Dogwood Hills Golf Club

Type Public/Resort
Dogwood Hills Golf Resort & Gardens
Scorecard for Dogwood Hills Golf Club
Gold M: 73.1/123 353 360 192 458 408 494 401 146 402 3214 395 424 427 347 212 509 181 527 434 3456 6670
Blue M: 70.7/121 342 354 167 446 386 479 391 132 387 3084 380 358 412 322 186 476 164 502 413 3213 6297
White M: 69.2/117 W: 70.2/119 329 350 153 434 364 464 377 123 346 2940 323 345 398 302 155 451 145 487 394 3000 5940
Red W: 67.1/113 283 347 116 402 288 411 323 111 217 2498 318 270 338 266 123 354 136 424 302 2531 5029

Year Built 1977
Architect Bryce Slater (1977)

Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Accepted

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Alabama (2018 #10) (2017 #7) (2016 #7)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Value Courses in the U.S. (2017 #5)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Pace of Play in the U.S. (2017 #5)

Nice December Day for Golf

Course was very wet which was expected. For December in Alabama, the course was in decent shape except the sand traps. Greens were in good shape.

This one can't be beat!

This course was wonderful in every way possible! Definitely worth the drive!

Favorite coarse

Me and the brother in law, nephews play Dogwood a lot it’s are favorite course here locally.

The price is fare and plus we use GolfNow application for even better deals on the rates.

Thanks Perry Brooks Higdon Alabama

nice course, great price

Wide forgiving fairways, soft lush greens, good memories that will last in your mind.

Soggy but satisfied!

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Although it rained the majority of my round, it didn’t put a damper on my spirits! Even though The area had a lot of rain the night before the course was still very playable. The fairways drained well, and were exceptionally well kept. I enjoyed the layout, open, but still a few challenging shots. Ample greens, good tee boxes, Will definitely play again.

Best of the Best!

Nestled in the hills of Alabama and a little over an hour from home, this course was well worth the drive. In fact, we are headed back tomorrow morning for another round! The fairwsys and greens are in fantastic shape! I have made more for a lot less! It really provides challenges, yet its wide fairways are forgiving for less experienced or beginning golfers.

A great rual course

I always love playing this course. I rarely play consistent golf during the round but love playing it. You can score on some holes and if you lose concentration then you can easily have a large number in some holes. The back 9 is very scenic and fun to play.

Well worth the drive at any price

I’m a 20 handicap and I shot a 90 so it helped that I played well but putting that aside this is one of best courses I have played in years. I had been told it was worth it before I went and I wasn’t disappointed. I will definitely be playing again. The course is over 40 miles from my home and that won’t keep me from returning soon.

Hidden gem

I was visiting Chattanooga so I heard about Dogwood from a few guys I played a different course with. They said it was a little bit of a drive but well worth it. I drove down to find a great little course. The greens were wet and slow from all the rain but not unplayable at all. The front nine a few gimmick holes..number 2 especially but the back nine was gorgeous. Number 10 is definitely the signature hole.

Wet to Wonderful

What began as an extremely wet day ended with wonderful weather! The greens were soaked and extremely slow, but drained quickly as did most of the fairways. The course was in excellent condition considering rain in the area for several days no doubt prohibited mowing.

worth your time

Nice course in the middle of nowhere. Cabins look great. Layout is senior friendly. Bermuda fairways. Here is my dilemma, somewhere i read that the greens were bent. To me they looked like poaanna with bermuda mixed. there were definetly two different grassess on the greens. I am no expert but have played 40 years on hundreds of courses. Having said that, these greens putt very well and you couldnt tell by putting that two kinds of grass are present. I recommend the course to all golfers.

Wet and wild

When we got there the person who greeted us couldn’t be nicer. He was brother of the man who built the course. He got our 3 some out before a large group so pace of play was great. Great layout on this beautiful mountain course. Our only problem was that the course was very wet and mucky in many areas. A couple holes were almost unplayable. Overall we had a great time and would love to play again under dryer conditions.

Great Golf

Even though the course was a little wet and windy it was a very good round. Greens in great shape for this time of the year. Will be back soon.

I was visiting my friend who lives in Chattanooga Tenn. & he heard good things about this course so we decided to give it a try. It was cold (48 degrees) but we wanted to play. The staff was very friendly (good conversation about Clemson and Alabama football Go Tigers) and we practically had the course to ourselves. I loved the layout and I loved the wide fairways. Looking forward to playing this course in the summer time.

A hidden gem

My round today reminded of why I love playing golf. Meeting wonderful people, being surrounded by beautiful a landscape, all while participating in the most challenging sport I've every played. I can't wait to bring my wife here to play a round and possibly stay in the "on course" cabins!

Response from Dogwood Hills Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:
Thank you for leaving a review and rating us 5-stars. It is always great to hear how our course can impact a guest. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off.
Birmingham Advisor

Take advantage of the short par 5s to score well

Dogwood Hills is in the middle of nowhere, lying near the Alabama state line near Chattanooga. I wasn't sure what I would find, but was pleasantly surprised.

The course is billed as a "resort and gardens" and has a couple of cabins out-of-towers can stay in. I'm not sure I would consider this a destination place, but to each his own.

The course itself was better than I anticipated. It is well-maintained for a rural course. The fairways were excellent and the bentgrass greens, though a bit hairy, were faster than they looked. They had recently been aerated, but were well on the way to recovery and did not affect a single putt. Perhaps the bentgrass thrives a little better at this slightly higher elevation.

There were some memorable holes - including a couple of well-designed holes by the late co-owner who was also the architect. The first design feature that I thought was brilliant was on the short par-5 fourth hole, a paltry 446 yards from the men's tees and 458 yards from the tips. The hole doglegs 90 degrees to the left and plays straight uphill at the bend. Trees guard the corner from the tee, making cutting the corner improbable, if not impossible. I hit a driver off the tee that favored the left side but went just through the fairway. When I arrived at the ball, I noticed three pines planted in succession working from the right rough back into the fairway. I then realized that the correct play was a shorter club off the tee to avoid having to punch my second shot short of the green. It was a smart design feature to give the hole some defense.

The four par 5s are all extremely gettable. I hit my drives between 250-275 yards and all were reachable in two. Pars will definitely feel like bogeys on the par 5s.

The course offers a lot of width off the tee, so longer hitters will be at an advantage and will likely score well. Most anyone will likely score a few strokes better than normal here.

The greens had a good bit of movement in them and there are some perilous pin placements. This is necessary, again, to protect against par on many holes.

There are a handful of ho-hum holes, but all-in-all it is a good value play, particularly if you like to walk. There aren't too many leg-weakening climbs, so if you normally walk, $20 is a good deal.

My only constructive criticism of the course has to do with the hole diagrams on the scorecard. As a first-timer here, I had to rely on the diagrams a couple of times where there were blind tee shots and water hazards were shown. On the seventh, 11th and 13th holes, water hazards appeared to be in play according to the diagrams, but actually weren't. It wasn't a big deal, but did affect club selection off the tee on one of the holes.

In summary, it was a pleasant course to walk that was maintained better than the price tag of the greens fee. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Response from Dogwood Hills Golf Club on 10/06/2017:
Hi Brandon, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Dogwood Hills Golf Club, and for the 3-stars. We appreciate your feedback with the hole diagrams and will use this to make the proper improvements. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed the course conditions for the fairways and greens and cannot wait to see you back with us again!

Second time playing this course

Second time playing this course, both of GolfNow, so it was the 1st tee time of the day. BEAUTIFUL that time of day and the course is in great shape!

Response from Dogwood Hills Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:
Hello, Harold. We appreciate the 4-star review. Your feedback will be used to notify our team so they can continue to provide an enjoyable experience but also make changes to hopefully earn 5-stars next time. Thanks for playing with us!

beautiful and chalenging

very nice for the money. staff were helpful and outgoing. would recommend to any handicapper, high or low.

Trenton, Georgia