Inniscrone Golf Club

• 15 Athelone Way, Avondale, Pennsylvania 19311, Chester County
  • www.inniscronegolfclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Gil Hanse (1998)
Type: Public
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/15

Carts: Yes - included in green fee

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining

"Great First Round of The Year"

Garyjohnson's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Anytime you can play golf during February in Pennsylvania is great, especially this winter! The Inniscrone course drains pretty well, which is why I chose to play there this week. Even with all the rain we had during February, I was not disappointed. The staff is dedicated to making the experience at Inniscrone as pleasant as possible. Jesse and the rest of the staff are always appreciative of having you come out and play.

"Challenging layout"

summersem's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Good shape, will be much better in the Spring. No two holes the same, rolling hills.Use every club.

"Excellent condition even in winter"

ai3416335's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

The golf course is well maintained and staff are helpful and supportive. A hidden gem of PA

Response from @InniscroneGC on 02/09/2018:

Thanks for taking the time to review us 5-stars! We are glad you had a memorable and enjoyable experience. See you again soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2017

Response from @InniscroneGC on 12/08/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. 4-stars is great, and we will let the team know their hard work is paying off. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Inniscrone Golf Club.

"Course is in poor condition"

Dj0947's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/02/2017

I've read some of the 4 and 5 star reviews and can only say OMG! They did not play the same course i played. Back 9 is poorly designed esp. holes 10, 16 and 17. Trees need to be removed. The fairways on 10 and 18 are always so wet that the ball plugs do to the pond leaking. Maintenance is poor, as the bunkers have not been touched in weeks, tee boxes need repair, the trees are over growing the tee boxes. This used to be a very well conditioned and maintained course...needs TLC from ownership.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from @ChicopeeWoodsGC on 02/01/2018:

Hi, DJ. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. As you mentioned, we receive consistent feedback with 4 and 5 star reviews. Your comments come as a surprise to the entire team. We work hard every day to keep the course up to par and are struggling to see why you would rate us 1-star if you visited recently. While difficult, the course is an enjoyable challenge to most. Perhaps you will visit again and give us a second chance. We will use your review to make changes where appropriate.

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2017

Response from @InniscroneGC on 12/04/2017:

Thanks for the great review! We are so glad to see you had a spectacular time during your visit. We hope to see you again soon!

coletti112's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2017

Derek2604651's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2017

Got a great deal with my golfnow coupons and it was a beautiful day in November! Greeted at the car with a golf cart and was told the course was busy because of the nice weather so had to pair up with another twosome on the first tee

Guys were great though and we all had a great round! Definitely a tough layout on some holes and I shoot around 90 but I liked it! Course was a little wet, which I can see happening a lot so avoid it after rain, otherwise you can't beat it for the price

Just go to have fun, some holes that can lead to a good score and others that demand good balls, overall fantastic

Response from @InniscroneGC on 11/07/2017:

Hi, Derek. Let us first start by thanking you for the great review. This is the experience we strive to provide. We partner with GolfNow because we believe in offering our golfers the best opportunities in golf, whether that be with our website or our partner’s. We are glad you enjoyed the team and were greeted upon arrival. It is always nice to hear when a golfer has a good experience start to finish. Thank you for playing Inniscrone Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon.

"Forget the back nine"

Duffer109's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2017

Have played this course several times this year, as the greens fees are always attractive and it's close in proximity to where I live. The staff is generally friendly and the course is usually well maintained. Regarding the course conditions, the greens often play slower and spongier than most other public courses, so there are many foot prints and indentations. The fairways and rough are nice and play fair.

Most importantly, I've found the front nine is always a good experience; it's design is straighr forward, open on several holes, and it's not quirky. However, the back 9 is just the opposite. At the end of each round, i pause to think that the back nine keeps me from wanting to ever return again. If you're a first timer to this course, you will leave very frustrated, epecislly with holes 10, 16, and 17. These are very poorly designed; frankly, 3 of the worst holes found in a 50 mile radius on any public course. Just beware, the back nine can quickly turn a good front nine performance to a terrible overall finish.

Response from @InniscroneGC on 11/01/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. 2-star feedback is something we take very seriously. While the only area it sounds like you didn't enjoy was the layout, we see you rated the value and staff to be just alright during your visit. These, along with your layout feedback, will be used for future updates. Ideally, we can earn a 3 or 4-star review on your next visit. Thanks for visiting Inniscrone Golf Club, we hope to see you again in the future.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2017

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/31/2017:

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 4-stars. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions, value, and staff to be excellent during your round. Thanks for playing Inniscrone Golf Club.

Bleffet's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2017

Response from @InniscroneGC on 11/01/2017:

"Private Club Feel at a Crazy Good Price Point"

jscalici's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I've wanted to play Inniscrone for a while simply because I heard it was moderately priced and best of all a Gil Hanse design. IMO this is a course you can't miss. Sure its a bit out of the way if you're coming from Philly or SJ but honestly the design (with a few exceptions) is a can't miss. When you get to Inniscrone you'll be met by wonderful staff and a warm-up area literally off the back porch of the clubhouse. From there the fun begins. The two nines at Inniscrone are vastly different but with similar design ideas. The front is more wide open and offers better chances to score. Gentle par 4s open the round, most interestingly the drivable downhill par 4 3rd. Other highlights on the front include a fun little chipshot-downhill-nearly-blind par 3 and the gettable par 5 7th where the green is guarded by a huge mound (this mounding is all over the course). The 9th hole, a long par 4 with a shoot off the tee, is probably the toughest on the front. I did feel like that shoot needed to be widened at least a little. In it's current for the only tee shot that works is a completely straight one and with the holes overall length and blind approach it essentially becomes a half par hole. On the back at Inniscrone, Hanse really ups the creativity. The tenth is a fun little par 4 with a long iron tee shot and a huge washed out waste area on the approach. The 11th was my favorite par 3 on the course, a total visual illusion where the hole seems as narrow as can be with all the width hidden. The back 9 requires more shot making and more precision, I would also say more than one round is needed to fully understand how to score on a few of the more quirky holes. 13, 17, and 18 come to mind as holes where mid to high handicappers will struggle. All ask for forced carries and two leave mid to long approaches through narrow areas. My favorite and least favorite holes happened to be back to back, 16 and 17. 16 is one of the coolest par 4s I've ever played. A tee shot to a split fairway with a massive ridge/elevation change running through the middle, trouble on both sides. The approach (like so many is blind) but the tricky par is what level the green sits on. The left/lower fairway is at the green's level but is tougher to get at off the tee while the right fairway is well above the green and leaves a brutal shot to a green running away from the player. On the other hand the 17th is a nearly impossible par 4 (it's essentially a hole you're supposed to bogey). A tough tee shot will leave you nearly 200 (depending on tees) to a green guarded by a slope on the right and trouble left.

In the end Hanse did a wonderful job carving this track into the land. In many ways it reminds me of older courses I've played around Philly. Hanse clearly looked at the land and worked the holes into it instead of forcing the things. At the same the juxtaposition between the style of play on the front and the back can be jarring to say the least. Overall my experience at Inniscrone was awesome and I can't wait to visit again.

Response from @InniscroneGC on 11/01/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us 5-stars! We are going to pass on your feedback to our team, so they know their hard work is not going unnoticed. It is great to hear that the efforts Hanse put in helped provided a memorable and enjoyable experience for you that is proving to be timeless. Thank you for playing Inniscrone Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Expected Much More"

cwimer62's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

Played it this morning and you might have thought it rained for the last week because the course was soaked. It hasn't rained in this area in over a week but you'd never know it. The tee boxes were mediocre at best. The greens were inconsistent. Finding balls in the rough was very difficult. I'm a better than average golfer but I'm telling you that anyone with a handicap over 12 will really struggle. Holes 10, 16 and 17 need to be blown up and the down hill par 3 of 100 yards is a joke. Way too many other better options in the area.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/26/2017:

Hello, Mr. Wimer. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. Your feedback on the course conditions after our recent rain is important to us. We will escalate those, and your comments about the greens to the teams in charge. We are glad to see you rate the pace of play to be excellent during your game. We will use your feedback to work towards a better experience. Thanks for playing Inniscrone Golf Club.

"Good pace"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

Good pace, tee box’s need some work. Playing from blues made the course shorter not many driver holes.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/18/2017:

We appreciate the 4-star review. Your feedback will be used to notify our team so they can continue to provide an enjoyable experience but also make changes to hopefully earn 5-stars next time. Thanks for playing with us!

"Interesting track. Very slow play"

sbevilac's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

We enjoyed playing here but it was so slow. There was one group holding everyone up. I mentioned it to the guy in the pro shop at the turn but it didn’t mentioned. At least two groups gave up and quit.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/17/2017:

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions and value to be great during your game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Inniscrone Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon.

"Good Course but Quirky Back Nine"

ddotson2's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I'll recommend Inniscrone but only if you're willing to accept blind shots and stupid holes on the back nine.

The conditions, staff, and pace of play have been good the two times I've played here. The big problem I have is the back nine. Holes 10, 12, 13, and 16 have blind shots and 16 is probably the poorest-designed hole I've ever played. Just my opinion, but the layout of the back nine is very poor and causes unnecessary frustration.

If you're willing to accept a hilly, quirky course, then Inniscrone is a good option. Not worth traveling a long way when there are better options around.

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/16/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Inniscrone Golf Club, we hope to see you again in the future.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Inniscrone Golf Club on 10/16/2017:

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4-stars! We are interested in learning what we can do to earn 5-stars after your next visit. You are welcome to comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Inniscrone Golf Club.