Type Private/Resort
Crenshaw (Green) 71 6347 yards 70.8 129
Scorecard for Crenshaw Cliffside
Gold M: 70.8/121 358 470 370 424 210 464 365 173 444 3278 455 185 535 160 317 590 575 142 393 3352 6630
Green M: 69.6/118 358 470 370 400 194 420 365 173 401 3151 410 185 535 160 317 557 525 142 365 3196 6347
Blue M: 68.6/116 349 440 355 400 194 420 345 163 401 3067 410 160 505 140 285 570 525 125 365 3085 6152
White M: 66.4/112 W: 75.0/131 333 390 282 370 175 406 325 155 354 2790 373 147 471 114 267 557 479 110 352 2870 5660
Red W: 67.6/110 240 333 270 321 153 354 314 149 307 2441 330 105 355 82 260 415 360 86 292 2285 4726

Year Built 1991
Fairways Bermuda 419 Grass
Architect Bill Coore (1991) Ben Crenshaw (1991)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Barton Creek Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Texas (2017 #16)

Virginia Advisor

The Softer Side of Barton Creek is Quite Rewarding

This was my first experience at Barton Creek and my first Ben Crenshaw course as well and I came away equally pleased with both. I was invited as a Local Advisor to play here but paid for my round.

Barton Creek is an impressive sight as you drive up with the towering hotel and country club buildings. After parking in the first golf course parking garage I’ve encountered in my golf travels (I’ve from Virginia, so perhaps this is common in ATX), I made my way to the pro shop to check in. The staff was very friendly and helpful guiding me through my warmup (the range is around the corner of the country club) and onto the right tee box (see my review for the flashier Fazio Foothills course).

Once on the Crenshaw course, I was able to relax and mellow out a bit as the design of this 18 is more subtle and inviting than its counterpart. I like that this resort has two such contrasting designs that compliment each other very well. The Crenshaw course may not have the photogenic style as Fazio’s rendition, but there’s still plenty of playing strategy to utilize as you make your way around the course. Though there are a couple blind shots on Cliffside, you’re generally able to see everything right out in front of you to plan your attack of the green.

Speaking of the greens, they are quite large and not overly sculpted, making your GIR stats happy. That said, I was almost immediately struck by the similarity of this course's design with what I’ve witnessed on TV of Austin CC when the pros play their match play event there each year. In particular, the steep drop off and plentiful hazards that surround the sides and backs of the greens add a subtle level of intimidation that will focus your approach skills (or suffer the consequences).

Course conditions are exactly what you’d expect from a premiere resort like Barton Creek. From tee to green, every surface is well maintained and in great shape. Bunkers are groomed, greens roll smooth, true, and relatively quick, and fairways a lush. I’m sure this isn’t the cheapest place in town to play, but you certainly get your money’s worth out on the course.

Perhaps the best aspect of the Crenshaw Cliffside course is the seeming lower play count when compared to Fazio Foothills, so if time or pace of play is more important to you, I’d definitely recommend this course.

The resort’s amenities are pretty impressive as well with a grass range, separate chipping and putting greens, and a very nice clubhouse. Two minor complaints: the chipping green by the range is also meant to be for putting but can get crowded and awkward if you have multiple players trying to accomplish both tasks. Also, the 19th hole bar is only open during certain hours and a lack of signage can make it difficult to determine where said bar is and where to go to grab a bite/drink if that bar is closed (there’s a poolside restaurant a little further down).

For my first ATX golf experience, I think Barton Creek was a great choice and I look forward to returning there on my next trip to Texas!

The day has finally come for this Austin Muni Kid to get her day in the sun and play Barton Creek! I got the elusive invite to play the Coore-Crenshaw Cliffside course and I will be floating on cloud 9 for a loooong time.

I did not play the course prior to its recent renovations, so I cannot compare the new conditions with the old; however, this course did not disappoint. It is a true Texas Hill Country course with perfectly manicured rolling fairways and views for days from the tee boxes. The large greens were a harsh reminder that I need to practice my putting, but a small price to pay for glorious golf.

A few things of note: bag drop off and parking for Cliffside is not clear for those driving into the resort just for golf (bag drop off designated by orange cones blocking the driveway to the proshop). I am assuming since everything is still pretty new, better signage will come along with time. Also, the 19th hole (Crenshaw Bar and Eatery) is not easy to find either, but worth the hunt with great views of the Fazio Foothills course from the patio.

Great routing and playable

The two Fazio courses at Barton Creek have more bells and whistles, but the Coore-Crenshaw Cliffside, recently renovated, is a lot of fun and has a great, walkable routing (that said, resort guests are discouraged from doing so). Fairways are forgiving and greens are large. The recent renovation rebuilt the bunkers and the turf quality is excellent.

I'd probably play this course the most if I was a member. If you're a resort guest, play this first before the Foothills, which is definitely tougher.

Better players may balk at the back-tee yardage of just 6,600 yards, and I don't love the little par-3 17th hole, which felt wedged in. But besides that it's just a very comfortable course to play in a gorgeous part of the Hill Country.

Since the resort was renovated and expanded, there is a new pro shop separate from the members. It's tough to figure out where you can have a drink afterwards to be honest. More of a climactic and natural finish on Foothills.

Great course in great conditions

This course was recently redeveloped and it shows. The greens were rolling very nicely and the fairways were perfect. There are a few difficult drives and a few easy drives. You need to take advantage of your approach shots and be able to putt well. The greens are large and sometimes deceiving, but that's the challenge of this course.

Hill Country Gem

Course in great shape. Greens are fast, which I'm not use to. Beautiful layout, deer are a common sight. Played from senior tees and, for a non long ball hitter, was VERY enjoyable. Plan on returning for the other two courses at this resort.

Texas Advisor

Cliffside Continues to Represent a "Must Play"

I first played this course about 15 years ago when I was first learning the game and finally made a trip back out there in December to see if it had changed. This course continues to have the best playing conditions of any of the courses on property and it possesses a simple, yet challenging golf experience.

I played from the tips and still felt the course plays a little short, but the narrowness of some of the fairways certainly factors in. I hit more irons off the tee than drivers, but when I needed to pull driver because of the hole length, I found a much wider fairway. Really well designed course, lots of ups and downs, doglegs both left and right, and a great mix of par 3s. I found myself hitting 4, 7, 8, 9 and GW on the par 3s which presented a good variety for a player.

Will certainly come back and I consider this and the Palmer Course to be tied for the best "value" yet "quality" courses when it comes to the Austin area.

Old Resort

Barton Creek overall needs a to-do. Showing signs of age.

This was a very beautiful golf course. The greens are large and have a lot of undulation. There was a lot of sand on the greens that had to be swept out of the way before putting. This occurred on several of the greens and slowed pace of play. Overall, I would recommend this course to everyone.

Valid dates: May 26, 2020 - Jul 12, 2020