Style Links
Elk Ridge Golf Course at Carson Hot Springs

Year Built 2006
Architect Russell Sheehan (2006)

Incredible Course with Incredible Views

First off, the greens had been aerated perhaps 7-10 days before I played. So they were still sandy and a bit bumpy, but they rolled surprisingly true 9 times out of 10. In another week, they should be fine.

BUT... with that said, the course was in excellent condition. And so dry for late September in Oregon!
The drainage is legendary, according to the staff, and I believe it after playing. It rained heavily the day before and yet it rolled almost like a summer course.

It's a beautiful course, an open semi-links style layout with relatively few water hazards. The greens range from medium to extremely large, and if you are a good lag putter you should score well. They undulate a lot but the breaks are very readable and straight putts roll straight (other than a couple aeration pachinkos).

There are a few tough bunkers here and there and a couple of water hazards (most dangerous on #9) but most of the trouble is avoidable with strategy or power. The fairways were short, almost too short for a "picker" like me who takes shallow or no divots. The rough was fair - you can hit out of it easily but it will definitely slow the roll on an errant drive (or second shot on a Par 5).

There are no "gimme" holes from the blue tees but every Par 4 is reachable in two by a golfer of even modest skill, every Par 5 comfortably reachable in 3. The ball does not carry in the colder, damp air that tends to congregate on the high plateau where the course is situated, so be prepared to have your clean drives go 10-20 yards shorter than you thought. You may have to take an extra club on your mid irons, and the Par 5s are not as easily reachable in 2 as the yardage markers imply.

All in all, this is by far my favorite course in Oregon or Washington, of the courses I've played. It's high marks are deserved. It's a hidden gem, that's almost empty in the afternoons despite spectacular conditions. I played 18 in 2 hours 20 minutes and then played another 9 (mainly screwing around with cut shots and weird punch shots and multiple balls, basically an unscored practice round) in about another hour.

It's also scoreable - I shot a 79 from the blues but a few more missed shots and that score could easily balloon. It's a course that "levels" the playing field across handicap groups.

Nice Course

Only 15 people in the tee sheet for the morning so I had the course. I’m surprised they don’t have any leagues but it is a resort after all. It’s a nice course but not a lot of elevation with any views of the river as was advertised so I didn’t take any photos.

Staff

A great day started in the pro shop with super friendly employee! Very nice guy! The golf course is in good shape & the greens have never been better. I definitely recommend this course to anyone visiting the Gorge!

Third time playing, really like the course. fairways were in great shape, greens roll true, but large and undulating. Surroundings are gorgeous in the gorge.

Best course along Columbia River

Lots of contour on all greens Fast but fair. Toughest putting course in Portland area.

Staff letdown.

Gone are the days of the customer is always right. Arrived today at 905 with a friend for a 940 tee. The one employee working the counter was on the phone and another was standing near by. Both said it would be a minute which ended up being 15 minutes. While waiting, we noticed the listed rate on the board was $48 and riding was + $15. We made our resv through Golfnow and it was $45 including cart per person. So when the employee was finally done with theong winded phone call, he barely apologizes for the long wait and then rings me up at the board listed rate. O advise him that I booked on GN and he says ok $45. Then asks if we were riding or walking. I told him GN says the cart is included and show him the confirmation which clearly showed it. His response is GN posted it wrong and its $15 per seat. I argue a little more which goes nowhere because he knows he has us by the short hairs. Its a long drive out there and for us to leave over $30 total difference would be a waste. I tell him that maybe they tell GN to fix it or put a sign up advising of the issue. His response, "thats our golf pro's job". Being that we drove the almost hour up there for my buddies bday I figured just let it go and get on the course and go. Mind you there were 2 or 4 other players on the course the WHOLE time we were there. Customer service at this course needs work and maybe if they treated golfers better or posted the right price they would get more players out there. Its a MAGNIFICENT track and could be absolutely a busy course, if they would just get their S%$# together. This is my 6th time out there and only twice did I get great service. I am just venting to vent because I know nothing will come from this and the course management will brush me off like the brush off their customers.

A Good Choice

I have a Christmas tradition of playing golf (weather permitting) and I made a good course choice. Just a scenic hours drive up to Carson, Wa you will find an excellent winter time (anytime) golf course-Elk Ridge. The course was in great shape for this time of year, balls were not plugging, greens were challenging , undulating and ran smooth. And they allowed the cart on the fairways!! That's how dry and playable this course was at the end of December. Can't recommend it enough. My compliments to the great work of the grounds crew at Elk Ridge.

Decent course. Play when windy!

Sunny November Sunday with famous Westerly Gorge wind.
Good - Almost deserted! Course in very nice condition considering. No tough rough, so you can spray 'em except near the occasional ponds. Great views.
Not so good - A bit remote from Portland. Few especially interesting holes. No yardage guidance except poles at 150 (and some were not). On an up/down course like the back 9 here, that was a problem for me.
Overall, I recommend. If there's s no wind, fairly easy I think. The wind makes it fun, though!

Very quiet course. 2 other players ahead of us , we played in 3 1/2 hours.

$36 for cart , beautiful course , great views too

Wish they could kill the massive amount of dandolins. I mean massive that are on the tee boxes and fairways

They mow them short but really 150,000 dandelions?? They sprayed the turf today but do they not use weed killer ?
They were building a new shed cart but could they spend $1000 to kill the dandelions ?

This place is beautiful and play it once or twice a year because of the price.

Awesome views, great condition. Great Golf!

Grand views of magnificent mountains, all holes! Challenging large greens, fair rough. Condition could not be better. Knowledgeable professional Nick made us feel immediately at home.; Kudos to Dan, their new greenskeeper. Kitchen prepares excellent quality meals all day. We'll always be back and highly recommend golfing in this unique location.

In a word - beautiful!

I love this course - it is a beautiful course with a wonderful open feel. It is well kept, well marked - the greens are fast and fun (but maybe need a little more maintenance?). The practice range is fine - but the range balls are terrible. Newer carts are very nice. Play moved right along. It is on my list to do again!!

Played as fast as the wind blew

Only saw one other group on the course all day and we flew around the course, almost literally with how hard the wind was blowing. Greens were huge and difficult but very nice and my only knock was all the clover everywhere. There were thousands of bee's with them all buzzing around you when you try to hit your shots. My wife is allergic so we had to keep moving her ball to an area where there was less clover which was not easy. Maybe spray some weed killer and get rid of it?? If nothing else at least in the fairways.

Back nine closed

At booking time the staff did not tell us the back nine was closed. Had to play the front twice. Love the course, did not enjoy not playing the back. Drove about 50 miles to play

Stevenson, Washington