A view from Steele Canyon Golf Club

Steele Canyon Golf Course

Year Built 1991
Architect Gary Player (1991)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MasterCard, Amex & Discover are welcomed.

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Banquet Facilities

Very good day!

Challenging corse and the greens really roll true.
Kind of dry in some fairways. We be back

GOOD COURSE WITH POOR PACE

$90 to play and no GPS? Unacceptable when so many courses have it. 5 hours to get around? I"m sorry but I won't be returning. Course is good enough but 5 hours for the round even after calling a Marshal out twice only to be told pace was OK??

Commented on 07/07/2020

Mr. Holgate,

We are sorry that your round took 5 hours, we do strive for a 4.5 hour pace if not better at Steele Canyon. July 3 happened to be the busiest day of the year for many courses in the San Diego area, and with not much else to do because of COVID there are many novice golfers. Our marshalls did respond to both your calls, but as mentioned every single tee time from sunrise to nearly 5pm was sold out. Many people are not in a hurry to return to their sheltered lives.

Surprisingly Strict on Time

My wife and I signed up for golf at 7:27 AM, but didn't get to tee off until 7:35 AM. We were paired up with another couple and there was a foursome in front of us that we could see, with no group ahead of them in sight. About half way through the front 9, the course Marshall stop us and said that we were playing slow. About a hole and a half slow to be exact. We agreed to play faster.

Within the next two holes, we caught up to the group in front and couldn't go any faster. The Marshall was actively following our group and we saw him a few more times watching us. To be honest, we never felt like we were playing slow but definitely sped up. It made the round more pressure filled and not enjoyable.

The most irritable thing at the end was that when we finished, it was 12 noon. That means our round took less than 4 and a half hours. Because we caught up to the group in front of us, there was no way to finish any faster. If you ask anyone who plays golf, a 4 and a half hour round is widely acceptable. The amount of pressure put on only our group to play faster was very unnecessary.

Nice Challenge

Variety of course layout always makes this an interesting place to play.

Staff members were very helpful and mindful of social distancing and wearing masks. The day was great with perfect pace of play; the course in terrific shape. They even had a service cart out on the course. Play before everyone catches on again!

Worst Golf experience ever

This was my first time playing Steele Canyon and I drove down from North county and paid $72. I had a 6am tee time. I showed up to check in, was given my receipt and told to check in with he starter. There was no starter! I just grabbed a cart and loaded up. I was not told which of the 2 nines I was playing. I asked another golfer where the first tee was and he kindly took me to the tee box. Had no idea if it was the right nine I was supposed to play. The sprinklers were still running on the tee boxes and in the fairways. A single on the tee box said he was heading to hole 2. The twosome in front of me just went and dropped balls in the fairway as they didn't want to wait. The sprinklers shut off and I go to the tee box. Its a dogleg right and I have no idea what's beyond my sightline. Can I cut the corner? Is there trouble? Since no GPS or yardage book I have no idea. There are several holes like this. The signage is poor too. I went the wrong way on several holes! Take the concrete or the dirt path??
It got to the point where I was just put off by the whole experience and I actually left after 5 holes, just drove in. When I got in I asked the starter where to leave the cart, he said "just down there". What does that mean?
I can't complain about the conditions on the 5 holes I played. Good, but not great. I'd rather play Maderas or RB Inn in my neighborhood.
It was the overall impression of the staff and the setup. I will not be back and do not recommend.

Commented on 05/23/2020

Sorry to hear your first experience at Steele Canyon was not up to par. Single golfers that tee off 10 minutes after sunrise are going to play faster than maintenance can work and with 27 holes the crew is spread out even more in these challenging times.
I apologize that you did not get a full customer service experience when you teed off at first sunlight, but a good rule of thumb is to follow concrete paths, not dirt. Our golf shop staff could have been more helpful and provided a yardage book had they been better informed, and maybe the 4 cart return area signs were not easily visible in the early morning. Again, I am sorry for the poor first impression.

Loved the layout

Great layout and location as the course cuts through winding ravines. The greens were immaculate, small in some cases but readable. The fairways were less exciting and needed some care. Looks like they were tired and thirsty. We decided to play winter rules as the fairway was barren dirt everywhere.

Good conditions, very fast greens

We played 36 holes so we experienced all 3 9-hole courses and were pleasantly surprised by the conditions. The fairways were a bit spotty, but the greens were in great shape and very fast. Many of the holes had significant carries off the tee, so choose your tees wisely. The Canyon and Ranch nines were the most enjoyable compared to the Vineland nine. Many of the holes were quite narrow, so your driver will spend a lot of time in the bag!

Very nice, enjoyed the course and had a wonderful time, it rained the first few holes so course was wet, but greens were great!

Great Greens

Greens are fast and true. First time in 12 years playing this course. Love the layout. Once you get used to the speed of the greens, good putts are rewarded.

Price wise in San Diego area, it is on the high side. BUT for the beauty of the course and hiw the course is maintained, its well worth the price. If you are playing in the summertime, be sure to bring plenty of water. It gets hot in thia area. BRING extra balls, as you would probanly lose a few if not familiar with the course layout. There are also environmentally protected areas where your ball can not be retrieved. This couse consist of 3, 9 holes courses. Make sure to include Canyon in your choice, since, personally i think this is the best of the 3.

Out of my league

Beautiful course but too much for my skill level. Trouble all over. If you are a 15 or less then you will love it. If you are over 15 then bring plenty of balls. Overall though I will play again once my game improves.

Jamul, California