Style Links

The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels.

Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views."

The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play.

Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.

Commented On 03/15/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review!

We always come back.

My wife and I have played this course multiple times over the years when we visit Hilton Head. The course was in good condition and the greens were in great shape. This time the greens were slower than when we have played in the past but were much better than the courses we've played so far on our visit. We played the course right after Hurricane Matthew and we amazed how they continued to manage the cleanup. We can never understand why other public courses in the same price range can't seem to manage their conditioning in the same way Old South does. Is it that hard?

Commented On 03/13/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back!

Commented On 03/12/2019

We very much appreciate your loyalty and the 5-star rating. Our maintenance crew does a remarkable job maintaining good conditions with a small staff and we appreciate their efforts.

Over booked with not enough carts

Our tee time was delayed 20 minutes because there were no carts available. We sat at the “bag drop off area” waiting for a cart. Obviously there were some slower golfers on the course not finishing within the suggested time for a round so carts were not being returned on time. A marshal should have been on the course to prevent the holdup. Never saw a marshal during our round which tells me that there’s no concern for slow play. While waiting at the “bag drop off area” for our cart we heard one of the staff mention the course was over booked. Not good!!
Other than being frustrated with the pace of play, I enjoyed playing this course very much. I love the layout.

Commented On 03/13/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Old South Golf Links, we hope to see you again in the future.

Commented On 03/12/2019

We so regret you had a less than great day at Old South. There is a ranger every day so you should have seen him occasionally. We cannot "over-book" but we were fully booked with every tee time taken and if a group is slow, carts aren't available as they should be. We apologize for the delay and hope you will try us again.

Disappointed - Bad Attitude

Challenging course for my handicap (24). Not in great condition, but fine overall (again, for my handicap!). Only problem was the course Marshall. Despite playing the front nine in 2 hours 10 minutes, and the back nine in 2 hours 5 minutes, our foursome (being me and three women) was warned about slow play three times! We were well behind the group in front of us, no denying that. They were playing quickly. However, our pace was fully acceptable and the group behind us was nowhere to be seen! No idea why the Marshall was on our case. I would recommend the course to my male friends, but never to my women friends!

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about our staff is important to us. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Old South Golf Links, we hope to see you again soon.

Commented On 03/12/2019

We were dismayed to hear your comments as we have never had an issue with this employee. Expected pace of play for 18 holes is 4 hours - 20 minutes so it seems you were well with this range. Our apologies - we strive to be a women friendly course and hope you will give us another chance.

Much improved....loved it

I complained last year about the course condition but this year there has been a great turn around. I thought playings conditions were great for early spring. Back again as one of my Hilton Head favorites.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review, we appreciate the great feedback regarding the value of our course. Thank you for making Old South Golf Links one of your favorite HHI courses!

Commented On 03/12/2019

Thanks for letting us know you found your experience at Old South improved over last year. We appreciate the 5 stars and hope to see you here again.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 4-Star review!

Commented On 03/12/2019

Thanks for the 4 star review!

Commented On 03/12/2019

Thanks for the 4-star review.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 4-Star review! we hope to see you again soon.

Jimbo’s First Time

Apart from a few extremely quirky holes, the course layout is great.
Condition is excellent, for early March, although the greens were quite slow.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 4-Star review! We appreciate you coming out and hope to see you again soon.

Commented On 03/12/2019

Thanks for the 4 star review! Our "quirky" holes are a challenge and we hope you will give them another try.

Great Day at Old South

Really enjoyed our round today. Course was in pretty good shape (a few rough patches on a couple of greens) but overall course in good condition. Staff as always are friendly and helpful. Looking forward to our next round at Old South.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review, we appreciate the great feedback regarding our course conditions and our excellent staff. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.

Commented On 03/07/2019

We appreciate the 5 stars and hope you will be back soon. It's been a challenge for maintenance with all the wet weather but they do a remarkable job keeping our course in the best condition possible.

Commented On 03/13/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review, we appreciate you coming out and hope to see you again soon.

Commented On 03/07/2019

We appreciate the 5 stars!

Great course!!

Very well kept, even in wet conditions. Will definitely come back. As women, we were treated with respect. Not all courses do that unfortunately.

Commented On 03/15/2019

Commented On 03/07/2019

Our Old South staff does their best to be a "Woman Friendly" facility. Thanks for letting others know you enjoyed your day with us and we hope you return soon.

Too slow.

The course is in excellent condition. 5and1/2 has to play a round is insane.

Commented On 03/13/2019

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We appreciate you pointing out any pace of play issues at the course, we will definitely look into this further. Thank you for coming out and we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

poor management

Unfortunately, or possibly fortunately, I did not get to play the round I reserved. I booked the tee time two days in advance of play but when I arrived at the course I was told they could not honor my tee time due to overbooking and a tournament. When I asked if I could do an alternate start , like possibly back nine they stated that they were backed up and it would be 30 to 45 minutes before I could get out. Since this was a late afternoon tee time I did not wish to play twilight golf and cancelled the tee time.

Commented On 03/13/2019

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. After looking into your tee time and speaking with the pro shop assistant on this particular day, he informed us that your tee time was scheduled for 9 holes at 2:36 PM. We went back and checked our records and showed that you checked in at 2:00 PM and was expecting to play 36 minutes ahead of your scheduled tee time. Due to the golf tournament that had been booked months in advance we were unable to allow you to tee off early, or tee off the back nine as the tournament was still making the turn. You would of easily completed 9 holes at your original tee time of 2:36 PM so We regret you decided to leave and not give us a try. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will give us another try in the near future.

Hole #7 is a little gimmicky but otherwise a fun course.

Commented On 03/13/2019

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. Thank you for coming out and we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Great course, slow greens

This is a great course, with a nice variety of holes. Very scenic. The greens could be better. The pace today was a bit slow but it’s been pretty good on previous rounds there.

Commented On 02/25/2019

Thank you for the great review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your round! We will take a closer look regarding any pace of play issues, thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Commented On 02/25/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review.

Commented On 02/21/2019

Thanks for the 5 stars! We hope you get to play Old South again soon.

Old South is really impressive. I wish we could come back in a few weeks time when the greens have speeded up

Old South has some brilliant holes, we loved it and will return. The greens were very green! but too slow - a shame because there was no reason for them not to be cut and made faster and truer

Commented On 02/25/2019

Thank you for the 5-Star review! We appreciate the feedback regarding the greens, with the age of the greens being over 20+ years old we do have to be careful when cutting the greens. We appreciate your understanding and hope to see you again in the near future.

Commented On 02/20/2019

We are so pleased you loved Old South Golf Links and appreciate the 5 stars! Our greens were fertilized the Friday before you played and were mowed on Monday morning. Due to the unpredictable weather in our winter, they do not mow extremely low as an unexpected frost could cause damage. Last year we were closed for a week due to ice and snow on the greens. Come play in April...they will be fast!

Great Day of Golf

As an early bird beat rush and played course at my own pace. While not overly long, course has lots of hazards and sand traps. Over all course was in very good shape and staff very friendly.

Commented On 02/20/2019

Thank you for the great review, we are so glad you enjoyed the course conditions and our excellent staff. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Hilton Head.

Commented On 02/19/2019

We appreciate your 5 star review and hope to see you at Old South again soon.

Very organized and well maintained. Pace of play was excellent & staff , high end helpful & proficient.

Very satisfied golf experience. Well done Old South.

Commented On 02/20/2019

Thank you for the awesome review, we appreciate the great feedback and cant wait to see you back on the course again in the near future.

Commented On 02/18/2019

We are glad you enjoyed your day of golf at Old South and that you took the time to post this review. We appreciate the 5 stars.

challenging course

The course provides a great variety of holes with lots of forced carries and doglegs. Tees would provide a good challenge for any level of golfer.

Commented On 02/25/2019

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the great feedback regarding the force carries, sharp doglegs, and tee boxes. We are so glad that you enjoyed your round and hope to see you again soon.

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.