A view of hole #5 at Branch River Country Club

The Golf Course at Branch River, located just west of Manitowoc, is an extension of the former Lakeside Country Club that was established in 1909. Branch River is an 18-hole course that sprawls across rolling, wooded hills. The fairways are lined with mature trees and the gently undulating terrain guarantees a few uneven lies. Strategically placed sand traps and water hazards will further test your accuracy. The vigorous golf course is a good test but it is not so formidable that beginners should be intimidated. The par-4 second hole offers one of the most interesting risk-reward situations on the course. Golfers who are feeling confident with their driver can try to hit it past the big tree hanging over the right side of the fairway, but those who are less confident can play to the 100-yard marker and use a short iron from there.

The Golf Course at Branch River

Swimming, Shooting, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

This Course Has Potential

I liked the course layout and the scenery around but the course was not in good condition. This course has potential to be absolutely amazing if they actually put some work into it. Lots of dead spots in the fairways, chunked up greens and grass looked like it hadn't been watered or cut in a while. Overall I like the course just needs some work.

Chased off the course by gnats

I’m hesitate to give bad reviews based on this because I’m not sure if this is the fault of the course or if it’s even something other people experienced but the gnats were so terrible I spent half my afternoon driving my cart in circles trying to lose the 100+ gnats that we’re swarming my head as I was trying to shoot. It’s a good thing no one else was out there because I would literally have to drive up to my shot (if i could find it in the uncut rough), pull my club out, and then right before I shot i had to drive as fast as in could in a 30 yard circle, stop back at my ball, hop of and quickly shoot before the swarm found me again. It was the worst experience of my mostly relaxing life. That being said I enjoyed the course for the most part. Some fun holes. Not the greatest conditions but I only paid $25 so I can’t complain.... but the gnats. The gnats were something I may never forget.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

(Good) Course is outstanding. Every green and fairway perfect. Entire course, beautiful. (Bad) At the turn, no sandwiches (Hot dogs, etc.) Girl gave me a menu, like we had time to sit down for meal, They are loosing a lot of money by not offering to go food. (Bad) The bugs were terrible.Bought spray, didn't do nothing.

Bugs

We always Enjoy this course, We've played it many times, BUT......the bugs today were so bad that we can’t recommend...had problems before with this, but not like today.....too bad, love the course, well kept...oh well

Buggy but nice!

Small annoying little black bugs! Bring bug spray or head net!

Buggy but nice

Really buggy course. The nats ended up being quite distracting. It is fairly well maintained, nice greens and a decent layout. Not that challenging but a fun track. The pace of play was great when we went and the staff was friendly. If you are in the area, it's worth the cost.

But for the gnats...

I really enjoyed this golf course. Course conditions were very good: fairways and greens were in great shape; bunkers were pretty good with healthy sand conditions. The layout was varied throughout, so you really feel like you're seeing something different with every hole. The topography of this part of the state isn't the most drastic, but The Golf Course at Branch River uses elevation change well throughout. The course is 6450 yards from the white tees, but the course seemed to play shorter due to the prevalence of elevated tee boxes. There are a few risk/reward holes with well-placed hazards giving you lay-up or carry decisions. I'm not the biggest hitter out there, so I tended to play "smart," but it didn't get to the point that the length of the course got away from me. In fact, I had opportunity to reach in regulation on every hole, including in 2 on a couple of the par 5s. This isn't always the case when a course starts to approach 6500 yards. Overall, I loved the course...
...except for one thing: the gnats. I went off before 7:00am on the hottest day of the year so far, so I guess it was a perfect storm. However, this was the worst problem I've ever had with bugs. I have a co-worker who used to work at the course and she said the gnats can be problematic due to the eponymous river that runs next to the course. I'm pretty tolerant of extreme conditions, so I endured; the father and his daughter in front of me were forced to abandon their round due to the gnats. Walking the course that morning would have been impossible due to the bugs.
If not for my experience with those bugs, I would definitely be back to Branch River. In fact, I will try the course at some point during the afternoon or maybe in the fall when cooler temps kill off the gnats. However, paying $48 was a little steep given the constant annoyance. I'd give the course 5 stars if it weren't for the bugs. It was really very nice.

Tough to want to go to another course

The setting and layout of this course is perfect, and it's nestled mainly surrounded by woods yet the fairways are wide enough for the average golfer. The greens are very true and the elevation difference throughout the course is perfect. Each time I am done with a round here I am wanting more. There's just something about it that it is difficult to put into words. Very enjoyable!

Great day

We had a Great time .The course was nice ,and the staff were great.

GREAT fairways and greens

1st time playing here, nothing but good to say, Just an awesome round, will definitely go back. The traps had actual sand in them love that.

slow play

First time playing this course and possibly the last as the pace was very slow. The guy in front of us was hitting two balls on every shot. When we turned the corner for the back nine, the staff in the office had just let another foursome go out in front of us. I went in the clubhouse to inform him of this and he did go and tell the foursome they would have to let us play through on the next hole, but he did have an attitude about it. Just a lot of sitting in the cart and waiting through all 18 holes....

Very nice course with vintage charm

I absolutely love this course. I love it because it is beautiful, and in GREAT condition! I also love the 70's feel to the club house. This use to be a private country club that went public 5 years ago.

I golfed a lot of the courses in northeast wi and this course ranks up at the top. Great layout with mature trees. Staff was awesome!! Highly recommend this course.

Nice

Straight forward layout with challenging approach the mostly elevated greens. Nice undulation on decent greens. Played in the fall so lots of leaves. Neon yellow balls show up nicely.

Golf in Wisconsin

Nicely designed course, more difficult then rating. Conditions were good. Good,driving range and practice area. Great value compared to other courses in area. Restaurant was good but not outstanding, very good service. Will play again if I am in the area.

Excellent course for varied abilities

My wife and I are happy when we break 100. We didn't this day (it was the first time we played here), but we really enjoyed the course. It has challenges for better golfers, but they were not overly daunting for us - that is the sign of a good design. You can tell this used to be a private club. It is in excellent shape and also interesting and scenic, with several holes that have ups and downs, elevated tees, etc. Staff was efficient and friendly. We definitely hope to play this again.

A hidden gem

This course is a hidden gem, fairways were green, firm but not dried out so you would get some roll out with your shots, the greens were soft and quick, I read a review that complained about the greens, there was true roll not hoping some different shades of green but this was a steal for the amount we paid in greens fees. The staff was very friendly and out going, Rachel I believe was in the bar area was super friendly and served us some quick food at the turn but pointed out the specials they were offering. Cart girls friendly and around quite often, the drinks and snacks did not break the bank buying a round. Replay rate was a great bargain, I will be back to play this course again.

Cato, Wisconsin