Type Semi-Private/Resort

Year Built 1992
Architect Sammy Dean

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Alabama (2016 #4)

Some greens were rough and recently aerated, but this is a good, challenging layout and a great value!

Greens are in rough shape - August

Overall, I thought the course was scenic and had a decent layout. I definitely can't complain about the $49/Hot Deal I paid for the round. However, since Cherokee was recommended to me as a 'country club', I expected this to be more upscale. 2/3's of the greens look like the photos I posted and the majority of the bunkers had weeds growing in them and hadn't been raked in forever. The 'driving range' grass was a combination of bare, clumpy and uneven patches. As a country club in a gated community, I just expected more and regretted not going back to RTJ/Cove. Hopefully they can get things turned around but if you're planning to play there over the next month, I would look for the Hot Deals and avoid full price.

Cherokee

Course was in good condition overall. Greens we’re spotty in patches and burnt out in others. Bent grass this time of year is hard to hold. Speed was still good and they rolled fine. Bunkers need some work in spots.

Disappointed

Course is average at best. Greens are not good. Tees and fairways are in good shape for the most part. Sand traps are mostly unplayable. I was told that they are going to reverse the front and back nines. THAT IS NOT HOW THE COURSE WAS DESIGNED. TERRIBLE IDEA!

Commented On 08/09/2019

Hello markcpa. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Great value for a good course!

Very good and challenging course. Not very busy weekdays during summer.
Excellent value thru GolfNow!

Commented On 08/08/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us Sandwedge49. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Cherokee Ridge Country Club thanks you!

Cherokee Ridge

Fairways and tees were great. Greens has a lot of heat stress damage but were fairly smooth.

Commented On 08/08/2019

Hi Mike1925705. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Cherokee Ridge Country Club.

Cherokee Ridge 5-Star

Course was in great shape, Greens were a little beT down and very fast but had a great day playing 27 holes. Beautiful course and surroundings!

Commented On 08/08/2019

Hi, Tommy256. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Cherokee Ridge Country Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Course condition

While I’m aware that maintenance is important on a golf course, it would have been nice to have been informed of sanding of the greens two days prior to playing. Many of the greens had multiple dead spots in them. Combined with the sand, very difficult to putt on. Also, being a first time player, it was difficult to maneuver around the course. Directions to the nest hole, tee boxes not marked where among a few of the problems encountered. I’m sure once the “kinks” get worked out, it will be a great place to play. For now, I would hold up!!

Course needs SERIOUS help

This is a good layout but the fairways were soaked in many places and more than 75% of the greens were very damaged. Some were as much as 50% damaged. Full of weeds where there was grass but where there was grass it was so thin that it was more dirt than grass. The tee boxes were cut but full of crabgrass and weeds. Traps had little sand in them and those that did have sand were virtually unplayable. Several were full of water. Didn't see any maintenance folks out working on these many problems only one guy on a mower in a fairway. I wouldn't pay more than the $13 fee I paid but I had to wait till early that morning to get that price. Based on other reviews I saw before I booked the tee time I would have gone somewhere else if the $13 fee wasn't available.

Greens in terrible shape

This course is really nice but it was a mess today. There is many areas like greens, fairways, and many areas of ground under repair. This use to be a treat to play but I don’t think I will be back for a long while. Every green was in poor shape. Some were missing grass on over 30 percent of the green.

Commented On 08/08/2019

Hello, Mikebish. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Nice outing

Cherokee Ridge is always a fun outing. The fairways are in excellent shape. The greens need some maintenance, because there are damaged areas on almost every green. Root rot and what appears to be winter diseases are everywhere; unfortunately. Otherwise, good shape.

Commented On 08/08/2019

Hi BobMounter. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Cherokee Ridge Country Club.

Excellent layout, challenging yet playable for all.

3rd time playing this course, first in almost 2 years. The layout is fantastic and most of course is in good shape. There are quite a few greens that are in poor shape, last time I played here the greens were spectacular - seems like the hot, dry conditions this year are hurting courses badly. Staff was great, very friendly and helpful. Didn’t use the restaurant - so gave it an average rating as I honestly don’t know. Would definitely play here again, but won’t pay $55-$60 considering the green conditions.

Commented On 08/08/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Cherokee Ridge Country Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Needs better maintenance

Cherokee Ridge has been my favorite course in the area since I moved here in 2013. The conditions were the worst I have seen in that time. It must be a money issue as prior to this I never had a question of the upkeep of the course. I hope you make it through this year and step up the maintenance to bring this beautiful course back to prominence. Do NOT switch the nines. You do NOT want to start with a difficult par 5. Number 1 is the perfect starting hole, fairly easy to get players off the tee box.

Working hard to improve

This is one of my favorite courses in North Alabama but it has taken some hits over the years and the current management Barclay and his crew are working hard to get it back. The sandtraps need sand (not all) there is some erosion on the course and some of the greens have suffered from the heat. All of that said, the course still plays well and the greens are not really bad. Every time I have gone out there in the past year I have seen improvements.

Greta course.

Great course. In great shape. A couple of greens had some bad spots, but the shaft made sure it was playable. Ball rolled very good. I will be back.

Bestt deal on Golfnow

Such a beautiful course with some very challenging holes....

Beautiful and challenging course. Condition of the course was very good. The greens were in fair shape. People need to fix ball marks. A couple of bunkers were under repair but overall an excellent layout, friendly and helpful staff. I would highly recommend this course.

Slow play

We quit after 9 holes because of the groups ahead of
us were very very slow. They look like beginners . We
went around them but ran into more slow beginners .
The groups spend a lot of time looking for balls in
woods , water and rough .
It took us 3 hours to play 9 holes .

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020