Hilton Head National Golf Club

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Singles allowed: No
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Sprawling across 300 acres of lush, Carolina Lowcountry, Hilton Head National Golf Club has gained a reputation as being one of the area's best public courses. The course was a collaboration between Gary Player and Bobby Weed, who each designed a nine. Weed designed the front nine with the intention of creating a complement to the Player-designed back nine rather than making them too similar. He included larger greens with more dramatic undulations. The signature hole is the tricky sixth, which features the largest lake on the golf course bordering its entire right side and deep pot bunkers along the greensides. The back nine has many challenging holes as well, including the course's number one handicap hole, the par-5 seventh. It is the ninth that might be Hilton Head National's toughest though, with a deep marsh along the right side of a narrow fairway.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks brunch amazing food

"Typical Hilton Head Course"

rathke's avatar
Arizona Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018

Played this course on a Friday with my brother on a trip to Hilton Head Island. Got a great deal on Golf Now but was very disappointed in the conditions of the course . Part of this was due to having played Harbor Town and Atlantic Dunes in days previous as they were both in excellent shape with smooth greens. This course was more like the munis I play in Phoenix with semi green fairways greens that look good but were bumpy and somewhat slow. Would not recommend course if you are traveling from out of state as their are far better courses in the area. Again got a great deal on course but others were available as well on the day and would have booked one of them instead.

Response from Hilton Head National on 02/26/2018:

Hi rathke, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear the conditions of the course we're up to your expectations during your round. We appreciate you giving us a shot! Thanks for visiting Hilton Head National.

Commented on 03/07/2018

Wow. Very surprised by this review. Played this course 3/2/18. Great shape overall and thought the greens were really nice. Oh well. He must have had a bad day.

Commented on 03/01/2018

OK, this guy needs a reality check. The courses he is comparing HH Nat'l too run anywhere from 3 to 4 times the cost. If his game matches those prices he should stick to the high end and not try to compare more affordable courses to them. Jeezes, get a life!! I defy him to find a nicer course at the same price in Hilton Head!!

"Great layout"

u674203712's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018

Course was in very good condition with the greens smooth but pretty slow.

"Glad we came back...."

jerrynthewriter's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018

We've had a family renunion on HHI for the last 31 years; we've played HHN probably 28 or 29 of those years. It's a great layout, challenging all levels of golfers.

Honestly, we very nearly scratched it off of our "must play" list because of the way we were treated by the rangers last year (they were on us unnecessarily like white on rice about pace of play, at one point insisting that we "skip a hole"!).

I'm glad we decided to write of last year as an anomaly! The staff was over-the-top friendly. We saw rangers all over the course, but whenever they stopped it was to say ask how we were doing and to remind us to have fun!

And fun we had. This is a great, great track. A good mix of mid- to long-par 4s, par 5s that are not quite reachable in two, but are not "tricked out" in any way (that is, you can bang away with your driver and 3-wood and "almost" get home). HINT: Play the blues!

Course -- as always -- is in PERFECT condition.

We will definitely be back next year.

"Best public course in Bluffton."

jameslouisgibson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2018

I'm a local resident and have had the pleasure of playing the course twice. Challenging but fun golfing for any skill level. I would pick this course over any in the Bluffton area. Great and entertaining ventage pictures of Gary Player, Arnie, Roger Maltbie, Fuzzy, and course architects in the clubhouse. If you're looking for a difficult, risk/reward course with a bit more water go next door to Old South. Swing away!

-James G.

alldaygolf65's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

Played at 2 pm on a very warm afternoon but didn’t mind the heat because we enjoyed the round so much. Good layout, friendly staff, very few golfers on the course and greens that rolled true. Will make it a priority to get back next time in HH.

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/13/2018:

Hi alldaygolf65, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your round and are looking forward to seeing you when you visit the Hilton Head area again. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

"Clouse was in good shape and fun to play."

Brent6385679's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2018

Good course, good value, nice staff and in excellent condition. Play it down and enjoy

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/11/2018:

Hi Brent6385679, thanks for the kind comments and great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

"All around great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2018

We arrived to the Hilton Head National GC on a Sunday morning around 9:30am for a 10am tee time and were surprised to find ourselves on the first tee as a double with a threesome in front of us. Judging from the other courses we’d played during the week we were expecting a 5-hour round but we ended up playing 18 beautiful holes in less than 3 hours. The fairways and greens were in pristine condition - my only complaint was about not hitting those nice fairways nearly as often as I should’ve... (They are narrow at times.)

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/10/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear the pace of play was so great for you and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

"Good Course"

hathajo3434's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2018

Golf course was in good shape. Marshalls on the course were making sure pace of play was good. I’d recommend the course to anyone who visits. I visit Hilton Head several times a year for vacation, and this course is one of the best.

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/08/2018:

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again for another round soon!

"Nice golf couse"

Backoffg's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

Great place to play nice greens very we’ll maintained will defitnatly play here again.

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/07/2018:

Hi, thanks for the kind comments about your round! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/09/2018:

Thanks for the great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

"Gem in hhi"

u207541120's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

This course was in excellent shape! Carved through the trees and no house on the course! Beautiful piece of property. Fairways immaculate , greens the same. Only hang up was the pace of play. Waited on shots. Course needs to put twosomes together for better course management to speed up play. Golf is great game . It’s away to meet people when your from out of town who also love the game of golf.

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/08/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and apologize the pace of play wasn't up to expectations. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon! Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"Awesome"

Roadkill7126's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018

This course was amazing the staff was unbelievable if you're going to play Lowcountry golf in Hilton Head this is the place to go for your money I will return.

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/05/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We're appreciate the kind comments about your round and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational!

Chick2706631's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 07/03/2018:

Hi Chick2706631, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National!

"Wonderful"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2018

Played from the White tees and it was fantastic. Great condition and a really great layout! I will play here every time I cone back to the island!!

Response from Hilton Head National on 06/21/2018:

Hello, we appreciate the great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"Worth playing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2018

Awesome layout.....very good condition compared to others we played

Response from Hilton Head National on 06/15/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational!

"Excellent As Always"

realasudxgift's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

I get down to Hilton Head about twice a year, and Hilton Head National is my go to course. Its always in great shape, its challenging without beating you up like some of the bigger name courses, which makes it fun to play, and its always a few dollars cheaper than the on island courses. I played Memorial Day and was paired up with a local named Joe who was a great guy. Course was in great shape, greens fast and smooth (even though it had rained rather hard the previous evening). Fairways and tees were cut or being cut and were full and in good shape as well. I really enjoy the course. Its pretty forgiving as far as being able to find and play your ball, but get out of position and it makes par hard to get. The course eases you in the the round. There is not a ton of forced carries over water, but the holes with water it is in play tight on the sides of the hole.(6,7, and 18 come to mind). There are more forced carries over sand (4 and 14). The par 3s are very challenging even though they are shorter holes, and the course has a good mix on doglegs, long, and short holes. Many of the traps around the green are very penal. Overall, this is one of, if not my favorite course I have ever played and I fully recommend it to anyone in the Hilton Head area.

Response from Hilton Head National on 06/01/2018:

Hi realasudxgift, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and are happy to hear about your positive experience with us, especially on a busy holiday weekend. We hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

jparrish's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

Played in the afternoon with few people on the course. Waited on the first few holes but after that didn’t really see anyone. Loved the layout and biggest plus for me was there is not one house or condo on the course... just golf. Course was in great shape from tee to green. Will be on my playlist every time I return.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi jparrish, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and are looking forward to the next one with us! Thanks for visiting Hilton Head National.

jackcohen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2018

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi jackcohen, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"A must play"

Richard3852603's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Definitely want to play if you’re in Hilton Head or Savannah. The course was manicured and the greens were fast and true. Not a lot of water, but shot shaping will lead you to good scores. The staff was super friendly and the 19th hole was great. The carts had gps. We played in under 4 hours. I definitely recommend this course if your in the area and it should be added to a Hilton Head golf trip.

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/31/2018:

Hi Richard3852603, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Hilton Head National.

"One of my favourites"

scolars's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is the second time playing this trip and would play it every day if I could. It suits my eye and playing from the proper tees is a golf challenge. The conditions are immaculate and the greens challenging. All the staff is super friendly and the practice facilities are top notch. The deal on Golf Now makes it the best value in the area.

"Maintencene=Perfection"

Samuel8422228's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

Fairways and greens were mowed perfectly. You were actually rewarded for hitting the fairway and greens rolled smoooooth. Really secluded course; no houses or buildings. The 2 gentlemen who worked that day were super friendly and appreciative of my business. Go play HH Nat’l!

Response from Hilton Head National on 05/21/2018:

Hi Samuel8422228, thanks for the great review! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing #HiltonHeadNational.