Old South Golf Links

Style: Links

Caddies: No

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels.

Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views."

The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play.

Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks brunch 19th hole scenic views

"Nice course, watch out for GATORS!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

From the back tees, the course has some demanding tee shots and some risk reward holes. The greens were slower than the looked with a lot of grain. The green were pleasantly receptive to all types of approach shots. The staff was friendly and helpful and the beverage cart rode the course frequently.

"Must play on Hilton head!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

Beautiful scenic and challenging course was lots of marshland, several water carries, abundance of water fowl. The course is in great shape and the pace of play was excellent when we played, way under four hours. The marshals and all the staff was very friendly and helpful .

Commented on 05/15/2018

We appreciate your 5-star review. Conditions are great and our staff strives to accommodating. We hope you return for another round at Old South. soon.

"Excellent day"

ScottDov123's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

From the moment we arrived til when we left the course it was an excellent day. The staff at the bag drop and pro shop were great. The starter went out of his way to be helpful and informative. The course was in great condition. The price through golf now was very reasonable and fair. Planning to return to Hilton Head in late June and hope to play again.

Commented on 05/15/2018

We are so glad you are planning to come back. There will be no aerification in June unlike many other courses. Our staff appreciates your comments and the 5 star rating.

RomeoSierra's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

Commented on 05/15/2018

We appreciate your 4-star review and hope you return to play again.

"A must visit course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

This was my first time at Old South. A very nice experience for $50. The course was in very nice shape. The greens were a little soft but only when you hit higher shots. The greens were a little slow but they were very true. They reflected what the practice green was like so you knew what was out there.

The folks working there were great. Depending on the weather this week, I hope to visit them again. In my opinion, a must play.

Commented on 05/15/2018

Thanks for the 5 star rating and we are pleased you enjoyed your first round at Old South Golf Links.

"Love the Old South!!!!"

panuthos's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

Listen- frankly this golf course just might have the best views for the value of any course I've ever played!!! If you are looking for low-country scenery and fantastic golf- and dont want to spend big $- just go play Old South & thank me after! Loved it there- from start to finish!!!

Commented on 05/15/2018

We love that you loved Old South. The views are spectacular especially at high tide and the staff strives to make everyone welcome. We hope to see you again.

"Fun course"

mechsuprv's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Scenic layout along Intercostal waterway. Nice doglegs over marshes. Fairways & greens pretty nice, some tee boxes & traps just OK. Nice wide fairways for high handicap golfers. Overall a fun course to play. Would play again. I got a nice hot deal price for a morning tee time.

Commented on 05/15/2018

Thanks for the 4 star rating and keep checking for those hot deals to play again.

"Fun course"

Randal1055137's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

First time playing and was pleased. Luckily was paired with some locals who knew the course and were able to help us with shot selection. Fun course. Good condition. Enjoyed the round and would like to play it again.

"Great Course!"

Andrew3883365's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

Great Course, even better conditions, and incredible views. Best value around Hilton Head.

Commented on 05/07/2018

Thanks for your 5 star review. We look forward to your next visit and be sure to bring your friends!

tomlintz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

Commented on 05/07/2018

Thanks for your 4 star review. We hope to see you again.

"Except for that one Ranger"

kevinmanley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

We loved the golf course. My brother and myself and our 2 sisters played 36 holes most of the week we were in Hilton Head. It will always be our favorite but there was one ranger who decided, despite the fact that we had to wait on every tee box, to single us out because of the two females in our group...on the 15th hole he decided we were backing the course up! The group of men in front of us had no one in front of them!! Anyway, course is great but could do without the sexism from a single ranger who did a poor job of rangering!

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thank you for your comments. We regret that you felt single-out by the ranger. By the circumstances you described it should not have happened. It has been my experience that women often play faster than men. Please don't let that keep you from coming back!

"Great Day at Old South Tuesday May 1, 2018"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

Everything was perfect for our foursome,. Great fairways and greens and the staff was wonderful (Amy, Cindy and Sue). Great breakfast and lunch. The bag drop person was also exceptional. Pro shop is well stocked and great quality. We will be sure to play this course when we come back next year.

Commented on 05/07/2018

We appreciate all your great comments. We strive to stand out with exceptional conditions, service and quality. Thanks for the 5 stars and we'll see you next year!

"Had a blast."

benwoodward's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018

My wife and I had a blast playing this course for the first time. Course was in great condition and offered Great views along with fun and challenging holes. Couldn’t ask for better experience. Will definitely be going back at some point. Thanks Old South for making our anniversary weekend a great one.

Commented on 05/02/2018

We are glad to have been part of your celebration weekend and hope to see you again for another round. Thanks for your 5-star review.

"Nice Layout with some target golf"

Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I was surprised at the conditions with the only real green grass around the greens. I played the course in late April. Perhaps courses in the area are still recovering from weather. Overall the course was fun. Nice layout. Some target golf but I liked the course. The greens were very soggy and overwatered which surprised me too. Greens were rolling likely below an 8.

Response from Old South on 05/03/2018:

Thank you for the 4-Star review, we appreciate the great feedback regarding our course conditions, especially after the weather we have received. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Response from Old South on 05/02/2018:

Thank you for the 5-Star review! Please come back and see us again soon.

"Great conditions"

u000001792057's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Absolutely in great condition, enjoyed playing the course but not sure I would go back because of pace of play. Extremely slow waited on every shot

Commented on 04/30/2018

We appreciate your comments and regret you experienced slow play. There were several large groups that slowed down play. We hope to see you again on a day that is not so busy.

"Best course for the money"

joe2179158's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

I always play Old South when in Hilton Head. It has some of the best conditions of any courses around in April.

Commented on 04/30/2018

Thanks for the 5-star review. We are glad to have your continued support and hope to see you here again soon.

"Lots of forced carries and target golf"

daa2202's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

As the review title states, Old South has a lot of forced carries over marsh and several holes are straight target golf - hit over marsh to the fairway, and hit over more marsh to the green. That doesn't do wonders for pace of play, either. Greens are relatively slow and grainy but rolled well overall. This was our second time playing Old South and we didn't like it as well this time - it's worth a try, but we're not sure we're going to do it for a third time.

Commented on 04/30/2018

We appreciate your comments and regret pace of play was more than we wish. The drop areas over the marsh are intended to help keep the pace reasonable. We did have an exceptionally busy day that can cause delays. Please try us on a day that is not sold out for a better experience.

"Fun Track"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Fun course to play. My first time so they gave me a yardage book when I checked in which was helpful. We we're also smartly paired with another twosome who had played before and that really helped. Loved the greens which held and rolled true. White tees get the most play and it showed on a few where it was hard to find a level spot with grass though it was fine. Bunkers were inconsistent so don't hit in them is the advice I would give to myself. Staff was great!

Commented on 04/24/2018

Old South is fun and friendly! We are glad you enjoyed your day. Tee boxes are on the agenda for some repairs and bunkers are maintained with new sand regularly. We hope you play again and appreciate the 4-star review.

"Good course with challenging holes"

tracyeds's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Had a nice time playing this course. Got off early and played with two out of town guys who were wonderful to have his partners. Each hole presented a challenge with lots of marsh to go over, greens were rolling wonderful and fairways were decent. A few holes were true dog legs that made you think on the shot to take. Would definitely play again. Oh and there was wind! Lots of it the day we played!

Commented on 04/24/2018

We're glad you enjoyed your day at Old South and appreciate the 5-star review. The breeze usually kicks up in the afternoon because we are along the intra-coastal waterway. We hope you get to play again.