Old South Golf Links

Style Links
The 18-hole Old South Golf Links in Bluffton, S.C. is a public course that opened in 1991. Designed by Clyde Johnston, Old South Golf Links measures 6,772 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 129 and a 72.4 USGA rating. The course features four sets of tees for different skill levels. Johnston designed Old South Golf Links in keeping with the beautiful Lowcountry's natural landscape. "Old South Golf Links was designed not only to provide an enjoyable yet challenging golf game, but also to preserve the natural beauty of the land," he said. "I felt that this was an opportunity to allow the golfer to experience up close the uniqueness of the site, its natural amenities and spectacular views." The variety of the setting from oak forest to open pasture to tidal salt marsh, provided an opportunity to vary the design elements and strategy of play. Old South Golf Links is open to the public seven days a week. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and full-line pro shop on site.
Old South Golf Links
Scorecard for Old South Golf Links
Gold M: 72.7/138 383 415 530 167 533 397 370 160 400 3355 403 185 390 353 555 384 417 180 550 3417 6772
Blue M: 70.4/132 365 390 502 155 513 370 353 140 368 3156 381 170 370 335 535 354 383 165 505 3198 6354
White M: 68.6/116 330 355 455 140 450 340 315 112 308 2805 343 158 332 320 515 330 355 153 468 2974 5779
Green M: 65.6/108 280 355 415 125 450 295 315 112 278 2625 300 136 286 320 407 283 275 132 371 2510 5135
Red W: 68.2/117 280 305 415 125 411 295 270 75 278 2454 300 136 286 272 407 283 135 132 371 2322 4776

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire. No cutoffs, gym or jogging shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, tee shirts and blue jeans or any other denim.

Needs attention to detail and staff training

This course has so much going for it.....amazing views, very nice fairways, and a very challenging layout.

That’s what got my rating to an overall “3”.

I knew that the course was just aerated which I saw routine, but there’s so much more that needs fixing. Greens were lgood added with sand that’s there wasn’t much green To be seen.

1. The starter seemed to be bothered because I took him away from his phone to get the 2 bags of balls I purchased in the shop. He got me the balls and went right back to his phone.

2. We had a tee time around 1pm, saw the beverage cart once on the 2nd hole. SHe informed us that we needed to get beverages at that time as she’d be done for the day at 3pm. It was 95 degrees humid and the sign on the course read, “ABSOLUTELY NO outside beverages permitted on the course”. If that’s the case, why was the cart service stopping at 3pm.?

3. Tee boxes we’re in very poor shape.

4. Course workers should be trained to slow their equipment, stop cutting, and to yield to players. Nope. In fact the supervisor riding around in a cart, stopped and had a loud conversation and a distraction to our game.

5. At the driving range, there was a sign that’s read....”.No Five-somes permitted.......DONT EVEN ASK”.......just not “guest Friendly”

I’ve been in the hospitality industry for 30 years and hire, recruit, and train.

I really liked the course, but got to play it On the wrong day.

Service team and culture needs to step up it’s game.

Commented On 2018-08-23T13:35:22.000+00:00

We regret you were less than satisfied with your day at Old South. No employee should be on a cellphone while serving customers and unfortunately that set the tone for your day. We do provide drinking water on every 3 holes and the clubhouse is accessible after #5 and #9 for additional beverage purchases. You are able to have those beverages in a cooler with ice provided by Old South. Heavy rains the afternoon before you played set back the maintenance crew trying to get the course ready for play and we apologize for the interruption it caused in your game.

North Carolina Advisor

Very disappointed

This is about the sixth or seventh time I’ve played this course, and I keep telling myself I won’t come back, but I do. This will be the last time.

The tees and greens were horrible. I chose to play here, because the conditions are almost always good, but barren tee boxes, and burnt out greens abounded. The fairways were fine, but that was about it.

The layout is what always makes me not want to come back, and that hasn’t changed. Too much “goofy golf” for my tastes. There are some good holes, but there are 4-5 holes that should be completely redone, imo.

Paid almost $50 per person for an afternoon hot deal, and even that price is no value. Rather spend the money to play the better courses on island. Better golf, better value for me.

Commented On 2018-08-23T13:40:55.000+00:00

We are sorry you did not enjoy your day. By August the greens are in need of aerification which was done 8/14 & 8/15 . Once healed they will be faster. Tee boxes are on the schedule for maintenance so please try us again next year.

Great layout and nice conditions

Fairways very good from tee to green. Plenty of trouble...need to hit good shots. Greens need to be faster. Will play again.

Commented On 2018-08-08T18:00:31.000+00:00

We are glad you plan to play again. Greens are a little slow now but will speed up after they heal from aerification next week.

very slow greens

Some of the greens were in repair mode. All the greens were very slow and none of the people in the group were able to adapt to how slow they were. The greens are the only reason I would not recommend the course to someone. Other than the greens, I enjoyed the course.

Commented On 2018-08-06T12:56:58.000+00:00

Thanks for your comments. We are scheduled for aerification next week which will certainly make the greens faster when they completely recover. We hope to see you again when the greens are rolling at a better pace.

Commented On 2018-07-30T13:35:40.000+00:00

We appreciate your 5-star review and hope to see you at Old South again.

Commented On 2018-07-30T13:36:35.000+00:00

Thanks for taking the time to give us your opinion and we are glad it rated 5 stars!

Slow greens

Course was excellent condition with exception to the greens which had a few bad areas and was really slow. Only problem was the fact that it was cart path only from rain the previous night but after 9 holes the fairways were not wet in which maintenance continue to run fairways with mowers, blowers and miscellaneous equipment with no problems. Would have courteous to allow customers to 90 in the fairways especially with temperatures realfeel reaching 105F.

Still recommend course which has a nice layout and some beautiful views.

Commented On 2018-07-23T13:17:05.000+00:00

We appreciate your 4-star rating and we are glad you enjoyed your day. Heavy down-pours for several days in a row necessitated cart path only restrictions. Our maintenance crew must continue to work and know all the areas that need to be avoided when it rains for days unlike players that may be unfamiliar with the areas to avoid. We hope for dryer weather soon!

Great course just off the island

Traveling with family I only could escape to play one or two rounds for the week I was here. Thanks to golfnow.com I found this great deal and filled out a foursome.

Course overall was in great condition. There were only a few greens that had some bad spots but they didn't affect the game based on where they located the pin position.

I would play this course again!

Commented On 2018-07-20T17:34:19.000+00:00

Thanks for the 5 stars...we hope to see you here again soon.

Old South Hilton Head

Nice layout, fairly good condition, round was enjoyable.

Commented On 2018-07-16T15:10:31.000+00:00

We appreciate your 4-star review and hope you play again when you visit the low-country.

Old south

Got a hot deal time. Was paired with another single player and a twosome. Course was in ok shape. Fairways were very well maintained a couple of the greens were damaged pretty bad. But only mattered if you hit it there. Other than that great time.

Commented On 2018-07-16T15:12:11.000+00:00

Thanks for your review. We do have two greens that were being re-sodded and apologize for the inconvenience but it needed to be done. We hope you get to play again.

Low Country Gem!

Challenging course with beautiful and serene low country scenery. Great golf experience!

Commented On 2018-07-12T13:15:19.000+00:00

We are glad you enjoyed the golf course and the beautiful scenery surrounding it. Be sure to play again when in the low-country.

Commented On 2018-07-12T13:15:49.000+00:00

Thanks for the 4 star review.

Commented On 2018-07-11T13:03:18.000+00:00

We appreciate the 5-star review and hope to see you back for another round.

Great place

The staff is great and the pace of play is awesome

Commented On 2018-07-11T13:04:58.000+00:00

We are glad you enjoyed Old South Golf Links. We are proud of our friendly staff and try our best to maintain a reasonable pace of play for everyone. Be sure to play again!

Stunning Course!

We thoroughly enjoyed this course! First time to Hilton Head and we found this gem of a course. Would play this course again.

Commented On 2018-07-09T16:48:17.000+00:00

We are so glad you found Old South Golf Links! Thanks for the 5 star review and be sure to play again on your next trip to Hilton Head.

Great layout and value

Played mid afternoon in 3 1/2 hours. Great design and layout.... Had a few patchy spots in fairways, but the greens were pretty smooth and not too fast.

Commented On 2018-07-02T13:35:48.000+00:00

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your day at Old South. Be sure to come back!

Need strategy, not resort golf

The course is fair and playing it twice will be fun because it does challenge your course management skills.

We played while the grass was being changed on the greens so the we’re slow.

The only change I would make at this point would be the traps. They need better sand or they need to declare traps as waste areas.

Looking forward to planning it in october when we vacation here again.

Commented On 2018-06-25T13:32:46.000+00:00

We are glad you enjoyed your day at Old South. Bunkers are on the list for maintenance and replenishment so should be improved when you return. We do hope to see you in the fall.

Course conditions not communicated

I played Old South on 6/17 and enjoyed my round. I came back on 6/20 and found that the greens were significantly top dressed. There was no course condition alert on GolfNow, so after my round I spoke with the pro shop employee to express my displeasure with the course's lack of communication with players about conditions. I am fully aware that top dressing needs to be done, however I would expect a quality course to make players aware that their short game conditions for all 18 holes will not be what they would expect to experience. The pro shop employee did not seem to understand my concern and was unapologetic. I would have played another golf course on 6/20 if course conditions were communicated properly to me.

I book many rounds on GolfNow and expect golf courses to provide the same information to players as if they had called the course themselves. Unfortunately, this may be my last time playing a typically enjoyable golf course simply because I cannot trust that the golf course is providing accurate course condition information to GolfNow.

Commented On 2018-06-25T13:41:00.000+00:00

We apologize that your experience was less than great. Top dressing maintenance must be done and cannot always be planned in advance or may need to be rescheduled for the next day due to summer weather issue such as thunderstorms. We do regret and apologize that that the staff member you spoke with was not sympathetic to your concerns. You can always book through GolfNow and call the golf shop to see if any maintenance is going on that day. We will be completely closed for aerification maintenance on 8/14 & 8/15/18.

Wet

Unfortunately, I played on a day after a thunderstorm; “cart paths only”.

Tees were sparse in areas. Traps were raked. Fairways manicured.

Greens very slow and sparse in several ares filled with sand.

Staff not inviting; seemed overworked.

Two gimmicky holes.

Nice practice range. Putting green marginal.

Overall nice layout but too much water typical of Hilton Head courses.

Response from Old South on 06/19/2018:
Thank you for the 4-Star review, we appreciate the great feedback regarding our course conditions, especially after the weather we have received. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.

Old south quirky but will go back

Strange course some unusual holes and green slopes , several doglegs that make you pay attention to club off tee, I really enjoyed it but greens are a bit tired and need aeration soon

Response from Old South on 06/19/2018:
Thank you for your honest review, we apologize if you did not enjoy your round at Old South. The course can be very challenging as it winds its way through the marshlands, so we do have some unique holes. Thank you for coming out and we hope that you will give us another try in the near future.

Valid dates: Feb 11, 2019 - Mar 31, 2019