2.2

ColoVista Golf Club

Year Built 1997
Architect Les Appelt (1997)

Austin Advisor

Not currently a gem in Bastrop.

I last reviewed this course six (6) years ago. At that time, it'd just reopened after being closed for four (4) years. I wrote about various conditions needing attention and my altruistic hope that it would all come together. Unfortunately, it hasn't.

As with the majority of my reviews, I'll talk a little about everything -- tee to green so to speak. And as much as I want every golf course to be successful, I have to be honest in my reviews.

It's always seemed a little funny/sad to drive up towards this southern looking mansion of a building/home/clubhouse ... only to park and walk over to this little side building. It's at that point to realize the big building is likely void of just about any activity. The true clubhouse is small, has a few things if you need them (balls, drinks, etc), but it generally lacking in personality (for lack of a better word). I generally notice a little bit of everything. Upon walking up to the clubhouse I noticed the landscaping (or lack of it) along with the rubber door mats lying around twisted and out of place. To me, it says no one cares enough to make the place presentable. And that, subsequently, carries over to the actual course to be played.

Tee Boxes -- They were quite average, nothing great but also no real complaints.

Cart Paths -- The cart paths are a mix of concrete, dirt, non-existent, etc. I understand there's a cost to putting down concrete but the fairways simply take that much more of a beating when you don't direct the carts around a hole. And because you don't see it every day, I took a picture of the path on #16. It was washed out years ago by flooding (I believe). And so it sits. Appropriate.

Fairways -- We've had some really nice fall weather albeit a little dry. Still, the fairways here were quite consistent with lots of dirt patches. Not areas with dead grass present ... just sandy dirt.

Bunkers & Water Hazards -- Yup, the water is wet; I found it once. Some of the bunkers had good sand, but others were way too compact (aka dirt). They were otherwise well cared for and raked.

Greens -- Oh, the greens. This is where you can really lose a stroke or six during a round of golf. The greens had likely been sanded in the week or two prior. Okay, that's perfectly normal. But the amount of dead spots (large dead spots) mirrored the look of many fairways. And no one should be putting through such obstacles. It really affected our play ... and our enjoyment of the round.

I was surprised to see USB ports in the carts. I didn't need them but like having them available. It's to the point I might actually start carrying a spare charging cable in my bag. One might the ability to charge if using an app or GPS to get yardage since I don't recall seeing any markings other than 150-yard poles. Hard to have lines spray painted on non-existent cart paths. And I don't recall seeing any sprinkler heads. But I was using an app all day and never bothered to look for any.

It's still a very quiet and peaceful course. It just needs a lot of love, money, and maintenance. It may work as one of a couple options for Bastrop locals, but at this time I can't recommend that anyone drive any distance to get there. Past that, maybe Buttross will buy it and sink a bunch of money into it.

Commented on 09/17/2019

Hello, Roaddoggnh. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give ColoVista Country Club and Resort another try in the near future.

Hole 15 makes the course

Overall the course is in rough shape, greens were tore up, fairways were not mowed down. Tee boxes were either soupy or hard as a rock. I will say that it looked as if they were trying to improve some of this by watering and planting new sprigs throughout. I look forward to playing this again and seeing the improvements that are made as this could be one of the most beautiful courses out there after some additional maintenance is done.
Hole 15 was fantastic and would definitely play again for that hole.
Golf cart brakes were iffy at best due to the hilly countryside. We had a bit of Tokyo Drift going on trying to get down the hill at 15 right after the rain.

Commented on 09/04/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give ColoVista Golf Club another try in the near future.

sad sad sad greens

All the greens were 1/4 to 1/2 just dirt. they are not watering the fairways and greens enough. So lots of dirt patches in most of the fairways. the 10th much of the fairway under repair. It is such a shame that this course is unplayable now. they have plenty of water on tap to get on the course( IE the colorado river and several ponds on site) but it is not getting to where it needs to be. Saw several places that were muddy or damp surprisingly. Yet greens and fairways are awful. It thik it was the 5th green is just dirt with a hole and a flag in it. two years ago this was a decent to good course now it is nowhere near that.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Hi, cooldude55. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing ColoVista Golf Club.

Avoid This Course

This course is in serious decline. The tee boxes were sparse. Fairways were barely fairways and the greens were half dirt half crappy grass. Very little water on the course to refill with. Overall it was a disappointment to play and I will never return.

Commented on 08/06/2019

Hello thwood. Thanks for the review. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. . We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing ColoVista Golf Club.

Great track

Great place to unwind and play two totally different 9s.

Last minute vacation game

Front nine needs development, second 9 makes up for it. Greens are rough but no rain. Very quiet and staff super friendly. Great Golfnow hot deal value!! Will do again

Weekend last minute

Great course for the money, Golfnow hotdeal made i it a great deal. Yes the front 9 are totally different from back and is fair to average but the back nine makes up for it! Greens are dry and patchy but it’s been dry. Will definitely return again. Staff was very friendly!

Beautiful Course, Great Hill Country Golf

The staff is very friendly. The course was in great shape, even with upgrades and renovations underway.
The overnight accommodations were clean, and the air conditioning was cold,. It was a great time overall.

Could be great, but its not

The layout of this course is pretty fun, as the front nine and back nine play as almost two completely different courses with their own unique challenges. For a June day, the weather was perfect, it wasn't overly crowded, and pace of play was good. With all of that said, the Greens are in horrendous condition. Every single green has large dead patches that are nothing but hard dirt with sand on top. They've been forced to place the pins on the small patches of the greens that are alive, so even if you hit a great second shot into the green, you may not be rewarded at all if you don't manage to put it on the living portions of the green. If this course was $20 it'd be worth it, but at $40, it just isn't in good enough shape currently.

Commented on 07/01/2019

Hi. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get the greens up to par. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are glad to see you rated the rest of your visit to be great during your game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing ColoVista Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Cold Day!

Played here before, course provides some challenges, but overall great fun, and value. I definitely will be back. Pace of play is excellent.

Colovista - a friend of the amateur golfer

Colovista Golf Course, a great friend to the amateur golfer. A friendly course design gives you 9 holes on the front to get warmed up & golf focused. You need that 9 because the back 9 is the real challenging test; wooded, framed with trees, elevation changes and challenging greens. Twenty golfers got together for a "guys golf weekend" and totally enjoyed the experience.

If for no other reason; come play the golf course to experience this hole. Take your time and take in the grand view. It is unique.

It is worth the price of the golf to experience and play #15, a par-3 that sits on the banks of the Colorado River, with tee-boxes towering 200 feet above the green. We nicknamed it "The Ledge" and it is quite an experience. Visually and physically it is unique and enjoyable.Beautiful.
Tip: Execute your golf shot by hitting to the front of the green and letting the terrain of the green roll you to the honey-hole. Do the math, the elevation of the tees is about 200 feet above the green, check your math then hit your shot. Being off the back of the green is slightly more difficult than being short of the green for your second shot.

Highlights
★ Hole #1: Cozy elevated tee-box set in a stone corner. An unexpected perch to tee your golf ball and let it fly.

★ Breath-taking view of the Colorado River and the countryside from the tee-box of the par-3 # 15. You won't find this anywhere else in Texas. See summary above.

★ Harder than nails #16 with a 90 degree dog-leg right, then plays uphill to the green. Elevation change that keeps the golf gods laughing at us poor amateurs.

★ #17 should be named Long Knocker; the most gettable par-5 on the course. Yes you can get there in 2, now make the putt.

★ Stay & Play (the Colovista Cottages) The group of 20 loved the convenience of being located alongside of the 2nd fairway. Having adult beverages after dark, sitting on the back porches, was highlighted by the uniquely lit proshop sitting on the rock outcropping above the cottages. Overall the cottages were very clean, well maintained and comfortable. Ask the staff about the community room to have access to a microwave and dining tables. We would like to see a BBQ pit or grill at the cottages.

★ Driving Range functional and very convenient to the cottages. Take time to use the nearby practice putting green - reading and putting the greens is very difficult.

★ Fun and professional staff.

★ Reasonably priced, good value.

Planning Tips:
Take your range-finder or GPS device, you will need it for determining distances.
Take breakfast items & cooler if you are staying in the cottages.
Hold-on, the cart paths need some work.

The Needville Guys totally enjoyed the weekend and the golf amenities,
We will be back

Nice greens, horrible fairways and cart paths

First time playing this course. The best I can say is that the greens were in very nice shape, but most of the fairways were in barren and horrible condition. The cart paths were non-existent and torn up on most of the holes. Signage is pretty poor as well (hole 5 especially) Perhaps it's a condition of playing in February, but this course needs a lot of work to justify the prices they're asking.

Commented on 03/08/2019

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at ColoVista Country Club. We are sorry to see that the fairways may not have been in the best shape when you played. Your feedback regarding signage is also greatly appreciated and we will use it to make the necessary improvements to the course. Our golfers' overall experience is extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you how we've improved. Thank you for your choosing our course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Good Course That CAN be Great Again

I really like Colovista and always have.

Back in it’s infancy under Mr Appel’s ownership it was in a league of its own.

Since the course reopened, you can really sense that there is pride in this track.

Saw lots of folks out working on the grounds today and the greens were really awesome and fast. Almost too fast for the degree of undulation in them.

The carts were very hesitant to engage and an almost threes second delay before they would take off. Seemed like a governor issue as this was the case on three different carts we tried. Pretty minor, but annoying.

With all of that said, this course is a GREAT value for the money and has lots of character. This Spring, depending on the amount of work that gets done it has the potential to be great again.

Some say cart paths are needed throughout the course, but I tend to disagree on that point.

I plan on trying to play this course at least once a month all the way through Fall 2019 to see how it progresses. I am really liking what I am seeing transpire our at Colovista. Keep up the great work!

Dry summer.

First, I’ll say that I am such a huge fan of this track, but curse this dry summer. Greens are in rough shape, and fairways are a tad rough as well. It’s tough to see myself paying full price for the conditions out there, but if you can catch a hot deal and just need to go play, give it a whirl.

Not worth the price!

For the price the course could be alot better. Looks like someone made a course in the back yard. Greens were okay loved the country scene. The lay out is great, but fairways, greens and cart path need improvemet.

Commented on 03/22/2019

Hello Jacob, Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the condition of the cart path. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing ColoVista Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon.

Bastrop, Texas