Moss Creek Golf Club

1.9
1.5
2.6
1.5

Located in the northwest corner of Dayton, Moss Creek Golf Club offers some of the best greens in the area. They feature challenging cup locations and they putt fast and true. The picturesque landscape is dotted with sparkling lakes that come into play on a few holes. The back nine holes are particularly scenic. The gently rolling terrain has subtle contours that can prove to be quite tricky. The layout definitely has some challenging holes but wide fairways offer some room for error. It will greatly reward long, straight drives though wayward shots are not too severely punished. It is a diverse enough golf course to appeal to all skill levels from beginner to advanced. In addition to the course, Moss Creek also offers one of Dayton's better driving ranges.
Scorecard for Moss Creek
Gold M: 73.9/135 508 375 219 399 516 435 190 399 430 3471 427 199 372 593 396 468 460 164 673 3752 7223
Aqua M: 72.2/132 475 356 193 380 485 419 174 371 409 3262 409 179 345 572 373 438 445 153 600 3514 6776
White M: 69.3/126 W: 75.1/131 449 332 174 358 456 393 157 351 384 3054 376 158 315 545 352 414 420 139 574 3293 6347
Green M: 64.2/115 W: 68.9/118 424 291 129 262 410 292 93 258 326 2485 278 140 204 416 323 336 302 102 460 2561 5046

Year Built 1999
Golf Season March - November

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

1.9

Had to try it

Throughout the year I've been reading a lot of negative reviews about this course. I played there yesterday, I showed up an hour late because of car trouble and they honored my tee time anyway which I really appreciated since it's a 40 minute drive. This kind of courtesy goes a long way for me. I did however try calling several times to let them know what was going on but no one answered and the voicemail was not set up,I would recommend at least setting up the voicemail. I remember playing this course when it had only been open for a year and it was tough! Having a links style course in this area is so different from all the other courses in the area it will really put your game to task. i went to the course with low expectations for the tee boxes, sand traps and the greens as I had read about them beforehand. The tee boxes and the fairways were barren in some areas but I just picked and replaced as there were plenty of areas where you could place your ball. The sand traps haven't been worked yet so they have grass in them, I hit in one so I just played it like ground under repair and dropped no closer to the hole. The greens were awesome, it really looks like they have placed a lot of their attention on them late this year. They were a little slow but they were true. I made an 18 foot birdie putt on 16 that rolled right on the line I hit, no bumps it anything. This is a huge course so I can't imagine the effort it would take to keep up with it. I only saw one person mowing so they may need more personnel to get this course to shine again. Honestly, if they get the tee boxes and fairways under control with more grass I wouldn't care if they just convert the sand traps to great traps.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 10/23/2017:
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review our course. We are sorry to hear that the course conditions and off-course amenities were not up to their best that day, however do hope that the pace of play and friendly staff was able to make your round a little bit better. Thank you for recommending our course in the Clayton, OH area and we hope to see you back again soon!

Course condition

Worst shape I've ever seen a course. Greens were rough. Rest of course terrible. Not worth the money.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 10/13/2017:
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review our course. We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant time during your round with us and appreciate the feedback so we can make the best possible improvements. Thank you for playing with us and we hope you give us another chance to earn your business back again soon.

Poorly maintained course

This course is about a cow pasture. The tee boxes are baren. The fairways are baren and may spot and weedy in others. the rough is 6" or better so if you don't hit the fairways you are loosing you balls. I average 3-5 a round. This course I lost well over a dozen and a half. they even have a note on the cart that if you hit in the fescue it's a free drop If you can find your ball. THe bunkers have no sand and are weedy. There was 3 have way decent holes, 16-17-18 and 17 had a mole that had cut acroos the green in several places making it unplayable from 2 areas. this round may only be $10 but i lost $20 in balls and we quit keeping score on 15. New owner may help this course in a year but I think it will take 2 to get this in decent condition.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 10/18/2017:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played, specifically off the fairways. Your feedback is appreciated and we hope you will see improvements for your next round with us. It sounds like you enjoyed holes 16 through 18 and we hope that improved your experience with us. It also looks like you had a smooth round, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for choosing to play our golf course, in the Cincinnati area, and we hope to see you again soon.
Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 09/27/2017:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club, in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and that you did not have an enjoyable customer experience with our staff. Your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a smooth round, so we hope that made your round a little better. Thank you for golfing with us and we hope to earn your business again soon.

NEVER PLAY THIS COURSE

They have always struggled with maintenance on this course but it has been getting better. I can appreciate a course trying to come back from the brink to be viable again. so heres the problem. went to play today, pulling up to the first tee there was a red alero on the cart path facing me. i pulled off to the side waved him through the car didnt move so i got out grabbed my driver to head to the tee. then the car comes up the path an old man is in it saying "never pull off the path to tee off." "you stay on the path thats what its for" all of this while pointing at me. i told him i know but you were on the path so i pulled off so you could get by. he looks up at me and says "no i was waiting for you and thats what you did. you stay on the path" ( pointing again). and he keep going explaining basic rules in a very condencending tone talking to me like i was 6 years old....so just so i get this straight. he was yelling at me for going off of the path because somebody was on the path in car. a car. on the golf path. and because i moved to clear the way he then tried to scold me like a child about course etiquette. A course trying to become relevant again can not afford to have this working for them or even being associated with them. they deserve to loose all money invested recently if this is how they are going to run it.

Poor Condition

I played this course several times about 10 years ago. This was my first time back since then. The course was in terrible shape. Fairways almost gone, sand traps did not have any sand and were overgrown with grasses. Greens were the only thing in fair shape. Lots on ant hills on them and weeds. Course has an outstanding layout. However, the conditions of the course were not worth what we paid to play. It would be a shame if current ownership cannot bring it back to it's original condition.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 09/06/2017:
Hello Donald, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club, in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you played. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to earn your business again in the future.

Nice landscape

Try to play here once a year. Last year was a joke. Course is trying to make a come back. kudos to everyone taking care of fairways & greens.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/23/2017:
Hello Anthony, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club, and for the 3-stars. We are sorry to hear that some areas of the course may not have been in the best shape when you played, but we are happy to see that you enjoyed the course layout. We are also happy to see that you had a friendly experience with our staff. Thank you for recommending our course, in the Cincinnati area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Getting better

Moss Creek is getting a lot better each time I go out there improvements on the tee boxes and the greens ,bunkers still need work

Great layout Hope they can save it!

Don't expect a lot and just enjoy the layout . Greens OK condition, vary soft & slow with bare spots, some greens worse than other. Fairways weedy but playable. Tees the same. Wide fairways & short rough area, outside of that it's a lost ball. Bunkers are playable but lots of weeds and small rocks. Will comeback and play again because of great layout & wilderness feel of front 9. Just don't expect a lot and and hope new owners can manage to save a gem in Dayton area.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/14/2017:
Hello Dave, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is greatly appreciated. It sounds as if you liked the course layout, so we are happy that made your round more enjoyable. Thank you for golfing with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sad condition for a golf course

I had never played this course and thought I'd give it a try after reading it was under new management. The condition of the course is still pretty poor, but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews/pictures I had seen. The layout of the course is fantastic! The fairways aren't bad though many are weedy with some bare spots (looks like they aren't watered at all?). Unfortunately, after that it's downhill. The bunkers are full of big rocks and weeds, the tee boxes are nothing but weeds or dirt, many of the greens were covered with any hills, and the clubhouse is a mobile trailer. I hope they continue to turn things around and bring it back to a beautiful course, and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone until they do. I will give it some time and then try it again to see if conditions improve.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/14/2017:
Hello Michael, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club in the Cincinnati area. Your feedback is greatly appreciated when it comes to the course conditions so that we know where improvements can be be made. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the course layout and it also looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff. Thank you for golfing with us and we hope to earn your business again soon.

Worst course (EVER)!!!!!!

Fairways Horrible..Greens Had Ant Hills everywhere..Roughs were 12" and more .Will never play again.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/07/2017:
Paul, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our course, Moss Creek Golf Club. We are sorry that you found the fairways to be horrible. We are going through a tough transition period, so our conditions are not what we or our golfers usually expect. We hope that you will give us the chance to earn your business again.
Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 07/31/2017:
Hello Mark, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to see that the course conditions my have been sub par when you played and we appreciate your feedback. It looks like you enjoyed the course layout and that it was a smooth round, so we are happy to see that. Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to see you again soon.

Farm like

Fairways were okay but bunkers need help. Good for price!

Cary8309750
Commented On 08/06/2017

Any reviews giving this course a favorable mention are probably not authentic!! The course is in deplorable condition and any deal that they may offer is just not worth it!!!!!

Improving

Look - It's not Augusta National.

But this is one of the best layouts in the area. Hope it survives because it can be truly wonderful.

The bad.

The greens were wet with morning dew and velcro slow. The traps are weed filled. The rough is almost impossible. If you can't look past this and enjoy a great layout with a fast pace and friendly staff , look elsewhere.

The good.

Like weatherwax, if you have not experienced this layout - do yourself a favor.

The fairways and first cut of rough are vastly improved from last year. The staff is friendly and the pace is good. Good snack prices - try the hot dogs.

70 yrs old and shot 76. Blue tees, everything down, including the traps.

36 on the back - took a little while to get on to the slow greens. Not bragging - just letting you know it's not my first rodeo.

Overall.

The course is improved over the last couple of years and I for one would hate to see it go. Long and challenging with some shot making required. Yes it's in rough shape - especially the traps, and the greens are slow. But what a layout!!

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/04/2017:
Dick, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club. We hope to earn your business again in the future.
Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/04/2017:
Brandon, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club. We are glad you enjoyed the pace of play and layout. We hope that you will give us the chance to earn your business again.

Once upon a time!

The course was once very nice. It is now quite run down. There were once wonderful bunkers that are not maintained at all. Full of weeds. Most of the tee boxes are weedy. Fairways are in poor shape. The greens are in nice shape. The staff was quite nice. Handed me my receipt,

scorecard, pencil and cart key when I walked up. Brought the cart to me.

Sad to see a once very nice course in such bad shape.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 08/04/2017:
Tim, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club. We are undergoing a rough transition period, which explains our lacking conditions. We hope you'll give us the chance to earn your business again.

Rough but Playable

After reading all the negative reviews on Moss Creek, I decided to play the course as a lark. I expected that I wouldn't play the entire round and just check out the remnants of a formerly nice course.

What I found was a course in mostly playable condition. The front nine was in better shape than the back. Even on the back, I didn't run into anything unplayable. The tee boxes weren't much different from your run-of-the-mill lower tier public course. Fairways were a shade higher than normal. Greens were very slow, but the bare patches other reviews have talked about were very minimal-most greens didn't have them.

I recommended it, but with the stipulation that you roll the ball on the fairway and take relief from the (mostly) unplayable bunkers.

The course is what it is. A very nice layout in below average conditions but worth the play because of the layout, extremely fast pace of play and the low cost. I hope that Moss Creek continues on the road back and gets to the next level soon.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 07/17/2017:
Hello Joe, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played, but we are happy that you enjoyed the course layout. We are also happy to hear that you had smooth round and that it was a great value. Thank your for recommending us and we hope to see you again very soon.

High Hopes for this course

I heard that the course has new owners and they are trying to bring it back to what it used to be. I really hope that to be the case. You would be hard pressed to find a better layout of a golf course in the area. Absolutely beautiful.

The course definitely needs some work but it is also very playable right now although you will have to take drops from sandtraps and roll the ball over at times.

I will certainly be back and hope that over the coming months they can restore this course to it's glory days.

Response from Moss Creek Golf Club on 07/10/2017:
Hi Mike, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club and for the 3 star rating. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and consider our layout one of the best in the area. Your thoughts will be considered as we make improvements. We look forward to seeing you again soon for an even better round in the Cincinatti area.
Response from Moss Creek Country Club on 07/31/2017:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Moss Creek Golf Club in the Cincinnati area. We are sorry to see that you had a poor customer experience at our course. Your feedback is valued and we hope to earn your business again soon.
Clayton, Ohio