Scorecard for The General
Blue M: 73.0/119 411 432 235 450 408 530 409 207 531 3613 391 410 428 595 223 367 198 441 585 3638 7251
White M: 70.8/118 371 403 202 355 379 469 378 172 502 3231 357 377 395 566 192 338 160 404 544 3333 6564
Gold M: 68.3/114 338 365 173 317 349 460 348 138 469 2957 324 368 387 558 152 289 135 349 510 3072 6029
Red W: 70.3/114 253 335 130 285 314 418 301 136 425 2597 288 355 321 442 130 289 133 344 435 2737 5334

Year Built 1974
Architect Earl Stone

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Alabama (2016 #14)

Better than average for North Alabama

In general, the course is in very good condition. The greens are slow and rather hard, but cutting them low would likely generate maintenance issues.

One criticism would be the length of grass in the fairways. It was long enough to have a significant affect on drives.

Like the other State Park course in the area, the carts need to be replaced because they have not been maintained.

Sunny Say

Golf course is in AWFUL condition. They are discontinuing their relationship with Golfnow. Too many blind shots to be enjoyable for me.

Response from The General Golf Course on 04/10/2018:
Hello Mark, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

Enjoyed

Had a great time even with the cool and strong winds.

NICE course

Greens a little hairy, but a lot of rain for a few days. Good course condition considering weather. 5 somes on a weekend was unexpected but the one in front of us let us pass. Great day!

Beautiful day for golf

Course in good shape. Greens could be better. The course is very challenging. I would not recommend for high handicappers.

Bang for your buck!!!

I scored big time with this hot deal!!! I’ve played plenty of courses to know that you normally get what you pay for when it comes to golf courses but this was by far the nicest place I have ever played, for less than $20! This was my 1st time on this beautiful course and the 1st place I’ve played since moving here from Chattanooga but I will definitely be back to play every chance I get! Good times!

Plays Twice a year

Decent course every now and then

My biggest issue was the tee boxes. A lot of times I was on very uneven tee boxes. The course needs to level them as the course is really nice. The greens are two years old I believe. Quite slow. It that could be due to the rain.

Response from The General Golf Course on 08/14/2017:
Hello Luke, thank you for taking the time to review our golf course, The General Golf Course within the Alabama State Parks. We appreciate your feedback regarding the tee boxes. It looks like you enjoyed the course layout, so we are happy to see that. Thank you for the 3 star review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Fun Tract Great Price

Challenging layout that plays fairly long especially when wet. The holes are spread out on a large tract of land so you never come in to play with golfers on other holes. The greens are firm, but are putting faster and smoother than ever. This is a fun course at a great price.

Fun round

Had an early tee time, pace of play was great. Really enjoyed wide fairways and not loosing a ball. Plan to play again.

Drought

Because of a lack of rain for a few month, the course was very dry and greens were burned out a bit.

Response from The General Golf Course at Joe Wheeler State Park on 01/17/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review us, The General Golf Course at Joe Wheeler State Park in the Rogersville, Alabama area, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the greens so may work on any necessary improvements. However, we're glad you received a good value for your round and had a fun time on the course. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Beautiful State Park Course

Greens were excellent, long tees made the course very challenging. Fairways not watered, brown, very hard. Beautiful setting well kept

North Alabama's best kept secret. Shhhhhhhhh.

I was hesitant about playing this course as it's over an hours drive from my house. After seeing and playing 'The General' I found it was well worth the drive, Played on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and there was no one in front of us and nobody pushing. A wonderful leisurely round of golf. I will be back!

Slow

Allowing groups of 5-6. Every time I play here it is a 4.5-5.5 hr round. That's way to long.

Unacceptable greens

The greens were replaced a couple years ago, and they were the hardest greens we've ever played. In my twosome, only 1 of 20 shots which hit the green from over 70 yards stayed on the putting surface. After recognizing the greens would not hold, we tried to hit short and bounce onto the green, but many of the holes are elevated and most of those shots would not bounce forward.

The putting surfaces were rough and bumpy. Several putts rolling right at the hole were deflected near the hole by the rough surface.

This would be a fun course were it not for the greens.

Good play away from the madding crowd.

Great day for golf. Fairways were well kept. The greens must be recovering from some significant issue as they were all pretty bumpy. I would have thought that they had recently been aerated, but signs at the clubhouse indicated that green aeration was coming in the next few weeks. If they can get the greens in better shape, it will be a great play for the pay. For the time being, I will wait a year to return to allow the course to get their greens back to playing shape.

A "Do over for sure."

This was a pleasant surprise. We were there staying at the Lodge for a wedding and realized the course was just around the corner from the Lodge. Fantastic time, super nice staff, course was in great condition for winter play. This is certainly one I would play again and again. Great value for the Hot Deal. Lots of elevation and lots of blind shots to the green. I really liked it and would not hesitate to recommend this course. Several holes on the back 9 are close to the lake along with breath-taking views. Go play it!

Valid dates: May 26, 2020 - Jul 12, 2020