Woodlands at Lawsonia Golf Course

GPS: Yes

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate Golf Attire is required at all times, no cut off shorts, tank tops or gym shorts. Collared shirts are required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

There are two 18-hole courses available at Lawsonia Golf Course in Green Lake, the Woodlands and the Links. As their names would suggest, the courses have a completely different character from the other. Unlike the wide-open, nearly treeless Links, the Woodlands is enclosed by forests of mature hardwoods. The stands of oak, maple, pine, elm, and walnut trees carry not only the course's beauty but they also provide a home to an abundance of wildlife including whitetail deer, hawks, eagles, and wild turkeys. The fairways are densely lined with trees and are made even tighter thanks to the help of 80 strategically placed traps. The layout is considered a modern target golf course with dramatic elevation changes and large, fast greens that are heavily guarded. The second hole is memorable for the historic landmark that serves as its centerpiece. This par 4 plays around a 90-year-old quarry donned with the historic Judson Tower.

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks

"Worth It"

THADMOLLING's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017

Laswonia is a great golf course. I play it a few times a year with a friend who is a member so we usually play all day and get in 54 holes. We play both courses (Links and Woodlands). Two completely different courses but both are top notch. Greens are to die for on either course. Awesome staff. Just do it and enjoy!

"This place could be so nice."

xtrasm00th's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

So, I played both courses at Lawsonia the same weekend for the past three years and they are really amazing from a design perspective. However, it appears that they are making investment decisions that are affecting the playability of these golf courses. The bunkers at Lawsonia are inconsistent, some are ok, others have no sand at all, some only have weeds growing in them. The Links traps are better than the Woodlands. I asked one of the dudes working around the place what the deal was? He intimated that the owners of this place, he called them the Baptists, choose not to invest in sand. Now I know renovating bunkers is a pricey task, but these golf courses demand a pricey fee to play them. Look guys, if you aren't sand buyers then get some grass seed and make them grass bunkers. Otherwise, right now these courses are in good shape, they're mowing, which is a good thing and the greens are all good! To tie this up in a neat little bow, I can see how this place gets so highly rated, but am frustrated that every year the bunkers are the same, not top 100 quality.

"Golf Courses of Lawsonia (Woodlands)"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

The Good: Lawsonia's sister course to the Links is no slouch, with one of the prettiest layouts in all of central Wisconsin. The Woodlands is appropriately named, with huge trees all over but enough room off the tee to navigate fairly. Fantastic foursome of Par 3's, excellent variety in Par 4's, and some of the most challenging Par 5's that you will ever play. Good fairway and rough conditions, along with smallish, tough greens that putt true. Fantastic, friendly staff will do all they can to make your experience memorable. Clubhouse duals as a rustic restaurant and bar that has some great local grub and flair. Great value, especially when you take advantage of the All-Day-Play package.

The Bad: The sand trap conditions were absolutely an embarrassment for such a high caliber course. Many traps were even considered ground under repair. Limited practice facility with only average putting green and driving range that is uphill with no targets. No GPS and limited on-course amenities.

The Verdict: The Woodlands course is a Top 10 layout in Wisconsin but with only adequate conditioning. Despite the sand woes, a blast to play and great companion to the better known Links course.

Best Hole: Most will side with one of the downhill Par 3's or tough Par 5's, but for me the best hole was the dogleg right Par 4 #5 with great views of Green Lake in the distance and several beautiful lake homes behind the green. Awesome!

"Woodlands over Links"

RavensGolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Having played both on back-to-back days, I'd vote Woodlands the better of the two courses at Lawsonia.

True to its name, the course largely winds through the woods with some water in play. While holes 2 and 3 get the attention due to the land they are on (#2 has a 2nd shot carry over an old quarry and #3 is a par 3 with a shear drop downhill), I thought the par 5 7th was the best designed hole on the course, using a mix of doglegs, well placed pond you have to consider on your drive and excellent bunkering for both the 2nd and approach shots.

While the fairways and greens are quite good, fair warning that the bunkers are generally in horrible condition, with several of them marked as ground under repair and other deserving off the same treatment.

Putting the bunkers aside, the Woodlands is a great place to play though a bit overpriced for the area (even with the range finder on the cart).

"The underappreciated play at Lawsonia"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

Coming into my round, I had low expectations of the Woodlands, a course I knew nothing about. The strength of the main course (the Links) makes the Woodlands almost an afterthought, but that shouldn't be the case. It's a nice track, one that's thoroughly enjoyable to play. The only knock was the bunkers were in poor shape.

There are no bad holes, and quite a few good ones, especially all the downhill par 3s. Many of the holes are tree-lined, although they're not narrow enough to feel claustrophobic. There aren't many 36-hole facilities in the Midwest with a contrast as good as Lawsonia.

"Hidden gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2016

I have been playing the Lawsonia golf courses for about 10 years. Typically I played them 2 - 3 times a year. Last year I got a tee time on the woodlands and thought I would try it out as the links has always been my default course.

The woodlands is an extremely under rated course. People shy away from it as they think it is extremely narrow but it is very playable. I would describe it as a shot makers course and some of the holes have breathtaking views. It is a hidden gem and has become one of my favorite courses to play.

Just like the Links, this course is hampered by pace of play. The lack of course marshalls really hurts this course. I can get around in just over 3 hours for 2 people in the morning. During peak time this becomes 5.5 hours. Note that this 18 is riding only so it makes the waits even seem longer.

Response from Lawsonia Tee Times on 11/22/2016:

Thanks so much for playing the courses at Lawsonia! Great tips for our newer golfers! Come back and see us again soon.

"Terrific course! Easily among the best I've ever played!"

smits00's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2016

Awesome course! Only issue was a twosome that decided they could jump ahead of our twosome and then hold us up on every hole!

Response from Lawsonia Tee Times on 11/22/2016:

We regret to hear you had a small hiccup with the group playing next to you. We are happy to hear you loved the course! Try us again soon!

"Not what i thought"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

First, the guy checking us in was very rude and the set the tone for this course. didnt explain anything or where to go or even say thank you. Just a very rude welcome and not worth the time and money. def. not coming back

Response from Lawsonia Tee Times on 11/22/2016:

Thank you for leaving your feedback and review on Lawsonia Golf Course, it is important to us. We regret to hear that your round was not as enjoyable as it could have been due to the complication you may have experienced at check-in. We assure you it is our utmost priority to provide a pleasant and golfer-oriented experience for every one of our golfers. This is not a typical day at Lawsonia and we urge you to come back and let us know while you're here what we can do to make it the best golfing day possible for you and your group - we want you to leave with a smile from ear to ear and we do look forward to serving you. We will inform our staff and address the matter.

"Glad we came back"

gmjaguar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

A few weeks ago we played Lawsonia woodlands, and were not treated very nice in the pro shop. (We could not tee off sooner then our appointed tee time, with the tee box wide open).I 'm happy to say this time we treated with much more respect.

I would like to thank the management for the change. The course was in very nice condition. The greens were healing nicely from the recent aeration. One of our favorite. courses. THANK YOU.

Response from Lawsonia Tee Times on 11/22/2016:

Thank you for giving us another shot! We're so happy to hear you loved the course and your experience was pleasant!

"First Time....very enjoyable"

HOTSPOTTS's avatar
Illinois Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

After tackling the Links course in the morning we experienced the Woodlands course.....they had aerated the greens a week previous (I believe on 9/12) and had aerated the tee boxes earlier in the day we played. This is a very enjoyable somewhat tight wooded routing providing a real nice different look from the Links course morning round. Course was very playable but the greens were pretty sketchy from the recent aeration. Sand traps on this course also inconsistent. Nice views of Green Lake and a really nice pretty routing. Greens do have a lot of slope and look forward to visiting Lawsonia again when the greens are in good shape.....as I'll like to play this with better putting conditions. 3.9 stars....all due to greens/tees/trap condition the day we played......but a very enjoyable first time making me want to go back.

Commented on 09/26/2016

So glad you loved your first time here at the course, we can't wait to see you again!

"Beautiful and Challenging"

br1582's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played both the Woodlands and Links on 9/19. They had aerated greens the week before and we're plugging the tee boxes, but were up front about it and played the course anyway. Beautiful views, challenging layout - we literally had the place to ourselves. Others' comments about the sand are accurate - I chose to pitch out of the mostly hard packed traps. But just beautiful and at $100 for all the golf we could play it was a great day.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Awesome to hear! We can't wait to see you back. Glad you saw good value playing here!

"Top 100 golf course?"

xtrasm00th's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016

This course has a fantastic layout and flows nicely with many elevation changes. Shot values fantastic. The greens were well maintained and rolled nicely. But sand traps still need attention. They need sand and it's apparent they only get raked every now and again. The range was closed because the pickers broken. I think $50 is about what you should pay here. This course is in better shape of the two courses.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Good to hear you loved the layout and we will let our staff and crews know about the sand traps thanks for looking out!

"Don't get there early"

gmjaguar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We got to the course about 30 minutes early, (Mike) in the pro shop said because we used Golf Now we could not tee off till our tee time. There was nobody on the tee box for over 30 minutes or more. He also said if we pay the normal rate we could then tee off early. I realize that Golf Now states the tee time is only good at the booked time, but we have never had this kind of treatment any place before. He made it clear that he did not like the great deal we got from Golf Now.

Whenever we use Golf Now we try to have a few drinks and food at the course, but in this case we just went elsewhere. Love the course.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Thanks for playing here, we regret to hear there was some complications upon checking in at the course. We will let our staff know and ensure your next round is enjoyable as can be. Come back and see us!

"Just as good if not better than the Links"

dahlryan's avatar
Chicago-Milwaukee Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Buddy and I played both on one day. Woodlands were our 2nd 18 and it left a great taste in our mouth. Course is well designed and cuts nicely through the woods. Its also great to go to courses where both golf courses are exactly the same in green speed, fairways and rough length. Par 3rd is a really cool hole. Love playing par 3s that dont have to be long but are still challenging. This course and the whole complex does a great job of having great golf at a good price and its not hoity toity. Its a nice relaxing place with great golf. Well done.

Commented on 09/27/2016

Thanks so much for playing at our course, we're happy to hear you enjoyed the layout and had a great round!

"Beautiful Course"

tyzak2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

A great challenging course, Worth the Drive !!!

Commented on 09/27/2016

Thanks for making the drive out! We can't wait to see you again!

"outstanding"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Terrific course in great shape and fantastic setting.

Commented on 07/25/2016

We're glad to hear you enjoyed it! Thanks for the 5 Star review. Come play with us again soon!

"Vpete"

vercouteren's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2016

Beautiful course, well designed, requires distance and direction control. Only negative is that the traps were not raked.

Commented on 07/25/2016

Thank you for the 5 Star review! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on the course again soon!

"Has Been Better!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016

As one who has played this course many times this is the worst condition I have ever seen it in. Sand Traps? More like parking lots as they were rock hard and unplayable. The Water Hazards were more like pools of Green Smelly Slime. The biggest complaint I heard from others we encountered during the day was a lack of beverage carts on the course. With temps in the upper 80s one would think there would be more than one beverage cart out for two courses. We did not see one until we hit our 16th tee.

This course use to be the jewel of the area, but no longer shines as bright!

Commented on 07/25/2016

Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry you have found our course to be in bad condition and we appreciate you letting us know our problem areas. We will address these situations internally. In the meantime, we hope you will give us a second chance in the future!

"Not Up to Par with the Links"

GolferMan94's avatar
Age:  Under 25

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2016

Found a great deal on GolfNow to save this from being a total disaster. While the track was promising, the lack of care shown to this course is amazing compared to the links course. The bunkers were basically gravel pits and for the sake of my clubs decided to just drop out of them. Really disappointing considering how well kept the links course is. Greens were also in very bad shape. I love the links course but will most likely never play the Woodlands again after how poor of condition it was in during peak season, especially compared to the links.

Commented on 07/25/2016

Thanks for your review and feedback. We will take it into consideration as we are constantly working toward improving the conditions of our course. We hope you change your mind and decide to give us another chance in the future.

"Great Day"

ervzz2012's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent well-cared for course.

Commented on 07/06/2016

Thanks for the 5 Star review! We're happy to have satisfied you with the conditions of our course. Come back soon!