are improving conditions daily and hope you'll give us another shot this season.

"Good Course"

AdamsGolfOS's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

This course is a good course to play if you want a nice relaxing day of golf.

Me and my father walked onto the course with relatively no trouble as they didn't seem too busy that day. The course itself was in great condition considering a tropical storm just hit the area the day before we played. The only problem with the course was the greens, some of them had bald patches filled with sand although they made sure the pin locations were away from the rough parts of the greens.

I would definitely recommend this course to recreational golfers, as this course has wide open greens with only a few bunkers that would get in your way.

Commented on 06/24/2016

Thank you AdamsGolfOS for taking the time to give a nice review. We have been working to better the greens, and continue to improve conditions daily. It's definitely a nice fun track, we hope to see you out again soon!

"Good"

Allan5321979's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

We played both courses the day we were there. We enjoyed the Yorktown more and found it more challenging.

This is a nice course that needs a little work. Bunkers were in need of some work. there were heavy rains the days before we visited and the bunkers were a bit chewed up.

The greens are largely unprotected and the bunkers that were there did not seem to come into play from the whites. The only bunker I found was on 18 (which lost me my round to my son...not the bunkers fault).

The greens are in need of some repair in places, but those places never came into play with the pin position on the day we were there (4).

I think the course was pretty easy compared to the Yorktown.

We will return to this club, but we will likely play the Yorktown first as we found it more challenging.

The staff was FANTASTIC and made what may have been an otherwise "ho-hum" day into a very nice experience.

Play the Jamestown if you want a more stress free round, if you like bunker play or having to actually think about your shots, play Yorktown.

Commented on 06/24/2016

Thank you Allan for the great feedback. We do usually hear that Jamestown is a little more open, a little more stress-free compared to Yorktown -- great feedback for golfers. We hold our staff to a high level of customer service, and are delighted to hear you had such a great experience! We hope you'll visit again soon.