The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Highland Oaks
Purple 72 6995 yards 74.2 136
Orange 72 6426 yards 70.8 135
Teal 72 5025 yards 69.0 127
Scorecard for Highlands/Magnolia
Purple M: 74.2/135 493 458 457 256 430 206 561 435 596 3892 392 205 577 546 416 481 195 437 452 3701 7593
Oange M: 70.8/134 442 415 437 225 390 178 523 409 561 3580 371 155 545 516 377 441 176 409 414 3404 6984
White M: 70.5/125 W: 74.0/125 410 371 388 181 362 169 507 372 525 3285 330 147 520 480 352 396 150 373 393 3141 6426
Teal M: 68.3/120 W: 70.0/120 392 341 354 127 336 145 422 352 497 2966 296 110 476 457 317 363 136 341 366 2862 5828

Year Built 1993
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1993) Roger Rulewich (1993)

Carts Yes - $20

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

Love the layout

Great layout but the greens on highland are awful. Would have been nice if they had told us before hand the greens we're a mess. We were booked to play Marsh and magnolia but they switched us at the time of check in due to slow play tournamenti that was going on as well

This Course Exceeded My Expectations

We had two couples looking for some outside entertainment. We had a great day despite the wind. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We played the Short Course and truly enjoyed the day.

Exceeded Expectations

Great day and friendly helpful staff. Played the Magnolia / Highland combination - both course were in excellent condition. Nice layouts - especially the Highlands track. We hope the rest of the RTJ courses are as good.

Course was very nice the staff was very friendly I bought a putter there and they where very helpful I had been too two other golf shops and they where the only ones to take any interest, Great place would play again for sure.

Excellent Course

Highland-Oaks was fantastic. Course in great condition for this time of year. Staff was friendly and helpful. RTJ Trail is a must for the bucket list of every golfer.

2nd Review

I played here back in the spring and the greens were extremely slow. Not this time, this course is in perfect condition right now. Greens were perfect, rolled very true. Some of the best I've played on in a long time. Fairways were in great shape and the rough was not too deep. Highly recommend this course to all!!

Birmingham Advisor

One of the more playable Trail courses for mid-to-high handicappers

Played all 27 holes today for the first time. The course plays through several neighborhoods, a rarity on the Trail, but I didn't find the homes to detract from the round. The Highlands/Magnolia nines are considered the core 18, with the Highlands being the general consensus favorite loop. I can't argue with that. The Highlands was our opening nine, and after two gentle opening holes, you are greeted with a forced carry tee shot on the third, followed by another carry to a peninsula green. The par 3s on this nine were very memorable. The fourth is another peninsula green, though the hazard looms much larger. The pin was perched perilously on the left-hand side making for a real challenge. The ninth hole now occupies what used to be a landing strip for a defunct airport. While the Highlands is bolstered by thick strands of hardwood pines, the Magnolia nine is highlighted by more mature trees, hence the name. Water does not come into play on Magnolia until the final approach shot. The Marshwood is kind of a hybrid between the other two and features a couple of wetland areas. I felt like all three nines play fairly docile from tee to green, with a few notable exceptions. If you are in command of your tee ball you should have little trouble setting up approaches to greens that are multi-level, but aren't as penal as Silver Lakes or Cambrian Ridge. Today we had many pin placements with backstop slopes that helped carry balls closer to the hole. Though we were told the greens had been rolled that morning, I didn't find them to be quick. The hearty-thatched Bermuda is very grainy and even downhill, downgrain putts required a proper thump. Players who like to hit putts very firm without the consequences of a five-foot returning putt will enjoy these greens. The staff was exceptional and went out of their way to show us around since it was our first visit. Bottom line: All three nines provide excellent playability with minimum forced carries. Better players can play more yardage and find greater challenge, while this track won't beat up mid-to-high handicappers. The scenic value of the holes around the lake on Highlands are exceptional. Hit putts firmly and pay attention to the grain.

Super slow greens

I hate to give an RTJ course a bad review but I have to this time. The greens were the slowest I've played in a long time. There is a lot of undulation on the greens so I understand slowing them up to degree but they were just horrible the day I played, March 11, 2017. Other than that the layout is very challenging and the fairways are excellent. The management at the course were very friendly and helpful. I'm sure I'll play here again and if it is better then I will give a better review.

Put it on your Must Play List

Impeccable course conditions, a generous layout, and probably the toughest green complexes I've ever putted on. I lost count of the number of putts of 3 feet or less that I missed. The undulation of the greens was brutal and will trick up even the best of putters. Marshwood has the most slope of the three nines here, and has the longest par 5 which demands three great shots to even have a hope of par. I am about a 6 handicap, and really struggled on these greens. I honestly don't know what a 15 handicap or higher would do on this course. It's a beast and will break you mentally if you aren't prepared. I definitely would return and play this one over and over again. At the very least, I need to return to redeem myself for all the missed 3 footers I left out there.

RTJ trail in Dothan

this place is just flat out great. My third time back, and it seems to get better each time. The greens are better than ever, and the fairways are cut perfectly. Unfortunately, I was in the sand more than I wanted to be, but it was really nice and soft, easy to get out of. I can't say enough about each of these 9's. Each one different than the other, and very enjoyable to play. Pro shop staff very friendly and helpful. Turning in to one of my favorite places to play. It is definitely worth the drive.

Bad timing, avoid visiting in early June

Beautiful course, unfortunately it was in terrible condition. Nine holes, both putting greens, and the driving range were closed. The 18 holes that we played were in okay condition except the greens were awful because of aerification and sanding. I don't think this was anything more than routine maintenance. I just wish they would have let us know before we drove 7 hours to play there.
We felt cheated, especially since there was no price break, and although the place was beautiful, we will probably never go back. It was a really bad first exposure to the RTJ Trail. I think we will try somewhere else next time.

Beautiful Facility

My wife and I enjoyed the course very much. It is a beautiful facility and the course was in great shape. We played the Highlands course and the Marshwood courses. We will be back.

Monday at the Highlands

We played Magnolia and Marshwood for the second time in the last couple of months The course is in really good condition. The greens are very challenging and well manicured. It was another enjoyable experience at Highland Oaks. The head pro, Harrison, was particularly nice and anxious to please. We will play there again soon.

Better hit it close

Robert Trent Jones created this course masterfully. From tee to green, it seems like a relatively simple golf course.......but once you get to the green, its a different story. I believe I counted some greens with 5 tiers, in which case, you hit the putt and pray.it gets close. Also, if you plan on teeing it up from the back tees, i hope you can carry your driver at least 275 yards.....every time.

Two hardest par 3's of any nine

“Robert Trent Jones is an evil man.” – Vicki O.

Highland Oaks is on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Dothan, Alabama. There are 27 holes, plus a 9-hole par-3course. I played the Magnolia and Highlands nines, which

"was named by Golf Digest as the 7th best new public course in America in 1994 and 31st in their list of America’s Top 50 Affordable Courses. This combination was also named by Golf Digest’s "Places to Play" as one of the nation’s Great Value courses."

The greens on the Magnolia course are all elevated, in the style of Pinehurst #2, with closely-mown slopes going down to the fairway, or collection areas, or a lake (on 9). Each hole is interesting, and unique. No flat, boring, up-and-back par 4's here. The grass on the greens is similar to that on the Crossings course at Magnolia Grove, in that the grain always seems to grow downhill.

The Highlands course has the hardest pair of par 3's I've ever played, or seen on TV. Only the 12th and 16th at Augusta National come close, and the ones here are longer, and downhill, and exposed to the wind off the lake. The 4th is 256 yards from the tips, with water by the green in front and back and on the left. I played it from 181 yards, and did not aim for the green. Nevertheless, during the downswing, my unconscious mind screamed “DON'T GO LEFT”, which triggered an electrical storm of nervous system impulses, driving the shot another 30 yards right of the green. The 40-yard chip shot was over two large mounds to a green sloping away toward the water. Short-sided, of course. Another involuntary spasm left the first try halfway to the green. The second chip was stuck perfectly, but suffered from a lack of concentration and preparation, and broke an unanticipated 15 feet. I was uncharacteristically sanguine about my double bogey.

The 6th is the signature hole, the peninsula green, 206 from the tips. Fully 50 yards longer than the 17th at TPC Sawgrass, but, to be fair, a somewhat larger green with a much larger trap in front. I'll spare you the details, but it was another double bogey without a penalty stroke. It was while approaching this green that Vicki gave her opinion of Robert Trent Jones. You have to know that Vicki has never played golf, but has accompanied me a few times and we have watched golf together on TV. After the round we discussed why the various clubs have numbers, and what they mean. So, as you can see, her opinion was insightful far beyond what her golf experience would afford.

Just to set you up for these two holes, the third is a 457-yard dogleg left par 4 with the lake on the left all the way, like the 18th at TPC Sawgrass. Except that the tee shot is over the lake to a fairway that runs at an angle, like the 18th at TPC Scottsdale, where the farther left you go the longer the forced carry. I parred that one (from 414 yards).

If you're ever in Dothan, Alabama, this is one not to miss.

Valid dates: Aug 15, 2019 - Aug 31, 2020