Style Links

Lawsonia Golf Course boasts two championship 18-hole courses, the Links and the Woodlands. These two contrasting designs both offer a challenging round amongst historic landmarks and abundant wildlife. The Links Course will make you feel as though you've been transported to the British Isles. Many of the holes replicate famous Scottish and English golf holes, giving it a character that is reminiscent of the golf courses played in the British Open. In order to mimic the open feel of a traditional links course, trees were removed and contours were shaped and molded into the landscape. Just like any links course, the layout is especially tough if the wind is blowing hard. The golf course covers a range of elevation changes providing rolling fairways and multi-tiered, often elevated, greens. More than 90 bunkers are strategically placed throughout, and there is also deep rough to contend with.

The Golf Courses of Lawsonia - Links

Year Built 1930
Greens Blue Grass

Golf Simulator Yes

Dress code Appropriate Golf Attire is required at all times, no cut off shorts, tank tops or gym shorts. Collared shirts are required.

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

Virginia Advisor

A Unique Midwestern Golf Experience For Less

Playing the Links at Lawsonia can ellicit all sorts of reactions. For some, it can be a spiritual golf awakening. For others, it can feel like a tricked up plot of prairie land. For me, it was just exceptional golf at an exceptional value.

The theme of Lawsonia is the bunkering and accompanied raised greens. And much like a Star Wars film you either love it and want more (and get more) of it or you don't. Unlike the sci-fi movies, it may take you a few holes to decide which side of the deep, oblong sand trap and steep-sided greens your opinion falls.

The "Boxcar" hole is many golfers' favorite, the par-3 7th with the steepest bank I've ever climbed up to a green. My other favorites were the roley-poley par-5 13th and the beautifully sculpted par-4 17th. I wasn't a huge fan of the blind tee shots right off the bat on #1 and #2, but it's a minor critique to an otherwise awesome layout. There's a great variety of holes and shots to play and the course will keep you entertained round after round.

I played the course as part of a 16-player group and the staff handled our event with friendliness and professionalism. They even extended us an invitation to play as much as we could in the waning light of the evening in a 10-player super-scramble. It was perhaps the highlight of our entire 4-day trip to Wisconsin!

For those looking for a unique golf experience but not wanting to break the bank, look no further than Lawsonia. It will not disappoint!

Absolutely phenomenal

I played here for the first time and was blown away. Best course I have ever played. I already want to take the 6 hour drive one way just to play again.

Course was packed so I was already expecting a long round, but it was moving which was really nice. The starter is really nice and helpful and lets you know all the lines for a lot of the holes. The signature hole 7 par 3 with the train box car buried beneath the green is a hole unlike any other.

Get out there and hit em strait!

Great Design..Fun to Play

guys trip 2020...16 former college players all ranging in handicap from +4 to 5.6....and nobody had one negative thing to say about this track...unbelievable design characteristics, fun yet challenging holes...good shots get rewarded plain and simple. Definite MUST PLAY

need more help

Got there over an hour early to hit balls on the range. Range had no grass and you couldn't see past 50 yards over the hill. Club house bathroom was unusable, place was a mess and both toilets plugged. We had 3-some all driving carts and they stuck a walker with us. First two holes you couldn't see where your drive was going. Some sand traps had sand in them, Some where like hitting off concrete. Cart paths all torn up. Rough hard as rock and not long enough. Not a links course, most greens elevated. Needs some TLC.

One of the Best in WI

The Links course at Lawsonia is one of the absolute best courses in the entire state of WI and can be played for a cost that makes it an absolute steal . The routing is phenomenal and difficult, but it is still playable for all skill levels. Regardless of season, the course is always in great shape. I always make a point to play out here several times every year as it never gets old for me. I've introduced several people to Lawsonia for the first time and the look on their faces playing the back nine never gets old.

Plays Twice a year

Green lake alum

Beautiful course, unique and challenging, always love to play here.

One of Americas Greatest Golf Courses!

Lawsonia Links is truly one of the great golf courses in the United States. It was designed in 1930 by the legendary architectural pairing of William Langford and Theodore Moreau. Langford and Moreau believed in "maximalism" -- in other words, this is a BIG golf course. Fairways are wide, greens are roller coasters, bunkers are 10-15 feet deep, cross bunkers in fairways, blind tee shots, knee high fescue rough, big ups and downs. Very few trees. The seventh green (par 3) has such a steep bank that Langford and Moreau needed to bury a railcar underneath to support it (the scariest 8 iron you'll ever hit on a hole without water...don't go right!). Even though its under 7,000 yards, this is a course for big, strong, power players. Slow swing speed players might never get their ball out of the greenside bunkers! Or reach some of the par 3's (for example, #4 is 200+ yards straight uphill; #10 is 240 yards!).

With that said, the course is tough but fair. Conditioning, especially the greens, was at private course level. Near perfection. If you missed a putt... your fault, not the green.

They allow walking, but its not an easy walk. No shade and some steep hills to climb.

Some negatives... clubhouse isn't much to speak of, but totally adequate. Driving range balls were surprisingly old and in bad shape (lots of cracked balls in my bucket).

And here's the best part... the cost. I paid <$70 walking for a world class golf course in mid-summer. They could definitely get $150 out of me and it would still be worth it.

Great family golf on a beautiful day

Always good to play golf with my relatives. The course was in great shape and it was a beautiful day. The pace of play was a little slow, but it didn’t matter.. Got a great rate on golf now, thanks!

Must Play

Pace Of Play - Excellent. Did not wait on a single hole.

Course Conditions - Excellent. Course in perfect shape

Staff Friendliness - Golf Course 5 stars. Excellent bev cart service. My beer was never empty or warm.
The restaurant staff was average at best.

Value For The Money -
It's a fabulous golf experience, but not cheap.

Course Layout - Absolute masterpiece.
Play here and you will be seeking other Langford courses, but this will spoil you as it is there best public course, bar none !

Off-Course Amenities - Nice deck, modest clubhouse.
Locker room and shower facilities, nice extra.

Links

I couldn’t believe it! Thursday late afternoon (4:00pm) and the place was packed. Overall it’s the kind of place every better than average player should try! Honestly it was the first time my friend and I have played it. The young man in the golf shop didn’t have Time for us and we were 30 minutes early. We hit a small bucket of balls and went to the putting green waiting for my name to be called, because they made it quite clear no one goes off until being called! After ten minutes past our tee time we went to the 1st tee box and the starter left after sending the group in front of us off. Lucky for us a member (Doug) was nice enough to let us play with him. The sand traps are the worst maintained I’ve ever seen! They were concrete (I’ve never seen anything like it). When we mentioned it to Doug, he mentioned they haven’t done anything to them ALL year, like running a drag through them once. To me that’s fine for a waste bunker, but a green side trap, ridiculous! The greens are very challenging for the first time playing. I have played over 30 courses this year and believe this lets you know exactly how good you are! Overall I would recommend this course but believe for the price they get, they need to put at least a little time into the sand! Lotsa courses in the area that are so much better maintained for half the price of Lawsonia. Sorry for the lengthy review, but feel a course should be complimented on what’s right and future players should know the negatives as well.

Total failure to manage pace of play

I am surprised to find that the links course at Lawsonia was ranked number 64 on the golf digest top 100 public courses in United States. While the course is nice and well-maintained, it isn’t particularly unique or appealing. Maybe that is why it is no longer on the top 100 list. By comparison, the Hawkshead course in South Haven Michigan, which is a links course, should be ranked well above the Lawsonia links course. And Hawkshead is not even rated in the top 100.

The bunkers were less than optimal too. They have stones in them, and many were hard packed and ungroomed . We were told that a major amateur tournament had been played just a week before. Presumably the course was in peak condition for that tournament. If these were peak conditions, I wouldn’t want to play it in less-than-peak conditions.

We played on a Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, they had allowed a group of five on the course. That group’s pace of play was appalling. There were three holes open in front of them, and we were waiting on every tee box on the back 9 because of them. On one par five we had four groups on one hole. At that point we decided to skip two holes and move over to number 15. Had we not skipped 13 & 14 we wouldn’t have finished anyway before dark. And we would’ve missed the last two holes. So better to sacrifice two holes in the middle and finish before it got dark.

That is just poor management. It’s all about the revenues.

What a Nice Fun Course

Played the all day rate, once from regular tees and once from senior tees. A unique fun experience with few trees to annoy you.

Just relax, hit the ball, and enjoy the honest roll. That's true for both fairways and greens.

I will go back.

Iowa Advisor

A Classic

Lawsonia Links has been increasing in popularity on golf social media over the last couple of years. Given that it's less than 4 hours from me, I had to go play it. I wasn't disappointed. In fact, Lawsonia Links may just be the best course I've ever played!

Everywhere you look on the Links course, you're greeted with incredible vistas that turn into challening golf holes as you move up and down and around the property. The view of the back 9 at sunset is one of the greatest vistas I've seen in my life.

The layout of the links is challenging yet very fair. If you get out of position, you still have a chance to make par, or even birdie, but only if you hit a great shot for your next one. In my opinion, this makes golf more fun. Who doesn't love attempting a good recovery shot?

The bunkering is incredible. I can't remember any bunker where there isn't a large grass mound in front of you. The picture I shared of hole #5 gives some idea of the bunkering. I found the fairway bunkers to be particularly penal, so you have to strategize around them.

The green complexes are huge and require positioning to get the ball on the correct plateau. If you're in the wrong spot on a green you will need a great putt to get down in 2. The pace of the greens was fair and the roll was very true.

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite hole because I liked them all. I think the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th are in competition for the top spot though. There really isn't a bad hole on the property. Each is memorable for something!

I can't recommend Lawsonia Links highly enough. For me, I could play it every day for the rest of my life and never get bored. It's such a great golf course!

Private/Resort