Style Links

The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels.

Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views."

The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play.

Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.

Old South Golf Links

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.

Great layout and staff, greens in rough shape

Really cool layout and enjoyed the signature holes 7, 8, 16. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful as well. Tee boxes and fairways were in pretty good shape. The greens were rough, many of them having several patches with no or little grass. Pin placements were set to avoid these areas as much as possible, and the greens still rolled pretty well overall, but still disappointing considering the cost to play and the conditions on neighboring courses in the region. I’d play it again on a hot deal, but wouldn’t pay full price for it unless the greens are improved.

Very beautiful golf course

This is an extremely immaculate golf course that is not only beautiful but challenging. Being a journalist, I had the opportunity to photograph a diverse part of the Lowcountry wildlife and birds. It was really an enjoyable experience and I would highly recommend it to any visitors to the Bluffton South Carolina area!

Greens in bad shape! Course has couple tough holes requiring positional shots with little information or markings to judge distances needed to carry and how far. You can hit!

Commented on 05/27/2020

Greens are transitioning to summer grass. Aerification next week will fix those issues. All will be well in a couple of weeks.

Quality & Beauty

Wow. What a wonderful find. I was reading a review for another local course and saw this course was recommended. I’m couldn’t have been at a better place today. Phenomenal trees, water, wildlife and course layout. Greens and sand were awesome. Definitely challenging. Highly recommend!!! Enjoy. Jim

Commented on 05/20/2020

We are so happy you found us Jim and hope we will always be on your "must play" list when you are in the low-country of SC.

3 groups on tee box

5 holes. 2.5 hours. 12 people stacked on the tee box. 5 minutes between every shot. Terrible. No refund. Never again. 5 holes for $79 and $10 for range balls. And a huge tree 20 yards in front of a tee box.?? :not my ideal Sunday.

Commented on 05/20/2020

Sure if you’d like to reimburse me the $89 i spent and show your sincerity I’ll gladly give it another try one day. It cost most $18 a hole to play. I’ve suffered hardships like everybody else. That was my golf allowance for the week. Reimbursement was like a foreign word when i discussed it with the starter. Very disappointed

Commented on 05/20/2020

We regret you didn't enjoy your round at Old South. During this unusual season we have many golfers who wish to play as singles and twosomes which greatly disrupts the pace of play. Without our usual staff of rangers it can be a problem to keep play moving smoothly. We hope you play again when all is back to normal.

Very good layout

Very nice course. Many interesting holes. Nice scenery. My only criticism relates to the greens. Slow and inconsistent. Otherwise a course I would recommend.

Commented on 05/20/2020

We appreciate the 4 stars. The greens are transitioning to summer bermuda grass and due for aerification in 2 weeks. That will speed them up and return consistency. Try us again later in June.

Commented on 05/12/2020

Old South does offer great variety and beautiful views. The greens are transitioning from winter grass to summer bermuda so will improve going forward. We hope you get to play again soon.

Love this course!

Absolutely beautiful course and well worth the money

Commented on 05/12/2020

We are so glad you make the drive from Savannah to play Old South. We appreciate the 5 star review and hope to see you playing here again soon.

First Timers

This was our groups first time playing this course and we enjoyed the experience very much. The course was in good shape and provided the right amount of challenges. We will return soon.

Commented on 05/12/2020

We are so glad you gave Old South a try and we hope to see you back soon!

Disappointed

Nice asset. Fairways in good condition, tee boxes in OK condition and greens in poor condition.

Commented on 05/12/2020

We regret you were disappointed but May is the month the winter grass dies out and the summer bermuda takes over. The transition is not always perfect. We hope you play again later this summer.

Anonymous

Fun layout, great value, nice staff

I recently played Old South with my neighbor. I live in a nearby golf community but our golf courses were closed for the covid-9 crisis. I love playing Old South becausel it's in a beautiful setting and is fun to play. The staff is very nice and helpful. They have a good breakfast available. If you are a Beaufort County resident they have an exceptional deal to play.

Awesome

Good challlenge on shot making all good the greens
Need work ok but not best

Commented on 05/12/2020

Thank you for your 5 stars! The greens are in transition from winter to summer grass and will improve with warmer weather. We hope you will play again.

May 1st at Old South

The course is a great one with several tricky holes and lots of water. It is also a fair course and can be played by all levels of player.
One or two of the greens were not in the best shape today.

Commented on 05/12/2020

Thanks for your 4 star review. Greens transition in May from winter grass to summer bermuda so there may be a few issues until this is complete.

Plays Twice a year

Enjoyable Course

Doesn’t have to play long, but plenty of trouble if you are not playing well. Course was in good shape and staff was very friendly. Social distancing was good.

Commented on 04/30/2020

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your round at Old South. Thanks for the 5 - star review and keep us in mind for another round.

Nice course. Warning: Denim not allowed

Old South is a quality public golf course. Be advised, however, that denim and denim like clothing products cannot be worn on Old South. If you arrive at the course wearing denim or denim like clothing, you will be informed of the no denim policy when you attempt to check in in the pro shop. Your choices then are to either leave and return not wearing denim or denim like products , or purchase a pair of non-denim shorts or pants in the pro shop.

Commented on 04/29/2020

We appreciate your 4 star review and regret you were not aware of the "no denim" policy. That has been a long standing rule at Old South and is standard for most golf courses in resort areas.

One of the best in area.

My favorite course. In the Hilton Head area. The scenery is stunning in its natural beauty and the course is well maintained and laid out to take advantage of that beauty. Many challenging but doable holes along with some wide forgiving fairways. Jus a fun course to play and be on. Staff always friendly as well and reasonably priced

Commented on 04/29/2020

We love being on the top of your favorites list for golf in the Hilton Head area. Thanks for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 04/29/2020

Thanks for your 5 star recommendation. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 04/29/2020

We look forward to seeing you at Old South again. Thanks for the 5 star review.

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020