2.2
1 reviews
1 reviews

Located less than an hour from Seattle in Lakewood, Oakbrook Golf Club is one of the area's hidden gems. Opened in 1966 as a private club, the course opened its doors to the public in 2012. The course is known for its smooth, firm, and fast greens. The 6,700-yard layout plays both narrow and long but it is player friendly enough to appeal to a wide range of skill levels. With hundreds of mature oak trees scattered throughout the course, accuracy is key. It's a course that rewards strategy rather than raw skill. One of Oakbrook Golf Club's toughest holes is the par-4 seventh, which you'll have to play from below since it's sloped steeply from top to bottom. The downhill shots and doglegs will put golfers of any skill level to the test.

Year Built 1966

Carts Yes - $17

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Washington (2016 #7)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2016 #4)

Could be so good but...

I'm a 7 handicap and I played yesterday and this golf course could be great except...

First the good: Greens are wonderful, lots of curves, smooth, perfect grass and just the right speed.

Fairways are generally nice, most holes are dogleg and set up for a nice challenge.

Driving range is a bit short and I think they are using low flight balls but it is fine.

Pace of play on a Sunday morning was very good.

The bad: The bunkers are terrible! They look like they haven't been maintained in months and with the Covid no rakes policy (which every golf course is doing and I totally understand) they are simply a mess. Every other golf course I play, has the maintenance staff rake/maintain the bunkers frequently so even though the golfers aren't able to rake them, at least at the start of the day, they are good. Some of the bunkers have very little sand them them and it is just hard packed dirt. It makes getting out of them cleanly extremely difficult. Flying the ball 50 yards over the green is the norm when you use a normal, golf sand swing

If you get in a bunker, especially on the back nine, you might as well use your putter and hope. I'm an excellent bunker player and was really at a loss. I can't imagine how a person who isn't comfortable in bunkers would feel. I know it added strokes to my round and that is very frustrating when everything else is really good.

For a golf course in this price range, having bunkers in this condition is embarrassing. It doesn't cost them anything to have a maintenance person rake them with a machine regularly to try and fluff them back up, and considering how many there are on the golf course, you are very likely to get in a bunker while playing your round.

I know this feels like a small thing, and some would say "Just don't get in the bunkers" but that isn't realistic and it is so easily corrected. This could be a gem in the south end, instead it is frustrating and score inflating experience.

Another course to close soon....

Apparently Ryan Moore will be making a ton of money when he sells this place to a developer for more housing development.

$49 walking 18? Hahahaha.

Obviously the prices have been jacked up to chase golfers away and have reason to sell to the developers. Nice work.

Pre Tournament Conditions...Ton of Houses

Got out in the morning with a buddy. Great time. It was a fun round. Biggest disappointment was all the Par 3's were the exact same length. Same club...Also if you don't like playing around houses. This is not the course for you. Was set up for an WAC tournament so greens were fast but fair.

Buyer beware!

DO NOT PURCHASE A TWILIGHT MEMBERSHIP! I purchased a twilight membership during the summer and I asked the gentleman signing me up if there was a contract involved like the Executive Membership, the employee told me no there is not and that I could cancel my membership at anytime. I asked this because I knew I would be going back to school in eastern WA and that I wouldn't be back until next summer. I've even came into the clubhouse and said that I will be canceling my membership at the end of September and if I could do it over the phone, again I got the same answer Yes I could. I went back to school and called to cancel and they said I was locked into a 1 year contract. They then proceeded to tell me that the employee who signed me up who has been there nearly 7 months never said such thing. If this was true I would have never signed up for my membership because I knew I wouldn't be living here 9 months out of the year. The website doesn't even say that there is a 1 year contract. If this is how oakbrook does business by swindling customers into contracts I would stay far away from them!

Great value!

Awesome course to pay full rate, country club conditions! Fast, true greens. Course in great shape and played in 4 hours.

Championship layout

Fast greens (stay below the hole). Bunkers need more sand; was like hitting off of hsrdpan.

Course is in good shape. Pace was a little slow but the course was busy, and we had a good time. Would recommend, and will be back!

Course is in Great Shape

1005 tee time with 4some walking on a Tuesday. Finished in short of 4 hrs. I played it last week and rough was US Open-like. But since they got it mowed down. Course was in great shape. Good walking course and a good challenge. You will need to be able to work the ball left and right around doglegs and some on course designed obstructions. Ball placement on several holes is critical to score well. Price was more than we usually pay but I had a free round coupon otherwise would not have paid $39 to walk. Thanks Columbia Hospitality for the inflated prices since you took over.

its okay

disapointed golfnow didnt tell me could only play back 9 twice as they were sanding front 9 greens. its an ok course, feels kinda crowded and it doesnt have a good flow, but, the trees are beautiful. fairways are beat up and not much sand in bunkers. hardpan

9a8207e3-0956-55bf-991c-b0480075ab31
Commented on 05/30/2018

Update.. I played the complete course on 5-27-18 and it was in wonderful shape. greens were fast and true and we got around on a Sunday in 4 hrs 10 minutes!

Gr8 day at Oak Brook GC

November golf in Washington is usually wet and soft, Veterans Day was 60* and dry. Course was in great shape for the rain we had just before. The course was punching the front nine fairways but cleaning right after. This course would be a jewel in the spring.
Enjoyed our time there,
Tom

NO marshel

Vary slow play no marshel to monator pace of play group in frount of ours 3 holes behind , we finealy pick up our dalls and whent around them .yes 3 holes dehind buy the 6th hole crazy!! Poor course management ,

9a8207e3-0956-55bf-991c-b0480075ab31
Commented on 04/04/2017

yes the staff there doesnt seem to care much about nothing

Really enjoyed the course. Great Greens!

I really enjoy this course. Played it last weekend & looked forward to get out again on it yesterday. Course is in good shape. Very good walking course.

Best greens around!

I've now played Oakbrook several times and each time the course has gotten better. Great layout of the course, it's challenging but fair. Pace of play is great, each time I've played, 4 hours or less for a round. The greens are some of the best around, firm and fast.

Best greens around

Oakbrook has come back extremely well since all the trees were remove about 18 months ago. Greens and fairways that did not receive any sun for 6 months of the year now get plenty and are in great shape. Right now, the hallmark of this course are the greens. I challenge anyone to find better greens on a public course anywhere in the area. In fact, it is unlikely one will find better greens on many private courses. Management if fully aware of the need to get rid of the many stumps left behind from the tree removal and are currently working to remove what is left between now and the end of the year. If you are looking to play some of the best greens in the area head on out to Oakbrook, you will not be disappointed.

ONE of the best green in Pacific North West!!!

I have played many courses around Tacoma and Seattle area this year but Oakbrook has the best green without any doubt!!!

Cannot believe this is Public!!

I have long known about Oakbrook, and was invited there many years ago by a member. I had know idea the course is now open to the public!! My round was fantastic as was the course! Very friendly staff, greens were the best of any course I have played this year, and the remodeled bar was a great place for us to enjoy some great food and drinks. The golf pro Jeff remembered our names from checking in before the round and talked to us after our round about our experience. Seriously thinking of joining the clubs' monthly membership program.

Outstanding Greens

These greens are some of the best I've played on any public golf course. The improvement from the last few years is unbelievable. The new staff is making this golf club a very friendly place to enjoy your day.

Love the pace of play and the greens!!!

I played Oakbrook last week with my wife and another couple. It was fairly busy and I was shocked that we got around in 4 hours and 10 minutes. The greens were amazing. My guess is they were close to 12 on the stimp and very smooth - fun to putt.
The renovations they did 18 months ago are starting to pay nice dividends.
If you looking for a great value - I highly recommend Oakbrook golf club. Might be the best public greens I've putted in the state.

University Place, Washington