Lake Mills Golf Course

2.1

Lake Mills Golf Club first opened in 1927, making it one of the area's oldest courses. The original nine-hole course was shaped and molded from gently rolling farmland. The course eventually expanded to a full 18 holes and has undergone other major renovations since it first opened though it still retains the same traditional character as the original course. At just over 6,700 yards from the tips, the course has several holes that will please long hitters. The occasional water hazard comes into play as well as several strategically placed bunkers. Mature trees also line the fairways, demanding accuracy. Lake Mills Golf Club has a fair amount of challenges in store but beginners should still feel confident about approaching it, especially with four different sets of tees available.
Lake Mills Golf Club
Scorecard for Lake Mills
Blue M: 72.9/127 447 389 436 181 565 333 179 320 530 3380 360 608 219 567 412 361 449 184 361 3521 6901
White M: 70.3/122 427 367 374 152 521 323 165 309 520 3158 348 580 164 506 359 354 388 151 351 3201 6359
Gold M: 68.6/119 412 357 352 142 450 287 133 297 480 2910 332 559 155 497 348 347 370 138 333 3079 5989
Red W: 69.5/116 387 298 318 101 431 287 125 252 418 2617 298 481 112 396 291 301 267 117 261 2524 5141

Year Built 1927
Golf Season March - November weather pending.

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Master Card, and Discover are excepted

Terrible staff

The staff was incredibly rude and unaccomodating. Will never go back even if it's free. Would not recommend to anyone

Badly maintained, rock solid greens and very uneven fairways with a lot of holes

Beautiful layout

Excellent all around course greens are almost perfect. Have fun!

Great shape and cheap price

Great course, with little traffic, and at an excellent price! Doesn't get better than that!

Great course and value!

This is definitely one of my favorite courses around! It is an older course, with lots of mature trees and it has some nice challenges to it. The owners who took over several years ago have made some great improvements to it every year, and it is noticeable! One unique aspect is that the course does run through a neighborhood, which is unique for me. The houses are beautiful though, so it makes it kind of fun. You do have to watch for the next tee signs, but it is well marked if you pay attention.

Great course!

This course is pretty and offers a lot of different scenery. I love the rolling hills and mature trees of the first few holes, then there is more of a prairie like setting on some of the back holes. Really nice to look at! The course also weaves in and out of a newer neighborhood, so there are some really beautiful houses to look at as well. If you are a first timer here, just look out for the signs to lead you to the next tee, as you sometimes cross streets in the neighborhood.

This is a really pretty and well-maintained course that I would recommend to anyone.

Potential but...

I would have been disappointed had we paid full price...but can't complain too much for the "hot deal" 7:00 am tee time.

The course layout & holes themselves are pretty nice & challenging...but the condition left something to be desired. As wet as this spring early summer has been...greens were hard & dry for the most part. And between two of us I believe we lost at least a half dozen balls that we watched roll off the fairways into the rough...so much clover. Another oddity I thought was how close the houses are to a number of holes. Some of the houses are just on top of the holes/fairways and a couple got hit in our round...and not awful shots...but just a bit pulled or sliced and "bang!"

May try again sometime...but it'd be due to not having anything else available & would have to be another "hot deal" of this site.

Could be great

This course has a lot of potential, but unfortunately was not well maintained. No golf pro was to be found, and a bartender was managing the pro shop. The dining area and bar looked remodeled and very nice, although we didn't stay after our round. This will probably be the only time I play here, as there are so many other good courses in the area.

HOLE IN ONE!

I am excited to say I got my very first ever HOLE IN ONE on the 4th hole par 3 at Lake Mills on July 20th during our round we booked through Golf Now. We never would have made the extra drive out there if we didn't get that great deal, but I love that course so it was worth it. I used to work there too and have come close on that hole before but never saw anything like it! As a 46yr old female non professional golfer with horrible arthritis on top of it, this was the most exciting thing that's happened to me in years! i didn't get to celebrate however because I had to get my partner to an urgent care before it closed for a torn muscle/tendon. But I'm rejoicing every day! And thank Golf Now and my Callaway ball for making it possible! :) Thank you again!!

Course layout

Could not find 9th tee. Saw a sign tor 10tee but no sign leading you to 9th tee. Very confusing, ended up on 18th tee & decided to play 18th seeing as we only planned on 9 holes. A sign directing you to 9th would be helpful.

Nice prairie feel

I was pleasantly surprised at how well maintained and nice this course is. Very green and lay of the land. Liked a lot!

Worst golfing experience ever

The course is not as good as it had been in previous years and honestly the only reason I played this course was due to the prepaid 'hot deal' on golfnow (18 riding for $13 per person) otherwise my friends and I would not have made the trip to Lake Mills for a round of golf. Our tee time was booked for 3:30 in the afternoon and the bar was scheduled to close shortly after we started playing which seemed odd. As a result there was also no beverage cart going around at all during our round nor were we able to get more beverages after we finished the front 9.

Most of the holes were in poor shape in general, some with rock hard sand in the bunkers and some former 'bunkers' that look like grass and weeds were just allowed to start growing in them which make them not appealing to look at or play from. The newest construction and houses are also a lot closer to the course than in previous years which can make it difficult to play some of the holes if you have a bad slice. Overall the round was poor and definitely would not have been worth paying full price to play.

In addition the next day I received a phone call from the course saying that I had damaged one of their golf carts. I was told it looked like a club was smashed against the cart and that I would be responsible for it. I will be the first to admit that I am not a great golfer but the last thing I am going to do is damage or destroy any equipment if I am having a bad round, regardless of whether the course owns it or I do. I was extremely insulted by this accusation and by my treatment from the golf course staff over the phone. Based on this experience I refuse to play here ever again.

Golfer4Lyfe75
Commented On 07/07/2017

A bar closing early on a Sunday seems pretty common to me, especially in a small town.

This review reads to me like you got caught damaging property and decided to try to ruin a business because of it. Pretty sad.

I have had nothing but great golf at this course, and it gets better every year. Beautiful greens and fairways, and one of the prettiest courses in the area.

Poor

Lake Mills GC is not very nice. I wouldn't pay to play it. Maintained poorly. Awkward layout. Can't tell where the fairway ends and rough begins.

Hard to navigate with new construction, confusing. Course needs some work

Call ahead before booking

Full course wasn't open so they routed you through 9 holes closest to the clubhouse. Tee boxes were clean for the most part. Small slow moving greens. Clubhouse didn't honor the GolfNow price I reserved, even after I presented my reservation confirmation and the employee talked to the owner. Gave some poor excuse as to why it wouldn't be honored. Not a huge difference in price, so I didn't make it an issue.

This course has weak features

Wasn't fully open and the layout was all messed up. No drink cart person out when it was a beautiful Saturday. You couldn't tell what was rough and what was fairway, poor maintenance of course.

Hills

Great course, I'll be back! Lots of challenges. The course was in great shape.

WOW! Not worth the $$$

Rock hard greens and course in bad shape. Very sad

Valid dates: Nov 08, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018