Foxglove/Pinecone at Resort at the Mountain, The

• 68010 East Fairway Avenue, Welches (Mt. Hood), OR 97067, Clackamas County
  • (503) 622-3151, (503) 622-3101
  • www.mthood-resort.com

Year built: 1981
Architect(s): John Harbottle III (2008)
Type: Resort

Caddies: No

Driving range: No
Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Traditional and 'proper' attire required for the golf course and all practice areas.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers thick rough narrow fairways   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"great fun"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

We play The Resort once or twice every year. This year the course was in very good shape. The greens were a tad slow but still rolled true. The best putting surfaces I've played on this year. Started on Thistle and it was great. Finished on Foxglove and it was much more crowded. We joined up with the twosome in front of us and played it as a foursome. The other guys played from the blues, we played the whites. Don't mean to be critical but if you play from the blues and you can't hit your drive past the whites, you shouldn't be playing from the blues...

"This is NOT a resort course."

heebiejeebies's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

I do not think they advertise as a resort course, but the Resort at the Mountain enjoys reciprocity with this course, so naturally I thought there would be more to it, especially for that price. We played on a Sunday, and it seemed like they had not mowed anything for 3 days or more. The greens were very slow. The fairways were almost too bumpy to ride the cart down. If you get off the fairways, the grass was like if you hadn't mowed your lawn in 2 weeks. The tee boxes were in awful shape...sometimes tough to find a spot where grass would not come between my club and the ball. They didn't even seed the divots. The sand was thick and heavy. On one of the nines, there were flags and huge holes for soccer balls on every hole! There are no muni courses in Spokane in nearly this bad of shape. Even the food at the turn (roast beef wrap) was incredibly bad. Locals even said they have let the place go. We would never return to play golf, but the resort was great. I rarely leave reviews, but I wish my wife and I would have known better before we took an anniversary golf trip. Jeez, for nearly the same price, the Salishan course was ten times better...what you might really expect for the money and a stay-and-play package at a resort. The owners need to get their act together.

"No Accountability!"

swhite393's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

This review is in regards to the Golf Course, and specifically the management and customer service for the golf course. The resort at the mountain has 3 9 hole courses with the foxglove course considered the "signature" 9 hole course. The pinecone course is generally considered the 2nd most favorable course with the Thistle course considered the lowermost of the three courses. It was pretty disappointing to schedule a tee time for the pinecone/foxglove courses only to find out 25% of the way through the foxglove course that a shotgun tournament had been scheduled and that I would have to leave. As I explained to the course ranger who was organizing the tournament I had booked that specific combination of courses and there must be be a mistake. Although I had a written confirmation of my tee time indicating I had booked the pinecone/foxglove courses the ranger had no Idea how to help. I returned to the pro shop as the players of the tournament added additional unpleasantness as they wanted me out of their immediate way. Upon arrival into the pro shop I provided the emailed tee time confirmation reflecting that I had indeed booked the pinecone/foxglove courses. The prop shop attendant, Bryce, could only say that there was some sort of mistake with no other relief. When I asked for a refund, as I was not able to play the courses that I had agreed to pay for, Bryce presented a credit for a future 9 holes. A credit is something that is typically given when acts of mother nature (IE bad weather) prohibit someone from finishing the round of golf. A credit is not something that should even be considered when the course has facilitated the mistake. I stated that I had driven nearly 1.5 hours from Portland and would not have done so without being able to play the signature pinecone course. Bryces' failure to do anything to make up for there error was infuriating. Having worked in the hospitality business its a pretty easy avenue to provide a free round of golf and/or a free meal at the resort restaurant when the business is in the wrong in order to make amends with the customer. Unfortunately, at least Bryce does not understand that nuance of proper customer service. As Bryce refused to refund my less than round of golf I have since had to open a dispute with my credit card company in hopes of some financial reprieve. Mistakes happen and nobody expects perfection but how you treat your customers after making mistakes is an integral part of any business and one that the Resort at the Mountain surely should take heed of.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 09/05/2017:

Hello Shane, thank you for reviewing our course, The Resort at the Mountain, in the Oregon area. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with both our staff and the course. We have notified our staff, and we would like to invite you back to our course to secure a tee time. Please reach out to the pro shop and ask for Bryce. Thank you for the feedback, and we hope to see you soon.

"Green recently plugged/terrible conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

The greens were in terrible shape following recent plugging. Plug holes not filled with sand made putting worthless.

Very disappointed that this was not noted during booking process, as made for a long frustrating day.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 06/12/2017:

Hi Greg, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and the three star rating. We regret to hear the course conditions were not to your liking. We will note the issues mentioned to our team in order to prevent this type of problem in the future. We will also make sure to advertise our course maintenance better to our golfers in order to clear any confusion that may arise. We hope to have you back again soon here at The Resort at the Mountain in Welches for an even better round. Thank you for your feedback and have a great day!

kchgolf19's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017

Not well maintained. We talked to some of the regulars and they say they've really let the course go down hill.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 06/07/2017:

Hello Kurt, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are sorry to hear about your subpar experience at our golf course. We’re normally known for our exceptional attention to detail, and we regret that we missed the mark. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to earn your business again.

"No course maintenance!"

sharonrobinson's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

This course has great potential but needs a lot of TLC. It appears like they are short of funds because it was in terrible shape! We won't be going back.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 05/30/2017:

Hello Sharon, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 05/31/2017

Hello Sharon, the previous response was not from The Resort. But we are, and we do apologize about our golf course during your most recent round. Our winter was tough, and it is still showing. We had over 9 feet of rain from Oct. '16 - April '17. This put us behind on the preparation of the course for the spring. We hope you come back, it has been a very unusual year but we are working around the clock to get it ready for your next visit.

"Not Ready for Prime Time"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017

I love playing at The Resort but it was a difficult winter and that's set back course maintenance. We had hoped the course would be ready for a holiday weekend but it wasn't. Foxglove wasn't even open yet. Plus the greens had just been plugged and sanded which was awful because The Resort's green are usually some of the best I play on. Several of the traps looked like they hadn't been touched since the last fall. The rough was U.S. Open length. Expect to get back there probably in the fall and I'm sure the course will be back to the pristine conditions I'm used to experiencing.

"Early play."

shypoke1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

Course still needs a couple of weeks to dry out. Standing water, very soft conditions off of fairways.

Cart path only for carts so made for a lot of walking. Lost two balls that just disappeared in soft ground.

On the good side, if you kept your ball in short fairway grass it played nicely. Greens were slow but in very good condition for this time of year.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 05/24/2017:

Hi Kenneth, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear the course conditions were not enjoyable during your round. We are currently monitoring conditions and making improvements where needed .We are happy to hear you enjoyed the greens conditions, pace of play, and value of your round! We thank you for stopping by The Resort at the Mountain and we hope to see you back soon when conditions have dried out for a much better round. Have a great day!

"Wear your rubber boots!"

ppiazza1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

It's almost unfair to rate this course in it's present state. The ground is over saturated keeping the carts on cart paths only making for a lot of walking. Had we known the conditions we would never have booked a round. Both had mud encased shoes, legs covered with grass clippings and my waterproof shoes failed the test. It's so wet they haven't been able to cut the rough which is 6-8 inches deep. Staying in the fairway was a must.

Response from The Resort at the Mountain on 05/05/2017:

Hello Phil, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Great variety for a little course"

Ryanplays33's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

Best to play this course in the dryer season. . A lot of plug balls and sloppy fairways. The layout was great can't wait to go back this summer. The clubhouse and deli look amazing but we didn't have time to enjoy them.

"Love this place!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course was in remarkable condition considering all the rain we have had of late. Got lucky and had 2 warm sunny days before I played so the course had a chance to dry out. Greens were much faster than you would expect and in great shape. I always love coming up to play this course.

"The course was stillvery wet, so we could not ride to our balls."

AlanSlavich's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I want to play it again when it is not so wet. Liked the layout, but would like to see it again when it is dry.

"Very nice experience"

dave4351's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Wonderful day, great playing partner and a very nice course.

"Best course I play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played all 3 nines at The Resort. There's a terrific online deal that give you all 3 nines plus buys you breakfast. A good friend and I have been doing it once or twice a year for 3-4 years now. Just a beautiful course in excellent condition. Fairways are tight and firm and the greens have a perfect speed and the ball runs true. Had a great breakfast and then a fine lunch/dinner after 27 holes of good challenging golf. The "middle" nine was slow but the other two rounds were like having the course to ourselves.

"Glorious"

shawnbrock's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2016

I love this gem,I have played this course for50 years

Commented on 07/25/2016

Thank you for the 5 Star review! We have loved having you on our course for the past 50 years and look forward to having you back for the next!

"Beautiful Course"

JellyPee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016

Very secluded course. It's like you're one with nature! The staff was friendly and always willing to answer any questions you have. Course layout was fairly easy but the views were spectacular. Condition was great. Firm fairways and receptive greens made for an enjoyable round of golf.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for your 5 Star review! We are pleased to hear your time spent with us was enjoyable. We would love to have you back in the future for another round!

"Road trip"

gth4golf's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016

Not a resort golfer, but was in neighborhood and never played this track. Hard to find. Checking was ok, nothing outstanding or enticing me to have a great time. Played Foxglove & Thistle. Little soggy fairways, but might be in anticipation of hot day? Greens were very nice but slow for my liking. Again they were probably anticipating a hot day? Do have say they were smooth.. It's a fun course for my girl friend . But didn't excite me. I'd still come back just to play a relax ing round w/partner.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad to hear you will be back and we look forward to seeing you soon!

"The course is nicely laid out in a beautiful mountain and scenic setting."

Walter3591189's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Good value for the money. Beautiful backdrop for playing golf on a well maintained track.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for the kind review, Walter! We are glad you enjoyed not only our course, but also the views. Hope to see you soon!

"Great golf course in amazing setting"

jbecker67's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The three nine hole courses at The Resort at the Mountain are each a unique golf experience. The fairways and tee boxes are in excellent condition. The greens were receptive, but still very fast and true. The staff is friendly and helpful. Overall a great experience and well worth the 45-60 minutes drive from Portland.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for your 5 Star rating! We are happy to hear that you found our courses to be worth your commute and we hope you decide to come back and play again when you are in the area!

"The course was beautiful and in top shape..."

robbycurtis's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016

The staff was great, the food was awesome on the turn. I loved how fast the greens were.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Happy to hear it! Thank you for your kind review, Robby. We would love to see you again for another round.