Hilton Head National Golf Club

4.6020588235 4.6 stars from 5 (753)

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Singles allowed: No
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Sprawling across 300 acres of lush, Carolina Lowcountry, Hilton Head National Golf Club has gained a reputation as being one of the area's best public courses. The course was a collaboration between Gary Player and Bobby Weed, who each designed a nine. Weed designed the front nine with the intention of creating a complement to the Player-designed back nine rather than making them too similar. He included larger greens with more dramatic undulations. The signature hole is the tricky sixth, which features the largest lake on the golf course bordering its entire right side and deep pot bunkers along the greensides. The back nine has many challenging holes as well, including the course's number one handicap hole, the par-5 seventh. It is the ninth that might be Hilton Head National's toughest though, with a deep marsh along the right side of a narrow fairway.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks brunch amazing food

"Worth playing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2018

Awesome layout.....very good condition compared to others we played

Response from Hilton Head National on 06/15/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational!

"Excellent As Always"

realasudxgift's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

I get down to Hilton Head about twice a year, and Hilton Head National is my go to course. Its always in great shape, its challenging without beating you up like some of the bigger name courses, which makes it fun to play, and its always a few dollars cheaper than the on island courses. I played Memorial Day and was paired up with a local named Joe who was a great guy. Course was in great shape, greens fast and smooth (even though it had rained rather hard the previous evening). Fairways and tees were cut or being cut and were full and in good shape as well. I really enjoy the course. Its pretty forgiving as far as being able to find and play your ball, but get out of position and it makes par hard to get. The course eases you in the the round. There is not a ton of forced carries over water, but the holes with water it is in play tight on the sides of the hole.(6,7, and 18 come to mind). There are more forced carries over sand (4 and 14). The par 3s are very challenging even though they are shorter holes, and the course has a good mix on doglegs, long, and short holes. Many of the traps around the green are very penal. Overall, this is one of, if not my favorite course I have ever played and I fully recommend it to anyone in the Hilton Head area.

Response from Hilton Head National on 06/01/2018:

Hi realasudxgift, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and are happy to hear about your positive experience with us, especially on a busy holiday weekend. We hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

jparrish's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

Played in the afternoon with few people on the course. Waited on the first few holes but after that didn’t really see anyone. Loved the layout and biggest plus for me was there is not one house or condo on the course... just golf. Course was in great shape from tee to green. Will be on my playlist every time I return.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi jparrish, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and are looking forward to the next one with us! Thanks for visiting Hilton Head National.

jackcohen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi jackcohen, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"A must play"

Richard3852603's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Definitely want to play if you’re in Hilton Head or Savannah. The course was manicured and the greens were fast and true. Not a lot of water, but shot shaping will lead you to good scores. The staff was super friendly and the 19th hole was great. The carts had gps. We played in under 4 hours. I definitely recommend this course if your in the area and it should be added to a Hilton Head golf trip.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi Richard3852603, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"One of my favourites"

scolars's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is the second time playing this trip and would play it every day if I could. It suits my eye and playing from the proper tees is a golf challenge. The conditions are immaculate and the greens challenging. All the staff is super friendly and the practice facilities are top notch. The deal on Golf Now makes it the best value in the area.

"Maintencene=Perfection"

Samuel8422228's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

Fairways and greens were mowed perfectly. You were actually rewarded for hitting the fairway and greens rolled smoooooth. Really secluded course; no houses or buildings. The 2 gentlemen who worked that day were super friendly and appreciative of my business. Go play HH Nat’l!

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/21/2018:

Hi Samuel8422228, thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Great course—pricey"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

Hilton head national is a very nice course. The putting greens were true and had good speed to them. The layout of the course was challenging but not brutal. My only criticism of the course is that it was equally in good shape to that of old south and dolphin head But almost twice the cost.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/16/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We're looking forward to your next one with us! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Excellent layout"

u000005482092's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

Course well maintained and layout fair. Greens were immaculate and speedy. I’ll be back.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/16/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Course conditions. Overall play"

gc432952912's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

Layout of course was very challenging , especially from the black tees.(6750 yards).. Course was in a lot better shape then Golden Bear @ Indigo.. Great experience and would place Hilton Head National again.. Clubhouse staff was great... Even had a photographer on course taking a picture of one of your swings and got the 5 by 7 photo back after I got done.. Great add feature..

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/14/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/10/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback about your round and are glad to hear you enjoyed it. We're looking forward to your next one with us. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational!

"The best course I play when in HH"

scolars's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

After 18 hours of driving straight from Ontario, we showered, had lunch, put on the golf duds and went straight to the course for the afternoon. Got the Hot Deal on Golf Now. My golfing partner scored his first ever hole in one this day ! It is now his favourite course also. Everything about the course and staff is first class. For the price we got it is the best value in the area. I would recommend all to try to get out for a round.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/30/2018:

Hi scolars, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and for driving so far to play our course! We're so happy to hear it was worth the long drive and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"Nice layout with friendly staff"

Roy2406614's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018
Used cart Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Weather was perfect for the 8:45 tee time. 118 slope from the whites and about 126 from the blues. Fairways were good, greens were a little slower than I'm used to but ran true. No houses on the course which was nice. Mosquitos were not a problem, but the no-see-ums got me. I found out after the round they sell no-see-um bug spray in the pro shop. My recommendation would be to buy a bottle. All in all a good time at a nice off-island course.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/09/2018:

Hi Roy2406614, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and appreciate your feedback! We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Fabulous morning of Golf"

Camellia10's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Visiting Hilton Head for the weekend. Had time to play one course. Read reviews and chose HHN. Reviews on GA made the difference and was spot on. Awesome day of golf. Was paired with a super nice gentleman. Course in great condition. TifEagle greens like no other. Wide fairways and challenging greens made for fun day. Would strongly recommend. Will definitely return. Half the price as other HHI courses, but twice as good.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/07/2018:

Hi Camellia10, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Beautiful layout."

Blainey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

The best thing about this course is probably the layout. There is not a single home to be found here. Challenging course with water , set among the beautiful South Carolina forest. The conditions were very good for this area (because everything here is so dry and burnt) We got a great "Hot Deal" and yes I would strongly recommend this beauty. One thing missing though...a great patio overlooking the 18th green where you can enjoy a cold beverage.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/07/2018:

Hi Blainey, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/07/2018:

Hello, we appreciate the great review and hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"A favorite in the area!"

mtxgeorge's avatar

Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We hardly saw anyone on the course this trip. It was pretty windy, and the course was in incredible shape! Fairway grass was in and greens rolled perfect! It's a must for every trip down!

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/02/2018:

Hi mtxgeorge, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon! Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"Great facility"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

Course layout was fun. Challenging but not overwhelming. Greens and fairways in great shape. Friendly staff. Course was empty for twilight round at 4pm. Worth the $65

Response from Hilton Head National on 04/23/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed a nice twilight round with us. We hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNationa.

"HH National"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

Playief HH National 20 years ago and decided to go back to see if it was as good as I remembered. It is and continues to be a favorite on HH island. Highly recommend it. Will definitely play again when in this area. Good condition. Great layout.

Response from Hilton Head National on 04/23/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed another round with us 20 years later. We hope to see you again for another one soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.

"Avid glfer"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

Conditions good, greens good, excellent pace of play,. Love it

Response from Hilton Head National on 04/23/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational!