Style Links

The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels.

Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views."

The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play.

Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.

Old South Golf Links

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse

Good Golf course

Only knock on this course would be that none of the tee's were level. They were in good shape but just not level. Otherwise very nice track.

In decent shape

Tee boxes a little disappointing. Over used areas and few flat lies for a tee box. Greens sanded and over seeded making putting challenging. Otherwise course was in good shape. Some wet areas in short grass.

Fun course

Awesome course and on very good shape for this time of year. Friendly for younger golfers with kids tees at every hole. We had a blast as intermediate golfers.

Under par

You can save money here but it’s really not worth your time. Quirky 90 degree doglegs and flat greens. Call before you go, I paid too much to play on sanded greens and didn’t see it anywhere in announcements or would not have gone. Staff was nice but they started us early and I wasn’t even warmed up. Lots of bugs compared to other courses I’ve played. I would not play here again even if I lived here.

Offers Many Interesting Holes

I have just gotten back into golf after some 12 years away from it, so am working back into golfing shape. This was the most challenging course I have played since returning to the game,, but I have to say that almost every hole was very interesting and fun to play. . Course condition quite good. One criticism would be that distances from the green were not marked very well (other than 150 yard markers). Also, figuring out the distance to think about in order to hit some of the landing areas would have been impossible had I not been playing with a twosome who know the course and used a distance meter. I would have appreciated the snack cart appearing before the 15th hole. Staff could not have been friendlier. I would recommend the course to anyone, although I found it quite challenging.

Had a good time

The course was is pretty good shape. The greens were a bit slow and small which made it more difficult. There are some unique holes that I enjoyed. Would go again.

Great Value - Starter was unpleasant

Nice course layout with challenging and memorable holes. Fairways, greens, traps in nice shape, tees in poor shape. Good value for the money. Pro shop employee Doug was very flexible in Switching our reservation date and time. The Starter/Range staffer could use some customer service training. The Refreshment Cart staffer was very pleasant and helpful.

Great value

Really great value. This course would be 2x the price on the island. It has amazing marsh views on 4 holes. We played In under 4 hours. Great replay deals, too.

Save your money, and time.

#1 - I usually do not write bad reviews on courses unless it is truly warranted. Unfortunately, I must write about my experience here..
With that said, Pro shop personnel were OK. The rest was downhill.
No coolers whatsoever. nothing liquids of your own. Signs posted indicating all beverages must be bought inside. No water on course either.
Well, OK, . They got you, captured audience if you will.
Starter had no personality. His problem not mine. Directed us to start on #10. I had read reviews about horrors of starting on back nine and overbooking issues and the hassles it causes. My day was no different. My bad because I didn't heed the review warnings. Drink cart lady came by early on, smiled as she drove by without asking if we needed anything. Huh?
Never saw her again until the second nine.
As to the slow play, we felt the need to call and inquire about any marshal on the course. got the reply, he is out there somewhere. Well, OK. Maybe he should do his job and regulate pace of play. They even had signs posted to play at a good pace to prevent slow play. Oh, I forgot about their preference to overbook ($$$) ..
Marshall showed up later and asked how things were. We informed him of slow pace of play. His response indicated that that was pretty much the norm and we should just enjoy or day. Right!
Later, he came by and asked if we were paying well. Response was no BC of slow play etc. His drove away without comment. Came by later again asking if we were playing/scoring good. Again, informed him of slow pace and no chance of getting any rhythm. Response was basically 'make the best of it.'
This course will NEVER see me again. there are far too many other courses to play.
This was a one and done. Period.
BEWARE.
OH, and forget replying with any half hearted canned response from management or whoever. Not interested.

We will not be back!

We plan on golfing at this course every year during our Anniversary Vacation. We had a reserved tee time and then we were paired with a very nice couple from New Jersey. We traveled to Hilton Head from Pennsylvania so we combined our clubs into one bag to save room in the car. After the staff loading our bag and I tipped him he inquired if we wanted a 2nd bag? I advised that we were able to fit the clubs that we need in one bag and that we would be fine. The course was cart path only during the time that we played, and the Starter made it a point to scold me for only having one bag on the cart! I inquired why was it an issue, especially since it was cart path only! He advised that it was for pace of play. I advised him that we never hold anyone up on the course and with it being cart path only, that the single bag would remain with the cart anyway.!

Long story short the Starter intervened and caused nuisance when it certainly was not warranted! Old South Golf Course will no longer be plagued with our business and enjoy dual bag golfers moving forward!
Respectfully,