A view of a green protected by bunkers at River Falls Plantation

River Falls Golf Plantation in Duncan is a Gary Player Signature Course. Its location makes it convenient for meeting up with people coming from Asheville, Columbia, Atlanta, or Charlotte. The golf course is also just minutes away from downtown Greenville. The narrow layout will test the accuracy and shot making abilities of even the best golfers. Rolling hills provide a variety of elevation changes that range from subtle to dramatic. Water hazards come into play frequently and there are also strategically placed bunkers framing the greens and fairways. Player crafted a golf course that is both formidable and scenic. The abundance of mature trees helped him achieve this. He carefully wove River Falls Golf Plantation through the mature forests, allowing the trees to surround the holes, giving each a secluded and peaceful feel.

River Falls Plantation Golf Course

Year Built 1990
Greens Diamond Zoysia Grass
Architect Gary Player (1990)

Entertaining Clients 15

Enjoyable Round

Challenging holes make this course an upstate gem. Everyone enjoyed the round and our lunch at Tavern 290. Very friendly staff.

Overall good

Had a GN Hot deal that was booked for four(4). I checked in 40 min before tee time and no other had checked in. After looking for others that might be in my foursome, I went back to the pro shop to ask if any of the others had checked. I was told “no, haven’t seen anyone yet”. I then asked which foursome was on the tee box 5 minutes prior to my tee time. I was told you can just go behind them. Turns out two of them were supposed to be in my foursome, and they paired up with two others to leave me as a single. Impossible for the pro shop attendant to be unaware that they were booked with me. Not good.
Course was in good shape. Greens rolled very good. Watch the grain! Just an occasional wet spot in fairways- overall good. Pace of play was good. The course becomes more playable as you get more rounds under your belt, primarily due to some sneaky water and a blind shot hole on the back nine.
Still tied for the worst cart paths in the Upstate.

Do not waste your time

I have tried to play here 3-4x and had nothing but problems simply booking tee times. I've had bookings go through then you get to the course and they blame golf now, I have had them cancel bookings after confirmation on golf now, I've had the course be shut down after driving there to play and having a confirmation from golf now of tee times.

The staff is full of guys that couldn't care less if about the customer. Done with this place for good.

Commented on 05/13/2020

Hello, TheMcClaneShow. We appreciate you reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had when booking your round. Your feedback about confusion with GolfNow and tee time bookings is very helpful for future improvement. We sincerely apologize that this happened, and we would love if you would reach out to the golf shop to talk about this further. Thank you for playing River Falls Plantation. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 05/13/2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us 5 stars! We are already looking forward to having you back here soon!

Painstaking Pace

Love the course, but its pace of play is ridiculous. It’s a common problem for most public courses, but enough to make you give up golf.

Very serious issues....

Awesome conditions and course layout. We paid 42 dollars to play and I must share a VERY negative experience or experiences. There were numerous people walking the golf course paths like it was a public park or something??? While on the t box on number 8 a jogger appeared and was jogging directly toward us. We literally had to wait several minutes for her to jog pass us on the tee box before I hit my shot. I guess I could have took a chance on hitting her, but I’m just not that kind of person to endanger a lady being hit with a golf ball!!! This was the beginning of sorrows, there were three young blond headed girls driving all over the golf course, just joy riding in a golf cart??? They were residents in the neighborhood I assume. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!! I don’t know who there parents are but they are not very concerned about there children’s well being and safety. They were not showing us very much respect as they drove around disrupting our round of golf on numerous occasions. The girl that was driving looked to be middle school aged?!?!?? The other girls looked younger than her!!! While playing the 18th hole, I hit my approach shot, which is blind shot down the left hand side of the hole. When I drove over the hill, there were 3 more people walking the path and they were very lucky they didn’t did get hit! I pulled the shot and I’m sure it was very close to them. My foursome felt the same way about my concerns listed in this review. I sum it up with this, we paid for a steak and I got a piece bologna!!!! I was not very happy at all with this experience and if I return it will only be because of Gary Players work. We had also asked the pro shop if we could t off 15 minutes later than our t time and we were told that it was not possible, due to how busy the course was. We were told they were slammed. There was no one in front of us and no one behind us at all??? I have seen some other negative reviews in the past about how PAYING CUSTOMERS were treated on this golf course, and that may or may not have been true, but this review is.... The only reason this review is as high as it is, is because of the course conditions and design..... if you like hitting golf balls at people , this may be the best deal you will find for 42 bucks, I don’t know??? Sad, very sad....

Commented on 04/17/2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us! We look forward to having you back here soon!

Commented on 04/22/2020

Thanks for the 4 star rating!

Commented on 04/09/2020

Thanks so much for the 4 star rating! We're glad you enjoyed your time!

Commented on 04/06/2020

Thanks for taking the time to rate us, and we hope to have you back here again soon!

"The Grotto" 16th Hole

My wife are avid golfers and play once or twice a week, throughout South and North Carolina.

The Plantation of River Falls is our favorite course in the Upstate of South Carolina and play it at least twice a month. The staff are friendly and professional. Considering the weather conditions in early March, the course (especially the greens) was in great condition.

Love the entire layout of the course as each hole presents a different challenge. Our favorite hole is the 16th (which we nicked named the Grotto ... you will understand after you play it). With a nice downhill drive to about the 150 marker . . . you are within reach of the green sitting even further downhill with an easy iron shot. To the left of the narrow green is a rock formation that lends its' name "the Grotto" . . . to the right is the Tyger River.

Par is acceptable . . . a Birdie is always possible.

Love the Course . . . playing The Plantation today Can't wait.

Commented on 04/22/2020

Thanks for such a wonderful review! We're so glad to have golfers like you at the course, and we cannot wait to have you back here again soon!

River Falls

Greens were in great shape. Can’t wait to see the fairways come in with the greens where they are now.

Commented on 03/30/2020

Thank you for the review and rating!

Commented on 03/30/2020

We're so happy you had a great experience!

Great layout

Greens were not fast (but could be later in the year) mostly flat, smooth and true. Every hole was unique and fun to play except if it’s your first time, check the guide carefully there’s a lot you can’t see from the tee box. I had an early morning tee time so pace was excellent but I could see if it were a crowded afternoon, pace could be real slow. Definitely will play again.

Commented on 03/30/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, ronkay! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing River Falls Plantation!

Stop the rain

If it wasn’t for all the rain the state been getting the course would be better but the greens are in excellent condition. I think it’s one of the best courses in the upstate of SC.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Hello Bob. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thanks for visiting us!

Great course!

Staff in pro shop are direct and to the point. Not the nicest. I will say the grounds staff are fantastic and friendly.

Commented on 03/03/2020

Thanks so much for such kind words! We're glad you had such a lovely experience!

Good and bad

Let me start by saying the course is in good condition the greens are excellent. My 1st interactions with the proshop staff was terrible extremely rude and hasn't changed in the last year.Cart paths or what cart paths ,bumps ,holes etc. Drinks literally coming out of the holders. Golf now prices and good greens are the only reasons I play here.

Commented on 03/06/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Commented on 02/18/2020

Thanks for the 5-star rating!

Great Challenging Course

Surprised to find this hidden gem. I will def be back

Commented on 02/03/2020

Thanks so much for the lovely review!

Quick round before bad weather set in

8:00am first off as a single. Played two balls and got as far as the 8th before it started to snow. Waited 30mins hoping it would stop and melt but the rain set in so I called it a day. The greens were rolling good.

Commented on 02/06/2020

Thank you for visiting us at River Falls Plantation. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Woodruff, South Carolina