Style Links

The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels.

Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views."

The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play.

Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.

Old South Golf Links

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.

Beautiful but Deadly

Nothing like thinking you might die on every shot to force you to focus on hitting a quality shot. It’s not enough that the course is ridiculously tight in some areas, but when there are gators lurking at every corner you better make quality and short work of every shot. Otherwise, you are super brave when you turn your back to the water and marshlands.

I played really well. I did bogey 7 times, but I birdied twice to offset the damage. The course doesn’t play links like due to all the wet weather recently, but the greens are slow and you are bound to over read the breaks on most holes due to the grain actually holding most putts up versus breaking how you expect them to.

I will totally be back over Thanksgiving.

Commented on 09/02/2019

We are glad you enjoyed your round and plan to come back. The alligators have been here as long as the golf course with no issues....just look and don't approach!

Fun to Play

There are enough challenging holes to keep things interesting. Sharp doglegs, carries over marshes off the tee, views of the intercoastal on several holes, etc. I've played twice this year and both times was greeted by a huge gator lying on a floating green next to the putting area.

Commented on 09/02/2019

Thanks for your 5 star review.
We often have 2 alligators on that float! We hope to see you again for another round.

Commented on 08/29/2019

Thanks for the 5 - star review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

First Time on this track and definitely not the last

In a nutshell, our round at Old South was everything one could ask for. Great course conditions - definitely the best fairways anywhere in the area, greens rolled true and the course presented enough natural challenges to make one really think about each shot. Played from the blue tees (6300 yards / 130 slope).

A nice touch when playing the course the first time - let the clubhouse know and they will comp a yardage book - which you really need. No real blind shots, but a number of forced carries. Playing the correct side of fairways definitely makes the difference in approaches to the greens. #8 and #16 have specific landing zones off the tee that set up a second forced carry into the green.

The course has a bit of the feel of Harbour Town on Hilton Head. Wooded in places, tidal marsh areas, water in play on at least 8 holes and rolling terrain all rolled into one nice track..

Great staff. Definitely will be back.

My golf round

The starter was a control freak. Forced us to play with another group. Chased another player down and made him come back to the first tee. We had to wait in the heat for 20 for the starts to allow us to tee off.

Outside of this the course was nice and the clubhouse staff was great.

Commented on 08/26/2019

Thanks for your positive and negative comments. The starter is charged with assisting in pace of play by pairing twosomes and singles which keeps the pace better for everyone. We apologize if he was less than friendly...that should not happen.

Commented on 08/26/2019

Thanks for your 4 star review!

Disappointed

Play here every time I come to HHI. Pace of play was terrible almost 5 hrs went out at 8:10. The layout is wonderful but the greens are so slow it hard to get the ball to the hole. They need to do something to get the pace quicker and get he greens quicker

Commented on 08/26/2019

Our pace of play is usually 4 hours and 20 minutes so we appreciate your comments letting us know that is not what you experienced. Greens are being addressed by our maintenance department with new procedures so there will be an improvement in the future.

One of my Favorites at HHI

First off, this has always been one of my favorite courses in the area. My litmus test on a layout is how memorable the holes are. Some courses, many holes look alike and after a round you cannot remember most of them. I could remember every hole here after my first round here. There is a good mix of holes in terms of length, difficulty, etc. The time of year I am here is usually aerification time, so rarely are the greens smooth when I am here. However, I will say I have seen a decline in the overall quality of the greens the last couple of years. Not bad, but not like some other courses in the area, particularly HH National next door. Despite that, I love the layout and views so much, it is a must play for me every year when vacationing down here.

Commented on 08/26/2019

Thanks for your comments and the 4 star review. Our maintenance department is addressing the greens with new procedures to improve them. It will take some time so we hope to see you again.

Nice people

Staff were very nice. Played right after greens were punched but there was a discount to reflect that. Greens were still true and fair but of course slow as expected. Fairways in good shape. Only real complaint is that it was not forewarned that there were a lot of forced carries and if you hit left or right the rough gets thick very fast, so there is a greater chance of a lost ball compared to other courses. The description emphasizes views of water- if you are a 30 hdcp like me, be aware that your ball is likely to get an even better view of the water. Overall a solid course best suited to golfers looking for a fair but tough challenge.

Commented on 08/26/2019

We appreciate the 4-star review and now that you know the layout your next round should be more enjoyable. We do have a course guide in the Pro Shop that will give you information on the several forced carries. We hope to see you again.

Course in over all pretty good shape , but the greens poor . To bad because the fairways were perfect .
If you don’t like grainy slow greens i’d Go elsewhere

Commented on 08/08/2019

Thanks for your comments. We are working on the greens to improve their quality but it does take a little time for them to respond. We hope you give Old South a try in the fall.

Greens

Greens are better. No worries. And all were friendly.

Commented on 08/08/2019

We appreciate the 4 star rating and hope you return for another round.

Fun Course

Had a great time playing this course while on vacation. Read several reviews prior to our round and thought about cancelling because of the discussion about poor green conditions; however, I thought the greens were in great condition. Some were under repair but never did we have an issue. Felt a bit hassled by course assistance throughout the round but understand the importance of pace of play. Overall, we thought the course was great in terms of layout (some really challenging holes and some wide open holes), condition, and value.

Commented on 08/08/2019

We hope you become a repeat customer. We do try to give good value for your golfing dollars and are glad you enjoyed Old South.

Great Course, Great Value

First time playing. Really nice course and facilities. Great value. Maybe my favorite course near HHI.

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thanks for taking the time to let us and others know your thoughts regarding Old South Golf Links. We are glad you enjoyed you day with us and hope to see again soon.

cherabe

Starter was very friendly an very honest. After practicing on putting green I asked if the conditions where the same out on the course. Greens extremely disappointing. I would not book another round here on GolfNow unless I called the course and asked about green conditions. Have played other courses on Island for same price in MUCH better condition. Unfortunate because the layout is very nice.

Commented on 07/22/2019

We appreciate your honest review. It has been a difficult year for our greens and another aerification is scheduled for early August. This should go a long way to bring the greens back to optimal conditions for fall, winter and spring. We hope to see you again in September.

Old South

First time playing this course. Neat layout. Fairways were immaculate. Some of the greens had bare/bumpy/rough spots but pins.

Get a new starter

Very nice course and layout. Good pace of play. Greens were not great but July in South Carolina so not a shock. What would make me reconsider playing her again was the starter. Very unpleasant at the start and beyond rude at the turn when he basically said we had played the first nine to fast. I think it was 5 minutes to soon and they had a group going off in front of us. It was really not a big deal to us to wait but the way we were treated would be a great lesson in poor customer service

Good time

We had a good time playing our round at Old South. Course is challenging enough for average golfers. Greens were definitely stressed from the heat/weather, but you expect that this time of year, as we were heat stressed also.

Commented on 07/15/2019

Thanks for your 4-star review and letting us know you enjoyed your round at Old South. Greens are recovering from the necessary aerification and are taking longer to heal due to the excess heat and low rainfall. We appreciate your understanding.

Greens

Greens are in poor shape. Would give it a better score but the greens have issues. Not sure when they irradiated them but save your money.

Commented on 07/15/2019

It seems you enjoyed the layout and were only disappointed in the greens. Most courses here aerifiy in June and August so visiting in the summer does not give you optimal conditions for golf. This is necessary to insure great conditions during our busy fall, winter and spring.

Too expensive for conditions

Greens are in awful shape and aerated within the last few days on top of that. Should have had a warning in advance as other courses do when booking. Only a sign upon arrival explains the aeration. Even if they weren't aerated, they were still bad. Way too much money based on the condition of the greens. Won't play here again anytime soon as they don't seem to care. Staff was friendly and fairways are good. Not enough to make up for the greens.

Commented on 07/03/2019

Aerification is a necessary procedure in June & August for almost every course in our area. A quick recovery relies on the cooperation of the weather which did not occur this year so it is taking longer for some greens to return to normal. We regret you did not enjoy your day and will offer you a complimentary round (valid until 12/31/19) if you call the golf shop and speak with our Head Professional.

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.