Inniscrone Golf Club

• 15 Athelone Way, Avondale, Pennsylvania 19311, Chester County
  • www.inniscronegolfclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Gil Hanse (1998)
Type: Public
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/15

Carts: Yes - included in green fee

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Inniscrone Golf Club in Avondale is one of the toughest public courses in the area. It is a formidable challenge to say the least, but an enjoyable one. None of the holes run parallel to each other and no two holes are alike either. The greens have quite a bit of variation from one to the next but mostly they are very large and extremely fast. Although the greens only have mild contouring, the rippling landscape still provides plenty of challenges throughout. Strategically placed bunkers perfectly complement the dramatic elevation changes, ranging from pot bunkers to vast expanses of sand. Inniscrone Golf Club's ninth hole is a memorable one since it encapsulates the course's appeal with a ridge of cross-bunkers just off the tee and even more along the left side.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining

"Great Value"

Garyjohnson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2018

This Gil Hanse designed course is a treasure. The layout is challenging with varied holes. I knew all this because I have played the course many times. But what impressed me today, was the course condition. In spite of the dry conditions we have been experiencing, the course was not at all burned out. The greens keeping staff is doing a great job.

"Always in good shape"

andrewcipolla's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

Haven’t played Inniscrone in a couple years. Glad to see it is still in above average shape. Always worth playing, especially when you get a deal on GolfNow. I recommend everyone come out to Avondale and play this track at least once a year.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 07/11/2018:

Hi, Andrew. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"Worth the Drive!"

dano266's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

Beautifully maintained course with lots of challenges, but also some forgiving holes to help you out. Great staff from the cart attendant to the pro shop. We will definitely play this course again, even though it's a half hour drive away, it's worth every mile. The only negative was that there was no beverage cart, and for 100 F temps on the Fourth, that would have been greatly appreciated!

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 07/11/2018:

Hello. Thank you for your 4-star rating and review, and we appreciate your feedback. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"Some interesting layout, but nice"

Stephen3175662's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2018

My first time playing this course and it was a deal! Most holes had a nice layout, but definitely some holes that were a bit strange. Pace of play was pretty good mid week. I would try it again

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 07/11/2018:

Hi, Stephen. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We're glad you enjoyed your round, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

"Worth the drive"

golfphil's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2018

If I lived close, I’d get a membership. Layout is fantastic, and condition was very good. It’s easy to see that the course was meant to be private. They softened up a few holes but the course stays difficult from the back tees.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/29/2018:

Hello, Phil. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the course conditions, and we hope you will book another round with us soon.

"Excellent Golf Course"

dfratrik's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

2nd time I have played this course, but it was a couple years ago when I played for the first time. The Golf Course is in excellent condition and will challenge you in every way possible. I enjoyed my round and I will be going back to play this course again. The Staff was very helpful and very nice.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/29/2018:

Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

"Great course"

249brandon's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

The staff was awesome course was awesome can’t wait to go back!!!!

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/29/2018:

Hello, Brandon. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're glad you enjoyed the course. Please come back soon!

"Charging for water is belligerent"

stedga's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

Course is in good shape, hard and fast with those stupid holes that make you think Gil Hanse gave up on this place before he finished it, but the grounds crew have done an impeccable job of maintaining the place and greens roll fast and true. Don’t bite off more than you can chew by thinking the distance totals on the scorecard mean you can move back a tee, you can’t, this course will make you pay if you. I do have one gripe though. Charging players for water out on the course is a belligerent underhanded dirty nickel & diming practice that is unbetting a course of this quality, especially in the June heat.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/29/2018:

Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we're glad that you enjoyed your tee time. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

denboo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/29/2018:

Hi. Thank you so much for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon.

Brad6810820's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

First time I played this course. Wanted to get something early on Saturday and I had a 715 tee time. Of course pace was good at this time. It is a middle of the road course. Very hilly so you get some tough lies above and below your feet but that can be challenging and fun once in a while. Course was it good shape staff was ok.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello, Brad. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello, Brian. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Dj0947's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2018

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello, DJ. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

skipzulick's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello, Skip. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

"Inniscrone Review"

whlthomas's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2018

Inniscrone is one of Gil Hanse's first solo designs (Google Gil). Inniscrone opened as a private club but is now opperates as a daily fee. Classic, minimalist strategic design inspired by achitects of the "golden age" (pre 1930). Rugged bunkering and challenging putting surfaces. Some holes play short to small targets, others play long and wide. One or two holes need a "do over" but I suspect environmental restrictions/budgets led to these design interruptions. Inniscrone boasts new carts and refreshed management. Course conditions, while green, are not up to par with the shot values. For the money, it's hard to find a better track for those who embrace a challenge.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"Great Overall Value (Minor Issues)"

joecoffeyiii's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2018

Grabbed the 7:30AM tee time with my buddy and were paired up with a husband and wife (told the course was booked). The couple ended up being awesome and we had a great time.

Let's get the negatives out of the way. First, they put TWO two somes off behind us. We also had a twosome put out in front of us. As a foursome we were on the 3rd tee and the twosome was putting on the 3rd green and we kept that pace for the entire front 9. By 10 tee we run in for some beverages and the first twosome behind us is waiting. Meanwhile the two some in front of us is still on the 10th gree. We played the front 9 in under two hours and have this issue. By 12 tee the first twosome behind us just skips a hole, only to run in to the two some in front of us. By 13 green the other two some behind us does the same thing and what do they have to do? Wait on 14 tee for the other two twosomes. At this point I said something to the second twosome and they replied, "we are just a twosome." I told them that I could count and then our foursome proceeded to wait on 3 twosomes from 14 until we had some issues on 17 and were able to play 18 in peace.

That right there is a management issue and a prime example of what happens when you do not hold people to a tee time and just allow the group to hit their first tee shot immediately after the group hits their approach on #1. It was pitiful and we played in under four hours. We walked off of 18 at 11:15am only to be frustrated by the problems from 14-17.

Now onto the positives. #1 they have brand new carts and they are equipped with USB ports on both the driver and passenger side. That is HUGE! Very pleased, but they are kind of hidden and we did not notice until the 9th tee.

Course was in decent shape, they did not mow the greens on a Friday morning which was really frustrating. They were slow and not like how I remember Inniscrone from the early 2000's.

The beverage selection was pretty solid and they gave us a mini cooler loaded with ice.

For $35.99 I do not think you can beat the value, but I'm sure pace of play is an issue if you are not one of the very first groups off.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/15/2018:

Hello, Joe. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We are glad that you enjoyed your tee time despite the issues you described, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

"if you like a tough course"

bradco's avatar
Pennsylvania Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Inniscrone challenges all parts of your game. The course starts off with short finesse holes and holes 6-9 requires real power. The rough was brutally tough and high on this day due to all the rain we've had. Driving the ball accurately is the biggest key on this course. If you do not hit it straight you'll have a very difficult round. For the value there is no better in the area than Inniscrone. Wish people would treat it better and repair their ball marks. Just because you don't pay premium prices to play here does not mean its not worthy of keeping it pristine like it should be.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/05/2018:

Hello, Brad. We appreciate your 4-star rating and your great review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I think they don''t like golf now hot deal customer?

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/05/2018:

We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was less than desirable, but we hope you join us for another round soon.

"Tuff track"

Jersey91's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018

Nice course very challenging layout, very slow play probably because of the difficulty

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/05/2018:

Hello. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review, and we're glad you enjoyed the challenge. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"What happened"

Kevin5287596's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

Course was not in usual condition, that I was used to seeing it in tee boxes and greens and rough could use some work.. what happened!!

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 06/05/2018:

Hi, Kevin. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 05/18/2018:

Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.