New Richmond Golf Club - Old Course

Located just 30 miles northeast of St. Paul, New Richmond Golf Club offers one of the area's most popular and most challenging layouts. There are two courses available at the club, the 18-hole Old Course and the reversible nine-hole, par-36 Links Course. The Old Course sprawls across 173 acres of gently rolling hills dappled with mature trees. The Willow River meanders through the layout, cutting through the fourth, fifth and seventh holes. The trio serves as New Richmond's own "Amen Corner," featuring a challenging mix of water and sand that will test the skills of even the best players. The par-4 fifth hole is in fact the no. 1 handicap hole with not only the river on the right but also a pond on the left. New Richmond Golf Club is also known for having the "Best Practice Facility in Western Wisconsin," which includes a 32-station driving range and expansive chipping and putting greens.
White Combo 72 5960 yards 69.3 123
White Combo (W) 72 5960 yards 74.6 134
Gold Combo 72 5631 yards 67.6 119
Gold Combo (W) 72 5631 yards 73.2 126
Scorecard for Old
Blue M: 72.9/134 382 378 198 377 406 509 194 437 467 3348 425 560 185 361 432 352 499 149 415 3378 6726
White M: 71.3/126 W: 76.8/139 362 360 186 326 386 500 169 416 454 3159 383 527 165 345 409 339 483 131 403 3185 6344
White Combo M: 69.3/123 W: 74.6/134 362 360 174 326 318 500 169 295 454 2958 301 527 165 299 409 339 398 131 403 2972 5930
Gold Combo M: 67.6/119 W: 73.2/126 340 360 174 326 318 409 169 295 416 2807 301 417 165 299 409 325 398 131 349 2794 5601
Gold M: 66.1/116 W: 71.4/122 340 294 174 235 318 409 146 295 416 2627 301 417 144 299 294 325 398 112 349 2639 5266

Year Built 1922
Fairways Blue
Greens Bent
Architect Willie Kidd Don Herfort (1982)

Dress code Shirts with sleeves and / or collars. Long Pants or Mid-Thigh length shorts.

Nice course, great staff!

Fantastic late, late season conditions...can't wait to play mid-summertime. Although a bit on the short side, nice shot values and challenging greens. Clubhouse bar is one of the friendliest in the Midwest...great staff and patrons.

Always worth the drive

Five stars for every category. Very cool layout,. Great "old school" layout and excellent range/practice area. If I didn't live far away I'd buy a membership. Reminds me of a up north course.

fall golf

Course was in good condition for this time of year. Most of the leaves moved way away from fairways

Great Late Fall round

Course was in great shape. Maintenance staff doing a good job with Fall conditions. Enjoyed our round

New Richmond - Old Course

Small-town country club feel with a near resort-like course & first class practice facilities. Definitely one of the better courses in western Wisconsin.

Very pretty course with lots of mature & beautiful trees, especially all the evergreens. A nice real creek/river runs through holes 4, 5, & 7. Mostly gently rolling terrain after the first few flat holes. Some slightly elevated tees.

Good design & variety of holes. No two holes felt the same with some more interesting ones. Reasonably long & challenging enough, even for more advanced golfers & big hitters (6726 from tips).

Conditions were very soft. Course was well-maintained all-around, especially for as late as November. Greens were fast & rolled well. Each putt was at least a little breaking and/or up/downhill. Bunker sand was nice & soft.

Practice area was among the best I've seen, great example of the ideal setup with a large driving range, a large pitching/chipping green with a large fairway section & large practice bunker, ample practice balls laid out and a large putting green, all right next to each other, appropriately spaced out and close to the clubhouse & first tee.

Expensive riding carts (which were top-of-the-line electric carts with ball & club washers and a cooler) but great rates for walkers, especially seniors, juniors & New Richmond residents.

Well worth the hour drive from The Cities. I will definitely be back again.

Only disappointment: pace was slowest I've seen on any course. Front 9 took almost 3 hours (hole #5, a par 4, had 5 or 6 different foursomes on it from tee to green, probably close to 30 min wait on tee box). We barely got 18 in, many quit after 9. However, the members we spoke to said they've never seen it nearly that bad before. Plus, it was very busy and there was a tournament earlier that day that was still finishing up.

November golf

Great day for golf, the coarse was in good condition,even had the beverage cart out!

First time playing the course. I thought the practice facilities were outstanding. The course is fun with the back nine standing out as a scenic stroll through a pine tree forest. Overall the course was in good shape and was a good value.

Love the track

Beautiful fun layout that will challenge your entire bag.

Nice track

Thoroughly enjoyed playing this course even with the wet conditions. The maintenance staff were busy in attempting to catch up with the down time due to the recent downpours. The course was definitely challenging with its hilly and winding terrain. The greens were very consistent and in good shape except for the debris falling from all the strong winds. The sand traps needed some more sand but they were probably compacted due to the rain. Pro shop had a very good selection of attire and decent selection of clubs. The bar area was pretty laid back and the clientele was most cordial. I think on a sunny, wind free day this course would be really special!

A snail's pace

I've played New RIchmond several times and although I truly enjoy the layout and conditions (typically) this may have been the last time I make the hour plus drive. For the second consecutive time it seems like everyone who owns a set of golf clubs in western Wisconsin flocked to New Richmond to polish up their games. Before we even teed off I asked the gentleman in the pro shop if there was a ranger on the course after witnessing an elderly man in the group ahead of us hit his tee shot literally 6 feet, then tee up another and start the process over again. After watching all four people in the group struggle to play a hole in under 15 minutes they finally decided to let our group play through on hole three. Here we thought we would have clear sailing the rest of the round, but alas by hole 8 we ran into stopped traffic yet again. As far as I am concerned there is no reason to sit and wait 3-5 minutes between every shot, which is ultimately what ended up happening the entire back nine. It is on the course to make sure that the pace is moving right along and the staff at New Richmond absolutely did NOT do this. I am sorely disappointed because the course is absolutely gorgeous to play in the fall, but if groups can't move around at a reasonable pace on a Tuesday afternoon can you imagine what a weekend day looks like?

The greens had been recently punched and were in quite poor shape, but I do understand that is part of the process and is unavoidable. Just wish GolfNow would have indicated this when we went to book our tee time.

nice course some challenging holes rollinig hills scenic

nice course some challenging holes rollinig hills scenic could be played by various skill levels

Just challenging enough to make this a great course

Long fairways and fast greens make this course a great pick for intermediate to advanced golfers. There are new challenges on every hole that will test your abilities and could pay off with a great score. The course is in great shape with challenging pin placements. Overall, this was a good round of golf and I really enjoyed the course.

Good Course

Well kept course with nice cart paths.

We followed a group of 4 male golfers that took 5 hours to complete 18 holes. So it was very slow play.

The course is somewhere I would want to play again at a fair price like we got on Golfnow.

Beautiful course!

This course was nicer than expected. First time ever for my husband and me and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I found a very inexpensive round through Golf Now which made it an even better experience. Very beautiful course.

Little Bit of Heaven

Always a challenging and beautiful day at NR. As always the staff is great, greens are perfect and the course offers unique opportunities to keep you coming back. Best condition all year! Love that it's so quiet, private and well managed spacing of groups. Have never had a slow round. Fellow golfers show great pride in keeping the ball marks repaired and carts where they belong. Have friends that belong to private clubs that are always dying to play here. What does the tell you about the quality of golf here!

Great course!

The price was very reasonable, the course was in great condition and very fun and challenging holes. I look forward to playing there again!

Wow

Well, I have wanted to play this course for quite sometime. Golf.now has great deals here so for 19 bucks, it was time. I knew this was going to be in direct competition with the following small scale local courses, Bellwood, Hidden Greens, Spring Valley, Clifton Highlands, Bristol Ridge and Stillwater Oaks, Killkarney and River Falls. Hands down this track beats all of these courses. I was fortunate enough to play with an awesome couple that guided me through where to hit the ball. It was also wise to use an app to guide me as well, there are a few hidden bunkers and creeks. This course had real character. I played from the whites which wasn't much shorter than the blues. The tees were immaculate, fairways were well maintained and the greens were true. The 1st tee leaves the pro shop and you don't see it again until the 13th green, that was an odd feature. There are trees lining fairways, I found my share. Take your medicine and play out, not through. I hit 240-260 off the tee and didn't feel cheated, I had to use all of my clubs. This course has a feel of the Coastal GA and SC courses I have played. The green side bunkers can be used to hide the flags too, beware. I took a heavy dose of middle of the green approaches. This course has no Mickey Mouse holes, straight up. What you see, is what you get, very fair but challenging. I will be back and quite often I hope. For those familiar with the area courses, I would rival this course with White Eagle, Eagle Valley and Prestwick. The price is way better too.

My favorite course in WI, however, pace of play is a persistent problem

Our threesome played in the early afternoon on a Tuesday. Played in five hours, waiting on every shot from hole #3 onward. I'm writing this review because I had the same pace of play issue my last time playing there in the Fall of 2015 (played in October). This tells me that this is likely a regular problem by the course's regular clientele or I'm just that unlucky? The golf course conditions, layout & staff are always first rate and the course is really enjoyable. Too bad the pace of play is ridiculously slow.

great greens, the end.

Great greens...

Unfortunately the layout is poor and the pace of play is the worst i've ever experienced (and i've played inver hills on the weekend).

Over 2 hours to play 4 - 9, midday mid week...unacceptable.

Very old clientele who played as if they were trying to win a major, and the rangers didn't say a word. Great greens but life is too short.

The course

Greens are fast, but true which is what I like. I could not afford to golf New Richmond if not for Golf now.com The yardages from the score card are very helpfull

Somerset, Wisconsin