Style Links

Ranch Course at Genoa Lakes Golf Club is a Johnny Miller co-design that's a short drive from its sister Lakes Course. The two courses will never be mistaken for each other though. Ranch Course is a pumped up course that's big in almost every way. There are over 300 feet of elevation changes and in excess of 100 bunkers around the course.

Miller and his design partner John Harbottle III put together a course that plays as bold and showy as Las Vegas. Only it's located in Carson Valley, halfway in-between the more nature resort towns of Reno and Lake Tahoe.

The bunkering can be severe on Genoa Lakes' Ranch Course and the mountain scenery can be even more striking. Even though it's not far from the Lakes Course, the Ranch Course is definitely set up in its own world.

Miller gives golfers a fighting chance though and often the latitude to decide their own fate. Ranch Course at Genoa Lakes is full of risk-reward holes. Most notable might be No. 18. This 561-yard par 5 gives you not one, but two shots (minimum) where you must decide how much lake you want to try and cut.

Genoa Lakes Golf Course - Ranch Course

Year Built 1998
Architect Johnny Miller (1998) John Harbottle III (1998)

Dress code Collared shirts, shorts/proper golf slacks to be worn at all times. No denim/sweat pants.

Fast greend

Greens very fast with a lot of slope. Fairways a little rough

It’s A Steal

We booked a hot deal online while on vacation in Lake Tahoe and we hit the jackpot. Had to rent clubs and staff was very helpful. Can’t say enough about the views and conditions of the course. Be prepared for fast smooth greens. Awesome !!!

Beautiful Mountain and Valley Views

Our first time golfing at the Ranch course and we will come back. The greens are brutal with the steep slopes and speed but it is what separates the men from the boys. The fairways are long and the course designer licked to put sand traps all around the greens, which makes your approach shot that much more important. This is one of the most fun 18 hole championship courses I have golfed in many years and would recommend it to anyone.

Really fun, but can be windy

We liked this course so much we played it twice on our vacation. It had some problems with some fairways, but the layout was fun for me playing from the back tees, and my girlfriend playing from the ladies tees.

This area evidently can be windy quite often, so be prepared for that. But the course winds up and down the hillside making for some fantastic views and challenges with elevation changes on your shots.

We played the Lakes Course 2 days ago, and the Ranch Course today. Both were fun courses, both in fair condition, and if you can book them on Golfnow, or direct with the Pro Shop at local rates, they are a pretty good value. The Ranch Course is by far the more interesting layout, with the back nine sporting big elevation changes, and remarkable views of the Carson Valley.

Addition to My Previous Review

I left my Cleveland 50 degree Wedge on the course. When I got back to the pro shop, it wasn't there and we had to go back to Tahoe. I left my info. They texted me the next day that they had it. I called them to say thanks, but I couldn't take time to make the trip (over an hour in each direction). They said that they'd be glad to ship it to me, and they did - for 25 bucks! Awesome!

Good Stuff

The course, the vistas, the conditions, the people all the way down to the hot dogs in the bar were exemplary. Two little dings: the young guy in the pro shop was a tad surly and the third fairway had several areas under repair. The fairway issue was probably beyond their control - perhaps a flash flood. Otherwise awesome!

A Course Worth Playing

First time playing this course. Great layout and the course was in great condition. Greens were fairly quick, were in excellent condition, fairways had some good run to them, sand traps were good and there were some forced carries, made it interesting. The scenery was great as you are playing next to the mountains, bring a camera. Want to mention the gentleman in the pro shop, took the time to explain some things to do and how to try and play the course, thanks, made for a good round. I will play this course again.

Not what I expected

A visiting friend wanted to play a course at high elevation, I found this one on Golf Now. Beautifully maintained with a variety of challenging holes, what a fun course! The only problem I had was the fairways are well watered, be ready to literally get your feet wet!!!

Great course for the money

First time playing and I will be back can’t beat it for the money plenty of challenge for all levels

Every time in the Lake Tahoe area I play this course. Great layout, pace of play is good and the course is always in great condition. I recommend this course to anyone staying in Reno or South Lake Tahoe

Great layout great value great staff

It’s puzzling why this course is not packed with players . It is wonderful for the sake of pace of play . The layout is a very friendly and there is nothing quirky about this course . I understand this course is under new management I understand this course is under new management and it is a sure fire win the way it’s being run it is a sure fire win the way it’s being run.

Genoa Good Golf

Friendly and helpful staff. Even the course maintenance guys are friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the round and the course Ian in great shape, especially considering the tough wi tee we had. Greens were awesome and fairways very good. A great place to golf.

Nice course for the value

Great views of the valley , nice greens , a lot of flooded fairways due to weather changes , fun par 3s

Forgiving

We enjoyed playing Genoa Ranch. The course was very nicely maintained and the greens not too fast or slow. The fairways are forging which greatly reduces frustration. Staff was all very friendly. We will go back again.

Glenbrook, Nevada