Wyncote Golf Club

Wyncote Golf Club in Oxford is one of the most challenging courses in the area. The heathlands layout feels like a links course with wind being an important factor and thick fescue coming into play. The golf course starts with an especially tough front nine but there are more scoring opportunities on the back. Mounded bunkers and moguls define the movement of the fairways and though there aren't many trees, if you don't keep your shots straight you might find yourself out-of-bounds or lost in the high, wiry grass. Sidehill lies await you as well as a few blind shots. Wyncote's greens have little undulation but the lightning fast putting surfaces are a challenge for players of all skill levels. With a few "grip it and rip it" holes mixed in, Wyncote Golf Club is a tough but fair test.
Wyncote Golf Club
Scorecard for Wyncote
Black M: 74.3/140 577 196 385 456 393 187 424 407 580 3605 568 460 356 427 188 348 417 222 557 3543 7148
Blue M: 72.3/135 521 185 361 444 363 172 391 379 566 3382 517 426 342 401 163 342 408 180 529 3308 6690
White M: 70.4/125 480 159 323 416 340 157 374 334 534 3117 477 407 306 334 147 309 378 147 452 2957 6074
Gold W: 71.6/126 443 135 287 377 294 119 341 284 474 2754 429 358 275 329 130 286 343 128 422 2700 5454

Year Built 1993
Architect Brian Ault (1993)

Quality experience

This course is top notch. The staff was very professional and accommodating. I couldn't be happier with my experience. Bring lots of balls as this isn't an easy course but well worth it.

Pennsylvania Advisor

Perfect! A must play!

How else can I describe Wyncote? The course layout and the conditions are nothing shy of perfection! Even with all the rain, they still were able to lower the rough. So even if you were just slightly off the Fairway you were able to find your ball unlike every other course in the area. If you're new to the course you should probably stick with the whites due to the course plays longer and what the yardage actually is. Even if you're a big hitter. Trust me, it's plenty long enough for you!

Love the layout of this course, will return again to play.

First Time Playing -- Didn't Wow Me, But Nice

I've heard so much about this course, so decided to try it. It was cart path only on #1, #4, #10 & #13,, which wasn't bad. The course had been freshly mowed, so grass all over the ball in the fairway; however, the rough was very lush, long, and deep...thus penal. It took us a while to find the ball several times even though it was just off the fairway in the rough. The fairways were beautiful--nice and lush, very green and absolutely no crabgrass or weeds (like some other local courses). Bunkers were also in good shape--didn't see any holding water. The greens receive mixed reviews from me: 1) they were beautiful, smooth, and a tad fast; however, 2) all greens seemed to be sloped from the back to the front, and putting from back to front meant your ball flew off the front. You needed to leave the approach shot below the hole. I've never seen a course have all back-to-front sloping greens. Is it for drainage? Additionally, because they were so fast, you're better off taking a shorter club and hitting your approach shot short of the green to let it bounce or roll up to stay below the hole. I like the course, and will probably make the 1 hr 20 minute drive to try it again. However, it's not as aesthetically pleasing as I thought (from the website and friends feedback)--I think Royal Manchester is more beautiful and better vistas and views than Wyncote. Very welcoming staff, and a very nice grill and pub after the round. I will try it again, but probably not until next year.

Best Public course in the area

Course is always in great condition. (Even with all the rain we’ve had over the past couple months). Rough wasn’t too long, most bunkers were drained, greens are immaculate. I love playing at Wyncote! Can’t beat a $60 round at 8am on a weekday holiday. Will be back soon.

Could be better

Have played this course a dozen times 6-7 years ago. Great layout, but not well taken care of. Carts barely made it around the course. Rough is way too deep for a public course and surrounds needed work. Weather has been tough this year, but this is not the great course it used to be

Caution golfnow users

I booked 8 players using golf now two weeks before my date of play for 1009 and 1017. We arrived at the course an hour ahead of our times and were told we had 909 and 918 tee times. As it was these times already this didn’t work for us. I had the reservation and courses email reservation but neither mattered. Got sent out starting on the 15th hole and rushed the entire round by a Marshall. This was not my groups error and it ruined my leagues championship day. Call ahead if using golf now at this course to make sure what you book is what they book.

Unreal

After all the rain here, the staff should be commended for their hard work. Fairways and greens were awesome. This was a steal at the golfNow price. Great day! Thanks!

Good course in great condition

Working in the area for the week and played this course based upon the recommendations here... and I'm glad I did! The course was in excellent shape and the greens rolled true and not so fast as to make it unreasonable.

It is a links style course with plenty of natural grasses to swallow up errant shots. There are some tricky short par 4's that require lay ups or big drives to carry creeks or ponds. The par 3's are all about the same distance, and the par 5's are varied with two reachable and two 3-shot holes.

The club house staff was friendly and accommodating, as were the servers in the bar and grill downstairs. There was no drink cart the day I played (weekday), so don't forget to stock up before you start and at the turn.

I don't make it to this area often, but I definitely would come back and play here again. It was an enjoyable experience.

Challenging Course

I played behind high school kids walking. The pace of play was very aggravating, very slow, waiting for at least 10 minuets at every hole for 9 holes. The second 9 holes moved at normal pace. The course was very challenging, it plays long. If you don't hit drives at least 250 yards it will be a long day. The course conditions were excellent and a very nice layout. I hate sand base on the tee boxes it scratches your clubs, use dirt can't be that much more money.

Course was in great condition. Only 4 holes were cart path only due to recent rain. Traps weren’t too bad. Tee boxes, fairways and greens all in good shape. Thick rough. Greens were very fast. Narrow and challenging course but a lot of fun.

Great as always

Rarely have I been able to play a great course in just over 2 hours for 18 holes. I was a solo on a Tuesday afternoon on a GolfNow Hot Deal, but I never had to wait at all. For some reason, Wyncote has the rep for being an expensive upscale course, but it's really not expensive for what you get, which is perfect course conditions.

It was a little overcast and not too hot, so playing conditions were also perfect. Greens were not as fast as you might expect, but rolled true despite the top coat. Maybe there was a little less break than normal, but that just added to playability. You have to keep your ball in play (I did) or you'll quickly find yourself in deep grass, so it's not a good course for very windy days or if you spray it.

It's a five-star experience when you can play quickly, and I was actually tempted to play some more holes.

Philly Advisor

Wonderfully maintained, bring extra balls

The course is maintained very well. Best fairways I’ve seen this year. Tee boxes very good. Sand traps were in good shape given the deluge of rIn we’ve had lately. The greens were good but a bit slow. The fescue is everywhere and swallows balls. That caused slow play without a Marshall around. High handicappers teed up forward but they were in the fescue looking for balls often. I got in it too often, letting it get in my head, so prepare for it.

It’s beautiful scenery with Amish buggies on the roads and one young fella playing as well. It’s worth the drive and a good price in the afternoon. One of the best courses I’ve played and I sure wish they’d put a fescue idol at the practice green so we could donate a few balls to and get it over with faster.

Go play, try to enjoy it, and use you older balls because you won’t find them in the fescue.

Tough but fair

Great course with generous fairways but harsh penalties if you miss. Lots of risk/ reward opportunities. Greens were fast and true. Overall, everything was in great shape. Highly recommended.

Cutting Corners - Saving Money

I should have realized something was up, when I arrived and there was nobody at the bag stand. After waiting for someone to check me in, I proceeded to the first tee. There was no starter, and this is where the trouble began. Golfers were teeing off willy nilly as twosomes, foursomes and singles. My partner and I offered to pair up with the twosome behind us, but they declined.

Having a starter would have organized the groups and elimated the 3 hour front nine. I didn’t stick around for the back nine.

Played by myself all 18 holds which I didn't mind because I could see the flow of the different holds except the last hold which is a blind second shot. also I don't think that when you're paying these prices to have to pay for water on the course, especially on these hot days.

Peach Bottom, Pennsylvania