Sugarloaf Golf Club

Scorecard for Sugarloaf
Blue M: 73.7/129 345 485 225 368 587 446 233 449 441 3579 315 365 566 375 512 266 403 167 404 3373 6952
White M: 70.9/124 320 470 160 300 540 410 200 420 360 3180 300 320 530 350 490 220 380 150 380 3120 6300
Gold M: 68.2/116 310 460 150 290 510 400 190 410 350 3070 290 310 510 340 480 180 360 140 370 2980 6050
Red W: 68.3/119 300 450 140 280 500 340 180 330 340 2860 280 300 500 330 470 105 350 130 360 2825 5685

Year Built 1967
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1967) Bill Robinson (1967)

Carts Yes - included in green fee (with GPS)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Pennsylvania (2015 #7)

Philly Advisor

Nice layout, frindely staff, greens need attention.

This course is in the country away from everything. It’s quiet and the people, players and staff all have that small town kindness I appreciate. The layout is really good. Front nine is more open and exposed to wind. The back nine tightens up and has some woods,, hills, water and unique holes. It kept me interested throughout.

The price is hard to beat. 18 holes on a Friday afternoon for $20. The tee boxes, fairways and traps were all decent. The traps were well kept but not fine sand. Very small pebbles but it played consistently. The greens are the one knock on the course. Many needed healing. Seems all the rain left them splotchy, but they were mowed generally low. Because of the wet season balls didn’t roll in the fairways and the greens held shots very well.

We stayed for drinks and food and I wasn’t sure how it would be, as it’s open, friendly and warm, but dated. Well fool me. The soup was something I’d never heard of and loved, and the two flavors of wings we had were very good.

The afternoon was Enjoyable. Simply put. Now if you want higher quality greens and such, don’t go, but it wasn’t that bad and I enjoyed everything else. The operators, that I assumed are the owners, are genuinely nice.

Greens are failing, otherwise in good shape

The greens are in bad shape. Many Black and bare spots, old cups not growing back. They look like they were stressed and were unable to recover. While the greens were good and had pace, the dead and dying spots are very worrisome.

I overheard the greens keeper saying he had no idea what was causing the problem.

I’d give them a couple of weeks and hope they can get them fixed

Friendly staff, happy to oblige, but course needs help.

The back 9 is ok

Course is really open and is vulnerable to the wind. The front 9 was not a good experience when I played in mid-April 2017. Greens are hard as rock forcing you to hit the front of the green to let it roll out to the pin at the end of th green, after your ball bounces a foot off the ground after landing. The back 9 is a much better layout and course but still not great.

Philly Advisor

Nice staff, good layout

The staff were very friendly and helpful. It's quite remote and surrounded by farmland. The clubhouse was pretty good for being far out, and although I didn't eat, their food area, bar, and outside space would lure me back often if I lived close.

The layout was varied and it kept my attention. Elevation changes, a little water, trees, short and long holes. I was pleased with it.

The locals I came across were all very friendly, down to earth folks, making me want to come back. Which I will do each time I can.

Course conditions were good overall. I played about 5 weeks ago and can't recall specifics. That means it didn't tick me off or make me crazy excited. I simply remember a good round of golf with some nice folks. Simple...

Nice Course, just needs some water

Play played this course in the Freeland Open. The course layout is very nice, the Back nine is more wooded, while the front nine is more open. When we played the course was very firm and fast making it more difficult. Some more watering will make the green receptive to good shots and allow them to hold.

Breautiful course and friendly staff

We played here every year in October and we keep coming back when we are in the area. Pace of play is great. Fairways are in good shape. Tee time is ok and not great due to the lack of rain this summer. Course is great for all level of players with 4 different tee boxes. We finish the round less than 5 hrs. Staffs are extremely friendly.

Great Mountain Course - Worth The Ride

I finally got around to playing Sugarbush for the first time. This course is a Geoffrey Cornish design and is a beautiful layout that follows the 'lay of the land' which is a hallmark of Cornish as a designer. The course itself was in excellent shape. They were aerating the fairways during my round but had no impact on my play. The greens are very true and pretty fast with nice size and undulations. A word of caution - get a put rolling up over a mound toward the pin and the ball is going to carry well past the hole if it doesn't drop! For the big hitters: this course is 7,000 plus yards from the back tees. There are four par fours on the from side that AVERAGE 448 from the long tees plus one par three on the back at 266 with a forced carry over a lake uphill to the green!. But honestly, you'll get all you want out of the white tees! You will find no fancy clubhouse here and the staff is accommodating and friendly. It's tough to beat the price: it was $27 this date including cart! I'm glad I ended my summer tour of the 'great course architects' at Sugarbush. I'm sure the views will only be more spectacular as the leaves turn this fall.

A Killer Deal!!!!

A steal of a deal on GolfNow. This is an overall awesome course. I wish it was closer than 1 hour from my house. Played it twice this year and impressed both times. One of the hardest par 3s in the area, number 15. 210 over a creek to a slightly elevated two tier postage stamp green with trees on the right.

Been playing since I was a kid

This course NEVER fails to deliver an outstanding value and great day golfing. I took my three nephews and we had just an amazing day. Course is fairly wide open so you don't have to have a single digit handicap to enjoy. But it will challenge you. Course is ALWAYS is great shape. Greens roll well, fairways are in great shape and service is always first rate. I have moved out of the area but when I come back I always make this one of my stops.

I will be back

The staff was friendly and kind. The course was manicured beautifully. I highly recommend this course.

Fast and friendly

The pace of play was fast (under 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon). The greens rolled beautifully and fast. The staff was friendly, as were most of the tee shots. it had a nice mix of friendly holes and tough ones. The pin placements were tough but made it fun. Overall we had a great day.

Get Rrady for 6 Hour Round

Have played here 4 times this season. Every time it is over 5 hours. Yesterday was 6.

website hacked

When we checked in for our tee time we were told the course website was hacked into and there were numerous booked tee times (we were one of four with the same tee time). The staff did what they could to correct it by decreasing the bill and giving us free range ball. Overall the course was in good shape with fast greens. Being overbooked the pace of play was VERY SLOW (5 1/2 hours). I would recommend calling the course to check on your tee time when booking through GOLFNOW or any other website.

Very slow play

They double booked T times which made for a very slow round. We stopped playing after 4 1/2 hours and only being at hole 12.

Great LONG well kept course

If your looking for a long challenging course in central PA this is the place. The course is kept beautifully. Couldn't ask for more.

Quiet and off the beaten path

Great setting for a golf course. Quiet country setting with a challenging course. Variety of tees that can challenge the beginners to the advance players. Greens are huge and well maintained.

great course

Had a great time , course was in excellent shape for this early in the year, will probably play here a few more times this year.

A great value!

I was looking for quick fun golf and I found it at Sugarloaf.

Worth the ride

I live an hour away but it's worth the ride. The staff is friendly, the food is always good, and the course is always in great shape. The views are nice especially in the fall.

Hazleton, Pennsylvania