Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1957
Fairways Kikuyu/Rye Grass
Greens Bent - Tyee 007 blend Grass
Architect William F. Bell (1957) Tom Weiskopf (2016)

Carts Yes - $20

Caddies Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
Dress code Proper Golf Attire Required

Awesome views!

This is my first time playing here and it's a great course with some awesome views. The pace of play was a little so next time I would definitely walk. Pretty flat course.

Outstanding course and breathtaking views

Recently Played the Torrey pines north course with my dad I’ve never had a golf course exceed my expectations but this course definitely did Tom Weiskopf did an outstanding job on the redesign and the views over the rocky cliffs of La Jolla and the Pacific Ocean were unparalleled the course itself is relatively forgiving but still packs a punch especially when you get around and on the greens staff was to say the least were snobby and not very accommodating to be honest but I highly recommend playing this golf course especially if you get to play it in the afternoon around sunset the views are the best then if you want a fast round play early in the morning if you play in the afternoon prepare for a 4 and a half to 5 hour round but everything considered this course Ian a must play if you’re in San Diego.

North vs. South

Played both and preferred the North course even though everyone comes here to play the South.

Texas Advisor

As a non resident - you’re Paying for the views, not for the course...

Torrey Pines is an iconic golf course, and Those of us old enough might remember playing the south on the old LINKS pc game back in the 90s!

Played with a bunch of 12 buddies on a golf trip from various parts of the states so we did not qualify for the resident rates. The greens had been aerated and there were no discounts as a result.

My review then is tainted by what represents value for golf. We payed over $200 each to play the North course. I believe residents pay much less. For $200 you are better off playing Maderas twice and going for a hike in Torrey Pines reserve.

Of course, as a course itself it is a lovely layout. It’s very playable for golfers of all skill levels, as there aren’t many trees. The rough is thick but not unplayable. The front nine is pretty straight forward. We played on a lovely day so wind wasn’t so much of a factor that it might otherwise be.

I particularly like the back 9 with the views of the pacific. The 10th is a straight par five right at the pacific. Heaven forbid playing this into a strong breeze! The par 3 downhill 15th is iconic of course, and the uphill par 4 16th is a fabulous golf hole with arguably one of the prettiest vistas in golf. 17 is a charming par 5 that is makable in 2 as well.

In all honestly despite the majestic views of the pacific I was a little disappointed with the course having just played Steele Canyon and Maderas. Nothing to do with the aerated greens. The fairways were not as manicured as I thought they would be for a course that I paid $200 to play. Reminded me of a $40 muni. Having said that the ball sat up very nicely and was easy to hit when laying on the fairway.

We had a meal at the 19th hole bar. Nicely designed building with great food and craft beer was available at reasonable prices.

Great end to the trip

Brought a group of 12 buddies to San Diego and we finished up at Torrey Pines North. Playing the South never really crossed our minds given it's getting a lot of work done this summer and it's also way more difficult. There were some high handicappers in my group and I know they loved the more forgiving layout compared to Steele Canyon and Maderas.

The course is a lot of fun to play, especially the back nine, which kicks off with a great par 5 straight towards the ocean. I love the 16th hole too that plays up the hill along the coast. The course had been aerated about 10 days earlier so greens were running slower than previous rounds, and it's too bad they don't give any kind of price break for that, but hey it's a busy place that doesn't have a problem booking up. I booked our three times about 75 days in advance and it was already filling up.

We stuck around for drinks on the lodge patio. All in all a great cap to the weekend.

Challenging - touch overrated perhaps?

Was super excited at the opportunity to play this course.

Customer experience prior to tee off was lacking. Particularly compared to the other San Diego courses I played, I feel there was no effort to customer.

Course is exactly as what you expect when you see this on tv. However, playing it I didn't get a buzz.

Very expensive as non resident too.

Great Value and Views at this Venue

Just finished playing three rounds on the north course right before it closes for farmers open

As a single (sandwiched golf between a conference) it was easy to get on the north course. Got on the website 3 days ahead as a non resident 7 pm pst) and found numerous options to play. Early golfers before 730 were able to get around in 3.5 hours walking. Was cart path only; prior to the PGA event, so walk it.

Definitely have lunch or a snack at the Torrey pines grill. You can see the course and putting green and ocean! If you have the time the outdoor fireplace or table fire pits make for a great 19th hole and relaxing venue

Tips. Bring water... a number of the course water fountains were not working. Leave time to walk from parking lot to starter to practice range (about 400 to 600 yds apart) and have to check in minimum 30 min early n be on tee 10 min early
Rough will eat your balls especially if foggy, early am or overcast ...bring extra socks. IF you are a single and want to play either course, at least in January, I found it quite easy to walk on if you come in around 0700. There are no discounts, for anyone except residents... and they pay 1/2 to 1/3 what guests from out of town pay, however I still thought it was great value.

Beverage cart makes frequent appearances.

The course, played from the proper tees for your game, is not difficult. I would consider it fair without a lot of hidden greens or tricky holes. Greens were fast in prep for the farmers open. Most greens were large and easy to approach when the flag was not hidden behind a bunker. A few doglegs that have you choosing between driver to cut the dogleg or 3 wood to be safe. The views on the back nine, along the pacific are awe inspiring.

very much enjoyed the course

San Diego At Its Best

I lived in San Diego for 20 years and I can't believe this is the first time that I have played Torrey. Sure, it would have been nice to pay the unbelievably low resident rate, but I would happily pay the non-resident rate again if it meant I got to play another 18.

The weather was perfect (of course!), the turf was immaculate, and the views were spectacular! The greens were challenging and also in great shape.

My biggest complaint was the length of the rough. It was so long and thick that even if you saw where your ball landed, you *maybe* had a 50/50 chance of finding it. Even though I lost a dozen balls or so in this rough, I inadvertently found just as many.

Can't wait to play the south course!

Best Course for SD Residents, Great Course for Visitors

Payed $25 as a Resident to play this course and it was in perfect shape. From tee to green everything was well kept and green. Only minuses were the tee boxes were moved up, rough was very long, and greens were very hard and fast. Amazing sunset and ocean views, course layout was very fun also. Course may be very expensive for visitors but very worth it on a beautiful day.

Average to below average municipal course.

If you want to pay premium level course prices for fair at best course conditions to get the views go for it. If not way over priced for the conditions. With no views that couse would cost $20 less than the price of a cart. I dont get how the PGA use that course.

Awesome course

Played this course as a tune up for the South the next day. The course is definitely easier and more walkable than the South. That being said, it was still a fun test of golf. The fairways are wider but still demands a good tee shot. You will pay if you’re in the rough on some holes. I enjoyed the routing and again like the South, this course had fantastic views. If I had to compare I think Bethpage Black beats south for the best and most challenging truly public courses to host an open. I’d give the nod to North over bethpage Red for the younger sibling courses.

Great place!

Much easier than the south course, with less bunkers and not as long. It could be argued that the north is more scenic than the south, with spectacular ocean and canyon views. Conditions a little worse than the south, but still very good.

Texas Advisor

Torrey Pines North... a perfect compliment to the South

This was my first time on the North Course at Torrey Pines. I was very curious to see what all the fuss was about after the recent redesign.

Right off the bat, you can tell this is a very different course from the South. While the fairways are still generally narrow, the rough seemed a little gentler. There seemed to be fewer hazards in play off the tee, which made tee shots much less strategic. In this sense, the North is more open than the South. On most holes you can hit away without much worry about whether you'll still have an approach shot.

However, the greens quite complex. Unfortunately, they were recently punched when I played, but you can still see how much more contour they have compared to the South (and it's not like the greens on South are flat!). Hole 8 in particular has a crazy green with a shelf on the left side and a deep thumbprint on the right side. A perfect compliment to a shorter par 4.

I found the back 9 to be very enjoyable. The almost driveable 11th and the very nice par 3 12th are fun holes. 14-17 were my favorites though. 14 you hit a semi-blind tee shot up a chute framed by tall pines towards the ocean, a very cool site. 15 is a stunning downhill par 3 with a great view of the ocean and of #4 green on the south course. 16 boasts a dramatic tee shot from an elevated box with the ocean all along the left. When you reach 16 green, you are totally isolated from everything with no other holes in sight. This is a very cool and unusual feeling because most of the two courses are tightly confined. 17 offers you one last beautiful tee shot over a canyon that extends along the left hand side. Very enjoyable hole.

Overall, I don't think the North Course is quiet a challenging as the South, or as strategically interesting. However, I think it wins hands down for scenery and fun. There are many holes where you can see the ocean and many others where canyons are visible. Add those to the areas the course has left sandy and let the brush grow up and you get a beautiful scene and one quite different from the South Course that is mainly green.

I think this course is very worth your time and a better value for the price than South. Personally, I'd still pick the South Course if I could only play one, but the North Course is a fantastic option that is cheaper, prettier, and more fun for the average golfer.

zmo

Torrey Tough

It used to be you could play the North course and avoid a solid kick to the gunt like on the South. No mas. The new bent grass greens repel shots over 130yds unless struck with very precise contact and spin. You better play a tour ball as well. Green complexes were redesigned with a ton of movement and sometimes multiple tiers. Frustrating to hit a 160 yd 7 iron only to see it release off the back. But that's the new reality. Adjust your expectations and enjoy the views. Not a fan of the fact they removed so many trees....but the views are million dollar from most of the course. As mentioned, nines have been reversed. ...meh on that. Still one of the best deals anywhere for twilight. Get on it!

New North course layout

The redesign is epic, the front 9 is beautiful, but when you wind your way past the beautiful 14th, you get to the most beautiful hole in San Diego, 15 par 3 overlooking the ocean, with the beautiful pines. Just because it's not the tough south course, doesn't mean it's not tough. This course was super challenging, my short game and putting was great, other than that my second shot needs the most work. This is one very special golf course.

Excellent views

Worth every penny

Post-renovation, the North is a wonderful complement

I played the North course the day after getting beat up on the South. As I mentioned in my South review, the rough is wet and thick at Torrey right now thanks to some heavy (and welcomed) winter rains. Suffice to say, I welcomed the fact it wasn't as tough. Tom Weiskopf led the renovation of the North, which plays right next to the South, and his aim was to provide something playable and fun. That said, it can still tip-out quite long and is still used in the first two rounds of the Farmers Open.

Weiskopf flipped the nines, and the best part of the course comes midway into the back nine. The par-4 14th hole plays downhill towards the coast, and the scenic par-3 15th tee shot is perhaps the most thrilling shot in property. But I really love the drive on the par-4 16th that plays uphill along the bluffs.

So where does it stack up among the best courses in San Diego? Based on the ones I've played, which is about a dozen, I think it's fringe Top 5 but closer to top 10. This course gets on average 80,000 rounds a year, so if you're prefer the more wide open fairways of high-end/resort courses, this isn't your horse. But from a scenery perspective, the North comes pretty close to the South, and playability wise, if you don't feel like getting beat up on the South, the North will be loads of fun.

Splurge

What a place. Magical views and setting along the Pacific.

Don't worry that the pace of play is terrible - where else would you rather be? Too bad that the front 9 is the better as it hugs the cliffs, but the back 9 keeps the sea views.

The rough is much nastier than its short length looks. For someone coming from bent grass on the east coast, it takes some getting used to on the Poa and Kikuyu grasses. Hit it in the fairway!

Fun Playing Experience at Torrey "Lite"

I've played here a few times now; consistently a fun course to play. The first seven holes are rather similar to the South course, hugging the cliffs and showcasing great coastal views. The remaining 11 holes are relatively straight-forward straight forward by comparison as they work away from the water.

Sometimes the course can slow up a bit during twilight, particularly around the front nine par 3's. That said, if you're looking for a less expensive option to the South course (and have already played it), consider the North course.

Best course I have ever played!

Bar none look no further, the best course in SD and the US for views, conditions, greens, and challenges. It is open to the public, even better if you are a city resident as your green fees are reduced. (75% off)

Rancho Santa Fe, California
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Solana Beach, California

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.